Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Throne of Glass (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Sarah J. Maas

Member:usagijihen
Title:Throne of Glass
Authors:Sarah J. Maas
Info:Bloomsbury USA Childrens (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 416 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:arc, 2012, reviewed, best of 2012

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas (2012)

Graceling by Kristin Cashore (luna_lovegood)
    luna_lovegood: Exactly as kazhout said "strong, beautiful, intelligent, and sassy." Plus, badass and good heart.
    Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder (foggidawn)
    The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson (becksdakex)
    The Assassin and the Pirate Lord by Sarah J. Maas (Lpaddycake)
    Lpaddycake: This prequel to Throne of Glass explains more of Celaena's past and her love for Sam.

English (213)  German (1)  All languages (214)
Originally reviewed on shortramblingreviews.wordpress.com

There is the same amount of good with this as there is bad. It starts out with Calaena Sardothein, only 18 and already the worlds most feared assassin, has been caught and is toiling away in the salt mines, one day captain Westfall drags her before the prince, it seems he has chosen her to be his champion in a competition to become the kings champion and with it her freedom.

I was expecting the story to revolve around the trials she was to compete in. however this is not the case. the main bulk of the story revolved around exploring her feelings and a ridiculous love triangle between her and the captain. It rather destroyed the bad ass assassin image. therefore assassin fail!!

She came across as a petulant intolerant love sick child, very unattractive, and I had to force myself to finish it.

There are however, a few redeeming features to this book, the fight scenes that made it into the book are great, very well paced and exceptionally well written. The universe, it is set in has hints of being rich and extensive, but they were never really explored.

The world had been void of magic for a few years as the king banished it through brutal conquest, but the predictable twist is....no it hasn't. Even though it was predictable I like a world with magic but only if it's executed properly, and luckily this one incorporated magic in just the right way to spark my interested.

Over all it was OK, great in some areas but crushingly disappointing in others. ( )
  grlewry | Sep 22, 2016 |
*** Spoilers***
I read Throne of Glass April of last year and of course loved it! This series has a special place in my heart and Sarah J. Maas has become one of my favorite authors. Last night as I got to 74% completion on my kindle, I started to question some of the things that I remembered. I was desperately waiting for a beloved assassin and a captain of the guard to start their relationship. I flipped through a couple pages and realized that they don’t get together till Crown of Midnight! I was also waiting for Celaena to meet Baba Yellowlegs and surprise! That doesn’t happen in Throne of Glass either! I had forgotten so much in just a year! Aside from blending the story lines of the series, Throne of Glass was still just as amazing the second time around!
I think Dorian and Chaol grow as characters more so than Celaena does. While she develops friendships, she doesn’t change her ways. I only gleaned this notion from reading The Assassin’s Blade before Throne of Glass, in which we learn more about Celaena. I was focusing so much on Chaol, that I was blinded by Celaena and Dorin’s small but important relationship. Dorian was the first person that she kissed and became attracted to since Sam. While the romance was short lived, I think Sarah did a fine job of throwing Chaol back into the picture to hint at things to come.
The trails were also something I seemed to have forgotten. When I first read the novel, I felt that I was on the edge of my seat, with each test. Was she going to make it? What about the other Champions? However, this time, they weren’t as exciting for me. Maybe knowing that Celaena does become the King’s Champion prior, lessened the importance of her winning. Even with my scatterbrained remembrance of Throne of Glass, I still loved it the second time around. This is such a complex world that Sarah is creating and I can’t wait to relive the rest of the series! ( )
  NautiGirlReads | Sep 17, 2016 |
This book really messed with me. There were so many times when I was reading it where I thought "This is terrible," yet there was something about this book that kept me going. Something about this book that kept me reading.

Sure, the book itself is beautiful, the pages are stylized just enough to really add to the experience. But that shouldn't be enough for me to push through a mediocre book. So after sitting with this book for a while (and inflicting it on a friend for her thoughts) I realized that real reason I cared so much about Celaena Sardothien is that... she's Sailor Moon...

I mean think about it. She's this blonde (kind of), peppy, sometimes klutzy, but bad-ass when she needs to be, somehow endearing, resilient, and mildly annoying protagonist that might as well be two people. Like people sneak up on the world's greatest assassin all the time... but she's so good at archery and champion things that we don't even need to see them half the time. You geaux girl! (I guess?) My point is, Celaena is not wholly believable in the role she's set up to be.

Still, the book manages to do some interesting things with magic, fae, and demons. It also has glimmers (oh so small glimmers) of lasting effects from traumatic events and her living in a "death camp." Plus it promises a future full of pirates and assassin lords. So I guess I'll read the next book and hopefully the giant question mark above my head will get a real answer.

For now, let's just say that sometimes the things we like are problematic. And that's okay. ( )
  AlmostPerfectZen | Sep 16, 2016 |
"Throne of Glass" was a treat and delight to read. This fantasy has it all, snarky heroines, winsome princes and devilish fiends. It plays like a grungy steam punk novel at times, while others is filled with everything that's delightful about modern fantasy. Can't wait to devour the next installment. ( )
  JSilverwood | Aug 27, 2016 |
Been a fan of fantasy for since, I was interested in reading. Never knew that I will fell deeply in love with another fantasy series that hasn’t even finished yet! Throne of Glass was introduced by my friends to read and I’d give it a try. I don’t know what I was reading until I digest everything in return, I read all of Sarah J. Maas and crave for more. What I felt on the first book was pure starvation of the continuation, what I felt in the second installment was pure awe and excitement, what I felt in the third book was pure character development and world building and here comes the fourth book that devastate everything what I was known on the first three books. It is amazing! I never expect Sarah J Maas to be that good, better even. It was difficult to write and build a development in each and every character you are going to introduce much more the world building. I’m in awe and for that, I’ll give my bow to the Queen of Fantasy, All hail, Queen Maas!

“Libraries were full of ideas–perhaps the most dangerous and powerful of all weapons.” ( )
  Rafael_Ray | Aug 27, 2016 |

Sarah J. Maasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Evans, ElizabethNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Nothing is a coincidence. Everything has a purpose. You were meant to come to this castle, just as you were meant to be an assassin."
To all my readers from FictionPress - for being with me at the beginning and staying long after the end. Thank you for everything.
After a year of slavery in the Salt Mines of Endovier, Celaena Sardothien was accustomed to being escorted everywhere in shackles and at sword-point.

After she has served a year of hard labor in the salt mines of Endovier for her crimes, Crown Prince Dorian offers eighteen-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien her freedom on the condition that she act as his champion in a competition to find a new royal assassin.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,151,855 books! | Top bar: Always visible