Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Throne of Glass (edition 2012)

by Sarah J. Maas

Member:usagijihen
Title:Throne of Glass
Authors:Sarah J. Maas
Info:Bloomsbury USA Childrens (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 416 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:arc, 2012, reviewed, best of 2012

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

2012 (16) 2012-release (5) 2013 (9) adventure (16) ARC (8) assassins (50) competition (10) ebook (13) fantasy (130) favorites (6) fiction (22) first in series (5) high fantasy (9) Kindle (12) love triangle (6) magic (21) mystery (7) own (6) prince (5) read (8) read in 2013 (10) romance (20) series (14) signed (5) teen (6) Throne of Glass (13) to-read (133) wishlist (5) YA (48) young adult (56)
    Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder (foggidawn)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (luna_lovegood)
    luna_lovegood: Exactly as kazhout said "strong, beautiful, intelligent, and sassy." Plus, badass and good heart.
    The Assassin and the Pirate Lord by Sarah J. Maas (Lpaddycake)
    Lpaddycake: This prequel to Throne of Glass explains more of Celaena's past and her love for Sam.

English (101)  German (1)  All languages (102)
I really wanted to like this novel (and I did, to some degree, so I will be continuing the series), but I kept stumbling over my own criticism of the characters. First of all, Calaena was far too concerned about her clothes all the time. I am a girl, I love fun clothes too, but this girl was constantly showing up in frilly dress when simpler attire would have suited her better. In addition, I felt as through she was not a fully developed character. Calaena has a good backstory and I think if the author had spent more time thinking about how a person who had been through Calaena's experiences would have responded, this novel would have been very different (and quite possibly better). Anyway, I will admit I still liked it enough to continue the series! ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Jun 24, 2014 |
A girl who happens to have been trained as an assassin is brought out of prison to fight a deadly contest in order to become and "Kings Champion" and thus be freed.

It could have been much more gruesome than it was and for that I liked it.

Lots of magic with a queen coming back from the dead to help give advice to the monster that goes around eating out people's internal organs so that his "master" will become more powerful. Loved most of the characters--except for of course the truly hateful ones.

A bit predictable in parts and I wish that there had been more backstory, but I guess that is in the novellas that were written that of course mean more money for the author. For that alone, I may or may not buy this series. ( )
  FaithLibrarian | Jun 22, 2014 |
Celaena Sardothien was once the most feared assassin in the land of Erilea, but a bretrayl lead to her capture and now she toils in the salt mines of Endovier, her back bearing the scars of cruel treatment that many do not survive. After a year of hard labour she is released into the custody of the king's own son Dorian and the Captain of the Royal Guards Chaol to train to become the KIng's Champion ( read - Assassin) and after four years of service for me, win her freedom.
Dorian has chosen her as his combatant to spite his father,who has ravaged a bloody conquering war across the land and destroyed books and magic. Celeana must assume another identity (Lillian the jewel thief) while she trains at court, and is also encouraged to hide her true abilities until the contests begin in earnest, by Chaol. During her training at the king's castle, strange things start to occur, not the least being the systematic disembowelment and de-braining of some of her competitors. She befriends an overthrown princess living in the castle, and fights off the barbs of Cain, her nearest rival in the competition, who also knows her true identity. Coupled with her confused feelings towards Dorian and Chaol ( who both fall in love with her), Celeana soon realises that not all the magic in the kingdom is dead.
Had been recommended to me via another teacher via school girls. Must admit, there were parts that drove me nuts as the character is unpredictable at times; but maybe teenage girls actually are. Would have to be a 9-10 as talks about monthly cycles and being a virgin, and the descriptions of the murdered contestants are quite gruesome.
Given it 4 stars as it made me want to read the next one in the series and also look at the novellas. ( )
  nicsreads | Jun 1, 2014 |
Celaena Sardothian has spent a year in the salt mines of Endovier, a place where few last long, when she is removed from the mines by the Captain of the Guard and given the choice of remaining in prison, or entering a competition to vie for the position of King's Champion. She negotiates a deal that says if she wins, she has only to be the King's Champion for four years, and then she has earned her freedom. It's an attractive proposition, but first she has to beat out 23 killers, thieves and soldiers. She has other worries as well. The distracting attractiveness of Crown Prince Dorian, threatens to disrupt her training focus, and the mysterious unsolved murders of the competitors by an unknown assailant in the castle threaten her life.
I enjoyed the character of Celaena and will probably purchase book 2 for our library shelves. ( )
  JRlibrary | Mar 30, 2014 |
Review to come :) I just reread Throne of Glass a couple days ago. ( )
  Emily_Anne | Mar 16, 2014 |

After she has served a year of hard labor in the salt mines of Endovier for her crimes, Crown Prince Dorian offers eighteen-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien her freedom on the condition that she act as his champion in a competition to find a new royal assassin.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,484,609 books! | Top bar: Always visible