Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Throne of Glass (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Sarah J. Maas

Member:usagijihen
Title:Throne of Glass
Authors:Sarah J. Maas
Info:Bloomsbury USA Childrens (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 416 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:arc, 2012, reviewed, best of 2012

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas (2012)

Graceling by Kristin Cashore (luna_lovegood)
    luna_lovegood: Exactly as kazhout said "strong, beautiful, intelligent, and sassy." Plus, badass and good heart.
    Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder (foggidawn)
    The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson (becksdakex)
    The Assassin and the Pirate Lord by Sarah J. Maas (Lpaddycake)
    Lpaddycake: This prequel to Throne of Glass explains more of Celaena's past and her love for Sam.

English (155)  German (1)  All languages (156)
Confession: I skipped the entire middle third of this book. I was going to return it without finishing, because... Well, because it was making me feel like an old lady reading a teenager book and the love triangle was gagging me and I was bored... but I randomly flipped it open to somewhere near the back and just started reading until the end, and I wasn't even lost. Had no trouble at all figuring out what happened and what was currently happening, so I don't feel bad about skipping a big chunk of the book. I found a short cut, ya'll! If this was Mariokart I would have lapped everyone. Now, will I read the next one? Eh, hard to say. I've heard it's MUCH better than this first one so I did go in with those expectations, but I don't know if this one intrigued me enough to make me want to continue. ( )
  KirSio | Aug 31, 2015 |
"My name is Celaena Sardothien. But it makes no difference if my name's Celaena or Lillian or Bitch, because I'd still beat you, no matter what you call me."

This is something I never truly expected. Guess this is the best thing about setting low expectations in a book-- you get to be surprised! The moment I started Throne of Glass, I was already sure that it's going to be just an okay book. I didn't even wish to read its sequels for the reason that it's quite a lengthy series. I was just curious because of the hype.

But holy crap! What was I've just read? Seriously, did I just read such a freaking amazing book? Wow, just wow!

Miss Sarah J. Maas, you've just gained another fan right here. Count me in!

I love everything in this book. From all its epicness glory to its impressive world and character building. Such a beautiful, high-fantasy read! If you want to know why I love it, here are the reasons why:

1.) It's compelling and a total page-turner.

Ever had that feeling when you just want to devour word after word just to sink everything in to your mind because you just want to savor every little detail in the book and enjoy it? I've just felt that in every chapter.

2.) I love the characters.

Celaena Sardothien, the main character of this book, is my kind of character. Kick-ass, strong-willed, and not angsty and annoying. I love how she turned out to be such a strong girl despite her awful past.

Dorian Havilliard. Holy mother of all Gods! I just love him so much. And don't be mad at me guys (I know there are lots of you, Team Chaol. Ha!) but he's such an adorable character. I have always been a fan of princes, dukes, and royal characters so it was not hard for me to like him, and even adore him from the first up to the last chapters. I'm Team Dorian all the way!!!

Chaol Westfall. All right, so even if I'm Team Dorian, I have to be honest that I do admire this guy. I love his character and the way he's too composed and protective towards Celaena. He's a character every girl will drool over, okay! (which makes the love triangle really, really hard af)

3.) The author's writing style is perfection.

In every book, the author's writing style is the one that really matters. In Throne of Glass, the author just made a perfect job. Sarah J. Maas was able to pull me into the high-fantasy feels I've always wanted to delve into. I love how her words were easy to digest. It makes everything smooth, given the fact that there were many terminologies and names that readers need to get to know.

4.) The love triangle.

I have to admit that love triangles in books are a bit challenging for me, because they could either hit or miss. But this book-- it's just... I don't know what to say. The love triangle is amazingly done. Have you experienced being put in a situation where you just don't know who to choose between two guys because both are just amazing? I experienced that during the first chapters. But well, I have to say that I'm biased because like I said, Dorian won my heart. (But the series is not yet done, so I don't know. Maybe I could change my mind. But for now though..) *sigh*

5.) Perfect plot.

The plot is really good! There were no dull moments. There were lots of twists and turns and surprising events that will absolutely blow your mind!

6.) Epic action scenes.

Best of all, I love the action side of this book. It's just the beginning of the series and yet the energy is already there!

As a whole, the book is AMAZING. I was not prepared for this, but yes-- I already decided to invest in this series and read its sequels. It's now a new favorite!!! Hopefully the series will continue to become epic. Looking forward to that!

Rating: 5 Stars ( )
  IAMPEARL | Aug 27, 2015 |
The main character of Sarah J Maas' Throne of Glass is 18 year-old Celaena Sardothien, she is the world's most deadly assassin.

