Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Throne of Glass (2012)

by Sarah J. Maas

Series: Throne of Glass (1)

Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder (foggidawn)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (luna_lovegood)
    luna_lovegood: Exactly as kazhout said "strong, beautiful, intelligent, and sassy." Plus, badass and good heart.
    The Assassin and the Pirate Lord by Sarah J. Maas (Lpaddycake)
    Lpaddycake: This prequel to Throne of Glass explains more of Celaena's past and her love for Sam.
    The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson (becksdakex)
    Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard (bookishonabudget)

English (239)  German (1)  All (240)
For my "author with the same initials" bit of the Popsugar Challenge.

Review pending... tentatively giving it a 5 because it managed to reign my attention away enough for me to ignore the pack of other books I am currently reading.

My goodness I may resort to reading YA books to get some of my Popsugar challenge finished... they are quick reads that I can just zip through. -_- ( )
  kephradyx | Jun 20, 2017 |
13/6/2014

ITS SO GOOD ( )
  Banoczi_Henrietta | Jun 19, 2017 |
Sarah J. Maas's first novel reads as such. I think maybe I would have enjoyed this more if I had not already read and loved A Court of Thorns and Roses? Throne of Glass had just enough magic and dark to keep me interested, but was a bit heavy on flowery depictions of court apparel and light on assassin action for my tastes. But I have hopes for more adventure in the next installment.

Celaena is a notorious assassin serving out a slavery sentence in the Endovier salt mines when it is unexpectedly interrupted by the appearance of the Captain of the King's Guard. Whisked away to Rifthold, the castle in which the King holds court, Celaena is given little choice regarding her participation in a competition acting as the Crown Prince's champion in order to become the King's personal assassin. Celaena grows closer with both the Crown Prince and Captain Westfall as she trains and grows used to life in the castle, but an evil lurks and as tensions run high the mutilated bodies of dead champions begin to appear in the halls. Our heroine has a tendency to be a trifle annoying, petty, and confusingly oblivious for someone heralded as a legendary assassin, but her hinted at back story and potential for badassery kept me from hating this. Turning to Crown of Midnight with hopes of less dull court life and more magic. ( )
  GennaC | May 9, 2017 |
This. This was not great. I wish it had been; I went in to it wanting it to be, because the first chapters built up such promise! But then, we didn't really get a badass assassin tale. We got the story of a girl with secrets, who is awfully preoccupied with boys and dresses, and mixed up in a poorly developed storyline of magic and demons, instead of just kicking the ass we'd been promised (as readers) she was going to kick. With too many things happening at once, and none of them being done with any particular pizzazz, I finished it and went 'eh'. I'll read the second one, because this whole venture is to prepare for the #booktubesff awards. But I won't necessarily be thrilled about it. ( )
  coutlaw | May 4, 2017 |
So this review is probably going to be brief, at least by my standards, because 1) I'm as sick as a dog right now and 2) I just don't care enough to write a long review.

If you thought, like I did, that this was going to be a book about a badass assassin who kicks ass and takes names...you're not going to find that here. If you're wanting a book about a spoiled brat who spends most of the book whining, well golly gee, do I have a recommendation for you (hint: it's this book).

Celaena might be billed as a badass extraordinaire who survived a horrible prison experience for a year, but...she just isn't written that way. Show me, don't tell me. Instead, she whines about her life, her attire (not fancy enough for her, apparently), the fact that the crown prince wants her, etc, etc. Ugh. I hated her.

I liked Chaol (and that's why I ended up giving the book two stars instead of one), and I felt quite sorry for him to be stuck around such dismal characters. Not a huge fan of Dorian, but let's be honest, anyone is better than Celaena. Calaena is awful. ( )
  schatzi | May 3, 2017 |

Sarah J. Maasprimary authorall editionscalculated
Evans, ElizabethNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Nothing is a coincidence. Everything has a purpose. You were meant to come to this castle, just as you were meant to be an assassin."
To all my readers from FictionPress - for being with me at the beginning and staying long after the end. Thank you for everything.
After a year of slavery in the Salt Mines of Endovier, Celaena Sardothien was accustomed to being escorted everywhere in shackles and at sword-point.

After she has served a year of hard labor in the salt mines of Endovier for her crimes, Crown Prince Dorian offers eighteen-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien her freedom on the condition that she act as his champion in a competition to find a new royal assassin.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,078,870 books! | Top bar: Always visible