Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Throne of Glass (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Sarah J. Maas

Title:Throne of Glass
Authors:Sarah J. Maas
Info:Bloomsbury USA Childrens (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 416 pages
Tags:arc, 2012, reviewed, best of 2012

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas (2012)

Graceling by Kristin Cashore (luna_lovegood)
    luna_lovegood: Exactly as kazhout said "strong, beautiful, intelligent, and sassy." Plus, badass and good heart.
    Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder (foggidawn)
    The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson (becksdakex)
    The Assassin and the Pirate Lord by Sarah J. Maas (Lpaddycake)
    Lpaddycake: This prequel to Throne of Glass explains more of Celaena's past and her love for Sam.

English (170)  German (1)  All languages (171)
This is clearly YA, and readers should keep it in mind before picking this up. Also, it's partial to the romance side of things (not to mention, everyone looks beautiful and always "awfully young". No self-respecting character here deigns to be above the better side of twenty, unless absolutely necessary - and having aged well besides....).
This said, I enjoyed it even if I'm not of an age with Caelena and the rest. The pace is enjoyable, the characters nice, the dialogue funny and witty, the situations improbable and juicy. The tropes, well, don't we all love them? Nice read, supported by the novellas read before the Throne of Glass. I highly recommend the chronological order and reading all the novellas together, since the last two are more compelling. Enjoy this series, it's wonderful YA, very appealing to (my) girl sensibilities. ( )
  Alissa- | Nov 28, 2015 |
I never finished reading this book while it was on FictionPress, though I remember hearing a lot about it and starting to read it. I was naturally curious to check it out.

Overall, I liked it, but I don't know if anything stood out for me. The writing was fine, though not excellent. I found the constant change of what Maas was calling her characters a bit unnecessarily distracting (for example, soon after we meet Chaol, within a page he might be called Chaol, Captain Westfall, and Captain of the Palace Guard). I did feel for the characters and like them, though I don't know if I felt a deep connection with any of them.

I think where Throne of Glass shines most is probably world-building--to the point where it'd definitely be confusing to keep track of without that map at the beginning. Maas's many drafts make themselves apparent by all the detail she is able to bring in to the various kingdoms that exist, and their various internal and external politics.

I liked the romance, but I found myself a little disappointed, too. Don't get me wrong, I like Chaol. But I also like Dorian, and feel like Celaena is being unfair in disregarding his feelings--though I guess she also doesn't really know their extent. At the same time, her choice makes sense. Argh!

Another reason I knocked off stars is because the book was both more violent and sensual than I can usually stomach. (Thankfully, I'm not an excessively visual person, or else some of these gory deaths would have given me nightmares.)

Overall, I liked it and I want to keep reading, but I'm not sure I can say it's memorable. I guess we'll see!

P.S. Am I the only one who noticed how much Maas's author picture resembles the cover? Clearly they're not the same people, but I still found myself taken aback. ( )
  elephantine | Nov 27, 2015 |
Welcome to this book review!

TWO MEN LOVE HER, it was no surprise when we discovered who fell in love with Celaena Sardothien. I loved her from the very begenning of this book which is quite unusual for me when I enter a new High-fantasy series since there is so much world building going on but, she's an unstopable assasin, the best there is actually and once you get pass that fearsome "workline" you meet a wonderful, sweet and caring character that has suffered far too much during the 18 years she has lived so far ! The story was captivating, cute and so, so much more than what I had expected. At first, going in this book I wasn't sure about a lot of things like the was it was writen, though now I am OBSESSED with Sarah J. Mass's writing style if I am quite honest.

My heart was trown arround in this book and I couldn't put it down. I love those kinds of books! Though I usually don't sleep much because of these type of books, they always "fill" me in a way only they can. It's something about the story line and the world/character building, that just catches me and never lets me go. I like the "magical" part of the story like, there is no magic but, there once was a time when magic was in that world.

