Dare Me by Megan E. Abbott

Collections:Library Loan, Audiobook, Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Audobook, Cheerleaders, High School Drama

Dare Me by Megan Abbott

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (fannyprice)
    fannyprice: Undoubtedly these girls grow up to be like Gone Girl's main character.
    The Secret Place by Tana French (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: Teenage girls are more dangerous than you think.

Dare Me takes the reader into the world of cheerleading as portrayed by author Megan Abbott. Her peek at this girlie world reveals a dark underneath of backstabbing, obsessive, bulimic, over-exercised, athletic bitchery. Addy has always been Beth’s best friend and no one knows Beth like Addy. So the reader knows everyone should watch out when Addy is terrified as a new coach comes along and usurps Beth’s leadership role.

It took me a few chapters to settle into this book, as it is written entirely from Addy’s inner viewpoint and at first seemed to be quite fragmented. Having a lot of trust in this author, I kept going and was rewarded with a story that kept me on the edge of my seat. You knew right from the first that something bad was coming, the author slowly built the tension and showed us how far Beth was willing to go. Beth was a very interesting character, damaged, brittle, and having no empathy at all, this is a teen to beware of. In fact, it was difficult to have much sympathy for any of the characters which in no way lessened the impact of the book. Expecting one thing, the author continually surprised me with how the story developed.

Dare Me was, for me, a great read and I continue to be a fan of Megan Abbott. I realize that cheerleaders are not the shallow, vindictive creatures that this book would have you believe, but by stripping the glitter away and revealing the shallow, empty world underneath, the author was able to deliver a first class story of murder, revenge and obsession. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Apr 16, 2015 |
How far will you go to keep what you think what you think it's yours?? That's what Megan Abboot writes in her book. Worth the read ( )
  dom76 | Jan 7, 2015 |
This was a gripping, literary read that hooked me from the first page. I liked the dark characters, longing for something they couldn't define, trying to hurt others to alleviate their own pain. Addy's naivete was raw and real and I ached for her to open her eyes and see what was happening around her.

The writing is gorgeous, but that's also the book's only flaw -- the intelligent, eloquent prose didn't always ring true for the voice of a teenage girl, sometimes pulling me out of the story. Still, it was the only weakness and I couldn't put it down. Highly recommended.

CathrynGrant | Nov 21, 2014 |
This was a very intriguing and disturbing book. It explores the world of teenage cheerleaders, and before you groan, it is not a fluffy, over-sexed book about the lives of promiscuous high school girls. This book delves into the obsessiveness of female friendships, the dedication and pain of competitive cheerleading, and the dangers of forming inappropriate bonds with adult authority figures. I thought the plot was a little over-done at some points, but it did not take me away from the story. My high school experience was very different from these girls'; I was not a cheerleader or an athlete of any kind, I never had a desire to be popular, and I didn't have controlling friends. But this book made me think about how many girls (and guys) out there do have this experience, and how easy it would be to fall into this kind of life. I'm glad I read this now, as opposed to when I am a parent, because I would be terrified (haha). ( )
  kaylaraeintheway | Nov 10, 2014 |
Found a new author!! ( )
  Kappadeemom | Oct 27, 2014 |
A crime novel about a team of high school cheerleaders narrated by a member of the team? You think it sounds like something for the Seventeen crowd? Think again.

In her previous four novels, Abbott has been expert at establishing dark but authentic moods in milieus foreign to most readers. With Dare Me, tensions among the cheerleading crowd lead to murder. Though little mystery surrounds the crime, the world of these adolescent queens —“air thick with Biofreeze and Tiger Balm and sugared coconut of tawny body sprays” — is creepily fascinating.
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Nov 16, 2012)

The curse of hell upon the sleek upstart
That got the Captain finally on his back
And took the red red vitals of his heart
And made the kites to whet their beaks clack clack.

~John Crowe Ransom
For my parents, who taught me ambition
"Something happened, Addy.  I think you better come."
There's something dangerous about the boredom of teenage girls.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316097772, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, August 2012: Oh my, these beautiful, terrible girls, with their "Aruba-tanned" legs and their ferocity and fears, for whom the smallest slights become life-and-death matters. This brilliantly dark and uncomfortably real story, sharp and suspenseful and chilling, made me desperately glad I have sons. The author is so attuned to the "witchiness of girls" and the drama of high school, and then she takes us to the darkest corners of that world. These aren't Mean Girls or Breakfast Club teens--more like Glee on steroids. Megan Abbott is a scary genius. Her voice is fierce and fearless. --Neal Thompson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:32 -0400)

After a suspicious suicide, the members of a high school cheerleading squad, along with their new, perfectly cool coach, Colette French, are drawn into the investigation.

Megan Abbott is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,715,072 books! | Top bar: Always visible