Mrs. Kennedy and Me by Clint Hill

Mrs. Kennedy and Me

by Clint Hill

Other authors: Lisa McCubbin

2091755,966 (3.82)15

This is a first hand account of Cliff Hill's 3 years serving as the primary Secret Service agent to Mrs. Kennedy. It was a well written, very easy to read account of the daily life of Mrs. Kennedy. The "trash" (JFK's) numerous affairs were omitted. ( )
  tess_i_am48 | Jul 20, 2014 |
I had heard Clint Hill speaking on NPR about this book and was interested in the book. It was gentle, sad and respectful. One can hear the respect and love for the family in his narration. Seems to have been restorative for Mr. Hill to have written it and puts the Kennedys in a better light too. ( )
  EllenH | Mar 16, 2014 |
I suppose you can't criticize a book for doing what it said it would do: in this case, providing a Mr Hill's-eye-view of his life as a Secret Service agent protecting Mrs Kennedy during her White House years. We were indeed allowed close-up. However, this close-up proved to be a bit of a list of names (rich ones) and places (expensive ones) as Mr Hill itemized his itineraries dogging Mrs Kennedy's footsteps. He was clearly a top-knotch Secret Service agent - dedicated to his job and, in this case, apparently somewhat infatuated with his charge. Therefore, it was particularly disappointing to read about the way in which Mrs Kennedy exploited her position vis a vis Mr Hill, asking him to go beyond his call of duty, to do her present-shopping, buy her magazines, ride to hounds, water-ski, play tennis and generally behave like the rich boys she was used to having by her side. How was he supposed to say 'no'? I was expecting action-packed days as Mr Hill was tested to his limits protecting his charge so that she could conduct her arduous duties as First Lady without fear or threat. However, as it turned out, it was more an 1960s version of Upstairs Downstairs.
  Miribooks | Feb 25, 2014 |
Keeping this story to himself all these years nearly killed Mr. Hill. It clearly required a great sum of courage and grace to finally share it with the world. His dedication and loyalty to the former first family is moving, to say the least. This was a fascinating read, especially all of the details he managed to include regarding Secret Service protocol leading up to and including that horrific day. I was touched by the fact that he'd always kept Mrs. Kennedy's smoking habit a secret and saddened by all the sacrifices he made in his personal life. It's a heartbreaking journey. Hill never holds back, yet he somehow remains ever the consummate professional, a man of true character.
  drhichamriba | Feb 18, 2014 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I was only 9 years old when JFK was killed, so I didn't know much about Jackie at the time. I followed some of the news reports about her later when she married Onassis, then some about her work in the publishing industry, & finally when she died of cancer. I never really felt like I knew her until I read Mrs. Kennedy and Me.

Secret Service agent Clint Hill kept such meticulous notes during his years with Jackie that, even 50 years after JFK died, he made me see Jackie through his eyes. I felt her personality come alive and I came to have a real admiration for her coping with life as the First Lady and afterwards as the widow of an assassinated President. She truly made his legacy much more than it would have been had he married someone else.

I should also report that Clint Hill's co-author, Lisa McCubbin, is probably the one who made this book so extremely readable amidst all of the facts & details that were part of a Secret Service agent's job. I was glad to read that this book finally allowed Mr. Hill (as Jackie always called him) to start living again after years of feeling that he had failed in his job of protecting the President. He did his upmost to keep both the President and his wife safe from harm in a difficult situation. ( )
  okjlsaz | Feb 6, 2014 |

Clint Hillprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McCubbin, Lisasecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to the men and women of the U.S. Secret Service, both past and present, who have continued to steadfastly provide protection for the leadership of this great country as well as its financial interests. Your unwavering and selfless dedication to duty set an example for all to follow. I am proud but humble to have served among your ranks.

And to Caroline Kennedy, known as "Lyric" to the agents and "Buttons" to your father. I sincerely hope that many of the stories in this book bring back fond memories of your years in the White House. Your father adored you and John, and as well you know, your mother was extraordinary--a lady in every sense of the word.
It was with great trepidation that I apprached 3307 N Street in Georgetown on November 11, 1960.
"You aint learning anything when you're talking."

(This quote was on the wall of the Head of the Secret Service office where Clint Hill had been summoned at the beginning of the book.)

"For four years, from the election of John Fitzgerald Kennedy in November 1960 until after the election of Lyndon Johnson in 1964, Clint Hill was the Secret Service agent assigned to guard the glamorous and intensely private Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy. During those four years, he went from being a reluctant guardian to a fiercely loyal watchdog and, in many ways, her closest friend."… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,498,009 books! | Top bar: Always visible