Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Throne of Glass (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Sarah J. Maas

Title:Throne of Glass
Authors:Sarah J. Maas
Info:Bloomsbury USA Childrens (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 416 pages
Tags:arc, 2012, reviewed, best of 2012

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas (2012)

Graceling by Kristin Cashore (luna_lovegood)
    luna_lovegood: Exactly as kazhout said "strong, beautiful, intelligent, and sassy." Plus, badass and good heart.
    Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder (foggidawn)
    The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson (becksdakex)
    The Assassin and the Pirate Lord by Sarah J. Maas (Lpaddycake)
    Lpaddycake: This prequel to Throne of Glass explains more of Celaena's past and her love for Sam.

English (156)  German (1)  All languages (157)
Wow! I really loved this book. I only wish I read this sooner. It's been on my TBR list for a really long time, but I never really thought about reading it until recently. When I first saw the cover of this book, it didn't really strike me as something I'd read, but because I heard so many good things about this book recently, I finally decided to read it. And I'm so, so glad I did.

What I liked:
THE ACTION. The last hundred pages or so of the book were amazing. I was flipping pages so quickly, absorbing every single word. I felt as if I were actually there, experiencing everything along with the characters. The beginning did give me a good idea of the setting and the situation, but it was nothing compared to the end.

THE LACK OF ROMANCE. Sure, it had it's moments, but I liked that the romance didn't dominate and overwhelm the rest of the book. I am so tired of reading pages and pages about love triangles, and which guy is Mr. Right. I loved that this book didn't have that. Although this book didn't have much romance, I think I'd like to see Celaena actually develop a strong relationship with one of the guys in the next book. I'm hoping it's Chaol because he didn't really get a chance in this book, but Dorian would be okay too.

THE HUMOUR. There were several times, when I actually laughed out loud. This is one of those rare books, that can actually make me do that. One of those times was on pg. 211-ish. I loved reading about how badly Celaena played billiards.

THE SHORT CHAPTERS. I know that even though the chapters are short, it doesn't make the book any shorter, it still has the same number of pages, but with the short chapters, it really made the book go by that much faster. I'd tell myself: one more chapter, it's only five pages, then I'd see the next chapter, and I'd think: it's only three pages...and somehow, I find myself reading over a hundred pages in one sitting.

LEARNING ABOUT CELAENA'S FLAWS AND TALENTS. I know Celaena is the world's greatest assassin. And she was specially trained by the King of Assassins and all that. But she has other talents beside that. Her musical ability with the piano, for example. I really wasn't expecting that, and I absolutely loved it. And as for her flaws, see the humour section about billiards. I also liked reading about the two sides to her. She can be a ruthless assassin, who kills just as easily as breathing, but she can also be kind, caring and considerate of others.

THE NAMES AND PLACES. Most of these names, I've never heard of before. And I liked that there was a pronunciation guide on the back. It may sound like I'm exaggerating a bit, but knowing how to pronounce these names properly, instead of just sounding it out myself, made these characters much more appealing. Oh, how I loved these characters.

What I disliked:
Hmmm...this is hard. I don't think there is anything that bothered me enough that I feel is worth the need to mention. Yes, this book is that good.

*hmm, I wonder why the Celaena on the kindle and hardcover books look nothing like the Celaena on the paperback...

Based on my review, you probably already guessed it, but I'm going to say it anyways. This book was awesomely amazing. And I will definitely be reading the next one soon. I will also be recommending this book to all my friends. I will annoy them until they promise me to give this book a try, or at least look at it. I need someone to talk to about this book. Anyone who is even considering this book, should stop considering and read it already. You won't regret it. I sure didn't. ( )
  elizabeth1929 | Oct 6, 2015 |
SPOILER ALERT!! I just finished this book and I have so many questions! What will happen to Celaena as the king's champion? What is going to happen between her and Dorian and Chaol? What's going to happen to Nehemia? Ahhh! just can't wait to read the second book. Unfortunately I don't have money right now:( I'm saving up to buy A Song of Ice and Fire series so I'll probably have to wait till next month to buy the second book:'( Noooooo!!! ( )
  peach240 | Sep 27, 2015 |
"My name is Celaena Sardothien. But it makes no difference if my name's Celaena or Lillian or Bitch, because I'd still beat you, no matter what you call me."

This is something I never truly expected. Guess this is the best thing about setting low expectations in a book-- you get to be surprised! The moment I started Throne of Glass, I was already sure that it's going to be just an okay book. I didn't even wish to read its sequels for the reason that it's quite a lengthy series. I was just curious because of the hype.

