Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Throne of Glass (edition 2012)

by Sarah J. Maas

Info:Bloomsbury USA Childrens (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 416 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:arc, 2012, reviewed, best of 2012

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

2012 (14) 2012-release (5) 2013 (9) adventure (16) ARC (8) assassins (40) competition (7) ebook (13) fantasy (114) favorites (5) fiction (18) high fantasy (8) Kindle (10) library (4) love triangle (5) magic (14) mystery (5) own (4) prince (5) read (8) read in 2013 (8) romance (17) series (11) signed (5) teen (5) Throne of Glass (11) to-read (103) wishlist (4) YA (43) young adult (50)
    Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder (foggidawn)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (luna_lovegood)
    luna_lovegood: Exactly as kazhout said "strong, beautiful, intelligent, and sassy." Plus, badass and good heart.
    The Assassin and the Pirate Lord by Sarah J. Maas (Lpaddycake)
    Lpaddycake: This prequel to Throne of Glass explains more of Celaena's past and her love for Sam.

English (98)  German (1)  All languages (99)
Celaena Sardothian has spent a year in the salt mines of Endovier, a place where few last long, when she is removed from the mines by the Captain of the Guard and given the choice of remaining in prison, or entering a competition to vie for the position of King's Champion. She negotiates a deal that says if she wins, she has only to be the King's Champion for four years, and then she has earned her freedom. It's an attractive proposition, but first she has to beat out 23 killers, thieves and soldiers. She has other worries as well. The distracting attractiveness of Crown Prince Dorian, threatens to disrupt her training focus, and the mysterious unsolved murders of the competitors by an unknown assailant in the castle threaten her life.
I enjoyed the character of Celaena and will probably purchase book 2 for our library shelves. ( )
  JRlibrary | Mar 30, 2014 |
Review to come :) I just reread Throne of Glass a couple days ago. ( )
  Emily_Anne | Mar 16, 2014 |
Umm…yeah. I’m not proud of it, but I was binge reading some super fantastic fantasy novels while I was away. Grave Mercy and Throne of Glass share deliciousness in their commonalities, but they have a unique flavor unto themselves as well. I. Could. Not. Get. Enough.

Grave Mercy, by Robin LaFevers immediately jumps into action with Ismae escaping a husband that’s devoured one-too-many cream puffs. She finds herself harbored by a convent that trains her in the lethal arts of assassination. Ismae, for once, is a highly believable character; she starts out as over confident with her training, then questions herself and her morality as the story unfolds. And she’s smart. It’s starting to become difficult to find that type of perception in a YA novel female lead. The fact that she would totally dominate in a cage fight doesn’t hurt, either.

What completely blew my mind, however, was the skillful way LaFever wove her story with multiple characters—but not so many that the reader was confused and had to depend on a character chart. There was action, romance (NO LOVE TRIANGLE, thank god!), and intrigue, which again, many recent YA novels lack. She sprinkled spicy plot points throughout her story that gave me a hunkering for more, which she delivers in the second installment, Dark Triumph. Both are well worth the read, and I’m anxiously awaiting the third installment, Mortal Heart, due in 2014.

As I sat back wiping the powdered sugar off my face, satisfied from that appetizing novel, I spied yet another compelling cover delivering an enchanting aroma from the bookshelf. I tried to resist, but once I was past the opening page, there was no turning back from this mouth-watering adventure. The character of Celaena has been hardened by her life as an assassin and prisoner in a brutal mining camp. Her battle back from the brink of death while still maintaining her steely exterior and dignity was impressive, and again, the court scheming opened a significant window of Celaena’s street savvy and strategic intelligence that gives the reader a crisp, refreshing breeze. Although this story does have a love triangle, it was layered in circumstances, personalities, and outcomes that were surprising and not syrupy-sweet in the slightest.

Maas is an engaging writer for fans. She dutifully published several backstories of early assassination assignments and adventures for Celaena, while the author’s readers patiently waited for book two of the series, Crown of Midnight, recently published in August, 2013. This is another series that I will gladly belly up to the buffet and finish. Round two of binge reading, commence! ( )
  ChocolitChick | Mar 9, 2014 |
In a land without magic, where the king rules with an iron hand, an assassin is summoned to the castle. She comes not to kill the king, but to win her freedom. If she defeats twenty-three killers, thieves, and warriors in a competition, she is released from prison to serve as the king's champion. Her name is Celaena Sardothien.

The Crown Prince will provoke her. The Captain of the Guard will protect her. But something evil dwells in the castle of glass—and it's there to kill. When her competitors start dying one by one, Celaena's fight for freedom becomes a fight for survival, and a desperate quest to root out the evil before it destroys her world.

My Thoughts:
Throne of Glass was another book I resisted reading for awhile. Now that I've read it I'm not at all sure why I once resisted. Celeana is an intriguing heroine; once the most notorious assassin in the kingdom she now fights for her relative freedom as the king's champion. Celeana is a strong, willful, young woman who fights with everything she has for the promise of a future she may not yet attain.

The bad:
I don't like the hints of a love triangle between Celeana, Prince Dorian, and the Captain of the Guard Chaol. I just don't do love triangles, I think they are over done in young adult fiction. In my opinion unless your love triangle is as awesome as the ones in F.S. Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby, don't put it in there. I'd wager that most people manage to find love without the drama and angst of a love triangle, but I digress. Magic. There isn't enough of it. Oh, sure, the blurb on the back of the book mentions that magic has "disappeared" but even in the beginning of the book when small footprints lead to Celeana's tent and small white flowers are left at the foot of her cot, there are hints that magic still remains. The wyrdmarks are an intriguing idea but they seem almost haphazardly thrown into the story at a point where they really don't fit. Perhaps, Crown of Midnight, which I'm eagerly awaiting from my public library, will resolve these issues.

The good:
The world is amazing. I love when I open a book to see a map of the world, it just promises attempts at great world building. Sarah Maas does not disappoint. The world she creates is vibrant and detailed. At several points I found myself turning to the map to figure out where places were and how they were related. That being said, I would have liked to have more information about different areas of the continent such as Eyllwe and Terrasen. Hints of Celeana's past come out at several points in the story and they seem to promise more to come.

I am greatly looking forward to Crown of Midnight. I expect to finish it in record time just like Crown of Thorns. This series is shaping up to be one I wish I'd bought rather than borrowed from the library because I'd love to read it again and again. I would recommend this book, and its trilogy, to anyone who loves fairy tales with a bit of a twist. ( )
  LisaBost | Mar 7, 2014 |
I enjoyed the beginning and the ending of this book, but the middle really sagged for me. The world building that Maas does is easy to follow, even with the multitude of unfamiliar names to keep track of, but the character development in the middle just didn't really build for me like I expected. The heroine's character is unpredictable and inconsistent, so I had a hard time knowing what to expect from her, or understanding her reactions in some instances.

The action scene at the end was particularly well-written, but I didn't love either Dorian or Chaol enough to really feel invested in which she ends up with in a future book. ( )
  CyndiTefft | Feb 7, 2014 |

After she has served a year of hard labor in the salt mines of Endovier for her crimes, Crown Prince Dorian offers eighteen-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien her freedom on the condition that she act as his champion in a competition to find a new royal assassin.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,474,694 books! | Top bar: Always visible