Rounding the Mark by Andrea Camilleri

Rounding the Mark (original 2003; edition 2006)

by Andrea Camilleri, Stephen Sartarelli (Translator)

Member:Bruce_McNair
Title:Rounding the Mark
Authors:Andrea Camilleri
Other authors:Stephen Sartarelli (Translator)
Info:Picador (2006), Edition: First Printing, Hardcover
Collections:Read, Your library
Tags:mystery, crime, detective, italian

Rounding the Mark by Andrea Camilleri (2003)

English (20)  Spanish (3)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (26)
First, my compliments to Stephen Sartarelli on his translation and notes compiled for the reader to understand every nuance of Camilleri's written word.
Some say that the pace of the book is slow, but, I enjoyed this differing flavor on a detective novel. Camilleri is able to immerse us in the world of Inspector Montalbano: his love and enjoyment of mediterranean food coupled with a detailed description of the sea and the warm and rocky Sicilian geography. With a mix of humor, cynicism, compassion, and love of good food, Montalbano goes into battle against the powerful and the corrupt who are determined to block his path. This is a"delicious" discovery for mystery afficionados and fiction lovers. (less) ( )
  FAR2MANYBOOKS | Mar 25, 2016 |
Due to the hectic holiday season, I decided to listen to this mystery even though I own the paperback. This way I could 'read' it while wrapping gifts, baking cookies etc. Grover Gardner is becoming one of my favorite narrators & he didn't disappoint in this Italian mystery. However, I did miss the endnotes (footnotes?) that the translator Stephen Sartarelli includes in the print copy. In fact, I checked in regularly with my paperback to read them!

So while this is a successful audiobook, I think that this is a series I will mostly read in print. ( )
  leslie.98 | Dec 23, 2015 |
Once again I found myself flying through an Inspector Montalbano mystery. Camilleri manages to get the perfect blend of mystery, social commentary and personal life in these books. I love the way Montalbano eats & the loving care Camilleri puts into the descriptions of the food! But even better is that in each of these mysteries, I learn something about Sicily & Italy in general with the help of the marvellous endnotes by translator Stephen Sartarelli. I look forward to continuing this series.

In this entry, Camilleri tackles an issue that is upsetting to both Montalbano & myself: illegal smuggling of young children into the country. While some of these children are being reunited with one or both parents already present illegally in Italy, most of them are sadly brought over for less savory reasons. Montalbano gets involved with this situation when he helps retrieve a young boy whom he thinks is running away from his mother. A day or two later, the boy is found dead. Montalbano feels compelled to investigate even though it happened outside his jurisdiction. ( )
  leslie.98 | Dec 23, 2015 |
2010, Blackstone Audiobooks, Read by Grover Gardner

Book Description: from Amazon.com:
Camilleri's gripping seventh Inspector Montalbano mystery successfully integrates serious political themes with a hero reminiscent of Colin Dexter's beloved Inspector Morse. Frustrated by his department's repressive handling of security for the G8 summit in Genoa, Montalbano seriously considers resigning. His attempt to unwind with a casual swim along the Sicilian seashore fails when he discovers a corpse in the water. The inspector's pursuit of the cause of death intersects with another mystery – the inquiry into a hit-and-run that claimed the life of a young boy who may have been victimized by human traffickers. When Montalbano realizes that he may have inadvertently aided the boy's victimizers, his internal turmoil intensifies. Despite Camilleri's hard look at modern-day slavery and child abuse, he maintains Montalbano's gallows humor, making this far from a run-of-the-mill police procedural.

My Review:
I am particularly intrigued by human trafficking stories – modern-day slavery as noted in the Book Description – so I was easily taken with the premise of Rounding the Mark. Fiascos around the handing of G8 security is also a theme apropos of our modern world. I’m beginning to feel somewhat anxious for Montalbano and Livia, in terms of the state of their relationship – and Rounding the Mark did nothing to alleviate this feeling. I’m thinking the inspector needs to seriously step up where his personal life is concerned, but to be honest, I’m bracing for disappointment. Grover Gardner rocks! ( )
1 vote lit_chick | Feb 7, 2015 |
This was a more or less average story in the Inspector Montalbano series. The crimes that are the topic of this story - human trafficking - are reprehensible, for sure, but as with previous Montalbano stories, the crimes are only part of the story. This time, the personal Montablano focus is his disillusionment with his job. Montalbano predominantly runs his own solo investigations, relegating his work colleagues to the ranks of 'out of the loop' disgruntled secondary characters. Even Livia only receives minor attention. Thankfully, Ingrid in the picture or this would have been a bit of a downer of story for me. On the bright side, Camilleri introduces a new character, adding some levity to the story: a police officer - who's name escapes me as I write this review - who seems to have a goods emporium within easy reach of his desk. Apparently he has one of everything Montalbano seems to be in need of, from eye glasses to hip-wading boots! ( )
  lkernagh | Dec 7, 2014 |

Andrea Camilleriprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sartarelli, StephenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stinking, treacherous night.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 014303748X, Paperback)

The earthy and urbane Sicilian detective Inspector Montalbano casts his spell on more and more fans with each new mystery from Andrea Camilleri.

Two seemingly unrelated deaths form the central mystery of Rounding the Mark. They will take Montalbano deep into a secret world of illicit trafficking in human lives, and the investigation will test the limits of his physical, psychological, and moral endurance. Disillusioned and no longer believing in the institution he serves, will he withdraw or delve deeper into his work?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:37 -0400)

"Two seemingly unrelated deaths form the central mystery of Rounding the Mark. They will take Inspector Montalbano deep into a secret world of illicit trafficking in human lives, and the investigation will test the limits of his physical, psychological, and moral endurance. Disillusioned and no longer believing in the institution he serves, will he withdraw or delve deeper into his work?"--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,164,021 books! | Top bar: Always visible