Dare Me by Megan E. Abbott

Collections:Library Loan, Audiobook, Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Audobook, Cheerleaders, High School Drama

Dare Me by Megan Abbott

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (fannyprice)
    fannyprice: Undoubtedly these girls grow up to be like Gone Girl's main character.
    The Secret Place by Tana French (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: Teenage girls are more dangerous than you think.

I'm thoroughly surprised by this book, and it's a testament to the power of Goodreads and friends' reviews on here: I never would have picked up this book if it hadn't been for that.

Abbott knows what she's doing: the lingo; the pacing; how the plot unfurls. What really intrigued me was how a book so rooted and reliant upon plot could be so well-written. The balance here is really seamless, and it makes for both an addictive read as well as a sly social critique; at the same time, it's a very real portrait—in a noir way—that shows the underbelly of glitter and pomp.

I think I may well move on to Bury Me Deep next. Dare Me was that good. ( )
  proustitute | Jul 17, 2014 |
Dare Me is a delightfully wicked, suspenseful and compelling crime novel set in the world of high-school cheerleaders. The prologue describes the discovery of a body and then the novel begins four months earlier, describing with increasing tension the sequence of events leading up to the murder, and ends somewhat later having described the aftermath.

But it is not really a whodunnit, in fact it is much more about the ultra-competitive, manipulative and sometimes vicious girls on the cheerleading squad, as recounted in the first person by the "Lieutenant" to the long-time team Captain Beth and the adopted close ally of the new coach. Beth is a compelling, charismatic and controlling figure who orchestrates much of the novel. But don't be fooled by the seemingly decent, bland narrator... ( )
  nosajeel | Jun 21, 2014 |
Started in audio, switched to print a little less than halfway through. The author relied heavily on her adjectives and description to create a sense of glittery menace, but I never quite felt it. Perhaps this has to do with the narrator, Addy Hanlon: she's the one doing the describing (it's first-person), but she has repressed certain memories and her perspective is necessarily subjective. Not only is the narrator slightly unreliable, but the people Addy is closest to are also unreliable: her dangerous and desperate friend Beth, the cheer captain until the new coach showed up; and Coach Colette French, who crosses all kinds of boundaries in relation to the girls on the team. Everyone's parents are absent.

The plot itself hinges on an apparent suicide that turns into a murder investigation, and Abbott does keep Addy (and the reader) guessing, with minimal facts and a lot of suspicion. Was it a suicide? Did one of the women he was seeing kill him (and if so, which one)? Or was it someone else? ( )
  JennyArch | May 9, 2014 |
This was exactly the kind of book I wanted it to be. I read this after reading RidgewayGirl's excellent review thereof. Dark and fairly salacious, unflinchingly frank about the violence that teenage emotions can inflict on others and how friendships between girls can often be pretty ugly. Sensationalistic? Yeah. Implausible and overly knotty plot? Yeah. But I didn't really care, I enjoyed being in it so much. It's what Gillian Flynn would have written if she wrote about high school. I'll definitely be reading more from Abbott. ( )
  fannyprice | Mar 4, 2014 |
dull and lifeless ( )
  ahappybooker | Feb 7, 2014 |
A crime novel about a team of high school cheerleaders narrated by a member of the team? You think it sounds like something for the Seventeen crowd? Think again.

In her previous four novels, Abbott has been expert at establishing dark but authentic moods in milieus foreign to most readers. With Dare Me, tensions among the cheerleading crowd lead to murder. Though little mystery surrounds the crime, the world of these adolescent queens —“air thick with Biofreeze and Tiger Balm and sugared coconut of tawny body sprays” — is creepily fascinating.
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Nov 16, 2012)

The curse of hell upon the sleek upstart
That got the Captain finally on his back
And took the red red vitals of his heart
And made the kites to whet their beaks clack clack.

~John Crowe Ransom
For my parents, who taught me ambition
"Something happened, Addy.  I think you better come."
There's something dangerous about the boredom of teenage girls.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316097772, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, August 2012: Oh my, these beautiful, terrible girls, with their "Aruba-tanned" legs and their ferocity and fears, for whom the smallest slights become life-and-death matters. This brilliantly dark and uncomfortably real story, sharp and suspenseful and chilling, made me desperately glad I have sons. The author is so attuned to the "witchiness of girls" and the drama of high school, and then she takes us to the darkest corners of that world. These aren't Mean Girls or Breakfast Club teens--more like Glee on steroids. Megan Abbott is a scary genius. Her voice is fierce and fearless. --Neal Thompson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:32 -0400)

After a suspicious suicide, the members of a high school cheerleading squad, along with their new, perfectly cool coach, Colette French, are drawn into the investigation.

Megan Abbott is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,311,382 books! | Top bar: Always visible