Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Throne of Glass (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Sarah J. Maas

Member:usagijihen
Title:Throne of Glass
Authors:Sarah J. Maas
Info:Bloomsbury USA Childrens (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 416 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:arc, 2012, reviewed, best of 2012

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas (2012)

Graceling by Kristin Cashore (luna_lovegood)
    luna_lovegood: Exactly as kazhout said "strong, beautiful, intelligent, and sassy." Plus, badass and good heart.
    Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder (foggidawn)
    The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson (becksdakex)
    The Assassin and the Pirate Lord by Sarah J. Maas (Lpaddycake)
    Lpaddycake: This prequel to Throne of Glass explains more of Celaena's past and her love for Sam.

English (137)  German (1)  All languages (138)

Finally I have come across a High Fantasy book that I don't mindlessly hate! Throne of Glass was pretty spectacular. I mean, who doesn't love assassins,ball gowns, and all or nothing competitions?

Celaena is a hit or miss character; you're either going to love her, or your going to find her unbearable. Personally, I loved her. Although I do see why some people aren't fans; She is arrogant and sometimes feels like her bark is much bigger than her bite. But on the other hand, she is entertaining and thoughtful.

Throne of Glass has one of the only love triangles I find bearable. Dorian and Chaol are perfect in completely different ways. Both are thoughtful and awkward at times, but thats where the similarities end. I'm going to leave it at that to keep the review spoiler free. But I will say that Chaol has my vote.

Maas did a fantastic job of drawing up a beautiful landscape for this novel. The world was vast and I really hope we see a lot more of it in the future.

Can we bring it back to the boys in a second? Kay, I'm usually not a fan of love triangles, but with Dorian and Chaol, all previous dislike when out the window. Both guys did cute little things that felt realistic. I never once scoffed at an act or reaction thinking "Haha if only guys did that in real life." So props to Maas in creating a likable love triangle. Another thing she did brilliantly was not locking in on one of the guys. At the end of the book its still fair game for both of them. Seem too good to be true? Yeah, I had that feeling too. So the downside to all of this is that sometimes the action takes a back seat to the lovey-dovey stuff. For instance, instead of describing a test or training, we get some flirty scene between Celaena and Dorian/Chaol. Thats when I started to remember why I don't like love triangles; they take away from everything else. We miss out on some serious kick butt scenes because Dorian can't keep it in his pants. Oh, and if I see "swagger" one more time, I will probably spontaneously combust. No joke. It's probably in the book 100 times. The more you read it, the worse it gets.

All in all I loved this book. Celaena is great, even if she takes some getting used to. Chaol and Dorian are just about edible, and the plot is entertaining and hearty. The character building is amazing in thins book; not one character was one dimentional or boring. The world was vivid and appealing. It is just an overall great book that everyone should pick up soon!

AlllyCat | Apr 28, 2015 |
Assassins. Oh assassins. Celaena is definitely my new #1 favorite assassin! Her abilities make for some awesome fight scenes. She will do what she must to survive and makes no apologies for it. But she is more than just a skilled killer. Despite how intimidating she may be based on her skills, she is quite caring and sensitive on the inside. She is an amazing character who had many hardships before she is chosen by the Crown Prince to fight in a tournament to gain her freedom. Many interesting and troubling things happen throughout this tournament. She makes friends, which was not what she was expecting at all, and mysterious murders make everything more harrowing for her. Overall it's a wonderfully vivid and well written book with intriguing characters, an unusual murder mystery, and an ending that leaves you craving for the next book! ( )
  JosP | Apr 9, 2015 |
Celaena Sardothien, infamous 18 year old assassin of Adarlan, has been sentenced to a slow death in the salt mines of Endovier...that is until the crown Prince of Adarlan shows up and offers her a deal. If she agrees to compete in a contest to become the King's Champion (AKA assassin) she will earn her freedom after four years of service to the King. Celaena agrees, but finds her life, not just her freedom, may be in danger when contestants are found violently murdered.

As the competition goes on, Celaena grows closer to her sponsor, the young crown Prince Dorian as well as the serious Captain of the Guard, Chaol. The tyrannical king has banned all magic from the land, but Celaena suspects it may be behind the killings and begins to investigate before she becomes a victim herself.

Love this book! Celaena is smart, sarcastic, and deadly. On the outside, she's a trained assassin, but on the inside, she is a book reading, fashion loving, caring person. There's the start of a love triangle between Celaena/Chaol/Dorian, but it is still all about Celaena. I do like Celaena and Chaol though! Looking forward to reading the rest of the series!

Recommended if you liked Graceling by Kristin Cashore or His Fair Assassin series by Robin LaFevers. ( )
  purplethings | Mar 23, 2015 |
"Nothing is a coincidence. Everything has a purpose. You were meant to come to this castle, just as you were meant to be an assassin."
To all my readers from FictionPress - for being with me at the beginning and staying long after the end. Thank you for everything.
After a year of slavery in the Salt Mines of Endovier, Celaena Sardothien was accustomed to being escorted everywhere in shackles and at sword-point.

After she has served a year of hard labor in the salt mines of Endovier for her crimes, Crown Prince Dorian offers eighteen-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien her freedom on the condition that she act as his champion in a competition to find a new royal assassin.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,801,290 books! | Top bar: Always visible