Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Throne of Glass (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Sarah J. Maas

Title:Throne of Glass
Authors:Sarah J. Maas
Info:Bloomsbury USA Childrens (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 416 pages
Tags:arc, 2012, reviewed, best of 2012

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas (2012)

Graceling by Kristin Cashore (luna_lovegood)
    luna_lovegood: Exactly as kazhout said "strong, beautiful, intelligent, and sassy." Plus, badass and good heart.
    Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder (foggidawn)
    The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson (becksdakex)
    The Assassin and the Pirate Lord by Sarah J. Maas (Lpaddycake)
    Lpaddycake: This prequel to Throne of Glass explains more of Celaena's past and her love for Sam.

English (218)  German (1)  All languages (219)
Fast paced and exciting, with just the right touch of romance and danger, this is one of the best YA Fantasy novels I've read.

The main character Celaena is fully developed. But Maas also keeps enough of her personality a mystery that the reader can't help but be intrigued by who (or what) she is. A strong female protagonist who is a match for any of the male characters in the book, Celaena is easy for the readers to root for. And at the same time, there is enough of a romantic, girlish streak in her personality that one can't help but like her.

The secondary characters in the novel are developed enough that the reader can clearly see them as people. They are believable and intriguing.

The book is perfectly balanced with backstory, danger, and action that I really couldn't put it down. I love when I fall into a story and can't stop reading it.

I will definitely be checking out the rest of the Throne of Glass series. I strongly recommend you do as well! ( )
  cathishaw | Oct 27, 2016 |
New read date June 5th-6th, 2016

Original read date March 9th-10th, 2013
Celaena Sardothien is doing hard labor for being the Assassin of Ardalan when she's given the opportunity to earn her freedom. Crown Prince Dorian offers her a deal she can't afford to turn down, if she refuses it would mean spending what's left of her life in the Salt Mines of Endovier. Prince Dorian asks her to enter a competition to become a Royal Champion, upon winning she will serve a term as the Kings personal Champion and earn her freedom in a matter of years. As much a Celaena hates the idea of having anything to do with a King she despises with all her soul she knows she has no other choice, it's a lot better than dying a sad death in one of the most horrible work camps. She accepts and begins her journey to becoming a Royal Champion.

Celaena quickly realizes things aren't as they seem when the competition starts and the contestants are dying in the most horrible ways imagined or unimagined. She starts to fear for her life and the other competitors as well, even though there is no love lost between her and most of the competitors, she just can't stomach the idea that someone is trying to eliminate them.

Celaena is a hot head who doesn't realize her own arrogance, her trainer Captain Westfall and the Prince's best friend has to deal with her impatience and anxiousness to show she's the best. Their distrust for each other was strangely funny, they kept playing an unspoken cat and mouse game with each other. Celaena's mind can be very toxic at times but kind of amusing, she is constantly thinking of ways to kill someone who annoys her, I guess I shouldn't expect anything else from a former assassin. I'm sure she still thinks of herself as one though.

A very unexpected event took place when Celaena was tasked with ridding the evil that is killing the competitors. I thought it would just be her journey for her freedom and a love triangle, but I was very surprised with the twists and turns of this story. I was already loving the story and was even more captivated when all the extra elements of the story started to pop up and added more layers and depth to a very interesting concept. Definitely a must read. ( )
  GigisIrieReads | Oct 22, 2016 |
Drama, suspense, secrets, abuse, friendship, and hope abound in this story. A testament to never quiting, never giving up hope. A well written story with good plot and character development ( )
  SBShepherd | Oct 16, 2016 |
This book was perfect in all aspects and elements of a great story. I don't know where was I from this series before. Why haven't I heard of it or known about it? Reading Throne of Glass was a great experience, loved the adventure it made me live with all the characters.

The story is about an assassin who has to fight for her freedom. To become The King's Champion she must join the games and and fight great thief, soldiers and assassin to win the title. But later, the other assassins start dying mysteriously. Scared for her life, Captain of The Guard will do anything to protect her and The Crown Prince will become her friend who will enjoy teasing her.

