Merry Christmas, Alex Cross by James…

Merry Christmas, Alex Cross (edition 2012)

by James Patterson

Collections:Patterson, James
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Ebook

Merry Christmas, Alex Cross by James Patterson

Recently added bypeatypea, VickiL.NIx, private library, jdefgts, philn, btwrlibrary, careshare, booksniff

Book 19, in the Alex Cross series

This is a typical Alex Cross story, a direct sequel to “Kill Alex Cross”, with a similar plot-featuring Hala from the previous installment but does feature new characters, some new elements and a few other story lines. It is jammed packed with action as we see Alex being pulled out of the family Christmas celebrations and rush on scenes and confront the unthinkable.

Following are two heart-pounding threads: first, Alex is forced to make a decision when a father is threatening to murder his children and ex-wife. Whatever the decision, the results could end as many lives as it saves, that including his own. Second: a cat and mouse game with Jihadists on a mission to do as much harm as possible. Union Station seems to be Hala and her team’s primary target….Alex is on speed dial with the FBI and evidently is the in-between guy….

This novel is the usual James Patterson, short chapters, sharp narrative, intense actions and likeable characters. This is good entertainment easily read in a few hours. It may have Christmas as a backdrop but it is a thriller for all times. It has a wonderful contrast between the grim reality of terrorism and the lovely close relationship of the Cross’s family.

Good read to pass time. ( )
  Tigerpaw70 | Jan 17, 2014 |
Alex Cross is called out from the comfort of his home for an assignment on Christmas Eve............Cross no sooner arrives home Christmas eve when he is called out again for a hostage situation involving a crazed, cocaine addict, estranged ex-husband who is holding his ex-wife, their children, and the wife's present husband hostage. The plan is to kill each of them on Christmas Day.. Alex puts himself in grave danger by entering the home to talk with the estranged ex husband. Alex's family is upset because he didn't refuse when he was called to duty. Alex realizes he may never see his family again. ( )
  Sandraelaine | Dec 9, 2013 |
Another great installment in the Alex Cross series. On Christmas Eve, Alex gets called to a hostage situation where he must try to talk some sense into an unruly madman. Just hours after he finally gets settled back in at home on Christmas morning he gets called to another situation. Number 3 on the FBI's most wanted list is loose in Union Station. Can Alex stop her before she terrorizes the entire District of Columbia, and will he get home in time to his loving wife and family? ( )
  Pierced_Phoenix | Jun 20, 2013 |
I listened to the Audiobook version. The story was typical of the other books in this series. Short chapters, lots of action and fast-paced. I enjoyed it a lot. I also really liked this audio version. It had multiple voice actors and sound effects. Very nicely done. ( )
  Barb_H | Apr 25, 2013 |
Let me start by saying that I adore Alex Cross. I have since the moment I first met him many many books ago. However, the typical things that make him who he is are starting to get a little old for me, and I'm not sure why. This book seemed like another version of all the others, but on a smaller scale.

The book was divided into two (possibly three) parts of Alex's work life - the hostage scenario that happened on Christmas Eve, then the Union Station incident on Christmas Day. I suppose you could say that the follow up to that was a separate incident, but it could also be connected.

I actually liked the first incident more - a little more Criminal Minds and more along the line of Dr. Cross figuring out the psycho. The other storyline brings in Saudis who are fighting for their God. Not super original, and I got frustrated as a result.

Alex's home life didn't seem any different in this book and actually even less of a focus than in other books. Yes, he felt guilty about leaving them on Christmas, and they did a good job of pouring on the guilt while still loving him and being proud of him, but that was about it. Focus on food with a little bit of church to round it out.

It was just okay for me. Felt like a filler book, but that was it. ( )
  salgalruns | Apr 5, 2013 |
The rear door to St. Anthony's Church had been left open.

It's Christmas Eve and Detective Alex Cross has been called out to catch someone who's robbing his church's poor box. That mission behind him, Alex returns home to celebrate with Bree, Nana, and his children. The tree decorating is barely underway before his phone rings again--a horrific hostage situation is quickly spiraling out of control. Away from his own family on the most precious of days, Alex calls upon every ounce of his training, creativity, and daring to save another family. Alex risks everything--and he may not make it back alive on this most sacred of family days. Alex Cross is a hero for our time, and never more so than in this story of family, action, and the deepest moral choices. MERRY CHRISTMAS, ALEX CROSS will be a holiday classic for years to come.

It's Christmas Eve and Detective Alex Cross is called away from his family to resolve a horrific hostage situation that is spiraling out of control.

767 wanted2 pay10 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,824,233 books! | Top bar: Always visible