Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Throne of Glass (edition 2012)

by Sarah J. Maas

Member:usagijihen
Title:Throne of Glass
Authors:Sarah J. Maas
Info:Bloomsbury USA Childrens (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 416 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:arc, 2012, reviewed, best of 2012

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder (foggidawn)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (luna_lovegood)
    luna_lovegood: Exactly as kazhout said "strong, beautiful, intelligent, and sassy." Plus, badass and good heart.
    The Assassin and the Pirate Lord by Sarah J. Maas (Lpaddycake)
    Lpaddycake: This prequel to Throne of Glass explains more of Celaena's past and her love for Sam.

English (116)  German (1)  All languages (117)
Loved this book!! It's got it all. A kick ass woman, good plot, romance, adventure, intrigue. How could you resist being dressed in the finest gowns and pampered after being a slave in a salt mine? :-) ( )
  bookwoman137 | Sep 25, 2014 |
So close to five stars. So close.

I loved this book, I really did. Magic-kinda, puppies, kickass assassins, pretty dresses, awesome heroine - I should be happy! I would've enjoyed it more if the book wasn't so punch-you-in-the-face obvious with the love interests, because everything else was delightfully unpredictable. I would've preferred no love interests, honestly, and shame on me for not checking to see how blatantly YA romancey it was beforehand. Everything else, though, was worth it. A little fantasy, a little murder mystery, ghosts (?), a lot of stabby-stabby, some pretty dresses and nefarious plotting - it's got a little something for everyone.

That said, this series has me absolutely hooked, and that's something that hasn't happened to me since I read The Hunger Games. Sure, I plowed through Divergent in two days (loved it!), The Selection in a week (not for me), Delirium in two days (rad!), but Throne of Glass has been sitting heavily in my chest for the past few nights. It has the weight of a good story, writing that isn't condescendingly simple nor is it pretentious, and I feel like I actually won't be able to predict what's going to happen next.

The ending felt rushed, a bit slapdash, but it was satisfyingly not tied in a neat bow or ended on a deliberate, ridiculous cliffhanger.

I could stop right now if I wanted to and there would be a whole little story arc complete.

So obviously, Crown of Midnight is getting snatched up at my local library today. I don't know who I'm kidding - I won't be able to stop until I've devoured every piece of this series. ( )
  strongasanoak | Sep 25, 2014 |
So much potential. Wasted. Ruined by a poorly constructed insta-love triangle.

This is not [b:A Game of Thrones|13496|A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1)|George R.R. Martin|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1330834644s/13496.jpg|1466917]. Nor is it [b:The Hunger Games|2767052|The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)|Suzanne Collins|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1337857402s/2767052.jpg|2792775]. Or [b:Poison Study|60510|Poison Study (Study, #1)|Maria V. Snyder|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1170542921s/60510.jpg|1180409]. Describing Throne of Glass as such is an insult to those works.

The Love Triangle
Heroine: 18-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien. She's young, fairly inexperienced in the politics of love. Physically and mentally bouncing back from her time as a slave in the salt mines surprisingly quickly with rapidly diminishing bitterness (another reason to be bitter: I'm pretty sure the King is responsible for her parents' deaths because they're fae) as she keeps her feelings for both men on the down low until she can't deny how close she's become to the Prince from their actions. She doesn't appear to pick up on Chaol's gestures of understanding and affection, believing he's yet to trust her not to kill someone or escape at any moment, so she doesn't play the men off against each other.

Suitor #1: 19-year-old Prince Dorian. Seducer of all women and professes he will only ever marry for love. Spoilt but not cruel, he hates his father for his unending crimes against humanity in the name of conquering the entire world. Surrounded by the weak and brainless women of court he's eager to escape he almost forces himself to become besotted by Celaena's strong-willed, feisty and intelligent nature, so very different from what he's used to. His interest is part defiance of his father and his best friend Chaol, Captain Westfall of the Royal Guard, after they warn him away from her. Celaena herself seems dazzled by his handsomeness and wishes to have a little fun by indulging his attentions. In the blink of an eye we have insta-love. Oh, the fawning they did over each other, argh. For him, this would be a great match. Celaena has the power to transform him from a boy to a man, a man fit to be king. But I don't think Celaena would get much from such a union.

