Cress (Lunar Chronicles) by Marissa Meyer

Cress (Lunar Chronicles) (edition 2014)

by Marissa Meyer

Member:terriko
Title:Cress (Lunar Chronicles)
Authors:Marissa Meyer
Info:Feiwel & Friends (2014), Hardcover, 560 pages
Rating:*****

Cress by Marissa Meyer

I'll admit that I absolutely adored Cinder and Scarlet, and I was worried that Cress wouldn't hold up to my expectations. After all, not many authors can keep up the quality throughout a whole series. Why did I question Marissa Meyer? She's never written anything short of amazing! Cress was everything I was looking forward to and more.

In Cress, we're introduced to Crescent Moon, a perfectly average Lunar teenager. Wait, no. That's not right. Cress is far from your average teenager, Lunar or otherwise. For one, she's Queen Levana's main hacker, responsible for keeping an eye on the Commonwealth and ensuring that Lunar surveillance isn't detected. As if that isn't enough, she's been locked up, all alone, in a satellite for most of her life! She keeps herself busy by following the feeds on Kai, Cinder, Thorne, and the rest of the crew of the Rampion, dreaming that one day Thorne will realize she's a true damsel in distress and be compelled to save her.

I can't say much more than that about the plot without giving away major spoilers, so I'll just say that Cress is pretty great. The beloved cast of characters from the previous Lunar Chronicles is back, too, and we even get a glimpse into the beginning of Prince Emperor Kai's rule. Minor characters from previous books begin to take on a larger role in Cress, and tiny details from earlier in the series end up having a huge impact.

I don't know how Marissa Meyer managed to twist these classic fairy tales and merge them all together into one huge, new world, but she did, and it's incredible. I'll be waiting on the edge of my seat for another year until Winter finally comes out! ( )
  Sara.Newhouse | Feb 11, 2016 |
I enjoyed the book but everytime mental illness was presented negatively I felt really uncomfortable. ( )
  ElizabethJoseph | Feb 10, 2016 |
Rapunzel, Rapunzel. . . probably one of the princesses I like the least. To be fair, it's not Rapunzel's fault- she was written to be that way; the damsel in distress, tucked away from the world. I'm so happy that Cress has broken that mold. This is my 3rd book (in a row) that I've read in the Lunar Chronicles, and just when you think you couldn't become more sucked in to the story, Marissa Meyer pulls you right back in. Each book has a heroine in it that obliterates the frail princesses that the Disney generation grew up on. As much as I am a Disney fanatic at heart, I feel as though these "princesses" are more of a role model than the animated ones are. Even though Cress still acts the part of damsel in distress, she still has a fire about her. She is still able to handle situations, be part of the brains of the operation, and still find love in the end. Sure, she cries a lot, but without her brilliant hacking capabilities, this book really wouldn't have happened, and the story would have been stalled. I'm almost sad that the series is ending soon! ( )
  mspoet569 | Feb 9, 2016 |
Follow your favorite characters from The Lunar Chronicles series as they try and stop evil Queen Levana from marrying Emperor Kai. Cinder, along with Thorne, Wolf, and Scarlet try to rescue Cress from the satellite that she's lived alone in for years. The rescue attempt however fails and the group becomes split up. Scarlet is taken prisoner to Luna, Cress and Captain Thorne crash land in the Sahara desert, and Cinder must try to reunite with her friends and come up with a plan to save the world. -SB ( )
  WhitneyYPL | Feb 9, 2016 |
Wolf's resemblance to certain Twilight characters is even more annoying in this book. Cress's daydreaminess and swooniness are annoying, but I'm putting up with it because I feel like Meyer (Marissa, not Stephenie; hadn't noticed they had that in common) is going somewhere better with it. The references to the fairy tales got a little too blatant here, which was also getting annoying. It's set up really well for the next (and I'm assuming last) book, though, and there are still plenty of reasons why this is one of the better YA series I've read, so I'm looking forward to it.
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
When she was just a child, the witch locked her away in a tower that had neither doors or stairs.
For Jojo, Meghan, and Tamara
*high fives*
Her satellite made one full orbit around planet Earth every sixteen hours.

Cinder and Captain Thorne are fugitives on the run, now with Scarlet and Wolf in tow. Together, they're plotting to overthrow Queen Levana and prevent her army from invading Earth. Their best hope lies with Cress, a girl trapped on a satellite since childhood who's only ever had her netscreens as company.… (more)

444 wanted4 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,196,660 books! | Top bar: Always visible