Batwoman | The New 52 Volume 1: Hydrology by…

Batwoman | The New 52 Volume 1: Hydrology (edition 2012)

by J.H. Williams III, W. Hayden Blackman, Amy Reeder (Illustrator)

Member:Marzeh
Title:Batwoman | The New 52 Volume 1: Hydrology
Authors:J.H. Williams III
Other authors:W. Hayden Blackman, Amy Reeder (Illustrator)
Info:DC Comics (2012), Hardcover, 160 pages
Collections:Your library, Comics
Rating:*****
Tags:Comics, DC Comics, Batman, Capes

Batwoman Volume 1: Hydrology by III J. H. Williams

Wow.

I was a little worried when I started this because I had wanted to read it so much and had really liked Elegy. But for the most part this first Batwoman Volume in the New 52 Reboot lived up to my expectations.

Like the other Batman characters she was only partially rebooted and actually it seemed almost like her story wasn't rebooted. A ton of what happened in Elegy still did here. The relationships she had before were still parts of her past.

In this collection she goes up against some sort of water demon of a sort who's taking kids. She also gets to try and dodge the DEO government agency. And she gets to talk back to Batman, who wants to control her just as he does the rest of Gotham vigilantes.

Those scenes are some of my favorites because the Batwoman character has never played along with Batwoman. She's patterned after him, and yet I love how the writers have made her a very separate character.

Of course, my favorite scenes are between Maggie and both Batwoman and Kate Kane (Batwoman's real identity), and unlike in Elegy the relationships seems to be so very interesting, and I can't wait to see what twists and turns it takes. ( )
1 vote DanieXJ | Jun 26, 2016 |
Solid 3 stars.

Not much to say about this one, except "Meh".

The artwork was fantastic, and I really like the contrasts with the red/black color scheme Ms. Kane chose for her costume. I'm not sure about the whole ghostly white skin, though. Wouldn't that give her secret identity away?

The story was okay, but I have one question. When did the Bat-family of books start moving to outright mystical/paranormal mysteries? the main storyline in this volume dealt with trying to find a couple of children abducted by a ghost. It was all very "out there", and well beyond what I remember the "World's Greatest Detective" handling.

I'm not sure I'll continue this series, unless it's on sale or on a deep discount. ( )
  ssimon2000 | May 31, 2016 |
Okay. Ich weiß nicht, was davon halten. Ich mag, wie detailliert die Zeichnungen sind und wie komplex die Seiten aufgebaut sind - also, zum Anschauen. Zum Lesen ist das leider die Hölle, ich mag simple, klar abgegrenzte Panels soooo viel lieber. Solche, wo klar ist, wo es gerade weitergeht…

Die Geschichte hat mich auch nicht mitgerissen. Zu viel hin und her, zu viel Gerede über Schuld und "Verrücktheit". Dass Batwoman eine Polizistin datet, ist auch komisch. (Obwohl die Polizistin eine coole Figur ist und ich die beiden trotzdem süß finde. Aber. Warum immer Polizist_innen.)

Trotzdem… ja, cool zu lesen war es schon? ( )
  kthxy | May 6, 2016 |
Kate Kane is juggling taking her cousin under her wing, hooking up with a new lover, avoiding her dad, and, oh yeah, being Batwoman. Batwoman is on the case trying to track down some children who have gone missing under supernatural circumstances and is meanwhile herself being pursued by the Department of Extranormal Operations, who are dying to find out her real identity.

After having read Batwoman: Elegy when it came out, I was immediately in love with the new approach and backstory to Batwoman. This addition follows in the same vein and doesn't disappoint. The story isn't really self-contained, although there is enough of an introduction to catch new readers up to speed. However, this book ends with part of the mystery very much still up in the air for the next edition to pick up. In addition, there's a lot of crossover material going on here, so the better versed the reader is in the DC Universe, the more he or she will grasp of the nuances of character and etc.

Still, all in all, this made for an entertaining, fast-paced read that developed characters and had a number of interesting storylines. As with Batwoman: Elegy, J.H. Williams III once again stuns with his illustrations, creating gorgeous spreads that make use of realistic drawings, dynamic action shots, brilliant colors, and unique panel displays (including a few bat-shaped panel arrangements). Even if the story were awful, this book would be worth picking up for the illustrations alone. Luckily, the reader is treated here to both a compelling story and gorgeous artwork. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Sep 12, 2015 |
Mesmo sem história tão forte como a do Batman do Snyder, ou a pujança dos textos do Azzarello aliada ao traço único de Chiang, a arte de J.H. Williams III compensa todos os eventuais «defeitos» narrativos.
Um dos grandes New 52. ( )
  Ritinha_ | Aug 26, 2015 |

J. H. Williams, IIIprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blackman, W. HadenAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Asselin, JanelleAssociate Editor - Original Seriessecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Friend, RichardArtist ("Beyond the Shadow," Kate sequence)secondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hamboussi, PeterEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Marts, MikeEditor - Original Seriessecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Purdin, RickeyAssistant Editor - Original Seriessecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Reeder, AmyIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Richards, HarveyAssociate Editor - Original Seriessecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stewart, DaveColoristsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Klein, ToddLetterersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Batwoman Assessment, Night 7: Proving my hypothesis is taking longer than expected... I still haven't verified Batwoman is, in fact, Kate Kane.

Batwoman (a.ka. Kate Kane) faces deadly new challenges in her war against Gotham City's underworld, and new trials in her personal life.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,405,250 books! | Top bar: Always visible