Fatal Mistake by CB Lovejoy

Fatal Mistake (edition 2012)

by CB Lovejoy

811,551,504 (4)1
Gabriela is a newspaper editor, nothing more. Tired of her longtime career, she takes a job as a spokeswoman for a U.S. Navy base, not realizing that her new employers have plans for her that go far beyond issuing press releases.There's a lot more going on in St. Mary's County, Maryland, than Gabby ever realized, and soon she is right in the middle of a dangerous mess.… (more)
Member:writemeg
Title:Fatal Mistake
Authors:CB Lovejoy
Info:CreateSpace (2012), Paperback, 136 pages
Tags:contemporary fiction, secrets, thriller

Fatal Mistake (A Gabby de Sales Novel) by CB Lovejoy

For suburban newspaper editor Gabby de Sales, life is all about the headline. Devoted to her readers in Maryland and without much more to call her own, Gabby never thought she was restless -- until a new job opportunity opens up. She's excited about the chance to work on a major military base and get out of hard news, but her new position comes with some caveats. And require very different skills than those listed on her resume.

In quick and sure-footed prose, Lovejoy introduces us to a heroine who has enough smarts to take care of herself in most situations -- but can't possibly predict the chain of events that will change her life. When Gabby accepts a public relations post at a large military base, she's given more than press releases to tackle. Training for a top-secret task requires every bit of strength and savvy she possesses.

Fatal Mistake is a fast thriller of a novel that takes us down a tunnel of deceit and allows us to emerge out the other side. We know Gabby's life is about to get very complicated -- but at points I felt it took too long to get to the action. I was antsy waiting for The Big Moment to happen, you know? I knew things were going to get dicey and felt nervous as we counted down to the chaos. Before we got there, though, the scenes leading up to Gabby's departure from the paper and arrival on base were some of my favorite ones. Her gentle ribbing of newsroom dynamics and office politics rang true for me.

Thrillers aren't my usual fare, but there was much more to the story than chasing bad guys and learning to shoot. Readers looking for a quick-paced story with a battle-ready Everywoman for a main character will find plenty to enjoy in Fatal Mistake. I enjoyed getting to know Gabby and rooted for her to come out the other side. At less than 150 pages, it can be easily read in an afternoon -- and you probably won't want to stop once you've started. I know I didn't. ( )
  writemeg | Feb 9, 2012 |
For my husband and daughters. Without you, I wouldn't be whole.
It's always easy to look back and realize you made a mistake, but it's rare to be able to pinpoint the exact moment that you not only made a mistake, but made the biggest mistake of your life.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,751,165 books! | Top bar: Always visible