Dare Me by Megan E. Abbott

Collections:Library Loan, Audiobook, Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Audobook, Cheerleaders, High School Drama

Dare Me by Megan Abbott

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (fannyprice)
    fannyprice: Undoubtedly these girls grow up to be like Gone Girl's main character.
    The Secret Place by Tana French (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: Teenage girls are more dangerous than you think.

Dare Me to care about a single character in this boring predictable book. I was surprised, I read The End Of Everything by this author and really liked it. This book seemed like a contractual obligation. The characters were a strange combination of mean boring and stupid. There was nothing about this book to make me care how it ended. Which by the way was predictable. ( )
  zmagic69 | Sep 11, 2014 |
Teenage girls scare the hell out of me.

That being said I'm so glad that I was a dork in high school. I don't think I want to be grouped in with these girls.
Megan Abbott does have a way of taking you into the dark side of those teenage years.

These aren't sweet little girls. This is not a young adult book. These girls plot, drink and have sex. You do know they do this in real life to don't you?
  bookqueenshelby | Sep 9, 2014 |
This is a book about bad people doing bad things. If you're hoping to see mean girls, this book is for you. If you're hoping to see said mean girls get their just desserts, then you're not going to find it here.

Dare Me starts off on a fairly good start. The cheerleading coach has to leave and the school is bringing in a new one. The old coach pretty much let the girls do what they want. And when I mean girls, I mean the captain. Beth. The Queen Bee of this novel and the group of teens.

But all that changes when the new coach arrives. She quickly dethrones Beth and becomes the leader of the pack. This might make for a interesting read, but to top it off it seems like the new Coach use to be the Queen Bee back in her hey day and seems to relish in being one again.

The girls are taken by Coach, including our narrator Addy. This makes Beth angry and she decides to seek revenge.

At this point, I was with the novel. Coach seems to have never grown up and while she is unhappy in her marriage, she seems to open up and love being the leader of teenagers. However, since she hasn't grown up herself, we see scenes with her bringing the cheerleaders to her house and letting them drink and smoke. Her husband seems concerned about this at first, but doesn't do anything.

Which makes me wonder where the parents are in this novel. Even though Coach is an adult, she doesn't behave like one and even calls Addy her best friend in this novel. Her relationship with Addy, and the girls in general, isn't healthy and her behaviour makes me wonder why the other teachers haven't done anything. Why her husband hasn't done anything. I mean, this is an adult who would rather spend her time with teenagers, instead of picking up her kid at daycare.

The parallel between her and Beth is fascinating though. It makes you wonder if Beth will grow up to be like Coach in the future.

That quickly changes though, when Beth decides to go into cray cray mode in order to take down Coach and bring Addy back to her side.

Dare Me isn't for the faint of heart. The behaviour of the teens and adults in this book is shocking and troubling. Everyone gets away with their bad behaviour, except one and even then said person was pretty much the only good one there.

Will you relate to any of the characters? I hope not. I sure didn't, but that didn't stop me from continuing to read this novel till the bitter end. ( )
  pdbkwm | Sep 8, 2014 |
I'm thoroughly surprised by this book, and it's a testament to the power of Goodreads and friends' reviews on here: I never would have picked up this book if it hadn't been for that.

Abbott knows what she's doing: the lingo; the pacing; how the plot unfurls. What really intrigued me was how a book so rooted and reliant upon plot could be so well-written. The balance here is really seamless, and it makes for both an addictive read as well as a sly social critique; at the same time, it's a very real portrait—in a noir way—that shows the underbelly of glitter and pomp.

I think I may well move on to Bury Me Deep next. Dare Me was that good. ( )
  proustitute | Jul 17, 2014 |
Dare Me is a delightfully wicked, suspenseful and compelling crime novel set in the world of high-school cheerleaders. The prologue describes the discovery of a body and then the novel begins four months earlier, describing with increasing tension the sequence of events leading up to the murder, and ends somewhat later having described the aftermath.

But it is not really a whodunnit, in fact it is much more about the ultra-competitive, manipulative and sometimes vicious girls on the cheerleading squad, as recounted in the first person by the "Lieutenant" to the long-time team Captain Beth and the adopted close ally of the new coach. Beth is a compelling, charismatic and controlling figure who orchestrates much of the novel. But don't be fooled by the seemingly decent, bland narrator... ( )
  nosajeel | Jun 21, 2014 |
A crime novel about a team of high school cheerleaders narrated by a member of the team? You think it sounds like something for the Seventeen crowd? Think again.

In her previous four novels, Abbott has been expert at establishing dark but authentic moods in milieus foreign to most readers. With Dare Me, tensions among the cheerleading crowd lead to murder. Though little mystery surrounds the crime, the world of these adolescent queens —“air thick with Biofreeze and Tiger Balm and sugared coconut of tawny body sprays” — is creepily fascinating.
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Nov 16, 2012)

The curse of hell upon the sleek upstart
That got the Captain finally on his back
And took the red red vitals of his heart
And made the kites to whet their beaks clack clack.

~John Crowe Ransom
For my parents, who taught me ambition
"Something happened, Addy.  I think you better come."
There's something dangerous about the boredom of teenage girls.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316097772, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, August 2012: Oh my, these beautiful, terrible girls, with their "Aruba-tanned" legs and their ferocity and fears, for whom the smallest slights become life-and-death matters. This brilliantly dark and uncomfortably real story, sharp and suspenseful and chilling, made me desperately glad I have sons. The author is so attuned to the "witchiness of girls" and the drama of high school, and then she takes us to the darkest corners of that world. These aren't Mean Girls or Breakfast Club teens--more like Glee on steroids. Megan Abbott is a scary genius. Her voice is fierce and fearless. --Neal Thompson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:32 -0400)

After a suspicious suicide, the members of a high school cheerleading squad, along with their new, perfectly cool coach, Colette French, are drawn into the investigation.

Megan Abbott is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,780,817 books! | Top bar: Always visible