A friend of the Family by Lisa Jewell

A friend of the Family (2003)

by Lisa Jewell

In this book, three brothers are the main characters. The youngest has returned home from Australia, the middle has just had his first book published with great success but he's battling to write a second and has unexpected news from his girlfriend, while the eldest brother is quietly frustrated with his own life. A new lodger in their parent's house has the ability to sense their inner conflicts. He's eccentric and humble and encourages them to face their issues.

This was a leisurely read. The author has done well with depicting three male perspectives. There are a few chapters towards the end that are the most dramatic. On the whole, the dialogue is shiny and fun. The ladies in the book and the lodger do add colour. It is a sweet book, mixed with some sharp observations and might appeal to both genders, similar in the way Mike Gayle's books do.
  StoryB | Nov 6, 2010 |
A book about the lives of the London family and a mysterious 'friend of the family' who comes to stay with them, thereby revealing psychic powers. I think the 'friend of the family' is really a metaphor for the family finding their own path in life, and the book is a tightly-paced read as we go through each of the London boy's minds until they discover what they really want. I had high hopes for this book but I found it ended on a sick-makingly cute and Mary Poppins-type note. Didn't really explore any issues in depth (such as men who don't want children; workaholics who wonder where their life is going etc) and all in all I found it depressing. But maybe I was expecting too much from a book which is designed to be a light, chick-lit romance. ( )
  pinkyslippers | Jun 29, 2009 |
very funny, light read ( )
  thereader | Sep 1, 2006 |
'Boys do not grow up gradually. They move forward in spurts like the hands of clocks in railway stations.' Cyril Connolly, Enemies of Promise, 1938
For my sisters, Sacha and Tanya - the greatest gifts my parents ever gave me.
Bernie slid the microphone on to its stand and took a bow, smiling as a small crowd in the Beulah Tavern whistled and cheered.

Brothers Tony, Sean, and Ned had the perfect upbringing, but now that they are grown up, real life is starting to get in the way. Tony’s dealing with divorce and a weight problem.  Novelist Sean is up against a serious case of writer’s block and a shock announcement from his “perfect” new girlfriend. Their parents have a new lodger, Gervase—why is Bernie, their mother, so keen to give this unsavory waif a home?  And what is the real reason for kid brother Ned’s surprise return from his travels in Australia?

A Friend of the Family is a hilarious, dead-on-target story from the bestselling author of Thirtynothing and Ralph’s Party.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:45 -0400)

Brothers Tony, Sean and Ned had the perfect upbringing. They adore their parents and actually look forward to coming home for Sunday lunch. But now they're grown up, real life is starting to get in the way.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,495,238 books! | Top bar: Always visible