The Weight of Water by Sarah Crossan

The Weight of Water (original 2012; edition 2013)

by Sarah Crossan

Member:LyraSilvertongue
Title:The Weight of Water
Authors:Sarah Crossan
Info:Bloomsbury Childrens (2013), Paperback, 256 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:young adult, emigration, high school, bullying, swimming

The Weight of Water by Sarah Crossan (2012)

Heartbeat by Sharon Creech (celerydog)
    celerydog: novel-in-verse with teenage protagonist. Equally satisfying.

First dipped into the poems in the charity shop without realising it was a novel. Then read it cover to cover trying to go slowly. The narrative thread drives you on through the book so that it is really hard to stop reading one poem after another and the book is finished far too quickly. I loved the voice of the girl combined with the maturity of the author. Both shine through together similar to that of other favourite teenage girl characters (Dido, Emma Graham). And since finishing I have been dipping back into individual poems. Shall have to keep this book or give it away to someone special. ( )
  Ma_Washigeri | Jun 17, 2014 |
Generally not liking poetry, I really enjoyed this book. Poems are presented in clear language with a clear and present purpose. The Weight of Water will appeal and touch any current or former swimmer, as well as those readers that may not feel like they are in control of any aspect of their lives. It is a fun and quick read sure to make a positive impression of poetry on the reader. ( )
  abcrane | May 7, 2014 |
I love novels in verse. While the plot of this story didn't grip me like Living Dead Girl or Love and Leftovers the verse was very thoughtful and individual lines and passages were incredibly moving. The Weight of Water is the perfect tween novel that encompasses that awkward transition from Juvenile to Teen books. I often found myself thinking 'should this be in ya or the kids section?" Kasienka moves with her mother to try and find their father who has run away. Kasienka now dubbed Cassie must make sense of her new home without the help of an adult since her mother is consumed with finding dad. Everything sort of works out, its not good or bad its just life. I loved the quotes from their neighbor who has also recently moved. ( )
  SparklePonies | Feb 9, 2014 |
This is a novel in verse, a fact which put me off and intrigued me at the same time. It's a very moving story of a Polish girl who moves to Coventry with her mother in search of her missing father. I found the parts about bullying and withdrawing from close relationships especially heartfelt. Highly recommended. ( )
  eclecticdodo | Sep 1, 2013 |
When I first requested this book, I didn’t realize was a novel in verse. I love novels in verse, so I was even more excited when I found out that this book is written in that format. Crossan told a moving story about an immigrant’s experience using simple but powerful language. While this book only took about an hour to read, Kasienka’s story will stay with me for much longer. Her voice was strong, and I could really feel her loneliness and alienation as well as her courage and determination.The plot was engaging, and it explored issues with bullying and complicated family relationships. Despite some of the sad subject matter, I finished the book feeling hopeful and inspired.

I know a lot of other readers are hesitant to pick up novels in verse, but don’t let the format deter you from picking up this beautifully written book! I can see why this debut novel ended up on the Carnegie Medal shortlist. ( )
  SuperLibBlog | Jul 12, 2013 |
For Mum and Dad
The wheels on the suitcase break
Before we've even left Gdansk Glowny.

Twelve-year-old Kasienka and her mother have immigrated to Coventry, England from Poland, searching for Kasienka's father, but everyone is unfriendly except for an African neighbor and a boy Kasienka meets at the swimming pool, which is her only refuge from an alien society.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,607,103 books! | Top bar: Always visible