Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Throne of Glass (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Sarah J. Maas

Member:usagijihen
Title:Throne of Glass
Authors:Sarah J. Maas
Info:Bloomsbury USA Childrens (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 416 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:arc, 2012, reviewed, best of 2012

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas (2012)

Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder (foggidawn)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (luna_lovegood)
    luna_lovegood: Exactly as kazhout said "strong, beautiful, intelligent, and sassy." Plus, badass and good heart.
    The Assassin and the Pirate Lord by Sarah J. Maas (Lpaddycake)
    Lpaddycake: This prequel to Throne of Glass explains more of Celaena's past and her love for Sam.
    The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson (becksdakex)
    Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard (bookishonabudget)

English (230)  German (1)  English (231)
This has the potential to be a great book, but the main character sounds like an adolescent airhead, possibly because she is. Will continue the series though. ( )
  blerd89 | Dec 4, 2016 |
Before I begin explaining this book, I need to explain something. I read a lot. When I mean a lot, I don’t mean that I read a book a week, I mean that today, since I woke up I have finished one book, and started and completed two more. It is highly likely that I will start a third before I go to sleep tonight. All of this means that my favorite book changes quite often. I loved Harry Potter for a while, then moved on to Megan Turner’s The Thief, then to Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein. That makes it all the more significant when I say that the Throne of Glass series has been my favorite since I started it almost four years ago. There have been some books that caught my interest and moved up on my list of loves, but I always came back to Sarah Maas, because she is just that good.

The series starts out by introducing the heroine, Celaena Sardothien, who has just spent a year in a slave camp where the average life expectancy is only a month. She was put there because she was Adarlan’s assassin – the best in the land, never caught, and never seen. Until her trial, almost no one even knew that she was a 17 year old girl. She has always been the best, the prettiest, and she knows it. Even worse, she makes sure everyone else knows it too.

I love Celaena.

Throughout this book, she isn’t just an assassin who has killed too many people to count. She isn’t just the girl who became a woman in the depths of Hell. She is a woman who is scarred and a little broken, but loves pretty things, and sweets, and music. She is a woman who is scared sometimes, who loves and gets mad and is happy. She is a person, not just an assassin, and that is what I love about Sarah Maas’s work.

Too many book these days are all about the situations the main character is in. I cannot count the number of times I have read a dystopian novel in which we get to watch the heroine come to age because of the circumstances that force her to grow up. In this world we get to see a woman who already knows that the world is bad, who has already grown up inside of it, and watched her love and her innocence die, but still has the will to truly live. ( )
  ReadsAny | Dec 3, 2016 |
In her debut novel, Throne of Glass, Sarah Maas introduces us to the deadly Celaena Sardothien, Adarlan’s Assassin. Betrayed and imprisoned she is forced to work in a salt mine, until she gets a visit from the Crown Prince, who choses her to be his champion in a competition to become the royal assassin. In return she gets her freedom and a clean slate. Faced with certain death or possible freedom, Celaena agrees to be the prince’s champion.

I got this book because I heard that fans of Hunger Games and Game of Thrones would like it. But, I think this is a bad marketing idea, especially for a debut novel, even if it already has an online fan-base from the original story. It really spoiled my reading experience because I felt I went into it with very high expectations. First, the things I didn’t like as much.

The competition wasn’t very exciting. We go into it knowing she will win, not just because she’s the main character and the possibility of her losing is small, but because everyone else believes that Adarlan’s Assassin is the certain winner. Added to this certainty, the competition didn’t seem hard for her at all, there was never a time where I doubted that she would win. This lack of tension made it seem very long and a bit boring.

