Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Throne of Glass (edition 2012)

by Sarah J. Maas

Member:usagijihen
Title:Throne of Glass
Authors:Sarah J. Maas
Info:Bloomsbury USA Childrens (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 416 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:arc, 2012, reviewed, best of 2012

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Recently added byPinniped23, kesser, private library, clear_tranquil, thehistorychic, ChemChick, AaminahNisa
    Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder (foggidawn)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (luna_lovegood)
    luna_lovegood: Exactly as kazhout said "strong, beautiful, intelligent, and sassy." Plus, badass and good heart.
    The Assassin and the Pirate Lord by Sarah J. Maas (Lpaddycake)
    Lpaddycake: This prequel to Throne of Glass explains more of Celaena's past and her love for Sam.

English (115)  German (1)  All languages (116)
Read from September 07 to 11, 2014

Read for Fun (Library)
Overall Rating: 3.50
Story Rating: 3.50
Character Rating: 3.50

First Thought when Finished: Though it took me over half the book to get into Throne of Glass by Sarah J Maas, the second half made me want to continue the story to see where it leads.

Story Thoughts: I probably should have started with character thoughts because they kind of go hand in hand for the first half of the book: if the pace was going to be slow and methodical there needed be more character and suspense building. I have heard that I would have felt more "hooked" if I read the novellas first but I don't like the fact that I "needed" to. With the story, I felt that the pacing was uneven the 1rst half: started off with a bang, crawled to a stop, then slowly picked back up again. The 2nd half (around page 200) was more even with a great ebb and flow of up and down (hook me in then let me breath). I also felt the story got much tighter in the 2nd half with everything being meaningful and each detail leading to another reveal. In other words, I really think this could have been 100 pages lighter and it would have been perfect.

Character Thoughts: I think I would have been OK with the pacing in the first half if it was filled with character building but everything that I learned about the characters that meant something to me all came in the 2nd half. The first half just made me aware of the bad guys more than anything but hating them didn't really make me "like" the leads any more. Also I am going to admit it: I don't like the Prince. From beginning to end, he seemed shallow, arrogant, and bored with it all. To be honest, if the love triangle blossoms I am likely to lose interest. As far as C, I liked her from the beginning. Yes she was arrogant (or confident) but there was always something there that made you think "champion" (though not for the king). I liked many of the side characters, especially in the 2nd half and I wouldn't mind if the 2nd book focused more on them. They really were a fascinating bunch.

Final Thoughts: I know it sounds like I had a lot of problems with the book but those all cleared up in the 2nd half for me. The writing and storytelling ended strong so I will be continuing the series as soon as I can get my hands on book 2. ( )
  thehistorychic | Sep 16, 2014 |
So I've been staring at my screen for days no trying to review this, not because I didn't enjoy it, but the opposite. When I first read The Fault In our Stars, it was so hard to review it because how could I truly put into words what had gripped me about the book? how could I review it and say anything that hasn't been said before? the answer is I couldn't. When I first started to read Throne of Glass I knew very early on that I was going to have problems reviewing it, and boy was I right.

High fantasy wasn't a genre I really took notice of, that was until a while ago. I've always had a very soft spot in my heart for fantasy, slowly but surely though I'm starting to ride the high fantasy train, and it's books like these that are pushing me on it. Normally when a book is hyped up I'm very cautious because I expect so much, though this book was hyped up to the max, it's completely justified because this book had me hooked from start to finish.

One thing I loved the most about this book was the characters. Each one, no matter how big or small a role they played in the book, had their own personalty and story. Each one was needed and the sub character were in no way overshadowed or forgotten about. But the main characters? just shut up. There isn't a single thing I could say about them that would come across as negative. One of the hardest things for me to find these days when it comes to the fantasy genre is a strong female lead. (if you can recommend me a book you think has one, I'm happy to have a look at them) Celaena is one hell of a girl, we are promised a female assassin in the summary and boy does Sarah J. Maas deliver. She was a strong minded, hot headed at times, deadly 18 year old and I loved reading about her. I think one of the things I loved the most about her was that even though she had a lot to complain about, she wasn't a woe is my type. She got on with it, which is a lot more than I could have done haha.

