Never Fall Down: A Novel by Patricia…

Never Fall Down: A Novel (edition 2012)

by Patricia Mccormick

299None37,284 (4.24)15
Member:chazzard
Title:Never Fall Down: A Novel
Authors:Patricia Mccormick
Info:Balzer & Bray (2012), Hardcover, 288 pages
Collections:Ebooks
Tags:cambodia, 1970s, 1980s, genocide, child soldier, war, refugees, survival, young adult, fiction, tpl, ebook

Never Fall Down by Patricia McCormick

A pretty good book from the genre of developing world refugee books, but has many of the elements you see in all books from this genre (not a bad thing, just predictable). Story felt really authentic and the flashback to 70s and 80s Cambodia was a needed reflection. ( )
  rdwhitenack | Jul 29, 2013 |
You know, I’ve learnt about Cambodian child soldiers at school. I’ve learnt that they are usually misguided, impressionable children who didn’t know what was happening half the time and were too scared to act the other half of the time. They said that those children were forced to kill their family and drink their blood. They said that those children became feral killing machines because they didn’t know to do anything but kill mindlessly.

But, at school, no one mentioned how the children bonded with each other, how they perform small acts of mercy for each other – stealing food, claiming the blames for themselves – and how not all of the Khmer Rouge were not bad, that sometimes they killed so that they could live.

This book affected me profoundly – not because it was written with smooth, flowing words, but rather because it was written in the stilted, broken dialect of one foreign to English. I’ve read some reviews where people complained about the writing style, but I disagree.

This is a war story. It is not an ode to the horrors of war, it’s not a book designed to impress you with the multi-syllable words, or the flowing sentences, each bleeding into the next. It is not an elegant tribute to why child soldiers should be stopped. It is a first-handed account from a boy – a man – who survived, who endured all of this who is now recounting his story to other people in hopes of raising awareness.

When I was learning about child soldiers in school, it remained a distant thing. Sure, I knew that it was terrible, that it ought to be stopped, that it was wrong, but, deep down, a selfish part of me was thinking: this is never going to affect me, why should I do anything? It remained, to me, something akin to murders and abductions – I knew they existed but I also knew that they would never affect me on a personal level.

Before reading this book, I had never really thought about what happened to the children after the war was finished – did they go back to school? What of their family? What of the children they fought with? They were all questions lumped with things like why is 687 Earth days in one Mars year?

Do you see that man? He’s Arn-Chorn Pond, the boy, the man, whom this book is about. He has witnessed murders, has helped bury still living bodies, has killed, has stolen, has done so many unspeakable things to survive. But, looking at him, would you know that? Or would you just think him to be another ordinary man, one with a safe, happy childhood and whose worst offence is something like a parking ticket?

This is a survival story. It’s a story containing unspeakable actions all done in the name of survival. But it’s also a story of how, no matter what you have done, you can use your experiences for the better, to help others like you.

There are two sides of every coin. There are two ways you can go from any actions. Arn-Chorn Pond could have chosen to be the man in the bar you see every night, drinking heavily to dim the pain, to blur the memories. He could have become a hit-man, using his already developed skills to bring him money. He could have a drug dealer and terrorized his opposition. The point is, he could be so many different things that would benefit himself more, but he chose to do the thing that would benefit children of similar circumstances more, and that, I think, is the most commendable part of the story for me.
  Joyce.Leung | May 24, 2013 |
This book, written in broken English, was very hard to get through. It is based on the real-life experiences of Arn Chorn-Pond and is very depressing to read. It does give a good depiction of what war can and will do to the development of children. The choice in writing in broken English helps to set the reader apart from the actual events, but it still allows for developing compassion for Arn and the other children. ( )
  LaneLiterati | Apr 30, 2013 |
Very sad book. It was hard for me to read... depressing.
  mcalcagno | Apr 29, 2013 |
A vivid, harrowing, and profoundly moving story based on the real-life experience of Arn Charn, whose family is forced to relocate to the infamous "Killing Fields" when the Khmer Rouge comes to power in Cambodia. A superbly written, memorable novel. ( )
1 vote Sullywriter | Apr 3, 2013 |
At night in our town, it's music everywhere.
And I know then I have power. Power from playing the khim and leading the other singer. Power from also being a dancer. Power from being a little bit a star in the show. I feel big with this power--tall, not like little kid--like right now I just stop Siv from probably dying. No one here talks back to the Khmer Rouge, no one challenge them. But maybe I can now. (end of chapter 5)

"Cambodian child soldier Arn Chorn-Pond defied the odds and used all of his courage and wits to survive the murderous regime of the Khmer Rouge"--

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,492,834 books! | Top bar: Always visible