Way to Go by Tom Ryan

Authors:Tom Ryan
Info:Orca Book Publishers (2012), Paperback, 224 pages
Collections:2012 Debut Authors

Way to Go by Tom Ryan

From Book Obsession (http://bookobsessiongpl.blogspot.com/2013/06/kearstens-book-club-may-and-june-st...):

In this historical fiction book set in 1994 (calling a book set during my high school years "historical" breaks my heart, btw), Danny spends the summer before his senior year trying to hide from something he's slowly beginning to realize: he might be gay. Okay, he's pretty sure he is gay, but he can change that, right?

Danny lives in a small town in Canada, and a lot of our conversation was about what that might be like. Our discussion leader mentioned that one of the complaints he'd found in online reviews of the book was that 'coming out' books like this one always seem to have this setting, which led to a ton of questions like: is it tougher to be "different" in a small town? Why might that be? And would we survive in a small town like Danny's? A couple of our teen book clubbers have lived in small towns themselves and shared their own experiences, along with the strangeness of everyone knowing your name (and parents, and grades, and exploits...)

Side note: Alma, Danny's little sister was amazing. One teen mentioned that she was being added to his fictional family, which makes total sense to me! Someday, I need to compile a list of awesome siblings in books... ( )
  kayceel | Jun 26, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Initially I wasn't all that taken by this book but about 30 pages in I got into the characters. Danny's 17 years-old, living in Cape Breton, and thinks he might be gay. He's terrified to tell his friends and his family. When Lisa shows up with her cool New York ways, Danny thinks he might be in love with her and be able to prove to his friends he's not gay. ( )
  Deedledee | May 26, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
It's the start of summer 1994 in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia and Danny is already in trouble with his mom. Normally he's a pretty low key, under the radar sort of kid, but he also has terrible luck. This is how he ends up working for Denise, his mother's friend who's opening a new restaurant in town.

Danny's got two good guy friends and they've been hanging out basically forever. They do the normal guy stuff, talk about music, sports and girls. If only Danny was as interested in the last category as he was in the other two... But he doesn't want to think about that. Not now, not really ever.

Instead he's going to throw himself into getting the restaurant ready to open and doing whatever else Denise and her chef, JP, need him to do. When cynical Lisa shows up with her bag full of mix tapes, Danny figures this might turn out to be a decent summer after all. All he has to do is fall in love with Lisa (and, you know, get her to do the same thing back to him). No problem.

Of course, nothing is ever as easy as it sounds in your head. And Danny's summer is full of missteps and mistakes. With summer approaching and summer jobs only slightly behind them, this is a great book to get you in the right frame of mind. It'll also get you thinking about all the time you'll be spending hanging out with your friends and dissecting each others' lives instead of figuring out quadratic equations. The dialogue is funny and the friendships ring true.

One thing that gives it a bonus is that it's set in 1994. Sure that's only 18 years ago, but it's fun to see how much some things have changed and what things still have a long way to go. No one has a cell phone! There are tape decks in cars! Danny's struggle with maybe being gay seems like it would be very different if he were 17 in 2012 instead of 1994. Since teens were maybe a baby and maybe not even born in 1994, reading Danny's story is a fun glimpse back in time.
  nicovin | May 16, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was an easy going book and intriguing enough that I finished it in a few hours. I was worried that it would be the classic teenage coming out story but wanted to give it try in case it wasn't. It isn't. The book is about more the process of understanding what matters in life. I kept expecting Danny to find a cute guy to hook up with but that never happened and after looking back on that, it was a little refreshing. It makes this book not about prejudices or love but about believing in yourself and coming to grips with who you are which is an important lesson for anyone. Danny was a fun character to follow; he's very relatable. One of the few things that lowered my rating was the anticlimactic ending. It seemed a little rushed. We follow Danny through his agony of refusing to believe he is gay but it seems like there was little transition between that and his acceptance. More on his thought process there would have been nice. Overall, a nice read. :) ( )
  Kassilem | May 7, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
An interesting addition to my collection of books set on or around Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia, Canada. Definitely not for the same audience as some of my other books, however.
  FinnyB | May 7, 2012 |

Maybe Lisa had appeared out of nowhere for a reason. I was kind of like a frog in a fairy tale who needed a kiss from a princess so he could turn into a prince. Only, instead of a frog, I was a might-be-gay kid who needed straightening out, and instead of a princess, she was a cigarette-smoking tattooed city girl with a bag full of mix tapes. I figured that was close enough.

Nothing kills your sex life like a dose of reality.

Danny thinks he must be the only seventeen-year-old guy in Cape Breton—in Nova Scotia, maybe—who doesn't have his life figured out. His buddy Kierce has a rule for every occasion, and his best friend Jay has bad grades, no plans and no worries. Danny's dad nags him about his post-high-school plans, his friends bug him about girls and a run-in with the cops means he has to get a summer job. Worst of all, he's keeping a secret that could ruin everything. [Orca]

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 145980077X, Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:24 -0400)

Danny is pretty sure he's gay, but he spends his summer trying to prove otherwise.

Tom Ryan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Way To Go by Tom Ryan was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,487,310 books! | Top bar: Always visible