Just Behave, Pablo Picasso! by Jonah Winter

Just Behave, Pablo Picasso! (edition 2012)

by Jonah Winter, Kevin Hawkes (Illustrator)

Member:jpmorales92
Title:Just Behave, Pablo Picasso!
Authors:Jonah Winter
Other authors:Kevin Hawkes (Illustrator)
Info:Arthur A. Levine Books (2012), Edition: Hardcover, Hardcover, 48 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:biography, art, Picasso

Just Behave, Pablo Picasso! by Jonah Winter

I appreciated the larger-than-life approach to portraying Picasso. I simply loved the double spread close up of the intense, not-quite-pleasant-expression on his face on the title page...right away an indication that Picasso is going to engage you whether you like it or not. And I am happy to see representations of so many different of his works throughout the book...usually with a picture book about an artist I am left wanting more of their art than I get.

I really don't mind the fantastic elements--Picasso bursting through the landscape, Picasso 100 feet tall--they are an imaginative way to represent all the oversize feelings and debate that surrounded Picasso his entire career. But I do think it's a lost opportunity not to address this in an author's note. It would have been cool to hear the author talking about wanting to show Picasso in a new way, just as Picasso wanted to depict the world he saw in a new way.

Also, we complain (rightly) when students cut-and-paste and plagiarize; so wouldn't it behoove us to offer them excellent models of citing their sources as they begin learning about non-fiction? In this book there is quite a bit of dialog, which is a great technique for engaging children and making the text come alive. I would really have appreciated, though, a list of citations or a note in the back telling me which, if any, of the quotes were real. (eg, "Pablo Picasso did say, 'To copy yourself is pathetic,' but he didn't shout it from a rooftop like we said in the book, he wrote it in a letter to Mr. X." [I'm totally making this up, I have no idea when or how he said this for real, though the actual quote seems to be, "To copy others is necessary, but to copy oneself is pathetic."])

If they weren't real quotes, then a note to that effect would be great too. ("Pablo Picasso didn't say these things exactly, but in letters/newspaper articles/whatever he did say X, which is very similar.") Unfortunately, there is no bibliography, works cited, or resources for further reading listed at all.

So, great introduction to Picasso, not so great on being a non-fiction book. ( )
  MelissaZD | Dec 31, 2013 |

MelissaZD | Dec 31, 2013 |
Summary:
This a biography of Pablo Picasso. This story shows the struggle that he faced when he began painting and nobody wanted his works of art. He went right on ahead painting them anyway though.

Personal Reaction:
I enjoyed this book. I found that it told the story of Picasso in an interesting and child friendly/appropriate mannner.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. Let your students make their own Picasso worthy work of art.
2. Discuss how not everybody likes the same thing, but we are respectful and nice about others work and we only share kind words.
3. Let them choose another famous artist and explore/research them and their styles.
  ElizabethNagel | Nov 14, 2013 |
I really enjoyed this book. It is a great way to introduce children to the artist, Pablo Picasso. I learned a lot too!
  mrea | Oct 4, 2013 |
Great book that explores Picasso's thinking, work, and life. He followed his heart regardless of what others said. ( )
  pmartens | Sep 14, 2013 |

An inspiration to anyone who's ever felt judged!

"One day the world is a peaceful, lovely landscape painting... The next day - BLAM! - Pablo bursts through the canvas, paintbrush in hand, ready to paint something fresh and new."

Pablo Picasso may have been one of the most famous artists of the 20th century, but that doesn't mean he painted what people wanted him to paint! In fact, some people hated his paintings, and called them "ugly!" and "terrible!" -- something many kids can relate to. But Picasso didn't listen to all those people, and kept on working the way he wanted to work, until he created something so new, so different... that people didn't know what to say!

For every young artist who's drawn something other kids think is "ugly," this story of rebellion and creativity is sure to inspire.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:15 -0400)

"Pablo Picasso may have been a world-famous artist, but that doesn't mean no one ever called his artwork "ugly." Any kid who's been told what to draw, or heard mean things about something they made, will relate to this story about how Pablo faced down his critics and made something truly original."--Jacket flap.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,653,818 books! | Top bar: Always visible