The Light Between Oceans: A Novel by ML…

The Light Between Oceans: A Novel (original 2012; edition 2012)

by ML Stedman

3,6993391,418 (3.96)1 / 320
Title:The Light Between Oceans: A Novel
Authors:ML Stedman
Info:Scribner (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 352 pages

The Light Between Oceans by M. L. Stedman (2012)

Silas Marner by George Eliot (aliklein)
    Blackberry Winter by Sarah Jio (dara85)
    dara85: This takes place in the past (1930's), a child is taken and goes to live with another family, involves a crime
    The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards (aliklein)
    The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton (dara85)
    Latitudes of Melt by Joan Clark (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: A infant washes ashore on a remote island and is adopted by the locals, although the child's origins remain a mystery. Although Latitudes of Melt is set in Canada, not Australia, both character-driven historical novels are lush, detailed, and descriptive.… (more)
    Moloka'i by Alan Brennert (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: Both books have exotic, isolated settings and characters who experience great love as well as great loss.

English (346)  Dutch (1)  All languages (347)
Magnificent first book!! A most wonderful heartfelt story....so incredibly well written...highly recommended!! ( )
  stevetempo | Oct 23, 2016 |
I was glad to finish this book. it went on and on, and I never liked it better the further I read. It started off with a contrived story which I found off-putting. Then the story proceeded along not believable lines. I didn't like any of the characters except for Tom, but then I grew to dislike him as well since he couldn't be honest with the woman he supposedly loved. There were too many plot twists with individual characters changing their minds. The end of the book was off-putting due to the story continuing to develop without the need for that.

What I did like about this book, however, was the story of life in Australia on a small island containing a lighthouse. I thought that part was fascinating.

I would only read more works by this author if this person would make a more believable plot and work on character psychology more. Life may have lots of twists, but a good story should dwell more on believable characters and plot. ( )
  SqueakyChu | Oct 19, 2016 |
I'm not sure where to start with a review of this book. It is a book that moved me in so many different ways as well as challenging my thinking about what was right and wrong on so many different levels. Such terrible choices were made or had to be made at points in the book, and people who couldn't cope with what life threw at their door. The ending was also so sad! I am sure this won't be the only time I read the book but do wonder if it will be the same knowing what is going to happen. All I can say is this is one of my favourite books of this year and I am sure will make my favourites list in the future. I listened to this book and I know some have complained about the narrator but for me I think he did a really effective job of transmitting the mood and emotion. Do read this book! ❤️💔 ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Oct 14, 2016 |
Definitely recommend the Audio Book. Excellent narration and story. Five full stars. Highly recommended! ( )
  erinclark | Oct 12, 2016 |
The story begins in thoughtfulness and introspection, suited to the isolated life it describes. The characters are full, believable and drawn with respect. These qualities, plus profound observations on the human condition, pulled me into the novel right away. But what I liked in the beginning fell apart towards the middle when actions that seemed foolish and false were excused because the characters were "desperate." The conclusion redeemed the story somewhat, but I was not convinced by the preceding narrative that Isabel would really have arrived at her final climactic decision. ( )
  trwm | Oct 6, 2016 |
Light" is a story you want to finish, despite some predictability problems. I cared about Tom and Isabel, and cheered for them even as they betrayed each other. And I was charmed by the supporting cast of characters (Bluey and Ralph in particular).

Stedman's grasp of the dialect of the region's inhabitants and dialogue fitting for the era are admirable. Her writing is sound, if sometimes uninspiring, but every so often she throws out a gorgeous line that you have to stop and read twice to appreciate, like this one: "A goblin thought jumps onto her shoulder: what's the point of tomorrow?" Or, "The rain is falling more heavily, and in the distance, thunder grumbles at being left behind by the lightning." Nice.

First-time novelist Stedman did what all good writers should do: She got her readers emotionally invested in her story.

As if you needed it, here's more proof that this novel is worth your time: The film rights have already been picked up.

The miraculous arrival of a child in the life of a barren couple delivers profound love but also the seeds of destruction.......A polished, cleverly constructed and very precisely calculated first novel
As time passes, the harder the decision becomes to undo and the more towering is its impact. This is the story of its terrible consequences.

But it is also a description of the extraordinary, sustaining power of a marriage to bind two people together in love, through the most emotionally harrowing circumstances.

Light Between Oceans' is tough to shake off....And to the author's credit, Light's resolution is neither sensationalistic nor overly tidy. Everyone in this book has to make tough choices, including the little girl. By letting neither her readers nor her characters off the hook easily, Stedman creates a bond that makes her book tough to shake off.

In memory of my parents
On the day of the miracle, Isabel was kneeling at the cliff's edge, tending the small, newly made driftwood cross.
There are still more days to travel in this life. And he knows that the man who makes the journey has been shaped by every day and every person along the way.
History is that which is agreed upon by mutual consent.

After four harrowing years on the Western Front, Tom Sherbourne returns to Australia and takes a job as the lighthouse keeper on Janus Rock, nearly half a day’s journey from the coast. To this isolated island, where the supply boat comes once a season and shore leaves are granted every other year at best, Tom brings a young, bold, and loving wife, Isabel. Years later, after two miscarriages and one stillbirth, the grieving Isabel hears a baby’s cries on the wind. A boat has washed up onshore carrying a dead man and a living baby.

Tom, whose records as a lighthouse keeper are meticulous and whose moral principles have withstood a horrific war, wants to report the man and infant immediately. But Isabel has taken the tiny baby to her breast. Against Tom’s judgment, they claim her as their own and name her Lucy. When she is two, Tom and Isabel return to the mainland and are reminded that there are other people in the world. Their choice has devastated one of them.

M. L. Stedman’s mesmerizing, beautifully written novel seduces us into accommodating Isabel’s decision to keep this “gift from God.” And we are swept into a story about extraordinarily compelling characters seeking to find their North Star in a world where there is no right answer, where justice for one person is another’s tragic loss.

The Light Between Oceans is exquisite and unforgettable, a deeply moving novel.

1926. Tom Sherbourne is a young lighthouse keeper on a remote island off Western Australia. The only inhabitants of Janus Rock, he and his wife, Isabel, live a quiet life, cocooned from the rest of the world.
The one April morning a boat washes ashore carrying a dead man and a crying infant - and the path of the couple's lives hits an unthinkable crossroads.
Only years later do they discover the devastating consequences of the decision they made that day - as the baby's real story unfolds...
M.L.STEDMAN'S debut is the mesmerising novel of loyalty, love and unbearable choices.

"A novel set on a remote Australian island, where a childless couple live quietly running a lighthouse, until a boat carrying a baby washes ashore"--

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Light Between Oceans: A Novel by M. L. Stedman was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,812,945 books! | Top bar: Always visible