Baby's in Black: Astrid Kirchherr,…

by Arne Bellstorf

Member:brenpike
Title:Baby's in Black: Astrid Kirchherr, Stuart Sutcliffe, and The Beatles in Hamburg
Authors:Arne Bellstorf
Info:First Second (2012), Edition: Reprint, Hardcover, 208 pages
Collections:Your library, TIOLI 2012
Tags:biography, 7/12

Baby's in Black: Astrid Kirchherr, Stuart Sutcliffe, and The Beatles in Hamburg by Arne Bellstorf

English (14)  Danish (2)  All (16)
I read so few graphic novels that it really isn't fair for me to rate or review them. You need a good story and you need good artwork to make me happy. The artwork here, with just a couple exceptions, I thought was rather bland. It didn't hit me with any emotional impact and it felt repetitive and unexciting. The story starts with Klaus Voorman finding the Beatles playing in a club in Hamburg in October 1960. He tells his ex-girlfriend Astrid that she must come see them with him the next night. The story ends on April 10, 1962 with the sudden death of Stu Sutcliffe.

I approached the book with a bit of excitement but was ultimately disappointed. I love the Beatles but can't recommend this. ( )
  RBeffa | Oct 28, 2016 |
A mediocre book about Stu and the early days of the Beatles. Nothing special ( )
  Hassanchop | Jul 4, 2016 |
I have very limited knowledge of The Beatles, and I didn't even know about Astrid Kirchherr before reading this book. Basically, for that purpose, it was a nice sort of introduction to people I knew little of. I will say it sparked my interest enough for me to want to explore The Beatles - if not for their music, then for their iconic presence. Aside from the story, I love the idea of a memoir in a graphic novel format. And I really like Arne Bellstorf's art style, it's quite inspirational to me in itself. However, I suppose I felt like it wasn't the perfect art style to tell this story. What I really feel was lacking was emotions, I could never tell what Astrid or any other character for that matter, felt in the moment. Because of the lack of emotion captured in the art, it also didn't have an impact on me. I didn't feel emotionally attached, and even the end just swept over me. To sum it up, I enjoyed reading this for the art and the story, but it didn't grab me or effect me in any deeper way. ( )
  zombiehero | Mar 25, 2016 |
Anyone looking for more material to fire up their Beatle mania?

It’s 1960 in Hamburg, Germany and there aren’t many people who have heard of The Beatles yet. Astrid Kirchherr’s ex-boyfriend drags her to a seedy club just to see them. She’s immediately drawn to them, particularly Stuart. What follows is a melancholy love story. I’m sure this story is nothing new to well-researched Beatles fans. It’s just a new way of telling it. Bellstorf does a fantastic job weaving song lyrics throughout this book, and I did feel a connection to the Astrid and Stuart. The art, however, didn’t match up for me. It was mostly frames of black turtlenecks, dangling cigarettes, and broody stares. He’s certainly talented; I just wanted a little more variety. The art never felt like it was helping to tell the story.

I would have preferred to read this novel in narrative form. Still, if you’re looking for some material on The Beatles in their early years, you might want to check this out. ( )
  LauraAshlee | May 27, 2013 |
Love this graphic novel story about the romance between German photographer Astrid Kirchherr and the legendary "fifth Beatle," Stu Sutcliff who died in 1962. This is also a good portrait of the Beatles in Hamburg before they hit the big time. ( )
  Sullywriter | Apr 3, 2013 |
Grosse Freheit
October 1960
"Klaus?"
"You won't believe where I've just come from!"

Retells the love story between Astrid Kirchherr and Stuart Sutcliffe, the famed "fifth Beatle," who started the band with John Lennon and left to become an artist before the band's rise to fame.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,783,223 books! | Top bar: Always visible