And lets not forget our leading males. Though I loved Choal more than I loved Dorian, they both were such likable and at times relatable characters. They were well thought out, well developed and just all around brilliant. I loved the playfulness of Choal while still acting professional, I loved how Dorian knew he was good looking and desirable and flaunted it at times, I just loved them both.

And of course we can't have a book without some sort of romance right? well this yet again got high marks for me. Everything about it was subtle, with a slow build up. They weren't fighting one minuet and clutching at each other the next. I suppose you could say there is a bit of a love triangle in this book, one that at first isn't exactly obvious. It isn't over done, it doesn't take over anything else or overshadow what would be the main romance and there isn't a stupid competition between the two males for Celaena's attention. It was such a mature love triangle. She wasn't bouncing between the two either, she didn't declare her love for one only to go running to the next, and from the time the triangle became apparent there was no real indication as to who she would end up with or who she had the stronger feelings for.

The only thing I would say about this book is the trails in my opinion could have been a little harder, given what was at stake. I know that towards the middle of the book the story was more focused on what was going on in between trails then the trails itself, but as the first book is about her may or may not working for the king, I still feel like they could have been more to them. (and I could be the only one on that)

Overall, as you can tell, I really liked this book. I can't wait to see what happens next and I'm so excited for the rest of the series that is looking to be a rather long one, and if it isn't then I'm thankful for the plethora of novella's to keep me going for a while. The book is over 400 pages, and I wasn't bored once. Well done Sarah, well done ( )
  Staciesnape | Sep 14, 2014 |
[Cross-posted to Knite Writes]

I won’t lie — I enjoyed this book. But it did have a lot of faults.

I think the main reason I liked this was the snark. I’m a sucker for good snark — as you all know well — and this book is chock full of sarcastic dialogue and the main characters making jabs at one another. The conversations in this book between Calaena, Chaol, and Dorian were always amusing and fun to read, and the dialogue kept the story going even in the slowest of places.

And the characters themselves weren’t too shabby either, personality wise. They were all pretty well fleshed out, from main characters to minor, and they were all pretty interesting, too. I don’t think I spotted a single character I thought could have been cut from the book without consequences. They all belonged and fit flawlessly into the plot. So, well done on two fronts.

But there were some pretty big issues.

First, despite the fact I did like Calaena’s personality, she didn’t come off as an assassin. The book boasts of her terrifying reputation many times, and her physical prowess and skills were impressive…but she just didn’t fit her backstory very well. She didn’t seem hardened by murder. She wasn’t cold. She wasn’t callous. She was far too warm for me to believe she’d been trained to kill people for a living from a young age. She made for a good character, sure, but in light of her supposed background, her quality was a bit diminished. She could have been stronger in context.

Secondly, the plot drags. Especially in the middle. There was far too little going on for about half the story for my taste. Now, I kept reading through the boring parts because, as mentioned, the dialogue was witty, and it was fun to read, but I couldn’t escape the nagging feeling that nothing significant was happening for much of the book. And it kind of boggles my mind, the reason why — there were plenty of opportunities to integrate important events into the plot, but they weren’t. They were summarized after the fact instead of utilized to keep the plot going strong.

This happened several times. Events that could have been used to build tension were glossed over in favor of largely irrelevant scenes. Color me confused. I’m not sure why that choice was made. This book would have been far stronger plot-wise if those key events had been expanded and the other, less relevant content cut from the book entirely.

My third and final issue was the writing style. There’s a content-style disconnect in this book. Which is an issue I’ve had with YA before. And the issue is this: the content level of the book suggests it’s written for an older teen audience, but the writing style reads as more appropriate for MG. There are some pretty gruesome descriptions in this book, and a good deal of violence not glossed over in the least, and plenty of references to sex, and a fair amount of swearing.

