Rounding the Mark by Andrea Camilleri

Rounding the Mark (original 2003; edition 2006)

by Andrea Camilleri, Stephen Sartarelli (Translator)

Member:Bruce_McNair
Title:Rounding the Mark
Authors:Andrea Camilleri
Other authors:Stephen Sartarelli (Translator)
Info:Picador (2006), Edition: First Printing, Hardcover
Collections:Read, Your library
Tags:mystery, crime, detective, italian

Rounding the Mark by Andrea Camilleri (2003)

English (15)  Spanish (3)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (21)
Of course, this book begins with a corpse. It's swimming this time, and turns out to have something in with a little boy running away from a boatload of refugees that have landed on Sicily's shores. Camilleri uses this novel to highlight the tragic business of human trafficking in the Mediterranean, and is, in my opinion, the most engaging and touching Montalbano novel. ( )
  tulikangaroo | Aug 25, 2013 |
Camilleri's Montalbano wants to retire when it gets into the news that top policemen have become corrupt because he takes it personally and it shames him, but he finds he still has very important work to do and miles to go before he can sleep. ( )
  Condorena | Apr 2, 2013 |
When I talk about the Montalbano series I keep making faces that suggest I'm not really into it or it's a rather embarrassing passtime or 'ugh mysogyny fail!', and I'm somehow reading it under pressure. So, considering I'm still reading, I need to get real and just say, these books are fun. So fun you don't really notice that they do actually touch on issues with a capital I.

I may forget the plot of this particular book, but I'll never forget Montalbano's genius idea to tow a corpse out of the sea using his swimming trunks. Characters like Catarella may continue to grate on my nerves, but that's made up for more than enough by the likes of Fazio and Mimi. Sometimes the books might get a little too grubby for my taste, but considering I drool over all the foody descriptions, I should just shut up.

So yes, fun series, will continue to read. ( )
  h_d | Mar 31, 2013 |
An Inspector Montalbano mystery - from the series on which the TV series is based. Montalbano goes swimming and bumps into a floating dead man. So starts a mystery involving illegal migration and child trafficking. The characterisation is good with a comical vein. I enjoyed this story more than any of the TV series. ( )
  Bruce_McNair | Dec 25, 2012 |
This novel is a strange mixture of the humorous and the serious. The serious comes from two themes: corruption in the Italian police force particularly at the upper levels, and the increasing trade in human trafficking. At least twice, in the face of his inability to stop the growth in either of these two issues, Montalbano reaches a point of resignation.

He takes delight in small victories though like the solving of mysteries such as identity of the floating corpse that he bumps into on his morning swim. The humour is bound up in Montalbano's personality and the actions he takes such as his decision to tow the corpse to shore using his own swimming trunks, and his tendency to neigh like a horse when he is delighted.

Montalbano comes through as an intuitive detective seeing patterns and connections where others don't, and possessing an ability to replay and freeze-frame events in his own mind, looking for things that don't fit.

The narration by Grover Gardner took some getting used to. He used a variety of Bronx intonations for members of Montalbano's team. It was almost enough to put me off right at the beginning. ( )
  smik | Sep 30, 2012 |

Andrea Camilleriprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sartarelli, StephenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stinking, treacherous night.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 014303748X, Paperback)

The earthy and urbane Sicilian detective Inspector Montalbano casts his spell on more and more fans with each new mystery from Andrea Camilleri.

Two seemingly unrelated deaths form the central mystery of Rounding the Mark. They will take Montalbano deep into a secret world of illicit trafficking in human lives, and the investigation will test the limits of his physical, psychological, and moral endurance. Disillusioned and no longer believing in the institution he serves, will he withdraw or delve deeper into his work?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:18 -0400)

"Two seemingly unrelated deaths form the central mystery of Rounding the Mark. They will take Inspector Montalbano deep into a secret world of illicit trafficking in human lives, and the investigation will test the limits of his physical, psychological, and moral endurance. Disillusioned and no longer believing in the institution he serves, will he withdraw or delve deeper into his work?"--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,487,997 books! | Top bar: Always visible