A Respectable Trade by Philippa Gregory

A Respectable Trade (1992)

by Philippa Gregory

603None16,281 (3.51)18
Recently added byKVictoria, nrmay, Tara.Ross, private library, AEnders, vitabu, WaryLibrarian
(3) 18th century (12) 2007 (5) 2012 (3) Africa (6) book club (2) Bristol (5) British (4) ebook (2) England (26) English History (3) fiction (45) historical (19) historical fiction (77) history (11) library (2) marriage (3) mystery (2) novel (5) own (8) paperback (2) Philippa Gregory (3) read (9) read in 2007 (2) romance (16) slave trade (13) slavery (32) to-read (24) trade (2) unread (4)

I can accept the romance, I can even almost accept the difficult character of the Frances. But that in such a short time Mehuru could learn to speak nearly perfect English, and teach himself to read, and that while talking his mother tongue frequently, I do not believe.

On the other hand, once making the decision to suspend belief it is a good read. ( )
  MarthaJeanne | Jun 6, 2013 |
I can't believe I read this back in 2008. This is another book I can't stop thinking about.

I love Philippa Gregory's Tudor series and have read every single one (except for The Other Queen which I will read soon). I went into this book with high expectations, and I wasn't let down. It's not as good as her Tudor series, but it's still amazing. ( )
  mesmericrevelation | Aug 21, 2010 |
A Respectable Trade by Philippa Gregory (2007)
  michelestjohn | Mar 26, 2010 |
I agree that the "romance" really ruined this book. It was unbelievable and trite. ( )
  amandacb | Mar 17, 2010 |
Words can't describe how annoying this book was (although I'm willing to try). I like Philippa Gregory a lot - she reminds me of a historical Jackie Collins. In general, her books are smutty and fun. (Although I'm glad she got the incest out of her system early in her career, 'cause that was a tad creepy.)

If this book was JUST historical fiction, it would've been trashy, a bit melodramatic and pretty dang fun to read. However, Ms. Gregory had to make it a romance too, which ruined it.

I wasn't surprised by the plot since the romance was featured prominently on the back cover blurb. I just felt if Frances (the slave trader's wife) was going to go against her society norms and shake off every prejudice she had ever been taught, she needed a little wooing from the object of her affection! At least have him wear some skintight pants and sweat a lot while doing a manly task like woodchopping. (That's how Harlequins do it.) Instead, Mehuru (the slave) walked in the room for about the 7th time in the book and the two were suddenly deeply in love.

It was so abrupt (and so odd) I kept checking the page numbers to make sure I hadn't missed some important clue as to what the heck was going on. ( )
  eljabo | Nov 6, 2009 |

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:10 -0400)

Bristol in 1787 is booming, a city where power beckons those who dare to take risks. Josiah Cole, a small dockside trader, is prepared to gamble everything to join the big players of the city. But he needs capital and a well-connected wife. Marriage to Frances Scott is a mutually convenient solution. Trading her social contacts for Josiah's protection, Frances finds her life and fortune dependent on the respectable trade of sugar, rum, and slaves. Into her new world comes Mehuru, once a priest in the ancient African kingdom of Yoruba, now a slave in England. From opposite ends of the earth, despite the difference in status, Mehuru and Frances confront each other and their need for love and liberty.--Publisher description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,448,265 books! | Top bar: Always visible