The Weight of Water by Sarah Crossan

The Weight of Water (original 2012; edition 2013)

by Sarah Crossan

Member:LyraSilvertongue
Title:The Weight of Water
Authors:Sarah Crossan
Info:Bloomsbury Childrens (2013), Paperback, 256 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:young adult, emigration, high school, bullying, swimming

The Weight of Water by Sarah Crossan (2012)

Heartbeat by Sharon Creech (celerydog)
    celerydog: novel-in-verse with teenage protagonist. Equally satisfying.

At first I thought this was going to be just another 'issues' book about an immigrant fitting in, written in free verse because that's kinda trendy right now (re' Inside Out and Back Again), and much of it is simply that. ?It's probably a pretty good book anyway.

?áBut the thing that gets me is that Mother dragged this little girl away from a happy life with her grandmother, to a new country with a new language, on a cockamamie scheme to find the father who skipped out on them. ?áAnd while hunting up and down the streets of London she drags the girl along as interpreter, and when tired she drinks. ?áAnd the girl blames herself for not being a good enough help-meet to mom?! ?áI'm sorry, our children are not our possessions. ?áWe need to be less selfish and do what's right for them, not what we just want. ?áAnd children should do what's right for them, and not be loyal to an adult who is acting like a child.

?á(And yes, I do know about this from personal experience, so don't preach at me in the comments if you disagree.) ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Really good novel in verse about a girl who moves to a England from Poland and is bulled at her new school. ( )
  ddbrown201 | Jan 23, 2016 |
This is a poignant little book about Kasienka, a young Polish girl who moves to England. Told in verse, the reader experiences Kasienka's pain and feelings of alienation as she is teased and bullied based on her appearance. Ultimately, however, her strength of spirit comes shining through despite everything she has to endure. A touching read about the experiences of one young immigrant. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 22, 2016 |
Response - This book is written in free verse. I am not used to this style of writing, but I think that the author did a beautiful job telling a complex story but using brevity of words. The topics and themes are difficult, so I'd recommend this book for middle school and up.

Curricular connection - I would choose bits and pieces of the book to use as examples if teaching poetry. I would also use sections to teach issues of immigration, alienation, and peer pressure.
  jegammon | Feb 19, 2015 |
When I first started this book, I was uncertain as I famously do not get on with poetry at all, and the entire novel was written in that style. I think that this really added to the uniqueness and emotion of the novel, which encouraged me into Kaseinka's shoes as she moved from Poland to Coventry in search of her father.
However, I do have to say that the raw emotion and feeling of the book, combined with the fact that it entailed no prose, was the only highlight of the book. In short, it was a story about a normal person, and a situation that people really live in - and although I would normally avoid such a book, this one surprised me.
I loved the main character, and the way her emotions were portrayed by the use of poetry as opposed to prose. I think it allowed us, as readers, to see much deeper into her mind, as instead of spending 80% of the book recounting what happened, a similar amount was spent showing us how Kasienka felt about everything that happened. And because the book was a poetry anthology, There was a lot more room for this and it made more sense to the reader to have such a vast amount of emotion, rather than in prose, which can sound repetitive and boring.
On my list of Carnegie books I want to win, I would place this second under "Code Name Verity". ( )
  ellsie98 | Nov 16, 2014 |
For Mum and Dad
The wheels on the suitcase break / Before we've even left Gdansk Glowny. / Mama knocks them on some steps and / Bang, crack, rattle - / No more use. / There are / plastic bits / Everywhere.

Twelve-year-old Kasienka and her mother have immigrated to Coventry, England from Poland, searching for Kasienka's father, but everyone is unfriendly except for an African neighbor and a boy Kasienka meets at the swimming pool, which is her only refuge from an alien society.… (more)

4 wanted4 pay1 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,682,795 books! | Top bar: Always visible