Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Throne of Glass (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Sarah J. Maas

Member:usagijihen
Title:Throne of Glass
Authors:Sarah J. Maas
Info:Bloomsbury USA Childrens (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 416 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:arc, 2012, reviewed, best of 2012

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas (2012)

Recently added byblizzardsecedes, phoibee, ShellyHammond, tjaruczyk, private library, maya121, sammy_jo
    Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder (foggidawn)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (luna_lovegood)
    luna_lovegood: Exactly as kazhout said "strong, beautiful, intelligent, and sassy." Plus, badass and good heart.
    The Assassin and the Pirate Lord by Sarah J. Maas (Lpaddycake)
    Lpaddycake: This prequel to Throne of Glass explains more of Celaena's past and her love for Sam.
    The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson (becksdakex)
    Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard (bookishonabudget)

English (236)  German (1)  All (237)
Ultimately, I’m not sure I can recommend this book. The story of an assassin who becomes the right hand of the tyrant she loathes could have been a lot better, a lot darker.

I sometimes felt as though there was a lot of fluff in the prose. Descriptions felt overwrought, and sometimes didn’t shed as much clarity as I wanted. I was a little annoyed at how many different colors Chaol’s eyes were. But this book really hooked me until the end.

That being said, I’m hard-pressed to say I’m very enthusiastic about this book. It falls closer into the ‘guilty pleasure’ category. It lacks many characters who aren’t white and may be completely heterosexual, though sequels may prove otherwise. (I’m big on picturing romantic pairings and couldn’t help but match Nehemia with the prince, or with with assassin. I feel like the former is more likely to happen.)

There are several reasons I’m going to keep reading. First, I enjoy the feeling I get from the Wyrdmarks, which superficially resemble Chartermarks, and thus Chartermagic, which was used in the Abhorsen books, a favorite series of mine. Second, I believe the hype, and suspect that Maas will tighten things up in subsequent books as she goes on. Third, I heard a spoiler for a much later book in the series that gives me gut wrenching feelings about character development so interesting I have to keep reading. I need to know why that spoiler happens and can’t wait for the fall out drama.

Also, I think the new covers make this series look that much more interesting. I’m more inclined to read a series about the angry white-haired woman on the cover of this, than the golden haired courtier on the original cover. Does Celaena wear far too many dresses in this book? Yes, but I sincerely hope that changes in the rest of the series.

I described this book to a friend as though one were reading a show on the CW. The fights are awesome, the CGI is tasteful, but the soundtrack is almost perfectly chosen. Sometimes you think the characters stop doing something Very Important to have a Talk.

I’m not even sure Celeana really grew as a character here… I can’t help but feel that this feels like the debut it is. I still hold out hope that the writing improves as the series continues, as it often does. The premise may be a weak one, but hopefully it pans out in the end. I want a rebellion! ( )
  knotbox | Apr 9, 2017 |
Was a great book once you are able to get past the first couple chapters. Also was a lot easier to read when i read the Assassins Blade and got to know a little more about the characters and why they ended up where they did. ( )
  sam276 | Mar 1, 2017 |
SPOILER ALERT!! I just finished this book and I have so many questions! What will happen to Celaena as the king's champion? What is going to happen between her and Dorian and Chaol? What's going to happen to Nehemia? Ahhh! just can't wait to read the second book. Unfortunately I don't have money right now:( I'm saving up to buy A Song of Ice and Fire series so I'll probably have to wait till next month to buy the second book:'( Noooooo!!! ( )
  bookishpeach240 | Feb 7, 2017 |
"Your scars are awful" he said, almost whispering. She put a hand on her hip and walked to the dressing room door. "We all bear scars, Dorian.… Mine just happened to be more visible than most."

I feel very accomplished, and less like I'm missing out on a significant reading experience, to have finally read [b:Throne of Glass|7896527|Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1)|Sarah J. Maas|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1335819760s/7896527.jpg|11138426], book one of the five book fantasy series, by epic storyteller, [a:Sarah J. Maas|3433047|Sarah J. Maas|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1269281353p2/3433047.jpg]. I was not disappointed.

In this book we are introduced to our heroine, 18-year-old, world renowned, female assassin, Celaena Sardothien. Fresh out of prison, more specifically, the salt mines of Endovier, A notorious DEF can't wear few survive more than a couple months of hard labor and brutal conditions, and no one gets out alive. But Celaena is retrieved from Endovier by Prince Dorian Havilliard personally and he propositions the young assassin with the opportunity to be his champion in a competition to determine who the best of the baddest is, the winner of which will be named the kings assassin. Furthermore, if Celaena when's this is steamed title, after four years of service to the king (who she utterly despise is for conquering her country and enslaving her people), she will be granted not only a clean slate and a fresh start but also her freedom, a liberty and luxury that the good hearted assassin has never experienced. Despite her profession, we learn that Celaena is morally sound, loyal and just, although a bit misguided, who has fallen victim to her circumstances yet managed to hold onto her integrity and spirit and has merely done what has been necessary for her survival and nothing more.

Now, Celaena finds herself an unlikely guest at the Kings Castle as more than one prestigious mail admirer tries to win her affection and attention while jealous onlookers will stop at nothing to see the assassin gone for good. However, Celaena's attention tries to remain focused on the multitude of tests she must compete in before the ultimate battle for the title of kings assassin. With so much at stake and everything to lose Celaena tries not to be distracted when her competitors keep turning up dead, brutally mutilated by someone or something that can only be defined as pure evil yet elusive and at large.

Celaena finds herself fighting for more than just her freedom while the scars from her hunting past won't allow her to forget where she came from and what she's at risk of returning to, all the while making unexpected connections and friendships, despite herself, only to learn that both allies and enemies aren't always as they appear.

I enjoyed reading this book tremendously. Celaena is a bad-ass bitch! An entertaining protagonist, likable, albeit flawed, and overall an absolute pleasure to read about. It was impossible not to become invested in her. It was obvious that this was only the beginning of Celaena's story and Maas set the stage for an intriguing, addictive saga. The romantic-triangle subplot was also nicely laid out, without overpowering the storyline but suggesting more will be revealed as the series progresses.

I'm giving [b:Throne of Glass|7896527|Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1)|Sarah J. Maas|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1335819760s/7896527.jpg|11138426] 4 out of 5 stars and for readers who enjoy YA fantasy with a strong, kick-ass, female protagonist, this is a must-read series.
  JordanAshleyPerkins | Jan 26, 2017 |

I feel very accomplished, and less like I'm missing out on a significant reading experience, to have finally read Throne of Glass, book one of the five book fantasy series, by epic storyteller, Sarah J. Maas. I was not disappointed.

I'm giving Throne of Glass 4 out of 5 stars and for readers who enjoy YA fantasy with a strong, kick-ass, female protagonist, this is a must-read series. ( )
  JordanAshleyPerkins | Jan 14, 2017 |

Sarah J. Maasprimary authorall editionscalculated
Evans, ElizabethNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Nothing is a coincidence. Everything has a purpose. You were meant to come to this castle, just as you were meant to be an assassin."
To all my readers from FictionPress - for being with me at the beginning and staying long after the end. Thank you for everything.
After a year of slavery in the Salt Mines of Endovier, Celaena Sardothien was accustomed to being escorted everywhere in shackles and at sword-point.

After she has served a year of hard labor in the salt mines of Endovier for her crimes, Crown Prince Dorian offers eighteen-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien her freedom on the condition that she act as his champion in a competition to find a new royal assassin.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,778,631 books! | Top bar: Always visible