Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Throne of Glass (edition 2012)

by Sarah J. Maas

Member:usagijihen
Title:Throne of Glass
Authors:Sarah J. Maas
Info:Bloomsbury USA Childrens (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 416 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:arc, 2012, reviewed, best of 2012

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder (foggidawn)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (luna_lovegood)
    luna_lovegood: Exactly as kazhout said "strong, beautiful, intelligent, and sassy." Plus, badass and good heart.
    The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson (becksdakex)
    The Assassin and the Pirate Lord by Sarah J. Maas (Lpaddycake)
    Lpaddycake: This prequel to Throne of Glass explains more of Celaena's past and her love for Sam.

English (119)  German (1)  All languages (120)
This is clearly YA, and readers should keep it in mind before picking this up. Also, it's partial to the romance side of things (not to mention, everyone looks beautiful and always "awfully young". No self-respecting character here deigns to be above the better side of twenty, unless absolutely necessary - and still having aged wel....).
This said, I enjoyed it even if I'm not of an age with Caelena and the rest. The pace is enjoyable, the characters nice, the dialogue funny and witty, the situations improbable and juicy. The tropes, well, don't we all love them? Nice read, supported by the novellas read before the Throne of Glass. I highly recommend the chronological order and reading all the novellas together, since the last two are more compelling. Enjoy this series, it's wonderful YA, very appealing to (my) girl sensibilities. ( )
  Alissa- | Nov 27, 2014 |
This will undoubtedly turn up somewhere in my top 10 books of 2013. Holy crap, this was awesome. I read it in one day with barely any breaks, except the period in which the sun came up and my body decided to tell me it was tired.

Celaena was such a well-rounded character! I loved that she could not only kick ass, but love the finer things in life like beautiful dresses, food and the like was just so unbelievably amazing. I've never encountered any female protagonist like her.

Also, in the book, it is not only mentioned that she gets her period, but it's shown. After she escapes emaciation and becomes healthy, she gets her period back. I thought that was a pretty great addition to the book for however many pages it was mentioned in (I think maybe like five).

My one gripe is that she shows more interest in Dorian than Chaol. Chaol was such a good match for her. They're both snarky as fuck, kicks some ass, and like to tease each other. Dorian? "Oh, Celaena looks pretty!" and that's it. That's pretty much it for them.

The mystery in the book was well written. I fucking loved every moment in this book. I'm barely coherent. GAH.

I have Crown of Midnight on my shelf right now but I'm hesitant to read it because I'll finish it too quick and then I have a long wait until the next book. I WENT THROUGH THIS WITH SHERLOCK, OKAY? I WATCHED SEASON 1 AND 2 TOO QUICKLY AND NOW I'M JUST AN INCOHERENT MESS WAITING FOR THE 3RD. I've learned my lesson the hard way. ( )
  Tarklovishki | Oct 31, 2014 |
The Throne of Glass series is one I've had in my to read pile for what seems like an age, and I’m so glad I finally chose this one, it’s a marvelous read full of mystery and excitement!

Synopsis:

Throne of Glass focuses on a young woman named Celaena Sardothien. She has been imprisoned for her crimes against the crown – she is the youngest and most deadly assassin the land has ever seen. But after getting caught and given a life sentence to work in a salt mine, she is given the chance at redemption. Participate in a contest to become the King’s Champion, and her freedom will be granted, but then she must work for the king she despises. Celaena must fight to win the competition and her freedom.

Review:

This book seems very much to have divided opinion, it has hundreds of fans, but many people have said the book just wasn't for them. I for one enjoyed it, particularly because it is so easy to fall into, I definitely stayed up longer than I should have done reading it, and it’s the sort of story you continue to think about long after you've put it down. Immediately I was hooked! There’s plenty of mystery and intrigue, especially towards the second half of the story in which the various contenders begin to mysteriously die. There’s plenty of sword fighting, magic and romance to appeal to every kind of reader. The story flows well and it’s a very easy read it. The characters are written very well, although I will admit that the arrogance of the protagonist did get a little grating. One of the things I particularly enjoyed is the clever ways in which Maas demonstrates Celaena’s skills. Practically anything can be a weapon and there are some really great scenes where even a hairpin gets her out of trouble.

A large chunk of the story also focuses on the love triangle between Celaena, Dorian and Captain Westfall. If you aren't a fan of this sort of story arc, then perhaps I’d stay clear of this one. Although a large part of the 400 odd page story is focused on the love triangle, it doesn't take away from the story, and I for one wasn't as bothered by it as I have been with previous young adult series.

I recently also read a novelette set previously to this story – The Assassin and the Pirate Lord, it’s a pretty quick read but it’s really interesting if you’re enjoying the series so far. The story is set before Celaena gets caught and is sent to broker a deal with an infamous pirate lord. It highlights that while Celaena is deadly, she has a very strong moral compass and she stands up for others. Overall Throne of Glass is a really enjoyable read and I would love to see more scenes in which Celaena actually assassinates people, the story being focused on the contest leaves little room for that, but with a second book already out and a third coming September 2nd I’m sure there’s plenty more of that on the cards, a highly addictive young adult read. ( )
  ColeReadsBooks | Oct 2, 2014 |
Loved this book!! It's got it all. A kick ass woman, good plot, romance, adventure, intrigue. How could you resist being dressed in the finest gowns and pampered after being a slave in a salt mine? :-) ( )
  bookwoman137 | Sep 25, 2014 |
So close to five stars. So close.

I loved this book, I really did. Magic-kinda, puppies, kickass assassins, pretty dresses, awesome heroine - I should be happy! I would've enjoyed it more if the book wasn't so punch-you-in-the-face obvious with the love interests, because everything else was delightfully unpredictable. I would've preferred no love interests, honestly, and shame on me for not checking to see how blatantly YA romancey it was beforehand. Everything else, though, was worth it. A little fantasy, a little murder mystery, ghosts (?), a lot of stabby-stabby, some pretty dresses and nefarious plotting - it's got a little something for everyone.

That said, this series has me absolutely hooked, and that's something that hasn't happened to me since I read The Hunger Games. Sure, I plowed through Divergent in two days (loved it!), The Selection in a week (not for me), Delirium in two days (rad!), but Throne of Glass has been sitting heavily in my chest for the past few nights. It has the weight of a good story, writing that isn't condescendingly simple nor is it pretentious, and I feel like I actually won't be able to predict what's going to happen next.

The ending felt rushed, a bit slapdash, but it was satisfyingly not tied in a neat bow or ended on a deliberate, ridiculous cliffhanger.

I could stop right now if I wanted to and there would be a whole little story arc complete.

So obviously, Crown of Midnight is getting snatched up at my local library today. I don't know who I'm kidding - I won't be able to stop until I've devoured every piece of this series. ( )
  strongasanoak | Sep 25, 2014 |
To all my readers from FictionPress - for being with me at the beginning and staying long after the end. Thank you for everything.
After a year of slavery in the Salt Mines of Endovier, Celaena Sardothien was accustomed to being escorted everywhere in shackles and at sword-point.

After she has served a year of hard labor in the salt mines of Endovier for her crimes, Crown Prince Dorian offers eighteen-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien her freedom on the condition that she act as his champion in a competition to find a new royal assassin.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,380,988 books! | Top bar: Always visible