Rounding the Mark by Andrea Camilleri

Rounding the Mark (original 2003; edition 2006)

by Andrea Camilleri, Stephen Sartarelli (Translator)

Member:Bruce_McNair
Title:Rounding the Mark
Authors:Andrea Camilleri
Other authors:Stephen Sartarelli (Translator)
Info:Picador (2006), Edition: First Printing, Hardcover
Collections:Read, Your library
Tags:mystery, crime, detective, italian

Rounding the Mark by Andrea Camilleri (2003)

English (17)  Spanish (3)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (23)
2010, Blackstone Audiobooks, Read by Grover Gardner

Book Description: from Amazon.com:
Camilleri's gripping seventh Inspector Montalbano mystery successfully integrates serious political themes with a hero reminiscent of Colin Dexter's beloved Inspector Morse. Frustrated by his department's repressive handling of security for the G8 summit in Genoa, Montalbano seriously considers resigning. His attempt to unwind with a casual swim along the Sicilian seashore fails when he discovers a corpse in the water. The inspector's pursuit of the cause of death intersects with another mystery – the inquiry into a hit-and-run that claimed the life of a young boy who may have been victimized by human traffickers. When Montalbano realizes that he may have inadvertently aided the boy's victimizers, his internal turmoil intensifies. Despite Camilleri's hard look at modern-day slavery and child abuse, he maintains Montalbano's gallows humor, making this far from a run-of-the-mill police procedural.

My Review:
I am particularly intrigued by human trafficking stories – modern-day slavery as noted in the Book Description – so I was easily taken with the premise of Rounding the Mark. Fiascos around the handing of G8 security is also a theme apropos of our modern world. I’m beginning to feel somewhat anxious for Montalbano and Livia, in terms of the state of their relationship – and Rounding the Mark did nothing to alleviate this feeling. I’m thinking the inspector needs to seriously step up where his personal life is concerned, but to be honest, I’m bracing for disappointment. Grover Gardner rocks! ( )
1 vote lit_chick | Feb 7, 2015 |
This was a more or less average story in the Inspector Montalbano series. The crimes that are the topic of this story - human trafficking - are reprehensible, for sure, but as with previous Montalbano stories, the crimes are only part of the story. This time, the personal Montablano focus is his disillusionment with his job. Montalbano predominantly runs his own solo investigations, relegating his work colleagues to the ranks of 'out of the loop' disgruntled secondary characters. Even Livia only receives minor attention. Thankfully, Ingrid in the picture or this would have been a bit of a downer of story for me. On the bright side, Camilleri introduces a new character, adding some levity to the story: a police officer - who's name escapes me as I write this review - who seems to have a goods emporium within easy reach of his desk. Apparently he has one of everything Montalbano seems to be in need of, from eye glasses to hip-wading boots! ( )
  lkernagh | Dec 7, 2014 |
Of course, this book begins with a corpse. It's swimming this time, and turns out to have something in with a little boy running away from a boatload of refugees that have landed on Sicily's shores. Camilleri uses this novel to highlight the tragic business of human trafficking in the Mediterranean, and is, in my opinion, the most engaging and touching Montalbano novel. ( )
  tulikangaroo | Aug 25, 2013 |
Camilleri's Montalbano wants to retire when it gets into the news that top policemen have become corrupt because he takes it personally and it shames him, but he finds he still has very important work to do and miles to go before he can sleep. ( )
  Condorena | Apr 2, 2013 |
When I talk about the Montalbano series I keep making faces that suggest I'm not really into it or it's a rather embarrassing passtime or 'ugh mysogyny fail!', and I'm somehow reading it under pressure. So, considering I'm still reading, I need to get real and just say, these books are fun. So fun you don't really notice that they do actually touch on issues with a capital I.

I may forget the plot of this particular book, but I'll never forget Montalbano's genius idea to tow a corpse out of the sea using his swimming trunks. Characters like Catarella may continue to grate on my nerves, but that's made up for more than enough by the likes of Fazio and Mimi. Sometimes the books might get a little too grubby for my taste, but considering I drool over all the foody descriptions, I should just shut up.

So yes, fun series, will continue to read. ( )
  h_d | Mar 31, 2013 |

Andrea Camilleriprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sartarelli, StephenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stinking, treacherous night.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 014303748X, Paperback)

The earthy and urbane Sicilian detective Inspector Montalbano casts his spell on more and more fans with each new mystery from Andrea Camilleri.

Two seemingly unrelated deaths form the central mystery of Rounding the Mark. They will take Montalbano deep into a secret world of illicit trafficking in human lives, and the investigation will test the limits of his physical, psychological, and moral endurance. Disillusioned and no longer believing in the institution he serves, will he withdraw or delve deeper into his work?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:18 -0400)

"Two seemingly unrelated deaths form the central mystery of Rounding the Mark. They will take Inspector Montalbano deep into a secret world of illicit trafficking in human lives, and the investigation will test the limits of his physical, psychological, and moral endurance. Disillusioned and no longer believing in the institution he serves, will he withdraw or delve deeper into his work?"--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,720,277 books! | Top bar: Always visible