The Weight of Water by Sarah Crossan

The Weight of Water (original 2012; edition 2013)

by Sarah Crossan

Member:LyraSilvertongue
Title:The Weight of Water
Authors:Sarah Crossan
Info:Bloomsbury Childrens (2013), Paperback, 256 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:young adult, emigration, high school, bullying, swimming

The Weight of Water by Sarah Crossan (2012)

Recently added byjohnsonr, mvburns, sscarllet, CeliaScott, DeathByPain, ellsie98, private library, gortonlib, nittnut
    Heartbeat by Sharon Creech (celerydog)
    celerydog: novel-in-verse with teenage protagonist. Equally satisfying.

When I first started this book, I was uncertain as I famously do not get on with poetry at all, and the entire novel was written in that style. I think that this really added to the uniqueness and emotion of the novel, which encouraged me into Kaseinka's shoes as she moved from Poland to Coventry in search of her father.
However, I do have to say that the raw emotion and feeling of the book, combined with the fact that it entailed no prose, was the only highlight of the book. In short, it was a story about a normal person, and a situation that people really live in - and although I would normally avoid such a book, this one surprised me.
I loved the main character, and the way her emotions were portrayed by the use of poetry as opposed to prose. I think it allowed us, as readers, to see much deeper into her mind, as instead of spending 80% of the book recounting what happened, a similar amount was spent showing us how Kasienka felt about everything that happened. And because the book was a poetry anthology, There was a lot more room for this and it made more sense to the reader to have such a vast amount of emotion, rather than in prose, which can sound repetitive and boring.
On my list of Carnegie books I want to win, I would place this second under "Code Name Verity". ( )
  ellsie98 | Nov 16, 2014 |
Kasienka and her Mama immigrate to England from Poland to find her father (Tata). Tata walked away from them and never returned, but her mom is sure she’ll find him. Every day, Mama forces Kasienka to go with her to knock on stranger’s doors, hoping Tata will be behind one of them.

Read the rest of my review on my blog: http://shouldireaditornot.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/the-weight-of-water-sarah-cro... ( )
  ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |
First dipped into the poems in the charity shop without realising it was a novel. Then read it cover to cover trying to go slowly. The narrative thread drives you on through the book so that it is really hard to stop reading one poem after another and the book is finished far too quickly. I loved the voice of the girl combined with the maturity of the author. Both shine through together similar to that of other favourite teenage girl characters (Dido, Emma Graham). And since finishing I have been dipping back into individual poems. Shall have to keep this book or give it away to someone special. ( )
  Ma_Washigeri | Jun 17, 2014 |
Generally not liking poetry, I really enjoyed this book. Poems are presented in clear language with a clear and present purpose. The Weight of Water will appeal and touch any current or former swimmer, as well as those readers that may not feel like they are in control of any aspect of their lives. It is a fun and quick read sure to make a positive impression of poetry on the reader. ( )
  abcrane | May 7, 2014 |
I love novels in verse. While the plot of this story didn't grip me like Living Dead Girl or Love and Leftovers the verse was very thoughtful and individual lines and passages were incredibly moving. The Weight of Water is the perfect tween novel that encompasses that awkward transition from Juvenile to Teen books. I often found myself thinking 'should this be in ya or the kids section?" Kasienka moves with her mother to try and find their father who has run away. Kasienka now dubbed Cassie must make sense of her new home without the help of an adult since her mother is consumed with finding dad. Everything sort of works out, its not good or bad its just life. I loved the quotes from their neighbor who has also recently moved. ( )
  SparklePonies | Feb 9, 2014 |
For Mum and Dad
The wheels on the suitcase break / Before we've even left Gdansk Glowny. / Mama knocks them on some steps and / Bang, crack, rattle - / No more use. / There are / plastic bits / Everywhere.

Twelve-year-old Kasienka and her mother have immigrated to Coventry, England from Poland, searching for Kasienka's father, but everyone is unfriendly except for an African neighbor and a boy Kasienka meets at the swimming pool, which is her only refuge from an alien society.… (more)

1 wanted3 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,400,559 books! | Top bar: Always visible