Necromancing the Stone by Lish McBride

Necromancing the Stone (edition 2012)

by Lish McBride

Member:ewyatt
Title:Necromancing the Stone
Authors:Lish McBride
Info:Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 352 pages
Tags:humor, paranormal, supernatural, revenge, sequel

Necromancing the Stone by Lish McBride

Irreverent, full of pop culture references and jokes, and utterly hilarious, Sam is back again, this time as a full-blown necromancer and living on a newly inherited estate with his friends, some helpful agents of the dead, and a house spirit who is equally disdainful and despairing of his new master. Oh, and the gnomes who campaign for beer and internet access.

As Sam adjusts to his new circumstances, new things keep conspiring to keep him off balance: his new position as Council member (he has no idea what he's doing), his new money (he has no idea what to do with it), and, naturally, a murder that he must solve before he gets torn to shreds by a pack of angry werewolves. So, situation normal then.

If the previous had shades of Reaper, the TV show, the sequel is Reaper meets The Dresden Files - Sam riffs quips off of his friends, there are gnome-related puns, Canadian gladiators, and Sexy Gary to contend with in this novel, and everything is amped past the point of ridiculousness. Our sarcastic hero is lovable and sympathetic, and thankfully McBride chooses to have an outside villain to contend with, rather than the tired "I mustn't let my friends know of this cool new superpower!" which crops up so often in these types of stories (when, really, wouldn't calling your friend immediately to tell them be the first thing most people would do?). Her characters are immensely likable, and though some of the jokes can feel a little forced, more of them hit true.

The plot resolution is telegraphed fairly early, but the ride is immensely entertaining, and the new character McBride introduces are fun and off-beat. Additionally, McBride shows the sort of savvy for audience satisfaction; yes, Sam is woefully outclassed in some matters, ignorant in most, but occasionally he gets that kickass moment that makes you put the book down on your lap and sigh in utter contentment.

While the first was fun, this one amps everything up and adds in liberal amounts of ridiculousness, culminating in a very fun, very entertaining sequel. ( )
  kittyjay | Apr 23, 2015 |
This review may contain spoilers for the previous book [Hold Me Closer, Necromancer]. Read at your own peril.

Sam is starting to get used to his role as a necromancer. Sure his werewolf girlfriend's pack would love to tear him into tiny pieces half the time, his best friend is a were-bear (and it's Sam's fault), and the gnomes at the house he's inherited may kill him in his sleep but on the spectrum of how things are going it's pretty decent on the whole. Until someone close to Sam is killed and no one can figure out who it was or how they did it. Now Sam needs to prove himself to the whole magical community, try to keep his friends and family safe, and find a murderer. Nothing like an impossible ask.

It's been a few years since I read the first book but I was able to pick up this book and not feel like I was missing details. Sam's voice is still sarcastic and delightfully charming and the magical world that McBride has created is just the right level of dark. I giggled out loud at several points (I adore the warrior gnomes), which is always a good sign. I also felt pleased every time I knew the song that is referenced in each of the chapter titles. While I knew how the larger conflict would be resolved at least thirty pages before it happened, it didn't diminish my enjoyment of the narrative. If you liked the first book, definitely pick up this one. ( )
  MickyFine | Sep 28, 2014 |
So many crazy weird characters but some how it works. A great continuation of the first. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |

*Book source ~ Local library

Samhain ‘Sam’ LaCroix defeated Douglas ‘Uber Psycho’ Montgomery in Hold Me Closer, Necromancer and he’s trying to adjust to his new life of being the resident Necromancer. He has inherited all that Douglas owned including his seat on the Council. Sam, who until six weeks ago didn’t even know he was a necromancer, has no clue what is going on or what he’s supposed to be doing. And since necromancers are pretty rare he doesn’t really have anyone to learn from. Well, he could probably learn from his Uncle Nick, but even if he could find him, Sam is still mad at him. So, he stumbles and bumbles his way through his new way of living until a death throws a wrench into the works. Now, Sam needs to find out who and how they committed the murder as well as discover who is threatening his sister. Some days he wishes he was still flipping burgers for a living.

This story is fast-paced and well-written with humor aplenty. The plot is on the thin side, but frankly I don’t care. I was highly entertained with everything going on in Sam’s life. The characters, for me, really make the story. The gnomes and all of the garden security, the Council, James, Ramon, Frank and Ashley as well as many others are fun to read. The ending was a tad cheesy, but again, I don’t care. I loved this book and would definitely read more about Sam’s adventures. ( )
  AVoraciousReader | Apr 7, 2014 |
That tattoo must be something awful! ( )
  sbinifera | Nov 8, 2013 |
To Fatty. Ha ha—sucker!
I tasted blood as I went down.

With the defeat of the evil Douglas behind him, Sam LaCroix is getting used to his new life. Okay, so he hadn’t exactly planned on being a powerful necromancer with a seat on the local magical council and a capricious werewolf sort-of-girlfriend, but things are going fine, right?

Well . . . not really. He’s pretty tired of getting beat up by everyone and their mother, for one thing, and he can’t help but feel that his new house hates him. His best friend is a werebear, someone is threatening his sister, and while Sam realizes that he himself has a lot of power at his fingertips, he’s not exactly sure how to use it. Which, he has to admit, is a bit disconcerting.

But when everything starts falling apart, he decides it’s time to step up and take control. His attempts to do so just bring up more questions, though, the most important of which is more than a little alarming: Is Douglas really dead?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:45 -0400)

Six weeks after escaping from the necromancer Douglas, Sam LaCroix is under the protection of the Blackthorn pack of werewolves and fey hounds and unsure if his necromancer rival is dead.

36 wanted1 pay1 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,930,148 books! | Top bar: Always visible