Inescapable: The Premonition Series by Mrs.…

Inescapable: The Premonition Series (edition 2011)

by Mrs. Amy A Bartol

Member:ConciseReviews
Title:Inescapable: The Premonition Series
Authors:Mrs. Amy A Bartol
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2011), Paperback, 392 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****
Tags:angels, fallen angels, paranormal romance, premonition series

Inescapable: The Premonition Series by Amy A. Bartol

It is very, very rare that I give up reading a book. Even more rare to actually write out a review that I know will be bad, but I was fooled by all of the high reviews, and even more baffled at them.

Three things made this story impossible for me. The first would be the flow. It was awful. Hi, nice to meet you, lets hold hands, now we are a couple, all within a few hours of meeting each other? I felt the relationship evolution was based on elementary children's idea of relationships. It was mind boggling. The entire flow was choppy. Too fast and then dragging forever and then way too fast again. Secondly, the dialogue was absolutely horrifying. If the author is indeed a college student, I really hope she is taking some extra literature classes. I am from the south, now live in Georgia, and I have friends from Asheville, NC. No one that I know, even any of my very backwoods, redneck, old timey family, speaks as horribly as the character Russel. The author is unable to write in dialect and his dialogue was so bad that I had to either skip it or at most skim it. I almost stopped reading earlier because of how annoying and frustrating it was to read his dailogue. On top of his every word, and another character saying "sweetie" five hundred times, she uses every slang word she can think of since the 90s and forces it into conversation. Even worse, she writes in slang and text talk! A high schooler could tolerate this, maybe. I almost screamed aloud. What is not spelled wut and people do not use words in reference to themselves or others like "playa" and "pimpin" one minute and then "stylin" and whatever else another. It really is every high school English teacher's nightmare student. Thirdly, and least annoyingly (as it was somewhat, and begrudgingly expected) the ridiculous love triangle. It was unnecessary, childish, and more annoying than productive. In all, I am mad I even spent $2 on this. I could have fared better helping pay this girl's tuition. ( )
  Rainn | Jan 28, 2014 |
I never know what to expect when I decide to read a book. I know that I always hope that I will be able to get through it. And oh did get through Inescapable. It was one of those books that surprised me how much I liked it. Wasn't sure at first if I would enjoy it but not too far in did the book had me laughing, it was surprisingly funny. I think that was one of the aspects that made this such an intriguing story, interesting characters with personality. I also liked the angel concept, I'm beginning to really like the angel genre, haven't read much in that area and have been lucky to have liked the few I did read.

On Genevieve Claremont's first day at Crestwood College she realizes that her college experience is not going to be a normal one after a run-in with Reed Wellington. Reed warns her to leave campus now and go somewhere else but she is confused why he wants her to leave and why does she feels so drawn to him. Every time she gets near him she feels butterflies in her stomach. I liked Evie, she was smart and think quick on her feet. Even though Reed was a big bully, and completely had her scared she didn't let him intimidate her. She wanted answers for why he wants her to leave so badly and what about his strange abilities. Evie seemed to go with the flow of things, she was open to what might be happening to her or who or what Reed might be. Even though she didn't take the dangers to her life seriously at first.

Oh I thought Reed was a jerk but I just knew he would come around once he realized how clueless Evie about who she is. And Evie is also a very convincing talker. She clearly had all the guys in her life wrapped around her finger. It was shocking and sweet to see stoic Reed become putty in her hands.

I would really love it if I could just hear Russel's twang out loud in real life. Russel had me right away, he was the ultimate gentleman, real southern charm and all. He and Evie seem to bond immediately, which I later found out there was a reason for that.

As for Alfred, or Freddie, as Evie nicknamed him, I pictured him through her eyes as a shy, geeky, excited kid. That was the impression I got about him at first. As their friendship grew, Evie saw him as her twin brother because they are so similar in their ideas. Later on Freddie starts to come through as kinda of a cool laid back guy, and perhaps a looker and no geek whatsoever. I should have took more notice how Evie saw him cause I would have probably seen that coming. And that is the secrets to Freddie's true personality. He was a shocker, really didn't see that coming.

I like the female power and support in this story, Evie was very lucky in the friend department. Her girlfriends, Buns, and Brownie were so cool and supportive, and maybe a little too peppy. Don't ask me their real names, I would have to go back through the book to find that. Nicknames were very popular in this story.

At first I though the writing felt geared toward a younger reader but as the book progressed the dialogue for the characters seemed age appropriate for them. I wasn't expecting to have some many laugh out loud moments, the dialogue was quick witted and amusing. Amy A. Bartol wrote a very intriguing story with real characters that jumps off the page. Really great storytelling. ( )
  chicreader | Jan 21, 2014 |

chicreader | Jan 21, 2014 |
One of the best books I've read this year. I loved the storyline, the characters, and the love triangle. I also loved that even though this is the first book in a series, there is not a huge cliffhanger. I would recommend this book to all readers. ( )
  TNT-Reviews | Sep 24, 2013 |
I'm so glad I'm done with this. I've been reading it on and off for almost twenty days, and it's come to the point where I just wanted to be done with it so it doesn't hang over me.

