Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Throne of Glass (edition 2012)

by Sarah J. Maas

Member:usagijihen
Title:Throne of Glass
Authors:Sarah J. Maas
Info:Bloomsbury USA Childrens (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 416 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:arc, 2012, reviewed, best of 2012

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Graceling by Kristin Cashore (luna_lovegood)
    luna_lovegood: Exactly as kazhout said "strong, beautiful, intelligent, and sassy." Plus, badass and good heart.
    Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder (foggidawn)
    The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson (becksdakex)
    The Assassin and the Pirate Lord by Sarah J. Maas (Lpaddycake)
    Lpaddycake: This prequel to Throne of Glass explains more of Celaena's past and her love for Sam.

English (133)  German (1)  All languages (134)
Celaena Sardothien, infamous 18 year old assassin of Adarlan, has been sentenced to a slow death in the salt mines of Endovier...that is until the crown Prince of Adarlan shows up and offers her a deal. If she agrees to compete in a contest to become the King's Champion (AKA assassin) she will earn her freedom after four years of service to the King. Celaena agrees, but finds her life, not just her freedom, may be in danger when contestants are found violently murdered.

As the competition goes on, Celaena grows closer to her sponsor, the young crown Prince Dorian as well as the serious Captain of the Guard, Chaol. The tyrannical king has banned all magic from the land, but Celaena suspects it may be behind the killings and begins to investigate before she becomes a victim herself.

Love this book! Celaena is smart, sarcastic, and deadly. On the outside, she's a trained assassin, but on the inside, she is a book reading, fashion loving, caring person. There's the start of a love triangle between Celaena/Chaol/Dorian, but it is still all about Celaena. I do like Celaena and Chaol though! Looking forward to reading the rest of the series!

Recommended if you liked Graceling by Kristin Cashore or His Fair Assassin series by Robin LaFevers. ( )
  purplethings | Mar 23, 2015 |
I picked this one up as an ebook from the library. I had seen so many raving reviews that I needed to see what all of the hype was about. I was not disappointed.

Often when a book is met with such profound adoration, I find myself feeling like I have been let down, because I cannot see what all of the rave and rapture is about. But in the case of Throne of Glass, I found a riveting story that kept me glued to the page long after I should have moved on to other activities that were more pressing.

It is the mark of a great story that has me neglecting other things that need to be done in order to find out what is next for the hero or heroine. And this was the case when it came to Celaena.

To be a young girl imprisoned for how you had made a living, and to have survived the unsurvivable, I felt myself so drawn into the character of Celaena that I had a hard time separating myself from the story when I set my reader down for the night. Dorian, the ever-present playboy that seems to be a requisite in young adult fiction these days, reminds me of so many teenage boys that I have encountered in my lifetime. Nehemia, the best friend with a secret, but with a heart of gold. Then, of course, there is Chaol, the stoic guard who I get the feeling has a much bigger story to tell some day.

I find myself having difficulty returning to work now without immediately beginning on the sequel. Throne of Glass is well written with characters that are both easy to relate to and riveting enough to keep you guessing. It is well written, well edited and exciting. I cannot wait to see what more is in store for me! ( )
  destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |

destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |
This fantasy series revolves around Celaena Sardothien, a trained assassin who has been exiled to the salt mines where prisoners usually leave only by dying. But Celaena is offered a way out, even if it is a longshot. The King is looking for a Royal Assassin and has summoned a host of potential candidates. The candidates will compete with each other in various assassin type activities, eliminating one candidate each competition. Think of it like The Biggest Loser, but instead of losing the most weight, they have to do things like throw knives, climb walls and wrestle. But someone is killing the assassins and the corpses aren’t just being simply murdered, they are eviscerated and devoured – almost as if the killer is a wild beast. Not only does Celaena have to survive the challenges, but she also has to not become prey to whatever is killing the candidates.

I liked the premise for this story, even though it sounds a little like a Hunger Games type of survival story, but in a fantasy environment. But, the writing was inconsistent. There is a constant use of the word Assassin whenever describing Celaena, and it definitely felt old after awhile. Also, Celaena didn’t seem believable. She has just left the salt mines where she has been starved for over a year and with minimal tune up, she is again ready to fight against men who are much bigger and stronger. There’s a lot of promise in this series, but for me, it didn’t quite hit the mark. ( )
  jmoncton | Feb 28, 2015 |
I absolutely loved Throne of Glass! I fell in love with the characters and the story itself. It was like a mixture of The Selection, The Hunger Games, and Game of Thrones, except much better. Beautiful. ( )
1 vote lynnguini | Feb 25, 2015 |
"Nothing is a coincidence. Everything has a purpose. You were meant to come to this castle, just as you were meant to be an assassin."
To all my readers from FictionPress - for being with me at the beginning and staying long after the end. Thank you for everything.
After a year of slavery in the Salt Mines of Endovier, Celaena Sardothien was accustomed to being escorted everywhere in shackles and at sword-point.

After she has served a year of hard labor in the salt mines of Endovier for her crimes, Crown Prince Dorian offers eighteen-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien her freedom on the condition that she act as his champion in a competition to find a new royal assassin.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,233,500 books! | Top bar: Always visible