Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Throne of Glass (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Sarah J. Maas

Member:usagijihen
Title:Throne of Glass
Authors:Sarah J. Maas
Info:Bloomsbury USA Childrens (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 416 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:arc, 2012, reviewed, best of 2012

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas (2012)

Graceling by Kristin Cashore (luna_lovegood)
    luna_lovegood: Exactly as kazhout said "strong, beautiful, intelligent, and sassy." Plus, badass and good heart.
    Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder (foggidawn)
    The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson (becksdakex)
    The Assassin and the Pirate Lord by Sarah J. Maas (Lpaddycake)
    Lpaddycake: This prequel to Throne of Glass explains more of Celaena's past and her love for Sam.

English (145)  German (1)  All languages (146)
2.5 stars.

The fight scenes were poorly written. I think that the words Maas used weren't fitting for the gritty action she wanted to portray. Perhaps it'll be better in the sequel.

Also, nothing happened. Zero plot. She practiced, flirted with Chaol and/or Dorian, hung out with Nehemia, read books, wash/rinse/repeat until the big (letdown) fight at the end. Sad, because this book had potential.

Dorian was pretty cool I guess, but also sort if a wimp. Chaol was all right, he got better as the book went on. I also kept pronouncing his name "KAH - OHL" in my head. Then I read the glossary in the back and it said it was pronounced "KAY - ALL". Weird.

Anyway, that's all. ( )
  KillerCorp | Jul 27, 2015 |
This is an exciting book, and an easy read. It has a strong female protagonist and elements of mystery. ( )
  nickietravis | Jul 26, 2015 |
4/5 stars
I post all my reviews to athroneofbooks.booklikes.com

The beginning of this book I honestly couldn’t stand it. I hated most of the characters and only two things pulled me through the first several chapters. The writing style had something to it that I did like, and I was curious why so many people before me loved this book.

For the first several chapters of the book I hated Celaena. She had only two modes: This is how I could kill this, and dang that guy is cute. She drove me crazy and I cringed every single time she did either of the two things listed. Which for quite a while was constantly. But as the story went on all the characters grew, and they showed personality.

In the first book you have a story of assassins and thieves fighting for their freedom. Interesting and fun, the story and the characters grew on me and I read the book all in the same day enjoying every second of it from the tour of the castle on. I would give it 5/5 stars if I hadn’t found nearly every character insufferable until about chapter 8. ( )
  MarandaNicole | Jul 15, 2015 |
Great book with a strong female character! ( )
  LSMurphy524 | Jun 30, 2015 |
Hated the heroine. She was annoying, prissy and not what anyone would buy as being a deadly assassin. Not at all like Game of Thrones or Hunger Games. ( )
  Jezel72 | Jun 11, 2015 |
"Nothing is a coincidence. Everything has a purpose. You were meant to come to this castle, just as you were meant to be an assassin."
To all my readers from FictionPress - for being with me at the beginning and staying long after the end. Thank you for everything.
After a year of slavery in the Salt Mines of Endovier, Celaena Sardothien was accustomed to being escorted everywhere in shackles and at sword-point.

After she has served a year of hard labor in the salt mines of Endovier for her crimes, Crown Prince Dorian offers eighteen-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien her freedom on the condition that she act as his champion in a competition to find a new royal assassin.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,400,168 books! | Top bar: Always visible