All the characters are absolutely FANTASTICS, like I wouldn't mind having a book for each of them appart the really mean ones, like just stay in your corner, though the king is an exeption, you'll get what I mean once you read it, if you haven't already lol !

I recommend this AMAZING,with a by the way GORGEOUS COVER, to EVERYONE, like really IF you HAVEN'T READ IT DO IT RIGHT NOW !!!!

Thank you for reading please go check my blog :

See you next time,
love xoxo -Bookarina :) ( )
  Karina-Valerie | Nov 25, 2015 |
Celaena, as much a snotty little princess as any other in the book, seemed to forget at times that she was a paid assassin who--and I'm making an assumption here--was paid to kill people. She often became uncomfortable around death and gore, and upset about the deaths, though her background suggests that she likely killed many and mercilessly before. That aside, the story was interesting, held my attention and raised many questions. ( )
  LaPhenix | Nov 24, 2015 |
Peeps, I suggest you pre-order or pester the hell out of your local library to pre-order this book ASAP, because Ms Maas managed to write something which undoubtedly will end up one of the reading highlights of 2012.

This book is EPIC.

Celaena is one of those kick-ass ladies who manage a tricky combination of cocky, charming, kind, lonely, jaded and in a lot of ways wise beyond her years.

You do need to read 4 novellas before reading Throne of Glass (TOG) because the transformation of a young brilliant showoff after a year of hard labour in the mines into someone who is quietly determined to survive and be free again, someone who appreciates the small pleasures in life, is staggering.

I liked Celaena before the mines, but Celaena after , - I loved. She is humanised, reachable, she is someone we can all relate to.

There are no moments of TSTL in this book. There is insane bravery, tentative friendships and flirtations. Despite her hardships, Celaena is very young and she allows herself to have fun, to be frivolous and impulsive. However, she doesn't commit to some sort of love until death to Dorian whom she really sees for who he is or to his captain, Chaol, who sees her for who she is.

"You do know that you are now a slave, don't you? Has your sentence taught you nothing?"

"I don't see how working in a mine can teach anything beyond how to use a pickax."

"And you never tried to escape?"

A slow, wicked smile spread across her lips. "Once."

The prince's brows rose, and he turned to Captain Westfall. "I wasn't told that."

"What happened?" Dorian asked.

Her eyes turned cold and hard. "I snapped."

"That's all you have to offer as an explanation for what you did?" Captain Westfall demanded. "She killed her overseer and twenty-three sentries before they caught her. She was a finger's tip from the wall before the guards knocked her unconscious."

You never get bored with TOG, there is just so much going on. The competition is only a part of the story. There is training with Chaol, friendship with Eyllwe princess Nehemia, flirtation with Dorian, gruesome magical murders connected to the wyrdmarks and portals all over the palace. Celaena somehow becomes entangled in the magical battle for her country and becomes The Chosen one. *grin*

She is asked by higher powers to win the competition and keep an eye on strange happenings in the palace. Even by the end of the book I'm not exactly clear on what is going in. There is this hidden game, evil lurking in the palace... which we'll find out more about in the next book.

The whole experience of TOG is absolutely fantastic, and I have to say UK cover s far more suitable for the plot than US one. Celaena just got out of the mines, she is ghostly pale and emaciated, she is like a wrath, not a well-fed, healthy looking girl with glossy hair. No, just no. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
"Nothing is a coincidence. Everything has a purpose. You were meant to come to this castle, just as you were meant to be an assassin."
To all my readers from FictionPress - for being with me at the beginning and staying long after the end. Thank you for everything.
After a year of slavery in the Salt Mines of Endovier, Celaena Sardothien was accustomed to being escorted everywhere in shackles and at sword-point.

After she has served a year of hard labor in the salt mines of Endovier for her crimes, Crown Prince Dorian offers eighteen-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien her freedom on the condition that she act as his champion in a competition to find a new royal assassin.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,904,490 books! | Top bar: Always visible