The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken

The Darkest Minds (edition 2012)

by Alexandra Bracken

Collections:Kindle, Reviewed, Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:YA, Review, NetGalley, Science Fiction, Dystopia, Kindle

The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken

You know, usually I judge a book by it's dialog. It really pisses me off when a book goes for several chapters without any interaction with anyone. No dialog at all. Fuck that shit.

But this book has plenty of dialog. And, I hate it. It tells nothing of the characters. There's no sense of urgency. There's nothing moving the story along. There's no motivation to keep reading, to find out what the fuck is going on.

I could find nothing that would make me care about these characters at all. While reading this book, I kept hoping that most of them would die a horrible death. At least that would make the story more interesting.

This story is about a dystopian future, where kids are being wiped out by a deadly plague. Our first-person narrator, Ruby, is somehow immune to the plague, and because of this, she develops some kind of super-powers. Don't ask me what the fuck these super-powers were, because I couldn't understand any of it.

If you're looking for a good Young Adult series to read, skip this one. It's a total fucking waste of time.

gecizzle | Mar 5, 2015 |
The darkest Minds is about a young girl who was taken away from her home at age ten after most of the children in America died due to a virus. The only kids who survived developed special ability's, These kids were feared by the government and taken away and sorted by their ability's. The most dangerous, the reds,and oranges were killed when the least dangerous, the greens and blues, were allowed to live inside the camps until 'cured'.
Ruby, the main character, had been living inside one of the most brutal camps for over six years ever since her tenth birthday when she erased her parents memories of her. Surprised to find a child in their home, they called the police and had her sent away.

I loved the book, The Darkest Minds. I would defiantly reccomend it.
  MoBo14 | Mar 2, 2015 |
I will defintely be reading the sequel to this one! ( )
  luminescent_bookworm | Jan 27, 2015 |
Review posted first at https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1070092886

I've heard so many good things about The Darkest Minds so you could guess that I was extremely excited to delve into this book. It didn't necessarily blow me away, but it still held my attention.

There was such good character depth in this book. I slightly despised Ruby at the beginning, but she really develops as a character after that. Liam is so caring, sweet, and such a wannabe-hero, it's so cute! And the "side" characters like Zu and Chubs? They're real and their existence contributes quite a lot throughout the whole book.

The synopsis made the Liam/Ruby romance sound so cheesy, but surprisingly, it isn't. I love how Liam and Ruby aren't always just dependent on each other and that they both had unique histories and friendships. I love how Ruby doesn't always just daydream about him and makes her own choices - even though they may turn out to be stupid ones, as demonstrated in the ending.

The plot is complex and very well thought out. The author doesn't tell us what happens in the story, she just shows us and assumes we're smart enough to piece it together. We slowly dip into the story and watch as the dystopian world builds around us.

Alexandra Bracken has the rare and special power that allows a reader to perfectly capture the scenes in the book using just a few words. She doesn't have to write two to three paragraphs to describe a place or use big words that just confuse readers. She has an epigrammatic writing style that I haven't seen in many books until now.

The following are a few of my favorite quotes from the book that have stuck with me:

“He’s so busy looking inside people to find the good that he misses the knife they’re holding in their
hand.”

“The darkest minds tend to hide behind the most unlikely faces.”

“Better to stay in the gray than get eaten by the dark.”

"“There’s only one bathroom,” Martin announced. “I’m using it first. Maybe if you’re lucky, I’ll leave some water for you.”

Maybe if I’m lucky, you’ll drown yourself in it."

As a conclusion, I'd like to state that The Darkest Minds is an enthralling book that hypnotizes the reader and leaves you begging for more. I'd recommend this book to anyone interested in dystopias that include plagues, a controlling government, and kids with freaky powers. ( )
  fatimareadsbooks | Dec 16, 2014 |
Mixed feelings about this book. It definitely had a slow start, but the last half certainly picked up the pace, and the ending piqued my taste for more. Still, I had a lot of trouble getting though the first half and nearly considered ditching this book for another. It took me a while to even like the main character, Ruby, and a number of the other characters initially encountered in this book were downright creepy. Worth the read, but not certain I will continue this series. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Oct 22, 2014 |
For Stephanie and Daniel, who were in every minivan with me
PROLOGUE: When the white noise went off, we were in the garden, pulling weeds.
Grace Somerfield was the first to die.

"Sixteen-year-old Ruby breaks out of a government-run 'rehabilitation camp' for teens who acquired dangerous powers after surviving a virus that wiped out most American children"--

34 wanted4 pay7 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,570,889 books! | Top bar: Always visible