HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
Loading...

Throne of Glass (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Sarah J. Maas

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingMentions
1,9742063,431 (3.94)72
Member:usagijihen
Title:Throne of Glass
Authors:Sarah J. Maas
Info:Bloomsbury USA Childrens (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 416 pages
Collections:Your library
Rating:*****
Tags:arc, 2012, reviewed, best of 2012

Work details

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas (2012)

  1. 40
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (luna_lovegood)
    luna_lovegood: Exactly as kazhout said "strong, beautiful, intelligent, and sassy." Plus, badass and good heart.
  2. 40
    Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder (foggidawn)
  3. 10
    The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson (becksdakex)
  4. 10
    The Assassin and the Pirate Lord by Sarah J. Maas (Lpaddycake)
    Lpaddycake: This prequel to Throne of Glass explains more of Celaena's past and her love for Sam.
Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

No current Talk conversations about this book.

» See also 72 mentions

English (205)  German (1)  All languages (206)
Showing 1-5 of 205 (next | show all)
You know I like? Bad-ass female characters that stay bad-ass through the entire book. So I liked this book. And the story was pretty cool too.
I don't agree with the quote on the cover that this is a mixture of Hunger Games and Game of Thrones ... because it's not. And that's fine. This is cool on its own merit.

Two thumbs up! ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
“My name is Celaena Sardothien. But it makes no difference if my name’s Celaena or Lillian or Bitch, because I’d still beat you, no matter what you call me.”



Suelo reservar las calificaciones de 1 estrella para aquellos malos libros que me toman años leer o aquellos que ni siquiera logro terminar. Solo me tomó una semana terminar Throne of Glass. Pero, mientras la lógica me dice: -deberías darles puntos extras porque fue una lectura rápida y ligera. El sistema de puntuación de GR dice:- dos estrellas significa que estuvo ok.

Y no estuvo ok.

De hecho, fue todo lo opuesto a ok que puedan imaginarse. FUE TERRIBLE.

Celaena Sardothien es hermosa, con su cabello rubio, sus finas facciones y su piel pálida. Y es tan inteligente, porque, o sea, ama leer. Y siempre tiene una respuesta ingeniosa para todo. Y es la MEJOR ASESINA DEL REINO. Y todos deben temerle y admirarla, por que ¡es perfecta! ¿Y qué mejor forma de hacer que todos se enteren que repitiéndolo una y otra vez a lo largo de TODO el libro?



Y puede que sea una "asesina despiadada" pero, hey, en realidad tiene un corazón de oro y va a demostrarnoslo, ¡salvando un perrito! No importa que luego lo trate como un estorbo porque puede orinarse en su cuarto o dañar sus preciados zapatos, no. Debemos ignorar eso, lo único importante es que ella lo salvó. ARRODILLAOS TODOS ANTE LA REINA DE LA PIEDAD.



Imagina a Carrie Bradshaw siendo una asesina, preocupándose por fiestas, zapatos y vestidos mientras teme por su vida y limpia sus armas. Así precisamente es Celaena. Tal vez, de manos de un autor mas hábil eso podría haber resultado gracioso, pero de manos de Sarah J. Maas, el resultado es ridículo.

Las escenas de acción, que podrían haberle dado un toque de interés a la historia, son dejadas de lado a favor de las escenas donde Celaena se preocupa por su interés amoroso del momento. ¿Con quien coquetear más, con el hermoso príncipe Dorian o con el misterioso Chaol?



Y cuando finalmente tenemos una batalla, las magnificas habilidades de Celaena que nos han repetido sin parar desde el comienzo (Why was she—Adarlan’s Assassin!—participating in some absurd competition to prove that she was the best? She was the best!) brillan por su ausencia. Es golpeada, apuñalada, atacada por criaturas sobrenaturales y lanzada contra una pared de roca, hasta que Nehemia viene en su rescate. Pero tranquilos, todo está bien porque sigue siendo hermosa: "Though her face was peppered with bruises, miraculously, Cain hadn’t marred her in any permanent way". Porque eso es lo más importante luego de una batalla donde su vida estuvo en juego. Rigth.



