Wrath of Angels

Title:Wrath of Angels
Authors:
Info:Hodder Export, Paperback
Collections:Books 2013

The Wrath of Angels by John Connolly (2012)

I shouldn't even have this book!

Connolly's North American publisher is waiting until January 01st, 2013 to release it in my neck of the woods and seeing as how the world is supposed to end on December 22nd, there's a good chance I wouldn't have been able to ever read it. So, seeing as it was released as originally specified in the UK on August 30th, I took it upon myself to order it from the UK Amazon store.

A group from Charlie Parker's storied past returns in [b:The Wrath of Angels|13274077|The Wrath of Angels (Charlie Parker, #11)|John Connolly|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1341835369s/13274077.jpg|18478066]. An enemy who Parker believed to have stopped in the past is at the forefront of a mystery surrounding a fallen plane, a missing sack of money and a list of names. While the purpose of said list is not initially known, it eventually comes to light that those names contained within have already faced certain doom or are destined to confront it. As if that wasn't enough, Parker must deal with the resurfacing of a dangerous and ruthless man known as The Collector who will stop at nothing to bring those with tainted souls to his unique form of justice.

As I said, The Collector returns and often plays as big of a role in [b:The Wrath of Angels|13274077|The Wrath of Angels (Charlie Parker, #11)|John Connolly|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1341835369s/13274077.jpg|18478066] as Parker himself. This time around, The Collector has a lot to accomplish within a time frame that continues to restrict as the story moves forward. Nothing about the character struck me as overly exceptional the first time we meet him some time ago but Connolly really gives him an edge this time around, surprising me with a pretty cool development about halfway through.

Arguably the most entertaining characters in this Parker universe return with Louis and Angel once again providing a form of back-up for Charlie. Their back and forth dialogue is something I always enjoy and look forward to Connolly hopefully giving us a follow up to [b:The Reapers|2515832|The Reapers (Charlie Parker, #7)|John Connolly|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1327916457s/2515832.jpg|2425284], a book strongly focused on the two.

I found that the scenes in which Charlie interacts with his daughter one on one felt forced and awkward. Writing a child's dialogue isn't an easy task in my experience, [b:Room|7937843|Room|Emma Donoghue|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1344265419s/7937843.jpg|9585076] was probably the only book that I've read that nailed it and even then, it took a while to really get into that story. However, I will say that the idea of Parker, Louis and Angel eating in a restaurant with a child amused me greatly.

It's a pretty strong entry into the Parker series and proves that Connolly's signature character still has longevity within him. Eleven books and counting is pretty impressive when you think about what it takes to keep a lengthy series like this strong. I'll look forward to number twelve! ( )
  branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |
Doesn't get much better than this, if you're into thrillers with a heavy dose of the occult. ( )
  JHopkinsBooks | Sep 4, 2013 |
I have read everyone of John Connolly's books. Once again, this is a fantastic book that I gave five stars! It's a mystery/horror book with some supernatural twists that make it interesting! ( )
  navyjoe98 | Aug 17, 2013 |
In the depths of the Maine woods, the wreckage of an aeroplane is discovered. There are no bodies, and no such plane has ever been reported missing, but men both good and evil have been seeking it for a long, long time. What the wreckage conceals is more important than money: it is power. Hidden in the plane is a list of names, a record of those who have struck a deal with the Devil. Now a battle is about to commence between those who want the list to remain secret and those who believe that it represents a crucial weapon in the struggle against the forces of darkness.

The race to secure the prize draws in private detective Charlie Parker, a man who knows more than most about the nature of the terrible evil that seeks to impose itself on the world, and who fears that his own name may be on the list. It lures others too: a beautiful, scarred woman with a taste for killing; a silent child who remembers his own death; and the serial killer known as the Collector, who sees in the list new lambs for his slaughter.

But as the rival forces descend upon this northern state, the woods prepare to meet them, for the forest depths hide other secrets.

Someone has survived the crash.
Some thing has survived the crash.
And it is waiting . .
  jan.fleming | May 2, 2013 |
THE WRATH OF ANGELS
By John Connolly

It usually never takes me over two months to read a John Connolly/Charlie Parker thriller but now that there is a almost thirteen pound bundle of emotions most of them smiles creating joy in my life, finding the time to read has taken a back seat.
THE WRATH OF ANGELS is due in stores and online close to January 2013. It is always a privilege to acquire an advanced reading copy of a John Connolly novel and usually I have it finished in a total of three days…..
To say that the latest Charlie Parker thriller is Mr. Connolly’s best work of crime fiction to date is an understatement. Not only is Mr. Parker back but also the cast of personal favorites, career hit men Angel and Louis as his personal ‘bodyguards’ but also characters from earlier novels. It takes a true talent to write about hit men who happen to be gay and complete polar opposites, one fastidious, one casual and life partners into credible beings worth caring about.
The plot, a commuter plane crashed and missing for years. The crash site is in the dense, haunted thickets of the Maine woods. The woods rumored haunted by a little lost girl in need of someone to play with.
Aboard, the passengers are missing along with a great deal of cash and a list…along with evidence that someone has escaped? Who escaped and what was the list and why are people dying whose names were written on the list and why has this turn of events caused so many so much unhappiness and reason for killing?
Who is The Collector and what does he want with the list? And most important who is The God of the Wasps? “Know Me”
THE WRATH OF ANGELS is a superior thriller, dark, macabre and with just enough horror elements to compete in two different genres.
I believe it pays homage to one of John Connolly’s great stand alone horror thrillers BAD MEN. Nobody writes crime fiction so eloquently! ( )
  LelandGaunt | Nov 28, 2012 |
I prefer winter and fall, when you feel the bone structure of the landscape — the loneliness of it, the dead feeling of winter. Something waits beneath it, the whole story doesn't show.
 — Andrew Wyeth (1917-2009)
For Professor Ian Campbell Ross
At the time of his dying, at the day and the hour of it, Harlan Vetters summoned his son and his daughter to his bedside.

Racing against a serial killer in the depths of the Maine woods, private detective Charlie Parker searches for a secret list of names in the wreckage of a plane that has never been reported missing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,430,704 books! | Top bar: Always visible