The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken

The Darkest Minds (edition 2012)

by Alexandra Bracken

Collections:Kindle, Reviewed, Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:YA, Review, NetGalley, Science Fiction, Dystopia, Kindle

The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken

Solid teen fiction about a plague, IAAN, that strikes humanities children, killing 90%. Of those that remain, a portion have developed psionic powers allowing them to control or infiltrate the minds of others or their surroundings. These children have been gathered by the government and placed in internment camps to keep them under control. When 4 of them come together: Liam, Chubs, Ruby and Suzume, they find themselves on their own facing impossible odds - avoiding the PSF forces, avoiding the skip tracers, learning how to use their powers and of course, for 2 of them, falling in love. But for Ruby and Liam, there is no happy ending. What Ruby has to do to save them both, may be too much for her. ( )
  phoenixcomet | May 28, 2015 |
Young Reader Reaction: The most lovable feature of this book for me is the diverse group of characters. The group we follow through the book develops into a close-knit community of friends by the end; friends you come to love and cherish. The way the author eases you into the idea of these different categories of super abilities is very well done. She does not patronize the reader, and she doesn't get ahead of herself in the narrative. I also really enjoyed the society the author created and the way the people handle the children with these abilities. It seems very well thought out and convincing. Though I won’t give anything away, I have to say that the ending will definitely keep me around for the second book! There is not much to dislike about this one.

Note: Because this book explores darker themes, I would only recommend giving this a a gift to someone who has said they want to read it, or someone who likes "heavier" Dystopian fantasies.

Adult Reader Reaction: Review pending.

Pros: With its well-paced narrative, authentic characters, and strong story, teens AND adults will enjoy this provocative YA novel.

Read our full review and add yours at The Reading Tub®.
  TheReadingTub | May 16, 2015 |
How to write a typical Dystopian adventure, and get it completely, 100% right.

I really enjoyed this book. I had such high hopes going into this book and it did not disappoint me at all.

Really interesting premise and awesome characters, and oh mY GOD A FEMALE CHARACTER THAT I ACTUALLY LIKE!!!1! Great world building.

Maybe a little predictable at times, but there's so many dystopian stories out there now that they're obviously all going to be following the same recipe. This one is no different, but it doesn't take away from your enjoyment at all.

That ending, though. Welcome to heartbreak hotel.

I can't wait for book 2 to arrive. ( )
  LydiaLeigh257 | Apr 29, 2015 |
You know, usually I judge a book by it's dialog. It really pisses me off when a book goes for several chapters without any interaction with anyone. No dialog at all. Fuck that shit.

But this book has plenty of dialog. And, I hate it. It tells nothing of the characters. There's no sense of urgency. There's nothing moving the story along. There's no motivation to keep reading, to find out what the fuck is going on.

I could find nothing that would make me care about these characters at all. While reading this book, I kept hoping that most of them would die a horrible death. At least that would make the story more interesting.

This story is about a dystopian future, where kids are being wiped out by a deadly plague. Our first-person narrator, Ruby, is somehow immune to the plague, and because of this, she develops some kind of super-powers. Don't ask me what the fuck these super-powers were, because I couldn't understand any of it.

If you're looking for a good Young Adult series to read, skip this one. It's a total fucking waste of time.

gecizzle | Mar 5, 2015 |
The darkest Minds is about a young girl who was taken away from her home at age ten after most of the children in America died due to a virus. The only kids who survived developed special ability's, These kids were feared by the government and taken away and sorted by their ability's. The most dangerous, the reds,and oranges were killed when the least dangerous, the greens and blues, were allowed to live inside the camps until 'cured'.
Ruby, the main character, had been living inside one of the most brutal camps for over six years ever since her tenth birthday when she erased her parents memories of her. Surprised to find a child in their home, they called the police and had her sent away.

I loved the book, The Darkest Minds. I would defiantly reccomend it.
  MoBo14 | Mar 2, 2015 |
For Stephanie and Daniel, who were in every minivan with me
PROLOGUE: When the white noise went off, we were in the garden, pulling weeds.
Grace Somerfield was the first to die.

"Sixteen-year-old Ruby breaks out of a government-run 'rehabilitation camp' for teens who acquired dangerous powers after surviving a virus that wiped out most American children"--

34 wanted4 pay7 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,380,857 books! | Top bar: Always visible