Necromancing the Stone by Lish McBride

Necromancing the Stone (edition 2012)

by Lish McBride

Member:ewyatt
Title:Necromancing the Stone
Authors:Lish McBride
Info:Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 352 pages
Tags:humor, paranormal, supernatural, revenge, sequel

Necromancing the Stone by Lish McBride

This review may contain spoilers for the previous book [Hold Me Closer, Necromancer]. Read at your own peril.

Sam is starting to get used to his role as a necromancer. Sure his werewolf girlfriend's pack would love to tear him into tiny pieces half the time, his best friend is a were-bear (and it's Sam's fault), and the gnomes at the house he's inherited may kill him in his sleep but on the spectrum of how things are going it's pretty decent on the whole. Until someone close to Sam is killed and no one can figure out who it was or how they did it. Now Sam needs to prove himself to the whole magical community, try to keep his friends and family safe, and find a murderer. Nothing like an impossible ask.

It's been a few years since I read the first book but I was able to pick up this book and not feel like I was missing details. Sam's voice is still sarcastic and delightfully charming and the magical world that McBride has created is just the right level of dark. I giggled out loud at several points (I adore the warrior gnomes), which is always a good sign. I also felt pleased every time I knew the song that is referenced in each of the chapter titles. While I knew how the larger conflict would be resolved at least thirty pages before it happened, it didn't diminish my enjoyment of the narrative. If you liked the first book, definitely pick up this one. ( )
  MickyFine | Sep 28, 2014 |
So many crazy weird characters but some how it works. A great continuation of the first. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |

*Book source ~ Local library

Samhain ‘Sam’ LaCroix defeated Douglas ‘Uber Psycho’ Montgomery in Hold Me Closer, Necromancer and he’s trying to adjust to his new life of being the resident Necromancer. He has inherited all that Douglas owned including his seat on the Council. Sam, who until six weeks ago didn’t even know he was a necromancer, has no clue what is going on or what he’s supposed to be doing. And since necromancers are pretty rare he doesn’t really have anyone to learn from. Well, he could probably learn from his Uncle Nick, but even if he could find him, Sam is still mad at him. So, he stumbles and bumbles his way through his new way of living until a death throws a wrench into the works. Now, Sam needs to find out who and how they committed the murder as well as discover who is threatening his sister. Some days he wishes he was still flipping burgers for a living.

This story is fast-paced and well-written with humor aplenty. The plot is on the thin side, but frankly I don’t care. I was highly entertained with everything going on in Sam’s life. The characters, for me, really make the story. The gnomes and all of the garden security, the Council, James, Ramon, Frank and Ashley as well as many others are fun to read. The ending was a tad cheesy, but again, I don’t care. I loved this book and would definitely read more about Sam’s adventures. ( )
  AVoraciousReader | Apr 7, 2014 |
That tattoo must be something awful! ( )
  sbinifera | Nov 8, 2013 |
Necromancing the Stone was enjoyable but I didn't enjoy it quite as much as the first. I thought that Sam would learn how to use his newfound powers but he spends most of the book struggling to grow into his new role as Council Leader. The last few chapters of the book are the best because you can see Sam is much more mature and self aware. He seems to be comfortable with his powers and realizes he doesn't have to lead the same way as Douglas did, he can have his own style and techniques. Overall, this was well written and humorous but it seemed more filler than filling. 3 stars ( )
  68papyrus | Jun 27, 2013 |
To Fatty. Ha ha—sucker!
I tasted blood as I went down.

With the defeat of the evil Douglas behind him, Sam LaCroix is getting used to his new life. Okay, so he hadn’t exactly planned on being a powerful necromancer with a seat on the local magical council and a capricious werewolf sort-of-girlfriend, but things are going fine, right?

Well . . . not really. He’s pretty tired of getting beat up by everyone and their mother, for one thing, and he can’t help but feel that his new house hates him. His best friend is a werebear, someone is threatening his sister, and while Sam realizes that he himself has a lot of power at his fingertips, he’s not exactly sure how to use it. Which, he has to admit, is a bit disconcerting.

But when everything starts falling apart, he decides it’s time to step up and take control. His attempts to do so just bring up more questions, though, the most important of which is more than a little alarming: Is Douglas really dead?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:28 -0400)

Six weeks after escaping from the necromancer Douglas, Sam LaCroix is under the protection of the Blackthorn pack of werewolves and fey hounds and unsure if his necromancer rival is dead.

25 wanted1 pay1 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,495,901 books! | Top bar: Always visible