The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken

The Darkest Minds (edition 2012)

by Alexandra Bracken

Collections:Kindle, Reviewed, Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:YA, Review, NetGalley, Science Fiction, Dystopia, Kindle

The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken

Unwind by Neal Shusterman (aeleone)
    aeleone: Similar set up with children abandoned by their parents sent to a camp. The Unwind series does not have supernatural powers, but it does have a very messed up world in which children are not valued.

I had high expectations for this book thanks to the person who recommended it to me. I wasn't disappointed at all.

It is well written(although I think I've got one of the earlier versions? A sentence was repeated, but come on. That's no reason to take a star away (still shouldn't happen) ) and while it was at first a little bit confusing, it wasn't confusing in a bad way. More in a 'I need to know what happened. I need to know now!' way. I could hardly put it down.

This has to do with the way the characters were written. I liked Ruby from the start as well as her love interest and their friends too. All the characters were extremely real and thought through, no lazy stereotypes here. You could guess some things that were happening but it wasn't bad in my eyes. More like evil foreshadowing.

Aaand guess what? No insta-love! And Liam isn't breathtakingly gorgeous or something like that. I really liked their developing relationship and I wanted them to develop one. Most of the time that is not the case.

There was one situation in which I wanted to shake Ruby but it was understandable why she was doing it. I wanted to throw the book through the room too, but all in good fun. It just makes you feel a lot sometimes. And that's a very good thing if you ask me.

I want to add triggers: sexual assault, violence (of course, given the way the world is in this book). ( )
  bookstogetlostin | Jul 26, 2015 |
Wow. This is the best YA Dystopia I've read since Hunger Games. I would describe it as X-men meets Divergent, but with really well fleshed out characters - they aren't simplistic, no cookie cutter "good" and "bad" characters. I enjoy that there isn't one good group v. one bad group - but rather several groups of people each with their own motivations - it makes an unbelievable subject very believable. And the ending...wow. I'll need a day to recover before I can dive into book 2. ( )
  BeckyGraham1016 | Jul 4, 2015 |
At first I didn't realize I was getting sucked into the book, then hours passed before I lifted my head again. It was an amazing book and I am already planning to get the next book in the series. ( )
  smilezforbooks | Jun 6, 2015 |
Solid teen fiction about a plague, IAAN, that strikes humanities children, killing 90%. Of those that remain, a portion have developed psionic powers allowing them to control or infiltrate the minds of others or their surroundings. These children have been gathered by the government and placed in internment camps to keep them under control. When 4 of them come together: Liam, Chubs, Ruby and Suzume, they find themselves on their own facing impossible odds - avoiding the PSF forces, avoiding the skip tracers, learning how to use their powers and of course, for 2 of them, falling in love. But for Ruby and Liam, there is no happy ending. What Ruby has to do to save them both, may be too much for her. ( )
  phoenixcomet | May 28, 2015 |
Young Reader Reaction: The most lovable feature of this book for me is the diverse group of characters. The group we follow through the book develops into a close-knit community of friends by the end; friends you come to love and cherish. The way the author eases you into the idea of these different categories of super abilities is very well done. She does not patronize the reader, and she doesn't get ahead of herself in the narrative. I also really enjoyed the society the author created and the way the people handle the children with these abilities. It seems very well thought out and convincing. Though I won’t give anything away, I have to say that the ending will definitely keep me around for the second book! There is not much to dislike about this one.

Note: Because this book explores darker themes, I would only recommend giving this a a gift to someone who has said they want to read it, or someone who likes "heavier" Dystopian fantasies.

Adult Reader Reaction: Review pending.

Pros: With its well-paced narrative, authentic characters, and strong story, teens AND adults will enjoy this provocative YA novel.

Read our full review and add yours at The Reading Tub®.
  TheReadingTub | May 16, 2015 |
For Stephanie and Daniel, who were in every minivan with me
PROLOGUE: When the white noise went off, we were in the garden, pulling weeds.
Grace Somerfield was the first to die.

"Sixteen-year-old Ruby breaks out of a government-run 'rehabilitation camp' for teens who acquired dangerous powers after surviving a virus that wiped out most American children"--

189 wanted4 pay7 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,432,277 books! | Top bar: Always visible