The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken

The Darkest Minds (edition 2012)

by Alexandra Bracken

Collections:Kindle, Reviewed, Read but unowned, 2012
Rating:***1/2
Tags:YA, Review, NetGalley, Science Fiction, Dystopia, Kindle

The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken

2012 (7) 2013 (11) adventure (4) ARC (6) boys (5) camp (4) currently-reading (4) dystopia (22) dystopian (25) ebook (3) fantasy (8) favorites (6) fiction (6) girls (6) netgalley (4) paranormal (9) powers (7) read (3) read in 2013 (7) romance (6) science fiction (18) series (3) signed (3) tbr-soon (3) teen (11) to-read (96) wishlist (8) YA (18) YA Fantasy (3) young adult (25)

In the future United States, kids get sick and die right around the time they turn 10. Ruby is one of the last living kids on her block, but after an incident where her parents lock her in the garage, she's taken to a camp for kids like her. They each have different abilities, and are controlled by agents dressed in black who clearly fear them: the Reds, Oranges and Yellows most of all. Convincing a worker she is actually a Green, Ruby slides by until she is threatened with exposure and must choose to either trust a doctor to help her escape or be killed.

This is the sort of book where you have a completely different perspective at the end than you do at the beginning, so my description is a little vague. Part of the fun of reading this book was seeing Ruby's world slowly unfold over the course of the story, piecing it together until you have the full picture. Ruby is a great character, and because she's narrating, we see her confusion and moral struggles as she comes to terms with who she is and what her powers are. It's always tough to keep information away from the reader in a believable way with first-person narrating, but Alexandra Bracken does an excellent job of revealing things naturally and in a way that keeps the reader guessing. The end simultaneously wraps up the first story in the series while leaving enough loose ends that I am dying to read the next book. ( )
  bell7 | Jun 3, 2014 |
Review to come :) ( )
  Emily_Anne | Mar 16, 2014 |
Let's see now... This is a fantastic book. I just figured I'd do this review so I can do the Never Fade review on this blog. You see, I don't like doing a review on a second book, when I haven't done the first. And I'm currently reading Never Fade, so I just figured I'd get this out of the way before I finish it.

Alright, so, this is a story that takes place in the future where the younger children are infected with a disease called IAAN. Everyone else who isn't infected(or so I think, It's been a while since I read this book.) has powers and people fear them. They fear the children, their powers. So, they send them to labor camps and do labor work for them and yea..

Now, let me mention something. The beginning was slow. Yes. It was slow. It took me a while to get into the book. It got more interesting after a few 200 pages or so, but yea. I'm glad I pushed through, because this was a great read!

It's sad, pitiful and heartbreaking to read what those children go through. I mean, wow. The scenes were intense when those guards/people/warrior men were like pushing the children around and stuff. And when Sam stood up for Ruby, and she expected Ruby to stand up for her...I was like "What the what?" Is there any logic in that?

I also want to point our Alexandra Bracken's writing. It's outstanding! There was so much detail, and the details didn't bore the heck out of me. I literally felt like I was there, as a ghost... The writing was also funny. Like : HAHAHAHHAA. Okay, Sorry.

And, the characters. Woah. There was a huge development in Ruby from the beginning of the book to the end. It was a surprise actually. And I was actually there, in the story, watching her develop throughout the whole book. Ruby's choices were sometime reckless, but, you know..Panic takes over. That's what happens. And Liam and Chubs and Zu. Oh gosh. So perfect. So, remember the time when Zu and Ruby was at a store or something, and they were picking out some clothes for Liam and them, and Zu wanted a piece of clothing(I forgot what, a skirt?Shirt?Pants?Idk) but she felt like she didn't deserve it. I was like : You do deserve it! Wear it! It was so heartbreaking when she thought that. Anyways, yea. The character development with all the characters was splendid!

Last thing to mention, the ENDING. OMGOSH. For real now? Alexandra...her writing at the end... Omgosh. I can't even. The way she uses a story in her novel to lead to that one thing at the end. I just wish, as I'm reading Never Fade, that Ruby finds a way to reverse what she did. ( )
  Bookablies | Jan 27, 2014 |
Decent enough dystopia. The plot was strong as were the characters, at least for the most part. I thought the main character's confusion was mostly useful in helping us understand her world, because she didn't. But unfortunately I found the ending to be disappointing enough that I'm not sure I want to go seek out the second book. ( )
  callmecayce | Jan 8, 2014 |
This book is so cool! Tell concept of this IAAN disease is interesting! I love all the flashbacks and my favorite character is Chubs!!!!! It is a must read!:) ( )
  melmoo15 | Jan 1, 2014 |
For Stephanie and Daniel, who were in every minivan with me
PROLOGUE: When the white noise went off, we were in the garden, pulling weeds.
Grace Somerfield was the first to die.

"Sixteen-year-old Ruby breaks out of a government-run 'rehabilitation camp' for teens who acquired dangerous powers after surviving a virus that wiped out most American children"--

34 wanted3 pay7 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,238,159 books! | Top bar: Always visible