The Light Between Oceans: A Novel [Light…

The Light Between Oceans: A Novel [Light Between Oceans] by ML Stedman (original 2012; edition 2012)

by MLs

3,3563101,619 (3.97)1 / 280
Member:Ladydncing
Title:The Light Between Oceans: A Novel [Light Between Oceans] by ML Stedman
Authors:MLs
Info:Scribner (2012), Hardcover, 352 pages
Tags:Historical fiction, Australia, lighthouses, marriage, read in 2012

The Light Between Oceans by M. L. Stedman (2012)

Silas Marner by George Eliot (aliklein)
    Blackberry Winter by Sarah Jio (dara85)
    dara85: This takes place in the past (1930's), a child is taken and goes to live with another family, involves a crime
    The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards (aliklein)
    The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton (dara85)
    Latitudes of Melt by Joan Clark (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: A infant washes ashore on a remote island and is adopted by the locals, although the child's origins remain a mystery. Although Latitudes of Melt is set in Canada, not Australia, both character-driven historical novels are lush, detailed, and descriptive.… (more)
    Moloka'i by Alan Brennert (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: Both books have exotic, isolated settings and characters who experience great love as well as great loss.

English (317)  Dutch (1)  All languages (318)
The lightkeeper takes a wife. The wife takes a child. Too bad, she wasn't supposed to keep her.

This is a nicely written story, with characters I liked even when I disapproved of some of their actions. The aftermath of war, the loneliness of being alone on an island, the grief of losing children, it's all covered and the story is engaging.

While I enjoyed reading (well, actually listening to) this book, and while I thought the writing was very good, the plot was just a bit too melodramatic for my tastes. The author didn't overplay the melodrama with the writing, but still, it felt just a little too forced to me,

Nevertheless, I liked this book and am glad I listened to it. The narrator, too, was very good. ( )
  TooBusyReading | Apr 30, 2016 |
Loved this book. Couldn't put it down. It is not for those who want fairy tale romance. It is a gripping tale which gives a great insight into life as a light house keeper, but is mostly a deep and passionate experience of the love between a mother and child. Be prepared to be intensely moved and to wrestle with moral issues right to the end. ( )
  CarolPreston | Apr 25, 2016 |
By the end, I shed a few tears. For the first hundred pages I vacillated between abandoning the book or seeing it through. From there, I felt I was reading something very honestly depicting the shredding of people's lives and emotions and the aftermath of what that kind of destruction brings - and how you can pick up the pieces through forgiveness, or not. This is a concept I am intimately familiar with. There was a strange juxtaposition for me where the outward dialogue rang false - the way they talked seemed too modern for the epoch - but the interior upheaval, as described on the page, was faithful to the human condition. This story is also an astute example of the connectedness of our actions and inactions - the way incidents, seemingly unrelated, can have never dreamed of consequences for people you may never know. Reading this story made me think often of the old saying, "The road to hell is paved with good intentions." That's not all this is, but sure does come to mind. ( )
  libbromus | Apr 12, 2016 |
Tuzna prica koja izmamljuje suze u ocima, cuvarima svetionika jednog dana doluta camac sa malom bebom Lusi i Tom i Izabela su spremni sve da ucine da zadrze malo stvorenje samo za sebe,ali kajanje izjeda ... ( )
  ceca78 | Apr 10, 2016 |
Caught in the middle, caught in a lie, caught in life. Everyone loses but everyone gains. Makes you think. A story to get lost in. ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |
Light" is a story you want to finish, despite some predictability problems. I cared about Tom and Isabel, and cheered for them even as they betrayed each other. And I was charmed by the supporting cast of characters (Bluey and Ralph in particular).

Stedman's grasp of the dialect of the region's inhabitants and dialogue fitting for the era are admirable. Her writing is sound, if sometimes uninspiring, but every so often she throws out a gorgeous line that you have to stop and read twice to appreciate, like this one: "A goblin thought jumps onto her shoulder: what's the point of tomorrow?" Or, "The rain is falling more heavily, and in the distance, thunder grumbles at being left behind by the lightning." Nice.

First-time novelist Stedman did what all good writers should do: She got her readers emotionally invested in her story.

As if you needed it, here's more proof that this novel is worth your time: The film rights have already been picked up.

The miraculous arrival of a child in the life of a barren couple delivers profound love but also the seeds of destruction.......A polished, cleverly constructed and very precisely calculated first novel

As time passes, the harder the decision becomes to undo and the more towering is its impact. This is the story of its terrible consequences.

But it is also a description of the extraordinary, sustaining power of a marriage to bind two people together in love, through the most emotionally harrowing circumstances.

Light Between Oceans' is tough to shake off....And to the author's credit, Light's resolution is neither sensationalistic nor overly tidy. Everyone in this book has to make tough choices, including the little girl. By letting neither her readers nor her characters off the hook easily, Stedman creates a bond that makes her book tough to shake off.

In memory of my parents
On the day of the miracle, Isabel was kneeling at the cliff's edge, tending the small, newly made driftwood cross.
There are still more days to travel in this life. And he knows that the man who makes the journey has been shaped by every day and every person along the way.

After four harrowing years on the Western Front, Tom Sherbourne returns to Australia and takes a job as the lighthouse keeper on Janus Rock, nearly half a day’s journey from the coast. To this isolated island, where the supply boat comes once a season and shore leaves are granted every other year at best, Tom brings a young, bold, and loving wife, Isabel. Years later, after two miscarriages and one stillbirth, the grieving Isabel hears a baby’s cries on the wind. A boat has washed up onshore carrying a dead man and a living baby.

Tom, whose records as a lighthouse keeper are meticulous and whose moral principles have withstood a horrific war, wants to report the man and infant immediately. But Isabel has taken the tiny baby to her breast. Against Tom’s judgment, they claim her as their own and name her Lucy. When she is two, Tom and Isabel return to the mainland and are reminded that there are other people in the world. Their choice has devastated one of them.

M. L. Stedman’s mesmerizing, beautifully written novel seduces us into accommodating Isabel’s decision to keep this “gift from God.” And we are swept into a story about extraordinarily compelling characters seeking to find their North Star in a world where there is no right answer, where justice for one person is another’s tragic loss.

The Light Between Oceans is exquisite and unforgettable, a deeply moving novel.

1926. Tom Sherbourne is a young lighthouse keeper on a remote island off Western Australia. The only inhabitants of Janus Rock, he and his wife, Isabel, live a quiet life, cocooned from the rest of the world.
The one April morning a boat washes ashore carrying a dead man and a crying infant - and the path of the couple's lives hits an unthinkable crossroads.
Only years later do they discover the devastating consequences of the decision they made that day - as the baby's real story unfolds...
M.L.STEDMAN'S debut is the mesmerising novel of loyalty, love and unbearable choices.

"A novel set on a remote Australian island, where a childless couple live quietly running a lighthouse, until a boat carrying a baby washes ashore"--

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Light Between Oceans: A Novel by M. L. Stedman was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,256,243 books! | Top bar: Always visible