Looking at Lincoln by Maira Kalman

Looking at Lincoln (edition 2012)

by Maira Kalman, Maira Kalman (Illustrator)

Member:akrause
Title:Looking at Lincoln
Authors:Maira Kalman
Other authors:Maira Kalman (Illustrator)
Info:Nancy Paulsen Books (2012), Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:biography, Abraham Lincoln, history, k-3

Looking at Lincoln by Maira Kalman

Audience: 2-5th grade
This is an interesting book about Lincoln told from the point of view of a young girl who admires him. It is an interesting way of presenting the book because usually other books about Lincoln are just facts stated by a narrator. I will share this even with younger readers because of the colorful pictures and the tone of the book. ( )
  ShantiR | Mar 20, 2014 |
I like her columns for the NY Times website a lot, and this is adapted from them. It doesn't quite work for me as a children's book. ( )
  MikeRhode | Feb 21, 2014 |
I love this book. It is so personal a love letter to Lincoln, so fresh, so humanizing, showing such consideration for a young audience. Good, readable notes at the back, plus sources. I love the line of eyesight on the cover and the last spread, inviting us to look at Lincoln, but also with Lincoln clearly looking back. What does he see in us, today? ( )
  MelissaZD | Dec 31, 2013 |
  MelissaZD | Dec 31, 2013 |
This seemed to be a very accurate story of Abraham Lincoln. His story is told by a little boy who wanted to know who was on the $5 bill. It's tells Abe's life in a way that is appropriate for young children to understand. I would read this book around Presidents Day to elementary and middle school children. ( )
  afussell | Nov 27, 2013 |

Wanting to know about the real man behind the sixteenth president's legendary character, a little girl learns about Lincoln's beliefs regarding universal freedom as well as lesser-known aspects of his life, from his love of Mozart and his wife's vanilla cake to his pet dog and the way he kept notes in his stovepipe hat.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,599,740 books! | Top bar: Always visible