But holy crap! What was I've just read? Seriously, did I just read such a freaking amazing book? Wow, just wow!

Miss Sarah J. Maas, you've just gained another fan right here. Count me in!

I love everything in this book. From all its epicness glory to its impressive world and character building. Such a beautiful, high-fantasy read! If you want to know why I love it, here are the reasons why:

1.) It's compelling and a total page-turner.

Ever had that feeling when you just want to devour word after word just to sink everything in to your mind because you just want to savor every little detail in the book and enjoy it? I've just felt that in every chapter.

2.) I love the characters.

Celaena Sardothien, the main character of this book, is my kind of character. Kick-ass, strong-willed, and not angsty and annoying. I love how she turned out to be such a strong girl despite her awful past.

Dorian Havilliard. Holy mother of all Gods! I just love him so much. And don't be mad at me guys (I know there are lots of you, Team Chaol. Ha!) but he's such an adorable character. I have always been a fan of princes, dukes, and royal characters so it was not hard for me to like him, and even adore him from the first up to the last chapters. I'm Team Dorian all the way!!!

Chaol Westfall. All right, so even if I'm Team Dorian, I have to be honest that I do admire this guy. I love his character and the way he's too composed and protective towards Celaena. He's a character every girl will drool over, okay! (which makes the love triangle really, really hard af)

3.) The author's writing style is perfection.

In every book, the author's writing style is the one that really matters. In Throne of Glass, the author just made a perfect job. Sarah J. Maas was able to pull me into the high-fantasy feels I've always wanted to delve into. I love how her words were easy to digest. It makes everything smooth, given the fact that there were many terminologies and names that readers need to get to know.

4.) The love triangle.

I have to admit that love triangles in books are a bit challenging for me, because they could either hit or miss. But this book-- it's just... I don't know what to say. The love triangle is amazingly done. Have you experienced being put in a situation where you just don't know who to choose between two guys because both are just amazing? I experienced that during the first chapters. But well, I have to say that I'm biased because like I said, Dorian won my heart. (But the series is not yet done, so I don't know. Maybe I could change my mind. But for now though..) *sigh*

5.) Perfect plot.

The plot is really good! There were no dull moments. There were lots of twists and turns and surprising events that will absolutely blow your mind!

6.) Epic action scenes.

Best of all, I love the action side of this book. It's just the beginning of the series and yet the energy is already there!

As a whole, the book is AMAZING. I was not prepared for this, but yes-- I already decided to invest in this series and read its sequels. It's now a new favorite!!! Hopefully the series will continue to become epic. Looking forward to that!

Rating: 5 Stars ( )
  IAMPEARL | Aug 27, 2015 |
The main character of Sarah J Maas' Throne of Glass is 18 year-old Celaena Sardothien, she is the world's most deadly assassin.

When I was 18 I was laughed out of a house party after it was discovered I'd been pronouncing the name of the band INXS as "Inks" for most of my teenage life.

For the past year Celaena has been doing hard labour in the brutal mines of Endovier. Her crime? She got caught doing what she does best, ending people's lives.

I once had a job going door to door asking people if they wanted their houses painted. I was threatened with physical violence on more that one occasion. Now THAT's hard labour, am I right?

Out of the blue, Celaena is dragged before the high court. She's given one chance at freedom, act as the Prince's champion in a high-stakes competition aimed at finding a new royal assassin.

You can read the rest of my review over at http://theangster.weebly.com ( )
  LJMax | Aug 21, 2015 |
I listened to this one on audio and wasn't 100% thrilled with the narration and I think that impacted my impression of the characters. The narration was a bit over dramatic at times and didn't do a great job of distinguishing characters.

This is also pretty light fantasy. The world has hints of some cool elements, but the characters also play billiards and chess (though with some different pieces for giggles?). The villain was properly spooky, but I was never really worried that our heroine would come out on top.

I kind of got a hunger games but in fantasy vibe, anyone else? ( )
  anyaejo | Aug 12, 2015 |
"Nothing is a coincidence. Everything has a purpose. You were meant to come to this castle, just as you were meant to be an assassin."
To all my readers from FictionPress - for being with me at the beginning and staying long after the end. Thank you for everything.
After a year of slavery in the Salt Mines of Endovier, Celaena Sardothien was accustomed to being escorted everywhere in shackles and at sword-point.

After she has served a year of hard labor in the salt mines of Endovier for her crimes, Crown Prince Dorian offers eighteen-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien her freedom on the condition that she act as his champion in a competition to find a new royal assassin.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,749,766 books! | Top bar: Always visible