When I was 18 I was laughed out of a house party after it was discovered I'd been pronouncing the name of the band INXS as "Inks" for most of my teenage life.

For the past year Celaena has been doing hard labour in the brutal mines of Endovier. Her crime? She got caught doing what she does best, ending people's lives.

I once had a job going door to door asking people if they wanted their houses painted. I was threatened with physical violence on more that one occasion. Now THAT's hard labour, am I right?

Out of the blue, Celaena is dragged before the high court. She's given one chance at freedom, act as the Prince's champion in a high-stakes competition aimed at finding a new royal assassin.

You can read the rest of my review over at http://theangster.weebly.com ( )
  LJMax | Aug 21, 2015 |
I listened to this one on audio and wasn't 100% thrilled with the narration and I think that impacted my impression of the characters. The narration was a bit over dramatic at times and didn't do a great job of distinguishing characters.

This is also pretty light fantasy. The world has hints of some cool elements, but the characters also play billiards and chess (though with some different pieces for giggles?). The villain was properly spooky, but I was never really worried that our heroine would come out on top.

I kind of got a hunger games but in fantasy vibe, anyone else? ( )
  anyaejo | Aug 12, 2015 |
Originally posted at The Scribbling Sprite

Why was this book so hard to rate? After all, I flew through it. The world building was spectacular. And the story's delightfully morbid. (I kid! I kid!) For being a book about an assassin it was pretty low-key. Except for the whole gushing entrails thing.

So. Why do I settle on only 3 stars? Because I've become this stupid analytical reader, that's why(Is this what editors feel like?). All of the problems with this book wouldn't stop glaring at me. I glared back at them; I told them to leave me be and let me enjoy my book in peace! They didn't listen. Bother!

On the upside, for everything I didn't like about the book, there was something else to praise.

For example:

The writing was beautiful and the descriptions were well done. Maas does a good job of really transporting you into the setting of the story. BUT--the info dumps scattered about the book and the frequent lack of showing was a major turnoff.

As for the characters? I LIKE them, and I like how they were portrayed. Celaena isn't a favorite character of mine, by any means, but I like that she wants to be known for something other than killing. I like that she's not some unfeeling killing machine. I like that, despite her job and her past and her circumstances, she can be girly. She can love dresses and balls and care about how she looks. (Oh, and she loves books. She's quite the well-rounded assassin).

I like Chaol and that, through all his gruffness, he's shown himself to be noble and generous. I like Dorian in that he wants to show that he's more than the crown. And that he wants a wife equal to him in mind and spirit. I like how Kaltain wasn't just portrayed as the simpering, catty girl who hungered after the crown but rather an intelligent, complex character(who hungered after the crown).

I like a lot of things, okay? BUT(I know, I'm so mean. Another 'but'.) while I liked them, I didn't feel this TRUE connection I was supposed to feel, I TRIED to feel. Where were all the FEELS??

It was also hard to get on board with the whole love triangle thing. First of all, WHERE WAS THE LOVE? I get that our two main guys both like Celaena, but the romance felt really flat. It was like the author put the characters together and gave them these weird mushy feelings for each other so we expect SOMETHING to happen and then...

Yup. I mean, there WAS romance, but it was pretty lame. The tension was lacking, which is the whole point of a love triangle. But it really wasn't all bad. It was refreshing, really, reading a Young Adult Fantasy with an emphasis on the actual fantasy(and less ooey gooey stuff). I'll be happy if the series continues that way, as long as the parts WITH romance are written better. That's all I ask.

I think for the most part the good parts outweigh the bad ones. The competition was cool, Celaena was an interesting character to read about, and the ending was pretty epic.

I've become quite the nit-picky reader. But I still devoured the book, didn't I? I'm still aching for Crown of Midnight. And I've heard it gets better. *shrugs* We'll see.

**Edit: It...gets better. And then it gets infinitely worse. *sigh*

Content: Mild language; mild innuendo I think at one point two people lay in bed beside each other, but nothing happens; violence
  ScribblingSprite | Aug 10, 2015 |
"Nothing is a coincidence. Everything has a purpose. You were meant to come to this castle, just as you were meant to be an assassin."
To all my readers from FictionPress - for being with me at the beginning and staying long after the end. Thank you for everything.
After a year of slavery in the Salt Mines of Endovier, Celaena Sardothien was accustomed to being escorted everywhere in shackles and at sword-point.

After she has served a year of hard labor in the salt mines of Endovier for her crimes, Crown Prince Dorian offers eighteen-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien her freedom on the condition that she act as his champion in a competition to find a new royal assassin.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,137,705 books! | Top bar: Always visible