Castro's Bomb by Robert Conroy

Castro's Bomb

by Robert Conroy

Set in 1963 after the Cuban Missile Crisis, Castro and his army use weapons left behind by the Russians to seize the U.S. base at Guantanamo Bay and then plan missile strikes against the U.S. From the corridors of power--with John F. Kennedy trying desperately to retain his leadership and keep the war from escalating--to soldiers and civilians both American and Cuban, this high-voltage novel follows the bloody fighting and struggles on the ground while never losing sight of how war can transform people and set in motion some highly unexpected consequences. Winner of the Sidewise Award for Best Alternate History Novel, bestselling author William R. Forstchen wrote, "Conroy's work is the type of book you simply can't put down."… (more)

I'm only giving this three stars right now. I love alternate history, but for some reason this book is just not holding my interest. I'm about a quarter of the way through but am setting it aside for now and will come back to it later.

I have enjoyed other Conroy novels, 1901 in particular, but this one is just not grabbing me and I have a few book club obligations to get through so I am shelving this one for now. ( )
  autumnturner76 | Sep 23, 2014 |
Another fun, light read by Mr. Conroy. Kudos! ( )
  1Randal | Aug 25, 2014 |

AutumnTurner | Dec 29, 2013 |
Another alternate history from Conroy, only available as an ebook. After the Cuban Missile Crisis is over, Castro launches a Christmas attack on the American base at Guantanamo Bay. The base is quickly overrun. Small groups of Americans cut off by the fighting try to stay alive and find a way to fight back, as the American response is hampered by fears of starting World War III--especially since Castro has captured several Russian tactical nukes.

Not Conroy's best, but readable enough. ( )
  readinggeek451 | Jan 22, 2012 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,801,275 books! | Top bar: Always visible