Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Throne of Glass (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Sarah J. Maas

Member:usagijihen
Title:Throne of Glass
Authors:Sarah J. Maas
Info:Bloomsbury USA Childrens (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 416 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:arc, 2012, reviewed, best of 2012

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas (2012)

Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder (foggidawn)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (luna_lovegood)
    luna_lovegood: Exactly as kazhout said "strong, beautiful, intelligent, and sassy." Plus, badass and good heart.
    The Assassin and the Pirate Lord by Sarah J. Maas (Lpaddycake)
    Lpaddycake: This prequel to Throne of Glass explains more of Celaena's past and her love for Sam.
    The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson (becksdakex)
    Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard (bookishonabudget)

English (232)  German (1)  All (233)
"Your scars are awful" he said, almost whispering. She put a hand on her hip and walked to the dressing room door. "We all bear scars, Dorian.… Mine just happened to be more visible than most."

I feel very accomplished, and less like I'm missing out on a significant reading experience, to have finally read Throne of Glass, book one of the five book fantasy series, by epic storyteller, Sarah J. Maas. I was not disappointed.

In this book we are introduced to our heroine, 18-year-old, world renowned, female assassin, Celaena Sardothien. Fresh out of prison, more specifically, the salt mines of Endovier, A notorious DEF can't wear few survive more than a couple months of hard labor and brutal conditions, and no one gets out alive. But Celaena is retrieved from Endovier by Prince Dorian Havilliard personally and he propositions the young assassin with the opportunity to be his champion in a competition to determine who the best of the baddest is, the winner of which will be named the kings assassin. Furthermore, if Celaena when's this is steamed title, after four years of service to the king (who she utterly despise is for conquering her country and enslaving her people), she will be granted not only a clean slate and a fresh start but also her freedom, a liberty and luxury that the good hearted assassin has never experienced. Despite her profession, we learn that Celaena is morally sound, loyal and just, although a bit misguided, who has fallen victim to her circumstances yet managed to hold onto her integrity and spirit and has merely done what has been necessary for her survival and nothing more.

Now, Celaena finds herself an unlikely guest at the Kings Castle as more than one prestigious mail admirer tries to win her affection and attention while jealous onlookers will stop at nothing to see the assassin gone for good. However, Celaena's attention tries to remain focused on the multitude of tests she must compete in before the ultimate battle for the title of kings assassin. With so much at stake and everything to lose Celaena tries not to be distracted when her competitors keep turning up dead, brutally mutilated by someone or something that can only be defined as pure evil yet elusive and at large.

Celaena finds herself fighting for more than just her freedom while the scars from her hunting past won't allow her to forget where she came from and what she's at risk of returning to, all the while making unexpected connections and friendships, despite herself, only to learn that both allies and enemies aren't always as they appear.

I enjoyed reading this book tremendously. Celaena is a bad-ass bitch! An entertaining protagonist, likable, albeit flawed, and overall an absolute pleasure to read about. It was impossible not to become invested in her. It was obvious that this was only the beginning of Celaena's story and Maas set the stage for an intriguing, addictive saga. The romantic-triangle subplot was also nicely laid out, without overpowering the storyline but suggesting more will be revealed as the series progresses.

I'm giving Throne of Glass 4 out of 5 stars and for readers who enjoy YA fantasy with a strong, kick-ass, female protagonist, this is a must-read series. ( )
  JordanAshleyPerkins | Jan 14, 2017 |
This book was the best book that i have read during the winter. It keeps you guessing. It has surprises around every corner and was thrilling!It's very great for people who like magic, mystery, and assassins. I give this book 5 stars, Read this book! ( )
  Ajohnson.B4 | Jan 3, 2017 |
This is such a hyped up series, I was expecting magic! But, this fell short for me.

I flew through the beginning with ease. I was so excited to see what all the excitement was about with this. I really thought I was going to enjoy the plot. When I got about 40% in, I just got bored. I thought once the championship events started it would pick back up but it didn't for me. I just could not get into this like everyone else.

I did finish it (skipped a lot). I have heard book 2 is much better so I may try to continue on but not sure if I will go further than that. ( )
  SimplyKelina | Dec 30, 2016 |
This has the potential to be a great book, but the main character sounds like an adolescent airhead, possibly because she is. Will continue the series though. ( )
  blerd89 | Dec 4, 2016 |
Before I begin explaining this book, I need to explain something. I read a lot. When I mean a lot, I don’t mean that I read a book a week, I mean that today, since I woke up I have finished one book, and started and completed two more. It is highly likely that I will start a third before I go to sleep tonight. All of this means that my favorite book changes quite often. I loved Harry Potter for a while, then moved on to Megan Turner’s The Thief, then to Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein. That makes it all the more significant when I say that the Throne of Glass series has been my favorite since I started it almost four years ago. There have been some books that caught my interest and moved up on my list of loves, but I always came back to Sarah Maas, because she is just that good.

The series starts out by introducing the heroine, Celaena Sardothien, who has just spent a year in a slave camp where the average life expectancy is only a month. She was put there because she was Adarlan’s assassin – the best in the land, never caught, and never seen. Until her trial, almost no one even knew that she was a 17 year old girl. She has always been the best, the prettiest, and she knows it. Even worse, she makes sure everyone else knows it too.

I love Celaena.

Throughout this book, she isn’t just an assassin who has killed too many people to count. She isn’t just the girl who became a woman in the depths of Hell. She is a woman who is scarred and a little broken, but loves pretty things, and sweets, and music. She is a woman who is scared sometimes, who loves and gets mad and is happy. She is a person, not just an assassin, and that is what I love about Sarah Maas’s work.

Too many book these days are all about the situations the main character is in. I cannot count the number of times I have read a dystopian novel in which we get to watch the heroine come to age because of the circumstances that force her to grow up. In this world we get to see a woman who already knows that the world is bad, who has already grown up inside of it, and watched her love and her innocence die, but still has the will to truly live. ( )
  ReadsAny | Dec 3, 2016 |

Sarah J. Maasprimary authorall editionscalculated
Evans, ElizabethNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Nothing is a coincidence. Everything has a purpose. You were meant to come to this castle, just as you were meant to be an assassin."
To all my readers from FictionPress - for being with me at the beginning and staying long after the end. Thank you for everything.
After a year of slavery in the Salt Mines of Endovier, Celaena Sardothien was accustomed to being escorted everywhere in shackles and at sword-point.

After she has served a year of hard labor in the salt mines of Endovier for her crimes, Crown Prince Dorian offers eighteen-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien her freedom on the condition that she act as his champion in a competition to find a new royal assassin.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,815,320 books! | Top bar: Always visible