Dare Me by Megan E. Abbott

Collections:Library Loan, Audiobook, Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Audobook, Cheerleaders, High School Drama

Dare Me by Megan Abbott

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (fannyprice)
    fannyprice: Undoubtedly these girls grow up to be like Gone Girl's main character.
    The Secret Place by Tana French (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: Teenage girls are more dangerous than you think.

This was a gripping, literary read that hooked me from the first page. I liked the dark characters, longing for something they couldn't define, trying to hurt others to alleviate their own pain. Addy's naivete was raw and real and I ached for her to open her eyes and see what was happening around her.

The writing is gorgeous, but that's also the book's only flaw -- the intelligent, eloquent prose didn't always ring true for the voice of a teenage girl, sometimes pulling me out of the story. Still, it was the only weakness and I couldn't put it down. Highly recommended.

CathrynGrant | Nov 21, 2014 |
This was a very intriguing and disturbing book. It explores the world of teenage cheerleaders, and before you groan, it is not a fluffy, over-sexed book about the lives of promiscuous high school girls. This book delves into the obsessiveness of female friendships, the dedication and pain of competitive cheerleading, and the dangers of forming inappropriate bonds with adult authority figures. I thought the plot was a little over-done at some points, but it did not take me away from the story. My high school experience was very different from these girls'; I was not a cheerleader or an athlete of any kind, I never had a desire to be popular, and I didn't have controlling friends. But this book made me think about how many girls (and guys) out there do have this experience, and how easy it would be to fall into this kind of life. I'm glad I read this now, as opposed to when I am a parent, because I would be terrified (haha). ( )
  kaylaraeintheway | Nov 10, 2014 |
Found a new author!! ( )
  Kappadeemom | Oct 27, 2014 |
Megan Abbott seems to have cornered the crazy teen-aged-girl market! Really enjoy another of her novels, The Fever... and Dare Me is in a similar vein. Enjoyable story of love, friendships, and cheer-leading! A fun read. ( )
  Randall.Hansen | Oct 24, 2014 |
Jessa raved about Abbott ages ago, and I've been meaning to read her ever since. Reading articles on her new book, The Fever, brought my simmering interest to a full boil. And I'm not the only one. Karen kidnapped me for a bookstore run and we both bought a copy of it. And we both devoured it.

The phrase that comes to mind (and I'm sure I read it somewhere) is cheerleader noir. It's dark, it's brooding. There are a lot of people making not particularly good choices with motivations often murky even to themselves. But there is a lot of girlness that Abbott gets and writes so well. I was never a cheerleader or in any sport past junior high, but I have had moments here and there where my body felt strong and it did just what I wanted to be able to taste the power of that in her writing. And let's face it. I've spent most my life as the lieutenant, the second-in-command to a more charismatic, forceful girl, though certainly never to one as troubled as Beth. I've felt that loyalty that gets tired, being sucked into parties or situations you think are a bad idea, done the penance for getting too close to another person or activity she doesn't approve of.

Abbott captures all that. In a story that's well paced, with high stakes, always pulling your forward, teasing you with another piece of the puzzle, into the gathering gloom. Smart, tense, impossible to put down. ( )
  greeniezona | Sep 20, 2014 |
A crime novel about a team of high school cheerleaders narrated by a member of the team? You think it sounds like something for the Seventeen crowd? Think again.

In her previous four novels, Abbott has been expert at establishing dark but authentic moods in milieus foreign to most readers. With Dare Me, tensions among the cheerleading crowd lead to murder. Though little mystery surrounds the crime, the world of these adolescent queens —“air thick with Biofreeze and Tiger Balm and sugared coconut of tawny body sprays” — is creepily fascinating.
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Nov 16, 2012)

The curse of hell upon the sleek upstart
That got the Captain finally on his back
And took the red red vitals of his heart
And made the kites to whet their beaks clack clack.

~John Crowe Ransom
For my parents, who taught me ambition
"Something happened, Addy.  I think you better come."
There's something dangerous about the boredom of teenage girls.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316097772, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, August 2012: Oh my, these beautiful, terrible girls, with their "Aruba-tanned" legs and their ferocity and fears, for whom the smallest slights become life-and-death matters. This brilliantly dark and uncomfortably real story, sharp and suspenseful and chilling, made me desperately glad I have sons. The author is so attuned to the "witchiness of girls" and the drama of high school, and then she takes us to the darkest corners of that world. These aren't Mean Girls or Breakfast Club teens--more like Glee on steroids. Megan Abbott is a scary genius. Her voice is fierce and fearless. --Neal Thompson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:32 -0400)

After a suspicious suicide, the members of a high school cheerleading squad, along with their new, perfectly cool coach, Colette French, are drawn into the investigation.

Megan Abbott is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,400,209 books! | Top bar: Always visible