Laugh with the Moon by Shana Burg

Laugh with the Moon (edition 2012)

by Shana Burg

Member:chattycathy7
Title:Laugh with the Moon
Authors:Shana Burg
Info:Delacorte Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 256 pages
Rating:*****

Laugh with the Moon by Shana Burg

A rich, flavorful, emotionally engaging coming-of-age story set in contemporary Malawi. ( )
  Sullywriter | Apr 3, 2013 |
I can't imagine being thirteen and losing my mother. I have had many students who have had to go through this heart-rending situation. What made this story even more emotional was knowing that Clare's father pulled her from everything and everyone she knew and loved and moved her to Malawi for six months. Her father was excited to go back to a country he had worked in before. Clare had decided to give her dad the silent treatment for the entire six months. It's funny how meeting someone who has lost more than you have, and learning that there is always a silver lining if you look for it hard enough can help you heal and grow.

Clare is stubborn, intelligent, artistic and very loving. She has let the pain of losing her mother guide her for too long. In Malawai she learns she has much to offer others as well as watching as others who have lost so much more give everything. This was not an easy book to read. It is a book I will put at the front of my class on the first day of school and recommend to all of my students. I am trying to create global minded students. My students may not be able to travel to Malawi or any other country less fortunate than we are here in the USA. Through books like this one they will learn so much about what it takes to truly give of yourself. They can learn that the simplest gesture can make a difference. The fact that the book is full of information and facts because the author has been to Malawi holds great weight with me. I loved the vocabulary throughout the book. It is something else my students will love.

The book was so wonderfully written I could envision Clare's first encounter with a hippo and her shock at the school compared to her school back home. The author did a wonderful job of bringing the reader along with her to Malawi. I felt like I was a character walking beside Clare, Memory and Agnes. I will definitely read more by this author. I look for great books to recommend to my students and my parents for their children. This book is not just for middle schoolers or young adults. This is a book that even adults will enjoy. If you read no other book this year, this is the one you must read. ( )
  skstiles612 | Jul 24, 2012 |
Perfect for armchair travelers, this solid middle-grade novel tells the story of 13-year-old Clare who is forced to spend two months in Malawi while her father works for the Global Health Project after the death of Clare's mother. A spot-on 13-year-old character and rich details of the Malawian bush village and culture are highlights of this book for me. ( )
  abbylibrarian | Jun 11, 2012 |
After the death of her mother, Clare's dad drags her across the world to a remote African village for three months. While her dad works at the local hospital, Clares attends the village school, where she meets and befriends a girl named Memory. At first Clare is angry about the trip but as she becomes involved with the villagers she gradually accepts and begins to love their way of life.

Overall, I was highly impressed with this book. The plot moved very swiftly and I could feel the changes in Clare as the book progressed. Clare's attitude and demeanor seemed dead-on for a teenage girl. I think many teenagers would enjoy reading this book. It shows a world and way of life that American's rarely get to experience. ( )
  JanaRose1 | Feb 13, 2012 |

Laugh with the Moon is on the Texas Bluebonnet Award Master List.

Thirteen-year-old Clare Silver is stuck. Stuck in denial about her mother’s recent death. Stuck in the African jungle for sixty-four days without phone reception. Stuck with her father, a doctor who seems able to heal everyone but Clare.
Clare feels like a fish out of water at Mzanga Full Primary School, where she must learn a new language. Soon, though, she becomes immersed in her new surroundings and impressed with her fellow students, who are crowded into a tiny space, working on the floor among roosters and centipedes.
   When Clare’s new friends take her on an outing to see the country, the trip goes horribly wrong, and Clare must face another heartbreak head-on. Only an orphan named Memory, who knows about love and loss, can teach Clare how to laugh with the moon.
   Told from an American girl’s perspective, this story about how death teaches us to live and how love endures through our memories will capture the hearts of readers everywhere.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:51 -0400)

Massachusetts thirteen-year-old Clare, grieving after her mother's recent death, reluctantly travels with her father to spend nine weeks in a remote village in Malawi, where new friends and experiences help open her mind and heart.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,492,010 books! | Top bar: Always visible