I loved how the story started and how it ended. The mystery behind Celeana's pain from the past and the marks on her back. Even though she became a great assassin, I felt there is more to her story, to why she became an assassin or how, which I suppose will know in the other books

"When one doesn't have access to a bath and perfume, I suppose one cannot smell as finely as you, your highness"

The way she talks makes you feel the strength and confidence in her character, even after what she has been through which we get to know a little bit about, not the whole thing but still. She is one of the great heroines out there and you cannot help but fall in love with her,

And I also loved her wittiness and how she always tried to provoke Chaol who was timid and tough. The conversation they had made me laugh. It's very easy for a book to make me cry or feel upset, but it's very difficult for a book to make me laugh, and when I laugh while reading a book, I know that this is a great book.

"Celaena didn't quite understand the softness in the look he gave her as he nodded".

The silent feelings that have been described through Chaol's looks towards Celaena made me ache for more, like a hug or something, maybe a kiss?! But I liked how the writer kept a distance between them. To me that is a clever-writing style, where the author keeps her reader wanting for more and not spilling everything in one page.

I can't wait to start reading the next book to know more and see what will happen after that shocking end. ( )
  books.paper.mania | Oct 8, 2016 |
I purchased this novel a couple of years ago, but only got around to picking it up last month. I wish I had read it earlier though, it's the first novel in a series that I'm definitely planning on finishing before the end of the year.
I found this novel to be a little of an odd read, it had an odd pacing to it, some parts were very slow, and others very fast, so some parts were really easy to read, but some parts I really found myself having to slog my way through. To be honest this novel was heading for a 3-3.5/5 star rating, for this reason alone, I wasn't even sure if I would end up finishing it. Thankfully the last 25% saved it and me from missing a great series. The pacing was much better towards the end, it was action packed and a very enjoyable read so I bumped up its rating!! This last part showed just how good Mass' writing could be, and if it hadn't had picked up I can guarantee I wouldn't be reading the rest of the novel.
However, apart from the pacing issue, I couldn't find any other flaws with this novel. The characters were good, they were well rounded and developed and had likeable and dislikable aspects which made them feel real and life like. The main character Celaena is one of these characters. When I first met her, I really disliked her, she seemed extremely arrogant and quite unpleasant, but Mass' excellent storytelling means that as you figure out her backstory, you come to see why she acts the way she does. By the end of this novel I absolutely loved her, and I can't wait to read more about her in the rest of the series. She was kickass, strong, so independent and I loved her ability to face anything with confidence and bravery. The other two main characters; Dorian and Chaol are well developed too. They are both kind and brave men, in Celaena's decision she is not faced with a "bad boy" and a "good boy", like in many novels, instead she faces a tough decision between the two of them, both different but both likeable in their own ways. That being said, I'm definitely "Team Chaol", his journey from rough and distant to so caring is one that I always enjoy reading in novels, so he definitely gets my vote! Dorian is well developed too, we see his struggle to deal with his father's rule and laws as King, and how he disagrees with him, and he loved books so thats always a plus!!
My favourite element of the plot of this novel was definitely the trials/tests that the assassins had to face, I only wish they had actually lasted longer in the novel, a lot of them were only briefly mentioned, and I would have liked to have read all about them.
Overall I really enjoyed this novel, it was slow in places but overall the plot kept me interested and I love the characters I have been introduced to. I am looking forward to getting to the rest of the series soon. ( )
  ACascadeofBooks | Oct 5, 2016 |

Sarah J. Maasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Evans, ElizabethNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Nothing is a coincidence. Everything has a purpose. You were meant to come to this castle, just as you were meant to be an assassin."
To all my readers from FictionPress - for being with me at the beginning and staying long after the end. Thank you for everything.
After a year of slavery in the Salt Mines of Endovier, Celaena Sardothien was accustomed to being escorted everywhere in shackles and at sword-point.

After she has served a year of hard labor in the salt mines of Endovier for her crimes, Crown Prince Dorian offers eighteen-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien her freedom on the condition that she act as his champion in a competition to find a new royal assassin.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,845,238 books! | Top bar: Always visible