So, it’s definitely for a teenage audience. But it sounds as if it was written for preteens instead.

Now, this issue didn’t really detract from my enjoyment of the book much, but I didn’t notice it on occasion, and thinking it about it after the fact, I realize this book could have been much stronger if the writing style had been taken up a few notches. If the tone better matched the content level. If the violence and swearing and what not were framed by a style more appropriate for a near-adult audience (say, ~16+).

All in all, though, this book was a pretty fun and easy read. It lulls in the middle. It reads as rather juvenile. But the characters are great, and the dialogue is witty. And the world-building isn’t half bad either. :)

_____

It Is Worth Reading?

Depends. If you enjoy YA in general, you’ll probably like Throne of Glass, especially if you don’t mind a younger tone. If you don’t read much YA because it’s not your thing, I doubt you’ll get much out of this.

_____

3/5 ( )
  TherinKnite | Sep 12, 2014 |
Celaena's chance for freedom is dependent upon her becoming the king's champion. She has spent the last year enslaved after being captured. Her former occupation: assassin. To become champion she must best the other candidates in a series of tests with the final challenge being one on one combat. Can she be strong enough to face battle hardened soldiers, sly thieves, and intrigue. With the help of her guard Chaol and the support of her sponsor Prince Dorian she regains her strength. While at the competition, some of her challengers are brutally and gruesomely murdered. Celaena has to face her competition and try to avoid being murdered by a mysterious and violent killer.
There is a lot of action and intrigue mixed with some ghosts and spirits. Along the way Celaena has to deal with some unwanted love interest and the jealousy or other ladies at the castle. To win her freedom she must survive and win the competition. But can she do this while also battling an evil force? Hard to put down, kept me turning the pages. Finished last night and starting book two, Crown of Midnight, today. ( )
  alsparks324 | Sep 9, 2014 |
So close to five stars. So close.

I loved this book, I really did. Magic-kinda, puppies, kickass assassins, pretty dresses, awesome heroine - I should be happy! I would've enjoyed it more if the book wasn't so punch-you-in-the-face obvious with the love interests, because everything else was delightfully unpredictable. I would've preferred no love interests, honestly, and shame on me for not checking to see how blatantly YA romancey it was beforehand. Everything else, though, was worth it. A little fantasy, a little murder mystery, ghosts (?), a lot of stabby-stabby, some pretty dresses and nefarious plotting - it's got a little something for everyone.

That said, this series has me absolutely hooked, and that's something that hasn't happened to me since I read The Hunger Games. Sure, I plowed through Divergent in two days (loved it!), The Selection in a week (not for me), Delirium in two days (rad!), but Throne of Glass has been sitting heavily in my chest for the past few nights. It has the weight of a good story, writing that isn't condescendingly simple nor is it pretentious, and I feel like I actually won't be able to predict what's going to happen next.

The ending felt rushed, a bit slapdash, but it was satisfyingly not tied in a neat bow or ended on a deliberate, ridiculous cliffhanger.

I could stop right now if I wanted to and there would be a whole little story arc complete.

So obviously, Crown of Midnight is getting snatched up at my local library today. I don't know who I'm kidding - I won't be able to stop until I've devoured every piece of this series. ( )
  strongasanoak | Sep 8, 2014 |
To all my readers from FictionPress - for being with me at the beginning and staying long after the end. Thank you for everything.
After a year of slavery in the Salt Mines of Endovier, Celaena Sardothien was accustomed to being escorted everywhere in shackles and at sword-point.

After she has served a year of hard labor in the salt mines of Endovier for her crimes, Crown Prince Dorian offers eighteen-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien her freedom on the condition that she act as his champion in a competition to find a new royal assassin.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,706,426 books! | Top bar: Always visible