Six Weeks by Fred Mustard Stewart

Maybe, if the focus had been more on the dying child, this would have been more satisfying & valid. But a politician with good intentions should not be messing with his career by messing with a tycoon/ heiress. Granted, they sometimes do so, but I didn't find it plausible for Bill to. Stewart did explore, briefly, the differences between love, lust, and infatuation - but left everyone still very messed up about same. And the ending, well, the spurned wife conveniently found her own, separate, life, and the politician decided to take care of the heiress and call it love, and the heiress decided that this schmuck is the man of her dreams, her fairy-tale prince charming. Just silly. I hope no young women, in the 70s when this was current, got their ideas about love from this.

Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
you will both laugh and cry over this book, if you like a book which will both make you laugh and reduce you to tears, you should read this book ( )
  bronwyn52 | Sep 6, 2008 |
I picked Six Weeks up at a library sale. The characters were not believable and the story seemed to go nowhere. The book is filled with tragedy, but these tragedies were treated as if they were simply a bump in the road to each character’s own selfish desires. While I was interested in the premise of the book, I found it very disappointing. ( )
  GeorgiaDawn | Oct 7, 2007 |
To Joan
When I first met Charlotte Dreyfus, I had no idea something was wrong.
Do you think I could kiss you instead of my Sony? It would really give me a kick. I've never kissed a politician before. Most of them look like Lon Chaney in 'Phantom of the Opera'. - Nicky Dreyfus.

Six Weeks is a love story. It is about a good and well-married man, his wife of eighteen years, and his discovery of a woman who can remake his life. It is also about her eleven-year-old daughter named Nicky, who has six weeks to live, and a lifetime of beauty and courage to give to those who will receive it. Nicky Dreyfus is a remarkable, and heartbreaking, creation. Readers of various ages are destined to laugh and to cry over her, and finally to be grateful to have known her.

(front flap, 1976 edition)

A man and a woman strike an uneasy detente to join forces to try to fulfill the fantasies of a perfect family for a 12 year-old with a life-threatening illness.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,380,507 books! | Top bar: Always visible