dismiss

Cress

by Marissa Meyer

Series: Lunar Chronicles (3)

Cinder and Captain Thorne are fugitives on the run, now with Scarlet and Wolf in tow. Together, they're plotting to overthrow Queen Levana and prevent her army from invading Earth. Their best hope lies with Cress, a girl trapped on a satellite since childhood who's only ever had her netscreens as company.… (more)

English (232)  German (1)  All languages (233)
The third installment of the Lunar Chronicles introduces us to Cress, the mysterious hacker from [b:Cinder|11235712|Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1)|Marissa Meyer|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1470056948l/11235712._SY75_.jpg|15545385]. Her mission from the Lunars who exiled her is to collect information on those on Earth who threaten Luna and its inhabitants, including Cinder and her crew. Cress's own mission, however, is to find a way to get to Earth and save Cinder from Queen Levana.

Cress is girlier than the Cinder and Scarlet, loves singing and acting, and also has a talent for hacking. She's dreamy and a bit naive, but I felt like this suited her personality. The author succeeds at folding Cress seamlessly into the existing storyline. Cress grows into a vivid and surprisingly strong protagonist who fills a worthy place among her fellow heroines Cinder and Scarlet. Cress’s growth also facilitates a compelling arc for her accidental companion Carswell Thorne, as the brash captain finds more than he bargained for in the unwitting role of Cress’s “Prince Charming.”

The continued development of Cinder is important throughout Cress. Forced by her heritage to lead a rebellion against the Lunar queen, Cinder’s struggles and strength continue to ground her as the emotional center of the series, and her development continues to drive the rest of the plot forward.

A compelling and thoroughly enjoyable third installment in this most unusual fairytale retelling, Cress will leave readers anxious to read the conclusion of The Lunar Chronicles. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Jul 2, 2020 |
So though I found this book to be freaking fantastic (yes seriously) I still only gave it 3.5 stars. I really did struggle with that since I enjoyed so many parts of it. The problem is though that a lot of the momentum of the story slowed down way too much for me. And there was a problem with including every cast of character's thoughts and feelings. I think to have this be a stronger book/series I would have just focused on the three female leads for this book (Cinder, Scarlet, and Cress). Book number four we already know that we will be getting the character of Winter so then you could have her included as a point of view while switching back and forth between the three other characters.

The plot of Cress has our fabulous crew consisting of Cinder, Captain Thorne, Iko (now the ship's computer), Scarlet, and Wolf going to rescue Cress who they find out has been held prisoner on a satellite. Cress has been doing her best to lead the Lunar soldiers/agents away from Cinder's group, but now cannot wait to finally be able to leave the satellite and see Earth. Too bad things go awry and for most of the book we have our gang all separated doing their best to get back to each other.

The main character of Cress is Cress. We find out that she is a Lunar and "shell" that was given away at an early age to serve one of Queen Levana's people. Cress is modeled after the character of Rapunzel from Grimm's Fairy Tales. We find out that she has long golden hair and really doesn't know anything about the outside world since she has been held captive for years. Due to this, Cress is naive. Her naivety is charming at first. However, towards the end of the book she started to grate. Perhaps it is because she started acting as if Wolf was some sort of crazed killer and I was over it. Wolf is the best. Full-stop.

Just like the previous books in the Lunar Chronicles, Ms. Meyer does showcase the lead (Cress) but we also get third person points of view by other characters such as Cinder, Scarlet, Captain Thorne, Dr. Erland, and Emperor Kai.

Cinder's character is definitely a lot stronger in this book. We get more description of what her powers allow her to do, and she is training with Wolf when we first start in order to be able to get the upper hand on Queen Levana and the soldiers she commands. Cinder is still thinking of Kai and wants to do whatever it takes to stop him from marrying Levana.

Scarlet I have to say totally grew on me in this book. She irked me a lot in book number 2 and it drove me crazy that even though she knew how dangerous things were she kept doing it and putting herself and others in danger. This book a lot of things happen to Scarlet. Enough things happen that I wonder how will things end for her in Winter. I felt like a lot of the other characters were in a situation that they did not realize how dangerous it could be, Scarlet definitely knows at this point, and you have to wonder how willing is she going to be to put herself out there for Cinder to rule someday.

We do get some information about Captain Thorne and his interactions with Cress actually make him much more lovable a character. He was so annoying in the last book. I had worries that Ms. Meyer was trying to set up a love triangle (thank goodness for that not happening). I think that Thorne and Cress together do make sense. I just wish that I didn't find Cress as exciting as dish-water.

We also find out a lot more about Dr. Erland's past and it really did crack me up how sarcastic he often was to Cinder about all of her planning. I wish that we had gotten more scenes between him and everyone else. I felt like sometimes Dr. Erland was off doing things and no one was noticing.

We don't get much from Wolf this book (read to find out why) and we get a lot from Kai again. Kai's points of view were so boring. It slowed down the entire book and since Ms. Meyer does cut away a lot to him that was still pretty big pieces of the book. It's not until the end that Kai rises to "interesting" for me. I hope his character improves in the last book since he has not been impressing me at all in books 2 and 3.

