Dare Me by Megan E. Abbott

Collections:Library Loan, Audiobook, Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Audobook, Cheerleaders, High School Drama

Dare Me by Megan Abbott

Recently added bykarand, Y2Ash, msf59, private library, branimal, lloyd1175, recrawfo, hoelde
    Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (fannyprice)
    fannyprice: Undoubtedly these girls grow up to be like Gone Girl's main character.

This was exactly the kind of book I wanted it to be. I read this after reading RidgewayGirl's excellent review thereof. Dark and fairly salacious, unflinchingly frank about the violence that teenage emotions can inflict on others and how friendships between girls can often be pretty ugly. Sensationalistic? Yeah. Implausible and overly knotty plot? Yeah. But I didn't really care, I enjoyed being in it so much. It's what Gillian Flynn would have written if she wrote about high school. I'll definitely be reading more from Abbott. ( )
  fannyprice | Mar 4, 2014 |
dull and lifeless ( )
  ahappybooker | Feb 7, 2014 |
dull and lifeless ( )
  ahappybooker | Feb 7, 2014 |
Megan Abbott had me with the first book of hers that I read, Queenpin. Her books are tightly plotted novels about crime and darkness. Her early books are classic hard-boiled stories set in the thirties and forties, while her newer offerings are modern noir, but they share strong female protagonists and a writing style that doesn't waste a single word. Dare Me is set in the world of high school cheerleading, told from the point of view of a girl who describes herself as the best friend of the captain of the squad, a girl used to getting her way and who has a strong destructive streak. When the school hires a new coach for the cheerleading team, one who demands more from the girls than popularity and hip-popping dances, tensions arise.

This is much more than a story of cheerleaders gone bad. Abbott likes to look at the shiny surface of things, but she's then compelled to look at the dark places underneath and she's not afraid to show the reader everything. Cheerleaders are easy to mock or dismiss, but Abbott understands the motivations and emotions that cause a girl to work as hard as a competitive cheerleader does to excel, while also examining the place these girls have in high school social circles.

I prefer Abbott's old school noir to her novels with contemporary settings, but any book by Abbott is a reason to silence the cell phone and leave the laundry where it is for an evening. ( )
1 vote RidgewayGirl | Feb 1, 2014 |
I thought, during the first three discs of this reading, that I was listening just to a depiction of another one of the sicknesses that plague America, teenage bitchiness due to lack of parenting, bad parenting or uncontrolled schooldays. I almost gave up on it and might have had it not been for the inspired reading of Ms. Hvam. I am very pleased that I persevered with it and I wish to congratulate Ms. Abbott for a really well crafted piece of work. I need to listen to more of these modern women writers and get used to the way they put their stories together. ( )
  gmillar | Dec 30, 2013 |
A crime novel about a team of high school cheerleaders narrated by a member of the team? You think it sounds like something for the Seventeen crowd? Think again.

In her previous four novels, Abbott has been expert at establishing dark but authentic moods in milieus foreign to most readers. With Dare Me, tensions among the cheerleading crowd lead to murder. Though little mystery surrounds the crime, the world of these adolescent queens —“air thick with Biofreeze and Tiger Balm and sugared coconut of tawny body sprays” — is creepily fascinating.
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Nov 16, 2012)

The curse of hell upon the sleek upstart
That got the Captain finally on his back
And took the red red vitals of his heart
And made the kites to whet their beaks clack clack.

~John Crowe Ransom
For my parents, who taught me ambition
"Something happened, Addy.  I think you better come."
There's something dangerous about the boredom of teenage girls.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316097772, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, August 2012: Oh my, these beautiful, terrible girls, with their "Aruba-tanned" legs and their ferocity and fears, for whom the smallest slights become life-and-death matters. This brilliantly dark and uncomfortably real story, sharp and suspenseful and chilling, made me desperately glad I have sons. The author is so attuned to the "witchiness of girls" and the drama of high school, and then she takes us to the darkest corners of that world. These aren't Mean Girls or Breakfast Club teens--more like Glee on steroids. Megan Abbott is a scary genius. Her voice is fierce and fearless. --Neal Thompson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:32 -0400)

After a suspicious suicide, the members of a high school cheerleading squad, along with their new, perfectly cool coach, Colette French, are drawn into the investigation.

Megan Abbott is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,494,808 books! | Top bar: Always visible