Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Throne of Glass (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Sarah J. Maas

1,8902003,634 (3.95)70
Member:usagijihen
Title:Throne of Glass
Authors:Sarah J. Maas
Info:Bloomsbury USA Childrens (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 416 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:arc, 2012, reviewed, best of 2012

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas (2012)

Graceling by Kristin Cashore (luna_lovegood)
    luna_lovegood: Exactly as kazhout said "strong, beautiful, intelligent, and sassy." Plus, badass and good heart.
    Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder (foggidawn)
    The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson (becksdakex)
    The Assassin and the Pirate Lord by Sarah J. Maas (Lpaddycake)
    Lpaddycake: This prequel to Throne of Glass explains more of Celaena's past and her love for Sam.

English (197)  German (1)  All languages (198)
This book was really good. A female assassin, queen of the underworld, she was that good - is still that good even after becoming a slave in a salt mine. Celaena is resourceful, loyal, and leathal. Somehow she managed to retain her humanity in a place were others have lost it, surviving a year as a slave in the salt mines of Endovier and then becoming a candidate for the King's Champion to gain her freedom. Trouble lurks from all directions in this novel, but love shines through, lighting her darkness. ( )
  mariahsidhe | May 12, 2016 |
WOW. I wasn't expecting it to be that good. It started off a little slow and at first I didn't like any of the characters, they all seemed vain or selfish or big-headed, and I felt like I wasn't going to be able to root for any of them, even Celaena, but the characters developed well and the plot was really well done, I loved the friendships and some bits of it were really sweet but not too cheesy or lovey-dovey. Overall I think it was great and I can't wait to read the second one. ( )
  blakktreacle | May 10, 2016 |
Unfortunately, when I read the description of Throne of Glass, I got the wrong impression of the nature of the book. It turned out to be less hard arsed assassin and more precocious teenager in a love triangle. Instalove just isn't my cup of tea, so I got irritated pretty quickly.

Granted,there were glimmers of potential here and there, I enjoyed the magical component and the ending was nicely handled, but there was only a teeny spark in my imagination and it didn't flare very often. I really had no connection to the characters, and sometimes I just wanted to give them a hard kick so they would get over themselves. Sass only gets you so far before it becomes potentially annoying, and immature men making Goggly eyes for no apparent reason is just borderline pathetic.

The world building was slim for fantasy. Unless you really like descriptions of clock towers, you just had to take a guess.

The intrigue was about as mysterious as a shown hand of cards (I had many 'I thought she was supposed to be intelligent!' moments), so I just waited patiently for a fight or assassination scene to arrive. There was one fight scene. In a book about the best assassin in the land... It was a clanger of a scene though, so i'll give kudos to that.

So, my advice is to check out something else if you are looking for a good fantasy action novel. Because this really isn't it. I do admit though, that this is probably the best book I've read in this sort of genre. Which isn't saying a lot, because I tend to avoid them. It wasn't horrible, it just wasn't what I readily enjoy.

I have been told that the second novel is quite a bit better, so there may be a slight possibility that I will look it up if I am looking for a fluffy read one weekend, simply because I need to understand why this series is so well loved. I hear she actually kills people, which gives it an extra star before I even read it..
  BookFrivolity | Apr 23, 2016 |
Many of the most dangerous criminals in Adarlan have been brought to the castle. The king needs an assassin to do his bidding, and these criminals seem the best place to find someone. They must compete against each other in order to win, and after each test, someone goes back to their prison. Celaena is the only girl chosen, and she has plenty of obstacles if she wants to be the champion: 23 other assassins, thieves and warriors to beat in the competition, a prince whom she may love, the Captain of the Guard who keeps her under lock and key, and a new friend she has to learn to trust. As Celaena fights her way through the competition and regains her strength, she also discovers there may yet be magic left in a place where it is punishable by death to even utter the word. It took me a bit to get into this book. I don't know if was because I haven't read a fantasy book in a while, or if the story just didn't catch me from the start. It did get better, and I ended up liking it (enough to read the second book). I like the characters. But I was disappointed in the fact that the girl went after the prince...blah, blah, blah. That always happens. But there was also a lot of fighting and that tempered my annoyance with the love story part. And I like how Celeana is a strong character, and that she fights and fights hard. ( )
  litgirl29 | Apr 22, 2016 |
Celaena Sardothien is doing hard labor for being the Assassin of Ardalan when she's given the opportunity to earn her freedom. Crown Prince Dorian offers her a deal she can't afford to turn down, if she refuses it would mean spending what's left of her life in the Salt Mines of Endovier. Prince Dorian asks her to enter a competition to become a Royal Champion, upon winning she will serve a term as the Kings personal Champion and earn her freedom in a matter of years. As much a Celaena hates the idea of having anything to do with a King she despises with all her soul she knows she has no other choice, it's a lot better than dying a sad death in one of the most horrible work camps. She accepts and begins her journey to becoming a Royal Champion.

Celaena quickly realizes things aren't as they seem when the competition starts and the contestants are dying in the most horrible ways imagined or unimagined. She starts to fear for her life and the other competitors as well, even though there is no love lost between her and most of the competitors, she just can't stomach the idea that someone is trying to eliminate them.

Celaena is a hot head who doesn't realize her own arrogance, her trainer Captain Westfall and the Prince's best friend has to deal with her impatience and anxiousness to show she's the best. Their distrust for each other was strangely funny, they kept playing an unspoken cat and mouse game with each other. Celaena's mind can be very toxic at times but kind of amusing, she is constantly thinking of ways to kill someone who annoys her, I guess I shouldn't expect anything else from a former assassin. I'm sure she still thinks of herself as one though.

A very unexpected event took place when Celaena was tasked with ridding the evil that is killing the competitors. I thought it would just be her journey for her freedom and a love triangle, but I was very surprised with the twists and turns of this story. I was already loving the story and was even more captivated when all the extra elements of the story started to pop up and added more layers and depth to a very interesting concept. Definitely a must read. ( )
  GigisIrieReads | Apr 20, 2016 |

Sarah J. Maasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Evans, ElizabethNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Nothing is a coincidence. Everything has a purpose. You were meant to come to this castle, just as you were meant to be an assassin."
To all my readers from FictionPress - for being with me at the beginning and staying long after the end. Thank you for everything.
After a year of slavery in the Salt Mines of Endovier, Celaena Sardothien was accustomed to being escorted everywhere in shackles and at sword-point.

After she has served a year of hard labor in the salt mines of Endovier for her crimes, Crown Prince Dorian offers eighteen-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien her freedom on the condition that she act as his champion in a competition to find a new royal assassin.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,907,692 books! | Top bar: Always visible