I'm giving the book two stars because there was a saving element to it, I'll talk about that later.

There were many things I liked about this book. I liked Russell, when he wasn't speaking.
There are authors that can pull off dialects and accents in dialogue. This one, not so much. It was just plain annoying to read his lines. You know it's bad when you have to stop and translate what the character is trying to say even if he's talking in plain English.
Other than that, Russell might be my favorite character in this book (actually, the only one I liked).

I liked it when Evie and Reed "broke up". Yes, that brought me immense joy because they were so cheesy with their you're-my-air-I-haven't-lived-before-I-met-you-I-will-die-without-you-et-cetera-et-cetera.

I loved the story, and the mythology. I think, had the main characters been different (and when I say different, I mean, not-Evie-and-Reed), I would have loved this book.

Unfortunately, they were carbon copies of every naive heroine and controlling hero out there. She is constantly belittling herself, saying she's not worthy, so she lets him get away with saying things like:
"...Now explain what happened before I lose my temper.”
I'm sorry, Reed, was that... a threat? This happens in chapter 9 (Foreign Language), and it was a turning point in cementing my dislike towards these two characters. See, Evie annoyed me all throughout the book, but this is where she loses my respect. Reed was mysterious and yes, annoying with his glaring and rudeness (so cliche), but this is where I think he's not really a knight in shining armor. I was this ( ) close to DNF-ing the book here. However, I didn't, for whatever reason I kept going.

And what did I get? Some more of the same thing - Evie apologizing, promising to follow the "rules", fearing Reed will be mad at her, asking him why doesn't he shout at her... He locks her up in his house, he keeps making comments like "...before I lose it."

What will happen, Reed, if you lose it, I thought to myself. (Sidenote: another thing I hated about this book, every other line is "Italics italics italics, I think to myself.")

I was explaining to a friend while reading this that I'm trying to put it in this supernatural/paranormal setting and understand, because you know, maybe things are different when the bordering-on-abusive boyfriend is an angel and he's not the biggest threat to your well-being, but nope, still wasn't okay to me.

The saving grace of the book is the ending. There was some good action in it, some fallen angels, a major twist I didn't expect, a couple of heart stopping moments - and *drumroll please* NO REED.

The writing was nothing special. I didn't care much about the characters - as you might have noticed, apart from Russell and sometimes Freddie. You are constantly relying on Reed to explain to you what's going on, which I hated because I hated having him in the scene. The dialogue is... okay, I guess. There's no chemistry between Reed and Evie, but there was great chemistry between Russell and... Reed! Weird as it may sound.

Evie is so indecisive about the boys it made me want to punch her, repeatedly. I love these stories where everything centers on heroine and how everything and everyone depends on her and how everyone wants her and how everything revolves around her. NOT.
And then, of course, the author tells you she's smart and stuff, but judging by her actions, she was just plain stupid and childish. Bringing herself in harm's way all the time, even if she knows what's out there. Acting childish when Reed reasons with her that she needs to be more careful about her safety. I was kind of hoping she dies, but there are three more books, so I didn't hold my breath for it to happen.

I could mention all the Twilight similarities, there are lines taken out of that book, but enough people have done that already.

Now, will I read the other books? At this moment, NO. The book ends in such a way that if you really cared you have to continue right away. Lucky for me. I hear there are Irish guys in the second book, and normally I would be stoked about this, but honestly, I'm dreading their probably exaggerated Irish accent in dialogue. They are also something else, and I hate it when authors bring new mythological creatures into a story, so there.
But most of all, I can't subject myself to Evie and Reed again. ( )
  AriBookzilla | Sep 21, 2013 |
For my mom, Gloria, the eternal optimist who never allows anything to remain in the past tense… especially her love
And also to Tom for everything
As I drive past the placid façade of Crestwood College’s stately clock tower, I realize that this is the building they refer to as Central Hall.

"My name is Evie Claremont and this was to be the making of me - my freshman year of college. I'd been hoping that once I'd arrived on Crestwood's campus, the nightmare that I've been having would go away. It hasn't. I may be an inexperienced seventeen-year-old, but I'm grounded ... sane. I look for rational explanations to even the strangest circumstances. Since meeting sophomore Reed Wellington, however, nothing makes any sense. Whenever he's near, I feel an attraction to him - a magnetic kind of force pulling me towards him. I know what you're thinking ... that sounds fairly awesome. Yeah, it would be ... if he liked me, but Reed acts as if I'm the worst thing that has ever happened to Crestwood ... or him. But get this, for some reason every time I turn around he's there, barging into my life. What is the secret that he's keeping from me? I'm hoping that it's anything but what I suspect: that he's not exactly normal ... and neither am I. So, maybe Crestwood won't be the making of me, but it could be the breaking of me. I've been left to wonder if the dark future my dream is foretelling is ... inescapable." -- Cover p. [4].… (more)

Amy A. Bartol is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

20 wanted1 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,467,266 books! | Top bar: Always visible