And as I said the large number of characters is one of the reasons why I had a problem with giving this book a higher rating than 3.5. There were some parts of the story that did not work at all (going back to Kai and what he was up to and thinking could have been cut entirely). As I said above, to make it stronger I would have just had the three female leads which actually would have led to more of Scarlet's plot being included in this book. Even though I like Dr. Erland, there was no need to keep showcasing him too.

The writing I think was improved in this book. We get more descriptions and explanations for a lot of things. I can actually picture this world the characters inhabit now. The science fiction and fairy tale aspect are done quite well in this book. I thought that book number 2 really did not have much of the Little Red Riding Hood fairy tale elements in it when you compare it to Grimms Fairy Tale. This one really did showcase the fairy tale of Rapunzel and included so many elements from Star Wars that it all worked together perfectly.

I have to say though I don't understand what Marissa Meyer's final play is here (which is good) there have been enough comments about Lunar's power's corrupting so I don't know if we are going to get a big showdown between Cinder and Levana.

One of the main reasons why I want to read Fairest is that it hints at readers gaining some sympathy for Levana (just like Darth Vader) so I don't know how much this is going to compare to the Sailor Moon anime.

The pacing was definitely a problem. Due to certain events taking place I found myself getting slowly disinterested in Cinder's plot and then eventually Cress's. I wanted to get more details about Scarlet. I felt as if I was reading several books in just one. I think that including Kai's wedding details and meeting with a wedding planner, etc. just slowed everything down to a standstill.

The settings move constantly (satellite, ship, desert, Africa, New Beijing) and I found myself more intrigued by the Lunar court and the goings on there than anything that was happening on Earth.

The ending was pretty great. I was surprised to see how the story just ended on such a big event and now I hope that all of our heroes will in the end be safe and rule Earth and Lunar.
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
AHHHHHHHHHHH JUST AHHHHHHHHHHHH ( )
  seraynea | Jun 29, 2020 |
Okay, so I like the female characters who actually have skills and the ability to protect/save themselves (even though most of the time, it's the men who do the saving), but the effect is lessened by the fact that every single one of them seeks emotional comfort from their romantic relationships to men. There are really only three female friendships in this series so far, one between a human and an android and two in which one of the parties is being held captive or otherwise owned by the other, and even these revolve around conversations about male characters.

I have nothing against romance in fiction (okay, maybe I'm a little bit against it because it sets up an unrealistic expectation for young women who are already poised to seek out excitement and fluttery hearts and being swept off their feet when lasting romantic relationships are more about balancing the checkbook and who's going to take out the garbage, with a little of the weak-knees stuff thrown in there when there's five minutes to spare between Netflix and bedtime), but can't there be something besides romantic relationships in a novel? Now that my daughter (and my son) is reading all of these YA novels, I would really love for her to see examples of positive, supportive female friendships.

This series---at least in the first 3/4 of it---doesn't remotely offer this. I don't think it would even pass the Bechdel test.

Aside from the relationship stuff, this novel was readable but pretty predictable. The foreshadowing is so obvious, I can almost hear the dramatic music as the camera pans in. That said, I'm already reading the fourth book, so who's the sucker in this scenario? ( )
  ImperfectCJ | Jun 28, 2020 |
This review may contain spoilers for previous books in the series.

Cress is a retelling of Rapunzel, though in this incarnation of the tale she’s not locked in a tower, but a satellite. Cress, the character, is a so-called shell – a lunar without a gift and by most people believed to be dead – who is really skilled with computers and is therefore given the task to spy on Earth and also hide Lunar ships from Earth radars. But Cress dreams of leaving her small home and discover life, and decides to join in Cinder’s revolution-to-be.

In the beginning of this book our old friends set out to rescue Cress, but things don’t go as planned and the party is separated. Cress and Captain Thorne crash in the Sahara desert and from there the story goes. It’s interesting to see how Meyer weaves in elements from the fairy tales into her retellings, for example in the traditional Rapunzel tale the prince goes temporary blind, as does Thorne in this book.

I like Cress better than Scarlet, the sci-fi elements are more pronounced here and the overall story moves forward much more (whilst in Scarlet there were moments of stand-still). I won’t spoil the ending of Cress, but it’s very clear we’re nearing the final confrontation and the tension rises (I started the next book immediately after finishing this one). We also meet the two lunar characters that will play big roles in the next instalment in the series; Jacin, a lunar guard with questionable loyalties, and Winter, the lunar queen’s stepdaughter…who is also mad. No really, Winter is totally nuts and I love her!

As with the rest of the series, Cress is pretty much the equivalent of a popcorn movie: fast, feel-good action and excitement that will satisfy the adventurous part of your brain for an evening.
  LadyDarbanville | Jun 28, 2020 |

Marissa Meyerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Deas, RichCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O., MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soler, RebeccaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tuosto, FilomenaFeiwel and Friends Logo Designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When she was just a child, the witch locked her away in a tower that had neither doors or stairs.
For Jojo, Meghan, and Tamara
*high fives*
Her satellite made one full orbit around planet Earth every sixteen hours.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,125,078 books! | Top bar: Always visible