Was that really a love triangle? I dislike love triangles in general, especially when most appear to be unrealistic and therefore annoying. The good thing about this love triangle was that even though the narrative alluded to one, it wasn’t a full blown angst-ridden triangle. Maas did a great job of steering clear of the typical. There is Chaol (the Captain of the Guard, who personally trains Celaena) and then there is Dorian (the Crown Prince). I would understand Chaol’s side, he spends a lot of time with Celaena, almost every day training, including eating meals together - which seemed unnecessary for a Captain to be doing with a prisoner. What I didn’t understand was Celaena and Dorian. We are lead to believe that Celaena hates Dorian, however, she changed her opinion rather quickly, and with limited contact. The speed at which she moved from hatred to fondness seems unrealistic, especially since Dorian didn’t perform any grand gesture. Other than that, the love triangle was more tolerable, even if it was still a bit unrealistic.

The writing style took some time to get use to. I’m not sure what it was about the way the story was written, but something in the sentence construction seemed awkward and often jarring. We kept jumping back and forth from different character perspective, which in itself wasn’t bad, (it was clearly defined and sometimes necessary to the storytelling) however, there were times when it would have been interesting to see Dorian or Chaol through Celaena’s eyes, as opposed to what they were thinking. At those points Celaena’s perspective and observations were lost.

All those things aside, there were a few things in this novel that I really enjoyed. Celaena is a good protagonist to read. She’s funny, independent, strong and even a little vulnerable - though, given her role this does seem odd sometimes. Her interaction with many of the characters in this novel provided some laugh out loud moments.

The idea of Throne of Glass is intriguing. Half-way though the book, characters start dying in horrific ways and the story picks up. The fantasy side starts developing and the mystery around the deaths is interesting. I was a fan of the fantasy in this tale and I definitely hope to see more in future works. I liked that the narrative was more than just the competition, that we saw relationships develop (Celaena and Princess Nehemia - who I kept calling Nehemiah in my head) and that there is an underlying fantasy side, which, while not overpowering, was strong enough to peaks my interest.

I’m not certain how many books this series will be, but, hopefully the story isn’t dragged out. When I finished, all the negatives stood out in my head, but, overtime the story grew on me. I liked it, and I’m hoping that there is growth in the writing on the next book. Fans of fantasy will enjoy.

[received an ARC at BEA]
  iShanella | Dec 2, 2016 |
This book.. I cannot begin to say enough good things about it. It was absolutely incredible and well written! This book is the reason I became obsessed with Sarah J Maas. I absolutely recommend it if you haven't read it. ( )
  bookishonabudget | Nov 22, 2016 |
Celaena is an assassin who has been in prison at Endovier for a year. She’s being dragged from the prison and given a choice to become the king’s champion for 4 years and then get her freedom. But first she has to win the competition against other criminals to win the price.

I’ve read lot of great reviews about this and I’m so glad it lived up to those!

I loved the fact that Celaena was an assassin and not some damsel in distress. What’s not to like in a girl who speaks her mind? The book starts after she was captured so we don’t see her killing people or anything like that. She manages to become friends with princess Nehemia and she’s lot more friendly and likeable with her.

And of course there is a love triangle. This is YA book after all. I have to say I’m all for Chaol, the Captain of the Guards. Dorian, the crown prince, didn’t do anything for me and I didn’t really believe in their romance. It felt awkward and they fell for it way too easily. But yeah, I’m rooting for Chaol. ( )
  Elysianfield | Nov 16, 2016 |

Sarah J. Maasprimary authorall editionscalculated
Evans, ElizabethNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Nothing is a coincidence. Everything has a purpose. You were meant to come to this castle, just as you were meant to be an assassin."
To all my readers from FictionPress - for being with me at the beginning and staying long after the end. Thank you for everything.
After a year of slavery in the Salt Mines of Endovier, Celaena Sardothien was accustomed to being escorted everywhere in shackles and at sword-point.

After she has served a year of hard labor in the salt mines of Endovier for her crimes, Crown Prince Dorian offers eighteen-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien her freedom on the condition that she act as his champion in a competition to find a new royal assassin.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,726,202 books! | Top bar: Always visible