Suitor #2: 22-year-old Chaol, Captain Westfall of the Royal Guard, and Celaena's trainer. The more natural of the two pairings when you think of the considerable amout of time they've spent together training. Skilled and strong, Chaol secretly grows to like her, against his will, more and more, without letting his feelings be known to anyone. Both he and Dorian experience jealously over her, while Celaena remains practically oblivious of Chaol's interest. It's a deep, slow burn from afar. Celaena was interested in Chaol to begin with but his brusque responses, with only a hint of playfulness, gave her the impression he didn't like her despite him blowing hot and cold throughout the rest of the book. Perhaps he was too subtle. While Dorian stumbles about a bit (odd for a womanizer), Chaol is the brooding, cautious and trusty rock you can always count on.

The Winner: Inconclusive. Celaena drops the Prince like a hot potato once she's finally named Champion in a way that presented her as a cold-hearted, manipulative bitch. I actually felt sorry for the guy despite finding him to be too spoilt, immature and weak to be a worthy partner. Chaol appears to be happy Celaena is on the market again as the book closes but all I could think was, "Run away! Before she breaks your heart too."

An Inconsistent Heroine
As the book opens, Celaena is smart, strong-willed, fiesty and bloodthirsty. She used her quick wit and smart-mouth to embarrass and infuriate. Basically, she was badass. Trouble is, that didn't last.

Most of the trials, training and associated fighting were offstage while Celaena turned into a vain Barbie doll going to a ball and seducing the prince. I don't begrudge her femininity or the chance to be pretty again after the ugliness she'd suffered but this is not what I signed up for. It was too much.

Then she turns her hand to investigating the mysterious deaths, sleuthing, unsuccessfully I might add.

Finally, the last hurdle, the duel takes place. And it's action, action, action. (Honestly, I was so fed up by now I didn't pay much attention.) Followed by, "You're dumped!" with no thought to the Prince's feelings. For all her agonzing over the fate of slaves and the harsh treatment she'd received I thought she'd know what "tact" was. She came off as the bad guy, the assassin without a heart, exactly what they'd all thought of her in the beginning. It made me wonder if she really is playing a game of politics, calculating every move.

Predictable
The mystery behind the deaths of the would-be champions was insanely obvious. We knew early on who's responsible, who's pulling the strings (The King, such a hypocrite, and we know how he rolls now don't we? Worse than Cain and the Duke sacrificing his entourage like that), and I had a vague idea of the how. Not so mysterious. Perhaps because the reader gets the advantage of seeing things from multiple points of view I'm being too harsh on Celaena's ability to figure this all out but using the Princess as a red herring failed miserably. Celaena should've known the Princess would never risk so much for short-term gain, that would be stupid, something she definitely is not.

Conclusion
I itched to DNF this, and to award 1 star, for the absurd (and painful to read about) love triangle, but I recognised the potential of the beginning and that of the world-building, as under-developed as it was. I wanted more action, politics and mystery, and much, much less romance. No romance at all would be fine. It's not a requirement for every single book.

*Thank you to Bloomsbury UK and Netgalley for the e-ARC in exchange for an honest review.* ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
Read from September 07 to 11, 2014

Read for Fun (Library)
Overall Rating: 3.50
Story Rating: 3.50
Character Rating: 3.50

First Thought when Finished: Though it took me over half the book to get into Throne of Glass by Sarah J Maas, the second half made me want to continue the story to see where it leads.

Story Thoughts: I probably should have started with character thoughts because they kind of go hand in hand for the first half of the book: if the pace was going to be slow and methodical there needed be more character and suspense building. I have heard that I would have felt more "hooked" if I read the novellas first but I don't like the fact that I "needed" to. With the story, I felt that the pacing was uneven the 1rst half: started off with a bang, crawled to a stop, then slowly picked back up again. The 2nd half (around page 200) was more even with a great ebb and flow of up and down (hook me in then let me breath). I also felt the story got much tighter in the 2nd half with everything being meaningful and each detail leading to another reveal. In other words, I really think this could have been 100 pages lighter and it would have been perfect.

