The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken

The Darkest Minds (edition 2012)

by Alexandra Bracken

Collections:Kindle, Reviewed, Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:YA, Review, NetGalley, Science Fiction, Dystopia, Kindle

The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken

Unwind by Neal Shusterman (aeleone)
    aeleone: Similar set up with children abandoned by their parents sent to a camp. The Unwind series does not have supernatural powers, but it does have a very messed up world in which children are not valued.

Every time....

I love dystopia. I love a good story. I love strong characters, but I don't really like YA.

Aaaaand therein lies the problem, as YA is the go to theme for an dystopian novel. It combines the cruelty of a new world with the fragility of children. The end result is an guaranteed emotional impact on a wide scale. Human instinct is always to protect the kiddies, no matter what. So when you see the little ones trying to figure out life and stay alive at the same time, your heart clenches. It also makes your heart melt whenever that first kiss falls.

Sadly, it also means a set pattern of plot development with preset content that has been laid in by others. The loneliness and fear, followed by unreasonable cruelty. Escape and danger, the first drops of romance....

I will usually read the first in the series and decide if the novel is taking me to where I want to go. By that I mean, does it lay the foundation toward something I haven't read before. The Darkest Minds doesn't. Although, the story has been gripping enough, and well written it's still a vanilla flavored YA, with an addition of one element that kept bugging me: Ruby was devastated throughout the novel about her accidentally erasing herself from the memories of others. Yet, when she practiced her abilities she had no problems invading other people's minds and doing dubious stuff – making a girl think her name was Theodore, and every time somebody would correct her, she would cry.... and her moral stand on it?

Just like that I've realised, Ruby's a dick. Don't want to touch anyone, in case I become lonely, but hey I'll mess you up real bad and watch you squirm, just or shits and giggles...

Moving on...

The overall story was good, but I won't be continuing the series. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.... ( )
  IvieHill | Aug 6, 2015 |
I CAN'T BELIEVE SHE WENT HERE
WE DO NOT SPEAK OF THIS EVER. ( )
  thatgirlbookworm | Aug 5, 2015 |
All the hype surrounding this book is uncalled for. I read it, and although I enjoyed it, it wasn't utterly magnificent. First of all, some things didn't make sense. Where did these kids get their powers from? The disease itself? Also, what was the main goal here? I felt like I was floating around waiting for something. I kept asking myself, "What are they supposed to be doing again? What happens after that?"

I knew all of the twists before they happened. That Clancy was the slip kid. (I do love Clancy by the way.) That he was evil. That the PSFs would come. That she had to make Liam forget her. I was emotional at that part, I will not lie. However, I knew it was coming, so it kind of killed it.

I like Liam... but then I don't. I don't know, he seems flat. I love his sweetness, but then sometimes I forget he's even in the book. I love Zu sooooo much. Ugh, she was amazing. Chubs got on my nerves, but by the end of the book I was about to cry for him.

Ugh, Ruby. I can't take Ruby. So much self pity!!!! "I'm a monster. Blah blah, boo hoo." Her internal pity party got a bit annoying after a while. Dude, you have telekinetic powers. Stop your whining. Be proud of them, like Clancy. Just, ugh. She did show character development, though, which I'm glad for. I think I'd throw this book across the room if she didn't.

The writing of the book frustrated me as well. Did anyone else get angry everytime she described what song was playing on the radio, and what the lyrics were? They don't tie into the story, so honestly I don't give a crap. I had a hard time reading some of the book because of the vagueness and the poor execution. Frustrating.

Anyway, I did enjoy the book, mostly because it was action-packed. A lot of questions were unanswered, but I hope they will be answered in Never Fade. However, the hype, and the people giving it five stars made me expect a shaker of a novel, but in reality, it was just a good, quick read. Nothing more, nothing less. 3.5 stars.

KillerCorp | Jul 27, 2015 |
I had high expectations for this book thanks to the person who recommended it to me. I wasn't disappointed at all.

It is well written(although I think I've got one of the earlier versions? A sentence was repeated, but come on. That's no reason to take a star away (still shouldn't happen) ) and while it was at first a little bit confusing, it wasn't confusing in a bad way. More in a 'I need to know what happened. I need to know now!' way. I could hardly put it down.

This has to do with the way the characters were written. I liked Ruby from the start as well as her love interest and their friends too. All the characters were extremely real and thought through, no lazy stereotypes here. You could guess some things that were happening but it wasn't bad in my eyes. More like evil foreshadowing.

Aaand guess what? No insta-love! And Liam isn't breathtakingly gorgeous or something like that. I really liked their developing relationship and I wanted them to develop one. Most of the time that is not the case.

There was one situation in which I wanted to shake Ruby but it was understandable why she was doing it. I wanted to throw the book through the room too, but all in good fun. It just makes you feel a lot sometimes. And that's a very good thing if you ask me.

I want to add triggers: sexual assault, violence (of course, given the way the world is in this book). ( )
  bookstogetlostin | Jul 26, 2015 |
Wow. This is the best YA Dystopia I've read since Hunger Games. I would describe it as X-men meets Divergent, but with really well fleshed out characters - they aren't simplistic, no cookie cutter "good" and "bad" characters. I enjoy that there isn't one good group v. one bad group - but rather several groups of people each with their own motivations - it makes an unbelievable subject very believable. And the ending...wow. I'll need a day to recover before I can dive into book 2. ( )
  BeckyGraham1016 | Jul 4, 2015 |
For Stephanie and Daniel, who were in every minivan with me
PROLOGUE: When the white noise went off, we were in the garden, pulling weeds.
Grace Somerfield was the first to die.

"Sixteen-year-old Ruby breaks out of a government-run 'rehabilitation camp' for teens who acquired dangerous powers after surviving a virus that wiped out most American children"--

189 wanted4 pay7 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,033,501 books! | Top bar: Always visible