Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Throne of Glass (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Sarah J. Maas

1,1961416,704 (3.99)42
Member:usagijihen
Title:Throne of Glass
Authors:Sarah J. Maas
Info:Bloomsbury USA Childrens (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 416 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:arc, 2012, reviewed, best of 2012

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas (2012)

Graceling by Kristin Cashore (luna_lovegood)
    luna_lovegood: Exactly as kazhout said "strong, beautiful, intelligent, and sassy." Plus, badass and good heart.
    Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder (foggidawn)
    The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson (becksdakex)
    The Assassin and the Pirate Lord by Sarah J. Maas (Lpaddycake)
    Lpaddycake: This prequel to Throne of Glass explains more of Celaena's past and her love for Sam.

English (139)  German (1)  All languages (140)
Kick ass heroine! Loved it. Great story, there are no lulls, it moves along and keeps you turning pages. A love triangle, maybe...its all here tension, deception, love, friendship, and battles. What more could a reader ask for. On to book 2! ( )
  ladtysreflect | May 11, 2015 |
Young Reader Reaction: This book was everything I was looking for: adventure, fantasy, romance, plot twists, and more! It has been a long time since I have felt this way about a series. Celaena is a very enjoyable character to follow. Contrary to many female characters in young adult literature, Celaena proves herself to be dynamic by being both deadly and “girly.” Her love of fashion and material things, while also knowing how to handle herself in combat, was very quaint and a breath of fresh air. I also highly enjoyed the love interests. The romance was there without being the central focus of the book, which impressed me! The only thing I wish were different about this book is that the reader doesn’t get to see as much of Celaena’s skills as I would have liked. Other than this, Throne of Glass was a thrill to read from beginning to end! This book would be a great gift to anybody interested in fantasy, plot twists, and lovable characters!

Read our full review and add yours at The Reading Tub®.
  TheReadingTub | May 3, 2015 |

Finally I have come across a High Fantasy book that I don't mindlessly hate! Throne of Glass was pretty spectacular. I mean, who doesn't love assassins,ball gowns, and all or nothing competitions?

Celaena is a hit or miss character; you're either going to love her, or your going to find her unbearable. Personally, I loved her. Although I do see why some people aren't fans; She is arrogant and sometimes feels like her bark is much bigger than her bite. But on the other hand, she is entertaining and thoughtful.

Throne of Glass has one of the only love triangles I find bearable. Dorian and Chaol are perfect in completely different ways. Both are thoughtful and awkward at times, but thats where the similarities end. I'm going to leave it at that to keep the review spoiler free. But I will say that Chaol has my vote.

Maas did a fantastic job of drawing up a beautiful landscape for this novel. The world was vast and I really hope we see a lot more of it in the future.

Can we bring it back to the boys in a second? Kay, I'm usually not a fan of love triangles, but with Dorian and Chaol, all previous dislike when out the window. Both guys did cute little things that felt realistic. I never once scoffed at an act or reaction thinking "Haha if only guys did that in real life." So props to Maas in creating a likable love triangle. Another thing she did brilliantly was not locking in on one of the guys. At the end of the book its still fair game for both of them. Seem too good to be true? Yeah, I had that feeling too. So the downside to all of this is that sometimes the action takes a back seat to the lovey-dovey stuff. For instance, instead of describing a test or training, we get some flirty scene between Celaena and Dorian/Chaol. Thats when I started to remember why I don't like love triangles; they take away from everything else. We miss out on some serious kick butt scenes because Dorian can't keep it in his pants. Oh, and if I see "swagger" one more time, I will probably spontaneously combust. No joke. It's probably in the book 100 times. The more you read it, the worse it gets.

All in all I loved this book. Celaena is great, even if she takes some getting used to. Chaol and Dorian are just about edible, and the plot is entertaining and hearty. The character building is amazing in thins book; not one character was one dimentional or boring. The world was vivid and appealing. It is just an overall great book that everyone should pick up soon!

AlllyCat | Apr 28, 2015 |
"Nothing is a coincidence. Everything has a purpose. You were meant to come to this castle, just as you were meant to be an assassin."
To all my readers from FictionPress - for being with me at the beginning and staying long after the end. Thank you for everything.
After a year of slavery in the Salt Mines of Endovier, Celaena Sardothien was accustomed to being escorted everywhere in shackles and at sword-point.

After she has served a year of hard labor in the salt mines of Endovier for her crimes, Crown Prince Dorian offers eighteen-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien her freedom on the condition that she act as his champion in a competition to find a new royal assassin.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,174,495 books! | Top bar: Always visible