Character Thoughts: I think I would have been OK with the pacing in the first half if it was filled with character building but everything that I learned about the characters that meant something to me all came in the 2nd half. The first half just made me aware of the bad guys more than anything but hating them didn't really make me "like" the leads any more. Also I am going to admit it: I don't like the Prince. From beginning to end, he seemed shallow, arrogant, and bored with it all. To be honest, if the love triangle blossoms I am likely to lose interest. As far as C, I liked her from the beginning. Yes she was arrogant (or confident) but there was always something there that made you think "champion" (though not for the king). I liked many of the side characters, especially in the 2nd half and I wouldn't mind if the 2nd book focused more on them. They really were a fascinating bunch.

Final Thoughts: I know it sounds like I had a lot of problems with the book but those all cleared up in the 2nd half for me. The writing and storytelling ended strong so I will be continuing the series as soon as I can get my hands on book 2. ( )
  thehistorychic | Sep 16, 2014 |
So I've been staring at my screen for days no trying to review this, not because I didn't enjoy it, but the opposite. When I first read The Fault In our Stars, it was so hard to review it because how could I truly put into words what had gripped me about the book? how could I review it and say anything that hasn't been said before? the answer is I couldn't. When I first started to read Throne of Glass I knew very early on that I was going to have problems reviewing it, and boy was I right.

High fantasy wasn't a genre I really took notice of, that was until a while ago. I've always had a very soft spot in my heart for fantasy, slowly but surely though I'm starting to ride the high fantasy train, and it's books like these that are pushing me on it. Normally when a book is hyped up I'm very cautious because I expect so much, though this book was hyped up to the max, it's completely justified because this book had me hooked from start to finish.

One thing I loved the most about this book was the characters. Each one, no matter how big or small a role they played in the book, had their own personalty and story. Each one was needed and the sub character were in no way overshadowed or forgotten about. But the main characters? just shut up. There isn't a single thing I could say about them that would come across as negative. One of the hardest things for me to find these days when it comes to the fantasy genre is a strong female lead. (if you can recommend me a book you think has one, I'm happy to have a look at them) Celaena is one hell of a girl, we are promised a female assassin in the summary and boy does Sarah J. Maas deliver. She was a strong minded, hot headed at times, deadly 18 year old and I loved reading about her. I think one of the things I loved the most about her was that even though she had a lot to complain about, she wasn't a woe is my type. She got on with it, which is a lot more than I could have done haha.

And lets not forget our leading males. Though I loved Choal more than I loved Dorian, they both were such likable and at times relatable characters. They were well thought out, well developed and just all around brilliant. I loved the playfulness of Choal while still acting professional, I loved how Dorian knew he was good looking and desirable and flaunted it at times, I just loved them both.

And of course we can't have a book without some sort of romance right? well this yet again got high marks for me. Everything about it was subtle, with a slow build up. They weren't fighting one minuet and clutching at each other the next. I suppose you could say there is a bit of a love triangle in this book, one that at first isn't exactly obvious. It isn't over done, it doesn't take over anything else or overshadow what would be the main romance and there isn't a stupid competition between the two males for Celaena's attention. It was such a mature love triangle. She wasn't bouncing between the two either, she didn't declare her love for one only to go running to the next, and from the time the triangle became apparent there was no real indication as to who she would end up with or who she had the stronger feelings for.

The only thing I would say about this book is the trails in my opinion could have been a little harder, given what was at stake. I know that towards the middle of the book the story was more focused on what was going on in between trails then the trails itself, but as the first book is about her may or may not working for the king, I still feel like they could have been more to them. (and I could be the only one on that)

Overall, as you can tell, I really liked this book. I can't wait to see what happens next and I'm so excited for the rest of the series that is looking to be a rather long one, and if it isn't then I'm thankful for the plethora of novella's to keep me going for a while. The book is over 400 pages, and I wasn't bored once. Well done Sarah, well done ( )
  Staciesnape | Sep 14, 2014 |
To all my readers from FictionPress - for being with me at the beginning and staying long after the end. Thank you for everything.
After a year of slavery in the Salt Mines of Endovier, Celaena Sardothien was accustomed to being escorted everywhere in shackles and at sword-point.

After she has served a year of hard labor in the salt mines of Endovier for her crimes, Crown Prince Dorian offers eighteen-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien her freedom on the condition that she act as his champion in a competition to find a new royal assassin.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,890,434 books! | Top bar: Always visible