Sé que he llegado tarde a la fiesta y ya casi todos han leído esta serie, y la aman. Y no intento menospreciar sus gustos ni opiniones. Nadie mejor que yo (y mi extraña adicción a [b:Shatter Me|10429045|Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1)|Tahereh Mafi|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1310649047s/10429045.jpg|15333458]) sabe que el amor es ciego cuando de historias clichés se trata, PERO, definitivamente, —tras las continuas decepciones primero con [b:A Court of Thorns and Roses|16096824|A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1)|Sarah J. Maas|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1417961340s/16096824.jpg|21905102] y luego con [b:Throne of Glass|7896527|Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1)|Sarah J. Maas|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1335819760s/7896527.jpg|11138426]— me he dado cuenta que la escritura de SJM no es para mi.
( )
  Glire | Jun 22, 2016 |
Rating: 4

I'm debating on pulling out a bonus star for this puppy. But the series is a big one, so I think I won't in order to show the growth. With that being said, I absolutely love this book. The characters are complex and well-developed. The romance is believable and well-paced. And the actions is incredibly intense. I was once told this book was slow. I beg to differ. The moments that weren't full of action were used to show the world, how the society functioned, and of course the inner thoughts of the main characters. There's a hit of a love triangle in this ook, and I want to see what happens. The paranormal aspects also have me wondering what's next. How will Sarah J. Maas top this? I don't know, but I do what to find out.

What my video to hear 5 reasons why you should read this book. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgnJnbNmqpA ( )
  ZetherBooks | Jun 15, 2016 |
I'm glad I picked this book as one of my summer reads. Celaena has been recruited for a competition to be the King's Champion. She was taken from a jail in the the mines where she was probably soon going to perish. Her skill set is desired by the Crown Prince as she is the most notorious assassin in the kingdom. The group develops a ruse to hide her identity (not very well, I might add) during the competition. Celaena's ability to overcome the abuse and trauma of her past to forge new relationships is amazing.
There is much court intrigue during the trials. And there is the supernatural, the visions and dreams of an ancient queen entreating Celaena to win the competition and find the evil within the castle.
There is the requisite love triangle of sorts. A mysterious princess from an oppressed land.
I enjoyed the read a lot and will continue with the series. It has much in common with another favorite of mine, Graceling by Kristin Cashore. ( )
  ewyatt | Jun 14, 2016 |
I would call Throne of Glass a solid meh, except that I care too much about it for it to just be a blah book. I wanted to like it. I still want to like it. So many people say the series is amazing and the covers are cool, and are assassins and political intrigue and arhgablargastarg!

I have a lot to say. I may get a bit ranty.

First, I see this book compared to The Girl of Fire and Thorns a lot. Stop comparing them. Right now. They are not the same in tone or plot or character or setting or style or anything. Just because two fantasy romance YAs with female protagonists came out at roughly the same time does not mean the two books are similar. Besides, Girl of Fire and Thrones is a much stronger and more enjoyable novel.

Second, the shifting POVs are a bit shaky, especially at the beginning of the novel. I think this is what rubbed me the wrong way initially, and it made me more critical as the book progressed. We spend nearly all our time in 3rd person limited, dipping into Celeana's thoughts. At some chapter breaks we change to 3rd person limited Chaol or Dorian. Fine. Not terribly clear at first, but fine. But randomly, in the middle of some chapters, without indication, and especially near the beginning of the novel, we switch POVs for a couple sentences or paragraphs. No reason is given for why we're hopping into Chaol's brain for a second. We don't know why it should matter that we're now getting Dorian's thoughts but only for these two sentences. Or we're following some super temporary omniscient narrator and seeing into multiple heads at a time. It's just clumsy and confusing and annoying.

