Dare Me by Megan E. Abbott

Info:Picador USA (2012), Hardcover, 256 pages
Collections:Library Loan, Audiobook, Read but unowned
Tags:Audobook, Cheerleaders, High School Drama

Dare Me by Megan Abbott

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (fannyprice)
    fannyprice: Undoubtedly these girls grow up to be like Gone Girl's main character.
    The Secret Place by Tana French (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: Teenage girls are more dangerous than you think.

I almost gave up on this novel several times. The prose is overwrought and I don't believe it as Addy's voice at all. Still, there's something intriguing about the relationships between teenage girls and their female teachers (or coaches, in this case) who are proximate to them in age and maturity. That's what kept me reading. None of the characters were people I would like in real life, although I had compassion for some of them. I kept waiting for something to ground me in the story, but instead I was like one of those cheer flyers, tossed into the air and expecting to land on my head. I was relieved when it was over. ( )
  HeatherMoss | Oct 14, 2015 |
A gripping, mean story about "mean girls" in a cheer leading squad. As the girls compete for positions ("high flyer" most coveted) they also compete for boys, attention, and each other's friendship. The pot is stirred even more when the new Coach (Collette French) arrives. At first, it seems Coach is just a Type A drill sergeant but she is not what she seems. Addy is the main character and while pretty and smart, she always feels #2 to Queen Bee "Beth." Throw in an illicit love affair (Coach and another adult), drinking, promiscuity, bad language, worse manners and it seems, according to this book, teenage girls are doomed. And, of yes, someone gets killed. Too tough, too jaded for this reader. ( )
  mjspear | Sep 15, 2015 |
Well, this was a pleasant surprise! First book by Megan Abbott that I've read. The surprise was that I read a book about cheerleaders and couldn't put it down! The other reviews tell the story, but rest assured, this is one exciting book! ( )
  Dianekeenoy | Aug 13, 2015 |
Compelling, unreliable sidekick meets irresponsible, unhappy wife/mother. Power struggles ensue between nasty girls. Characters may or may not be what they seem - are they manipulative or naive? The front flap tells you a suicide happens, but it takes too long for the plot to arrive there; I felt the pacing was off. The style was great, and because of that, I wouldn't be opposed to reading another work by the author. To describe it quickly, Gone Girl meets high school cheerleading. ( )
  readerspeak | Aug 10, 2015 |
Not sure what to make of this book. My first time reading the author, probably my last.
She is on the money about the jealousy, pettiness and envy of these young girls. Who committed the crime was easily figured.
And of course, all because of the underlying lesbian theme.
Nah, not for me.
A fast read for sure, but most children books usually are. ( )
  sogamonk | Jun 2, 2015 |
A crime novel about a team of high school cheerleaders narrated by a member of the team? You think it sounds like something for the Seventeen crowd? Think again.

In her previous four novels, Abbott has been expert at establishing dark but authentic moods in milieus foreign to most readers. With Dare Me, tensions among the cheerleading crowd lead to murder. Though little mystery surrounds the crime, the world of these adolescent queens —“air thick with Biofreeze and Tiger Balm and sugared coconut of tawny body sprays” — is creepily fascinating.
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Nov 16, 2012)
The curse of hell upon the sleek upstart
That got the Captain finally on his back
And took the red red vitals of his heart
And made the kites to whet their beaks clack clack.

~John Crowe Ransom
For my parents, who taught me ambition
"Something happened, Addy.  I think you better come."
There's something dangerous about the boredom of teenage girls.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316097772, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, August 2012: Oh my, these beautiful, terrible girls, with their "Aruba-tanned" legs and their ferocity and fears, for whom the smallest slights become life-and-death matters. This brilliantly dark and uncomfortably real story, sharp and suspenseful and chilling, made me desperately glad I have sons. The author is so attuned to the "witchiness of girls" and the drama of high school, and then she takes us to the darkest corners of that world. These aren't Mean Girls or Breakfast Club teens--more like Glee on steroids. Megan Abbott is a scary genius. Her voice is fierce and fearless. --Neal Thompson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:48 -0400)

After a suspicious suicide, the members of a high school cheerleading squad, along with their new, perfectly cool coach, Colette French, are drawn into the investigation.

Megan Abbott is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,953,229 books! | Top bar: Always visible