Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Throne of Glass (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Sarah J. Maas

Member:usagijihen
Title:Throne of Glass
Authors:Sarah J. Maas
Info:Bloomsbury USA Childrens (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 416 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:arc, 2012, reviewed, best of 2012

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas (2012)

Graceling by Kristin Cashore (luna_lovegood)
    luna_lovegood: Exactly as kazhout said "strong, beautiful, intelligent, and sassy." Plus, badass and good heart.
    Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder (foggidawn)
    The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson (becksdakex)
    The Assassin and the Pirate Lord by Sarah J. Maas (Lpaddycake)
    Lpaddycake: This prequel to Throne of Glass explains more of Celaena's past and her love for Sam.

English (210)  German (1)  All languages (211)
"Throne of Glass" was a treat and delight to read. This fantasy has it all, snarky heroines, winsome princes and devilish fiends. It plays like a grungy steam punk novel at times, while others is filled with everything that's delightful about modern fantasy. Can't wait to devour the next installment. ( )
  JSilverwood | Aug 27, 2016 |
Been a fan of fantasy for since, I was interested in reading. Never knew that I will fell deeply in love with another fantasy series that hasn’t even finished yet! Throne of Glass was introduced by my friends to read and I’d give it a try. I don’t know what I was reading until I digest everything in return, I read all of Sarah J. Maas and crave for more. What I felt on the first book was pure starvation of the continuation, what I felt in the second installment was pure awe and excitement, what I felt in the third book was pure character development and world building and here comes the fourth book that devastate everything what I was known on the first three books. It is amazing! I never expect Sarah J Maas to be that good, better even. It was difficult to write and build a development in each and every character you are going to introduce much more the world building. I’m in awe and for that, I’ll give my bow to the Queen of Fantasy, All hail, Queen Maas!

“Libraries were full of ideas–perhaps the most dangerous and powerful of all weapons.” ( )
  Rafael_Ray | Aug 27, 2016 |
This book is amazing. It has to be one of the best books I have ever read. I’m a freaking blubbering mess right now

Characters:
Calaena- She was a smart-mouthed assassin. She was really full of herself, but despite that I love her. At some points, she had me rolling my eyes. She was all talk and no action until she suddenly proved that she really was worthy of her notorious reputation. I found her kind of naive at some parts. For example, when she wakes up and finds a bag of candy on her bed. She literally eats them all despite not knowing who put them there. I don’t know, maybe she really trusts her instincts and I’m judging her too harshly. Overall, I loved her. This is gonna be a long ride and I know we are going to see grow as a character.
Dorian-Honestly, I don’t know how to feel about him. He had his moments were he said something beautifully romantic and all. Yet, I didn’t buy him as her love interest. I love him as a character, and I ship a BFF sort of friendship between. I kept finding myself rooting for Chaol. I don’t even know how I feel out him either, but I liked him. His quiet intense personality felt more real than Dorians easy flirtatious attitude. I really have no idea where the author is going to go with the love triangle, but I really hope Chaol gets his chance to prove he is worthy!

Plot:

I have to admit that I expected more action, but the pace wasn’t unpleasant. Sarah J. Maas would drop twist and turns that would keep me on the edge of my bed. At first, I didn’t see the whole magic aspect as being a big part of the story, but it fit in really nice. It turns out to be more important than I anticipated. The final ‘fight’ or climax was awesome. It raised so many more questions, but it was a satisfying end for a first book in a series. The ending is not a cliffhanger but despite that I’m eager to read the sequel (like right now)!

The book wasn’t perfect but it was amazing. I’d give it a four, but this book contains that magical thingy that brings out my inner compulsive reader. I’m so glad I finally picked this book up. I think this series is going to make it to the shelf of fame! Have you read this book? How did you feel about Dorian and Chaol? ( )
  Kamilah.h | Aug 20, 2016 |
Overall, a pretty solid read. The writing gets weak at times, and the love triangle is just as insufferable as any other YA love triangle, but the story was highly entertaining and I'm intrigued to know more about the characters and the world. ( )
  BrookeAshley | Aug 9, 2016 |
It took me awhile to get into this book, maybe 100 pages or so. But once I got into it, I was hooked. I loved the main character, Celaena, a total bad-ass assassin they call Queen of the Underworld. Not only is she the best assassin but she also loves to read, play the piano, and fancy dresses. She had a rough life before she became an assassin, then someone betrayed her and she wound up in one of the worst places on earth. Even after all of that, she still manages to have a light side to her, not lost to total darkness. The two main men in her life, Chaol and Dorian, are great each in their own way. The world that Maas created, along with the characters, was incredible. There were so many interesting things going on! The Champion contest, the Eyllwe princess, the Wyrdmarks and murders, the King's mysterious journey. I really can't wait to read what comes next for these characters in the sequel, Crown of Midnight! ( )
  pennma05 | Jul 21, 2016 |

Sarah J. Maasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Evans, ElizabethNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Nothing is a coincidence. Everything has a purpose. You were meant to come to this castle, just as you were meant to be an assassin."
To all my readers from FictionPress - for being with me at the beginning and staying long after the end. Thank you for everything.
After a year of slavery in the Salt Mines of Endovier, Celaena Sardothien was accustomed to being escorted everywhere in shackles and at sword-point.

After she has served a year of hard labor in the salt mines of Endovier for her crimes, Crown Prince Dorian offers eighteen-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien her freedom on the condition that she act as his champion in a competition to find a new royal assassin.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,424,783 books! | Top bar: Always visible