The Weight of Water by Sarah Crossan

The Weight of Water (original 2012; edition 2013)

by Sarah Crossan

87None142,677 (3.98)6
Member:LyraSilvertongue
Title:The Weight of Water
Authors:Sarah Crossan
Info:Bloomsbury Childrens (2013), Paperback, 256 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:young adult, emigration, high school, bullying, swimming

The Weight of Water by Sarah Crossan (2012)

Heartbeat by Sharon Creech (celerydog)
    celerydog: novel-in-verse with teenage protagonist. Equally satisfying.

I love novels in verse. While the plot of this story didn't grip me like Living Dead Girl or Love and Leftovers the verse was very thoughtful and individual lines and passages were incredibly moving. The Weight of Water is the perfect tween novel that encompasses that awkward transition from Juvenile to Teen books. I often found myself thinking 'should this be in ya or the kids section?" Kasienka moves with her mother to try and find their father who has run away. Kasienka now dubbed Cassie must make sense of her new home without the help of an adult since her mother is consumed with finding dad. Everything sort of works out, its not good or bad its just life. I loved the quotes from their neighbor who has also recently moved. ( )
  SparklePonies | Feb 9, 2014 |
This is a novel in verse, a fact which put me off and intrigued me at the same time. It's a very moving story of a Polish girl who moves to Coventry with her mother in search of her missing father. I found the parts about bullying and withdrawing from close relationships especially heartfelt. Highly recommended. ( )
  eclecticdodo | Sep 1, 2013 |
When I first requested this book, I didn’t realize was a novel in verse. I love novels in verse, so I was even more excited when I found out that this book is written in that format. Crossan told a moving story about an immigrant’s experience using simple but powerful language. While this book only took about an hour to read, Kasienka’s story will stay with me for much longer. Her voice was strong, and I could really feel her loneliness and alienation as well as her courage and determination.The plot was engaging, and it explored issues with bullying and complicated family relationships. Despite some of the sad subject matter, I finished the book feeling hopeful and inspired.

I know a lot of other readers are hesitant to pick up novels in verse, but don’t let the format deter you from picking up this beautifully written book! I can see why this debut novel ended up on the Carnegie Medal shortlist. ( )
  SuperLibBlog | Jul 12, 2013 |
I received this book free of charge as an Advanced Readers Copy from the Texas Library Association 2013 conference.

I was hesitant to pick this book up when I noticed it was written in verse. However, when I read that it was narrative rather than poems, I put aside my bias and reservations and dove in. I'm so glad that I did.

Kasienka and her mother emigrate to England in search of her father. This book of verse chronicles Kasienka's struggles with a new school in a new country. She watches the devastating search for her father, is forced to accept the nickname Cassie, and is tormented by her female classmates in the cruel and unusual ways that middle school girls are best at. This is a tale of being different, of coming of age and of rebirth. It was very easy to read and incredibly touching. I think that everyone feels like an outcast sometimes and because of that it was very easy to relate to Kasienka.

I highly recommend this book. ( )
  emren | Apr 29, 2013 |
Satisfying novel-in-verse dealing with a Polish mother and daughter immigrating to 21C Britain, in search of the missing father. Female protagonist develops through the challenges life throws her. Realistic supporting characters. Good pick for 2013 Carnegie Medal shortlist. ( )
  celerydog | Apr 28, 2013 |
For Mum and Dad
The wheels on the suitcase break
Before we've even left Gdansk Glowny.

Twelve-year-old Kasienka and her mother have immigrated to Coventry, England from Poland, searching for Kasienka's father, but everyone is unfriendly except for an African neighbor and a boy Kasienka meets at the swimming pool, which is her only refuge from an alien society.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,455,269 books! | Top bar: Always visible