Close Enough to Kill by Beverly Barton

Close Enough to Kill (2006)

by Beverly Barton

This is book 2 of the Griffin Powell series. This one has a serial killer who thinks that each of his victims are his lovers...he courts them as a secret admirer before letting them know who he is.

This book is very well written and kept me turning the pages and wanting to see how the police would figure out who the killer was and how they captured him. My only negative things is that although it is part of the Griffin Powell series you do not hear about Griffin until the book is over half done and then only very briefly. Other then that it was very good and I ended up staying up late (11:00pm) a couple of nights reading because I couldn't put it down.
1 vote luvbug11 | Jul 29, 2011 |
LOVED IT! The # of pages to this book made me think it would last a while...Nope! Good, fast read. Romance, suspense, and intrigue - perfect combo =o) ( )
1 vote dananmissy | Apr 30, 2011 |
I have to admit I did like Sherrif Bernie Granger. She has problems, her father was Sherrif and his legacy is hard to break (add to it that he's still alive and her staff often look to him for leadership if he's around); she trying to break in a new officer, Jim Norton, who has moved to the area to be closer to his son; her sister who is chasing every guy in town and her mother's constant harping about the extra 20 pounds she's carrying.

Her small town changes when suddenly theres a serial killer in their midst, a man who seems to be killing a certain kind of woman, cruely and terribly. Making their lives a misery before eventualy killing them and moving on to the next with gifts and notes before kidnapping them.

I enjoyed the read, sad to see that the author is dead. I look forward to reading more by her but I'm sad that when I'm finished with them there will be no more. The characters appealed to me and I found them believable and fairly true-to-life ( )
1 vote wyvernfriend | Apr 27, 2011 |
To my husband, Billy... for the love, patience and TLC I've always been able to count on through our many years together
Please, dear God, let him kill me.

From Publishers Weekly

Barton (Killing Her Softly) is a veteran of romantic suspense, and it shows in her latest, a well-paced love story interwoven with a graphic portrait of a serial killer and rapist. When the body of a young, raven-haired beauty is found brutalized in Adams County, Ala., levelheaded sheriff Bernie Granger and her new chief deputy, divorced former Memphis detective Jim Norton, work overtime to prevent the killer from striking again. When a nearly identical crime is committed, the peaceful county goes into a tailspin. As Jim and Bernie work longer hours together, their feelings for each other deepen, especially as Bernie becomes involved in the life of Jim's son, Kevin. When a third local woman is killed, Bernie and Jim pull out all the stops to find the killer--before he gets bold enough to target them. The sleepy Adams County setting makes for a pleasant contrast to the unspeakable crimes committed there, and Barton captures the bucolic feel of smalltown life--complete with its shallow pool of eligible (and desirable) romantic partners. Barton succeeds in keeping the killer's identity a guessing game, making this a fun and satisfying page-turner. (July)
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

Review

"Smart, sexy and scary as hell. Beverly Barton just keeps getting better and better."

When the body of a young, raven-haired beauty is found brutalized in Adams County, Ala., levelheaded sheriff Bernie Granger and her new chief deputy, divorced former Memphis detective Jim Norton, work overtime to prevent the killer from striking again. When a nearly identical crime is committed, the peaceful county goes into a tailspin. As Jim and Bernie work longer hours together, their feelings for each other deepen, especially as Bernie becomes involved in the life of Jim's son, Kevin. When a third local woman is killed, Bernie and Jim pull out all the stops to find the killer"before he gets bold enough to target them.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,989,429 books! | Top bar: Always visible