Looking at Lincoln by Maira Kalman

Looking at Lincoln (edition 2012)

by Maira Kalman, Maira Kalman (Illustrator)

Member:akrause
Title:Looking at Lincoln
Authors:Maira Kalman
Other authors:Maira Kalman (Illustrator)
Info:Nancy Paulsen Books (2012), Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:biography, Abraham Lincoln, history, k-3

Looking at Lincoln by Maira Kalman

"Looking at Lincoln" by Maira Kalman is a book about Lincoln told from a young girl who is going to the library to learn more about Lincoln.He was a great man who ultimately lost his trying to free the slaves. The book tells that he was a lawyer before he was elected president. He also had a wife and kids. I loved how kid friendly this book was. The colors of the pages etc. History was never my favorite subject but Lincoln was always my favorite topic of the class. This book would be very important to read to the students because it will let them know of our history and of one of the best presidents in our history (in my opinion, the best president.)

Classroom extension ideas: On Presidents Day read this story and have the kids say what they liked most about Lincoln. Also, we could make Lincoln hats before reading the story so that we could wear them as we are learning about him.
  bm091113 | Jul 13, 2014 |
I liked it better the second time around. Gorgeous coloring and grade school students find the story very gripping. ( )
  Mad.River.Librarian | Apr 23, 2014 |
Audience: 2-5th grade
This is an interesting book about Lincoln told from the point of view of a young girl who admires him. It is an interesting way of presenting the book because usually other books about Lincoln are just facts stated by a narrator. I will share this even with younger readers because of the colorful pictures and the tone of the book. ( )
  ShantiR | Mar 20, 2014 |
I like her columns for the NY Times website a lot, and this is adapted from them. It doesn't quite work for me as a children's book. ( )
  MikeRhode | Feb 21, 2014 |
I love this book. It is so personal a love letter to Lincoln, so fresh, so humanizing, showing such consideration for a young audience. Good, readable notes at the back, plus sources. I love the line of eyesight on the cover and the last spread, inviting us to look at Lincoln, but also with Lincoln clearly looking back. What does he see in us, today? ( )
  MelissaZD | Dec 31, 2013 |

Wanting to know about the real man behind the sixteenth president's legendary character, a little girl learns about Lincoln's beliefs regarding universal freedom as well as lesser-known aspects of his life, from his love of Mozart and his wife's vanilla cake to his pet dog and the way he kept notes in his stovepipe hat.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,608,166 books! | Top bar: Always visible