Dare Me by Megan E. Abbott

Collections:Library Loan, Audiobook, Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Audobook, Cheerleaders, High School Drama

Dare Me by Megan Abbott

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (fannyprice)
    fannyprice: Undoubtedly these girls grow up to be like Gone Girl's main character.
    The Secret Place by Tana French (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: Teenage girls are more dangerous than you think.

Not great but not bad...a very interesting cadence to this book. ( )
  mashiaraqcs | Mar 29, 2016 |
Cheerleaders, high school drama, murder and yet just meh. Could have been good but just didn't do it for me. I didn't like any of the characters. I didn't get their motivations and I didn't really care who did it or if they got caught. I really don't know what else to say. Other than I did manage to finish it. I think I just couldn't wait for it to be over so I could get on to a book I would enjoy.
  Jadedog13 | Feb 3, 2016 |
I almost gave up on this novel several times. The prose is overwrought and I don't believe it as Addy's voice at all. Still, there's something intriguing about the relationships between teenage girls and their female teachers (or coaches, in this case) who are proximate to them in age and maturity. That's what kept me reading. None of the characters were people I would like in real life, although I had compassion for some of them. I kept waiting for something to ground me in the story, but instead I was like one of those cheer flyers, tossed into the air and expecting to land on my head. I was relieved when it was over. ( )
  HeatherMoss | Oct 14, 2015 |
A gripping, mean story about "mean girls" in a cheer leading squad. As the girls compete for positions ("high flyer" most coveted) they also compete for boys, attention, and each other's friendship. The pot is stirred even more when the new Coach (Collette French) arrives. At first, it seems Coach is just a Type A drill sergeant but she is not what she seems. Addy is the main character and while pretty and smart, she always feels #2 to Queen Bee "Beth." Throw in an illicit love affair (Coach and another adult), drinking, promiscuity, bad language, worse manners and it seems, according to this book, teenage girls are doomed. And, of yes, someone gets killed. Too tough, too jaded for this reader. ( )
  mjspear | Sep 15, 2015 |
Well, this was a pleasant surprise! First book by Megan Abbott that I've read. The surprise was that I read a book about cheerleaders and couldn't put it down! The other reviews tell the story, but rest assured, this is one exciting book! ( )
  Dianekeenoy | Aug 13, 2015 |
A crime novel about a team of high school cheerleaders narrated by a member of the team? You think it sounds like something for the Seventeen crowd? Think again.

In her previous four novels, Abbott has been expert at establishing dark but authentic moods in milieus foreign to most readers. With Dare Me, tensions among the cheerleading crowd lead to murder. Though little mystery surrounds the crime, the world of these adolescent queens —“air thick with Biofreeze and Tiger Balm and sugared coconut of tawny body sprays” — is creepily fascinating.
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Nov 16, 2012)

The curse of hell upon the sleek upstart
That got the Captain finally on his back
And took the red red vitals of his heart
And made the kites to whet their beaks clack clack.

~John Crowe Ransom
For my parents, who taught me ambition
"Something happened, Addy.  I think you better come."
There's something dangerous about the boredom of teenage girls.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316097772, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, August 2012: Oh my, these beautiful, terrible girls, with their "Aruba-tanned" legs and their ferocity and fears, for whom the smallest slights become life-and-death matters. This brilliantly dark and uncomfortably real story, sharp and suspenseful and chilling, made me desperately glad I have sons. The author is so attuned to the "witchiness of girls" and the drama of high school, and then she takes us to the darkest corners of that world. These aren't Mean Girls or Breakfast Club teens--more like Glee on steroids. Megan Abbott is a scary genius. Her voice is fierce and fearless. --Neal Thompson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:48 -0400)

After a suspicious suicide, the members of a high school cheerleading squad, along with their new, perfectly cool coach, Colette French, are drawn into the investigation.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,259,481 books! | Top bar: Always visible