Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

How to Archer: The Ultimate Guide to…

How to Archer: The Ultimate Guide to Espionage and Style and Women and… (2012)

by Sterling Archer

17 (1) 105 (1) 2012 (1) 21st century (1) Angelle (1) borrowed (1) comedy (1) cpl (1) ebook (1) espionage (2) fiction (4) franklin-books (1) funny (1) goodreads (1) how-to (1) humor (19) Kindle (1) mock handbook (1) NF (1) non-fiction (4) owned (1) read (2) read in 2012 (1) satire (1) spy (1) television (5) tie-in (1) to-read (2) unread (2) USA (1)

If you like the TV show Archer, you will probably enjoy this book; if you haven't seen the show, you will probably be confused (and/or appalled). In the book, secret agent Sterling Archer writes about How to Spy, How to Drink, How to Style, How to Dine, and How to Pay for It, but anyone who picked this up expecting practical advice on any of these topics will be sorely disappointed. Anyone who picked it up expected to be entertained, however, should be satisfied.

Quotes:

Footnote p. 43: They say stress is the silent killer. But poison darts are also pretty damn quiet.

p. 101: The tuxedo is worn with...a cummerbund, the pleats of which should face upward. This is so you can stash some Goldfish crackers in there.

Appendix C, p. 162: Peru is the native habitat of the endangered Spectacled Bear, the species that served as the inspiration for...Paddington Bear! Paddington Bear! Paddington Bear! Yay, Paddington! ( )
  JennyArch | Apr 3, 2013 |
It seems that Castle isn't the only one cashing in on his success by releasing a book. Sterling Archer, spy extraordinaire, write his how-to guide on spywork, sex (free and paid), food and more.

While at times the joke does wear a bit thin for the most part this is a hilarious rendition of how-to guides full of the humour that makes the show so great. It's politically incorrect, disturbing it parts, but surprisingly quite factual. I stopped and looked things up a few times and found them to be true.

The writer/s knew how far to take each joke and move to the next subject before it got old. Like some other reviewers have said an audiobook version read by H. Jon Benjamin would be great, as well as some input from the other characters.

All up a good, funny book I'd recommend to any Archer fans. ( )
1 vote Shirezu | Mar 31, 2013 |
Originally posted at The Wandering Fangirl.

Unless you’re a fan of the FX television show Archer this novel is based on, it’ll pretty much fly over your head, I believe. The humor is so specific and inflammatory that it won’t really work with someone who isn’t familiar with it, which is this book's major downfall.

That aside, as a huge Archer fan, I LOVED IT. Every single word written is pitch perfect, and I could hear it all narrated by H. Jon Benjamin, who voices Archer on the show. The chapters vary from drink and food recipes to what to do when you’re lucky enough to have sex with Archer and some actual tips on being a spy. It’s all so tongue in cheek and perfectly Archer that I can’t really say much more about it. I read it in one delighted sitting and then ended up marathoning some of my favorite Archer episodes just because. ( )
2 vote strongpieces | May 22, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0062066315, Paperback)

Hi. I see you’re reading the back of my book. This tells me that you either:

A) are hoping to find a brief summary of what to expect from a how-to book by Sterling Archer, the world’s greatest secret agent, or B) don’t know how books work.

If your answer was “A,” your best bet is probably the table of contents, which is where you’ll find the “contents” of this book listed in a convenient, easy-to-read “table” format. So maybe go check that out for a minute and then come back here. I’ll wait. . . .

Pretty cool, right? What other book will teach you how to dress properly and how to drive an elephant? How to field strip an AK-47 and how to haggle with a Thai prostitute—in her native tongue? How to pilot an airboat and how to make about a million delicious cocktails, including a Molotov one? How to kill a guy and how to prepare a fabulous brunch? Plus how to do tons of other stuff that I forgot, but that is nonetheless probably in this book (which, to be honest, I really only kinda skimmed).

So if you want to learn more about how to be more—or at all—like Sterling Archer, the world’s greatest secret agent, quit smearing your greasy fingerprints all over this book and buy it. For one thing, I really need the royalties. For another thing, the last time I checked, this wasn’t a damn library.

(Note: If your answer was “B,” this probably isn’t the book you want to start with.)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:18 -0400)

A humorous guide to living and surviving as an international secret agent by the self-proclaimed world's greatest secret agent, Sterling Archer.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,741,927 books! | Top bar: Always visible