Probably my biggest problem with the novel: I am so sick of love triangles. I can enjoy a good romantic subplot. I can even enjoy a good romantic foreplot. But these stupid, angsty triangles-are-cool-right-now, weak excuses for plots are driving me insane. If Celaena just had feelings for Chaol, that would be fine, though it would still be a pretty weak romance. But the Prince was just terrible. Spoiled, arrogant, entitled, and uninteresting. As a side character he would be annoying, but as a romantic interest I couldn't stand him. All the time spent mooning over the prince could have been spent on Nehemia, easily the most interesting character in the book . Rebel spy; witty, fighting princess from conquered lands? Why isn't more of the book about her? Granted, there are actually some good plot reasons for this, and it looks like she might get more screen time in later books. But I just wanted to leave the boys behind and have Celeana and Nehemia to go off monster-slaying and empire-overthrowing with occasional side trips for Celeana to pull a heist with Nox.

The villains, meanwhile, are too obvious to be very interesting. Spoiler paragraph. It is pretty clear from pretty early on that Pennington and Kaltain are up to no good. Maas isn't trying to be sneaky there. But the question who's butchering the champions is supposed to be the driving mystery of the whole book. I'm supposed to wonder. I'm supposed to be surprised. I'm supposed to have several wrong guesses before the true villain is finally revealed. Instead we get the obviously distasteful brute named after the most famous murderer in all of Western literature who's being manipulated by Pennington, who we already know is a bad guy. With what we get in the final chapter, I could see Pennington and the king becoming more interesting, but overall I wanted better antagonists.

And Celeana herself is unrealistic. Not that she's too skilled; I can buy that. Nor is she too vain; her need for others to recognize and applaud her skill fits her character. But she's an assassin--trained to live in the shadows, to be alert, to trust no one. And she was betrayed. AND she's spent the last year in the salt mine death trap. Yet she keeps falling asleep, in seconds, no problem, around people she doesn't fully trust, or continues to sleep soundly when they sneak into her room. I don't need full on just-off-the-streets Vin paranoia, but a little more caution and attentiveness from the supposed best assassin in the land would be nice. Yes, this sound nit-picky, but come on. She specifically makes her door hinge squeaky so people can't sneak into her room, then two scenes later the Prince sneaks in to watch her sleep (which was creepy by the way) without the door making noise or Celeana waking up, then two scenes after that the door is squeaky again and she wakes up when Chaol comes in to report another murder. I expect better from my assassins.

But in spite of all this, I do think I will try the first 50 pages or so of book 2. I have heard from multiple people that the series gets better, that book one is the weakest, that if I just stick it out I'll be satisfied. There is potential. The mystery of the Wyrdmarks, the fae realm, Celeana's past, more Nehemia, more assassination. Book two could be good. Or it could get bogged down by the stupid love triangle. I guess I'll see. ( )
  twhite13 | Jun 12, 2016 |
Showing 1-5 of 205 (next | show all)
no reviews | add a review

» Add other authors (5 possible)

Author nameRoleType of authorWork?Status
Sarah J. Maasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Evans, ElizabethNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Original title
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
"Nothing is a coincidence. Everything has a purpose. You were meant to come to this castle, just as you were meant to be an assassin."
Dedication
To all my readers from FictionPress - for being with me at the beginning and staying long after the end. Thank you for everything.
First words
After a year of slavery in the Salt Mines of Endovier, Celaena Sardothien was accustomed to being escorted everywhere in shackles and at sword-point.
Quotations
Last words
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
Disambiguation notice
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Publisher series
Original language

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English

None

Book description
Haiku summary

No descriptions found.

After she has served a year of hard labor in the salt mines of Endovier for her crimes, Crown Prince Dorian offers eighteen-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien her freedom on the condition that she act as his champion in a competition to find a new royal assassin.… (more)

(summary from another edition)

» see all 2 descriptions

Quick Links

Swap Ebooks Audio
3 avail.
469 wanted
13 pay5 pay

Popular covers

Rating

Average: (3.94)
0.5
1 10
1.5 2
2 26
2.5 9
3 112
3.5 31
4 201
4.5 28
5 176

Audible.com

An edition of this book was published by Audible.com.

See editions

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,742,527 books! | Top bar: Always visible