Batwoman | The New 52 Volume 1: Hydrology by…

Batwoman | The New 52 Volume 1: Hydrology (edition 2012)

by J.H. Williams III, W. Hayden Blackman, Amy Reeder (Illustrator)

Title:Batwoman | The New 52 Volume 1: Hydrology
Authors:J.H. Williams III
Other authors:W. Hayden Blackman, Amy Reeder (Illustrator)
Info:DC Comics (2012), Hardcover, 160 pages
Collections:Your library, Comics
Tags:Comics, DC Comics, Batman, Capes

Batwoman Volume 1: Hydrology by III J. H. Williams

Kate Kane is juggling taking her cousin under her wing, hooking up with a new lover, avoiding her dad, and, oh yeah, being Batwoman. Batwoman is on the case trying to track down some children who have gone missing under supernatural circumstances and is meanwhile herself being pursued by the Department of Extranormal Operations, who are dying to find out her real identity.

After having read Batwoman: Elegy when it came out, I was immediately in love with the new approach and backstory to Batwoman. This addition follows in the same vein and doesn't disappoint. The story isn't really self-contained, although there is enough of an introduction to catch new readers up to speed. However, this book ends with part of the mystery very much still up in the air for the next edition to pick up. In addition, there's a lot of crossover material going on here, so the better versed the reader is in the DC Universe, the more he or she will grasp of the nuances of character and etc.

Still, all in all, this made for an entertaining, fast-paced read that developed characters and had a number of interesting storylines. As with Batwoman: Elegy, J.H. Williams III once again stuns with his illustrations, creating gorgeous spreads that make use of realistic drawings, dynamic action shots, brilliant colors, and unique panel displays (including a few bat-shaped panel arrangements). Even if the story were awful, this book would be worth picking up for the illustrations alone. Luckily, the reader is treated here to both a compelling story and gorgeous artwork. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Sep 12, 2015 |
Mesmo sem história tão forte como a do Batman do Snyder, ou a pujança dos textos do Azzarello aliada ao traço único de Chiang, a arte de J.H. Williams III compensa todos os eventuais «defeitos» narrativos.
Um dos grandes New 52. ( )
  Ritinha_ | Aug 26, 2015 |
Not very impressed. I'm not familiar with this character, except for meeting her in a brief cameo in one of the "Court of Owls or actually, I think "Death of Family" story arc books. I'm pretty big into the whole Batfamily so needed to check this out. I had a hard time forming an opinion of Kate Kane or any other characters. There was little development and not much background information though some hints are dropped and I'm presuming we'll learn more about her past as her series continues. Overall, just not a very compelling or stimulating story, no real villains or good battle scenes. I like Batwoman's physical appearance; her costume is cool and love! the hair. A similar colour to mine it gives me some hairstyling ideas. Otherwise, I wasn't impressed with the art. I don't plan on reading any more in the series unless they tie-in with other story arcs, at this point. ( )
  ElizaJane | May 28, 2015 |
The artwork was the main saving point of the this graphic novel series. It lacked character depth and the dialogue seemed forced. ( )
  SparklePonies | Mar 28, 2014 |
So here I am, jumping into another New 52 title. I was mostly interested in Batwoman/Kate Kane because I know she's a lesbian, but I knew very little else about her, so it was a bit tough to just jump right in here, even though the New 52 is supposed to be a reboot.

I enjoyed it, though; I like that in contrast to what I normally think of when I think of the Batfamily, without supernatural elements, here we've got Kate Kane basically going through an episode of Supernatural. It's interesting reading that at the same time as I'm getting into Batgirl -- and I like that there's plenty of stuff around in Kate's normal life, too. More than Batgirl's, maybe; I got more of a sense of the wider world surrounding Kate, anyway.

The art looks really cool; I love the red/black look Kate's got going on. ( )
1 vote shanaqui | Mar 1, 2014 |

J. H. Williams, IIIprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blackman, W. HadenAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Reeder, AmyIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Friend, RichardArtist ("Beyond the Shadow," Kate sequence)secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Klein, ToddLetterersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stewart, DaveColoristsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Batwoman Assessment, Night 7: Proving my hypothesis is taking longer than expected... I still haven't verified Batwoman is, in fact, Kate Kane.

Batwoman (a.ka. Kate Kane) faces deadly new challenges in her war against Gotham City's underworld, and new trials in her personal life.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,858,383 books! | Top bar: Always visible