Cress (Lunar Chronicles) by Marissa Meyer

Cress (Lunar Chronicles) (edition 2014)

by Marissa Meyer

Member:terriko
Title:Cress (Lunar Chronicles)
Authors:Marissa Meyer
Info:Feiwel & Friends (2014), Hardcover, 560 pages
Rating:*****

Cress by Marissa Meyer

What is it about this series that completely sucked me in? I couldn't stop reading it! I ate these up like chocolate.

I'm back on team Cinder/Kai now, because of the last few scenes.
Still not totally on the Thorne/Cress book, we'll see how things play out in Winter. (Which, that should come out RIGHT NOW, because I do not want to wait! This series is so addicting!) I still don't care about Wolf and Scarlet, but that could just be because tortured and brooding really isn't my thing. Adore Scarlet as a character though! Not so much Wolf.

I am also thrilled this doesn't fall into the pattern of "trilogy" that so many young adult book seem to be doing lately. Write more! Write ALL the books!!

What do I read now that I have to wait a whole year for Winter? ( )
  ariel.kirst | Nov 14, 2014 |
I just can't. I can't.

This book was amazing. I loved the plot twists.

I'm sad Dr. Erland died and Cress didn't get to know her father. I'm happy that Thorne seems to be in love with her. I'm upset Scarlet is on Luma. My heart breaks for Wolf. But Cinder and Kai! If they don't end up together and married at the end of the next book I'm going to be so angry.

I.NEED.THE.NEXT.BOOK.NOW. ( )
  rabidmunkee | Nov 7, 2014 |
Read on April 26, 2014

Read for Fun (Physical Copy)
Overall Rating: 4.25
Story Rating: 4.00
Character Rating: 4.50

First Thought when Finished: This is the first of The Lunar Chronicles that I read instead of listened too. That made Cress by Marissa Meyer an all around different experience and still highly enjoyable!

Overall Thoughts: (Quick Review) I will admit that this is one of those series that I normally listen to but for charity I read it during Dewey's ReadAThon. I actually enjoyed the story without the narrators voices but I will go back to listen to it before the last book comes out. I know that I was going to enjoy Thorne and Cress. Thorne is just a little bit of a bad boy but he has a good heart (he reminds me a lot of Captain Hot Pants from Firefly). Cress is always going to be the character that stole my heart because she went way out of her comfort zone to help people she didn't know. She is a rock star IMHO and just a brilliantly crafted character. Plus, she is a total nerd girl! There was a great balance with the rest of the characters and I can just tell we are getting down to the finale. There was lots of action, suspense, and overall story arch move ahead. It is odd that I am drawn to this since it is a little bit steampunk, a little bit fairytale retelling, and a whole lot YA. However, I love this series and will be sad to see it end.

Final Thoughts: I am on the countdown to the final book. I am pretty sure I will cry. ( )
  thehistorychic | Oct 6, 2014 |
Summary: We first met Cress in Cinder - the girl who was on the other end of the communications chip that Cinder finds in Prince Kai's android. Cress is a Lunar shell, unable to do magic but skilled with computers, and so locked aboard a surveillance satellite by Queen Levana for years, tasked with monitoring Earthen communications and keeping Lunar ships hidden from detection. All alone except for occasional visits from Levana's thaumaturge, Cress has developed a fascination with Earth culture, not to mention a severe crush on Captain Thorne, and has been secretly helping him and Cinder since they escaped from jail. Now the fugitives' plight is even more urgent than before: Scarlet has been kidnapped by Lunar operatives, Wolf is nearly comatose with the loss, and Prince Kai will be marrying Queen Levana in only a few days time - and they have no doubt that once she does, she'll have him killed. In order to stop the wedding, they're going to need Cress's help, but rescuing her from her satellite is only the first step in a plan that could go wrong in any number of devastating ways.

Review: I really, really enjoyed this book, maybe even more than I liked Cinder. It's got so many great elements, was easy to read (even during a very busy and stressful time when I often have a hard time focusing on reading, so that was an extra bonus), and kept me engaged and entertained. One of the issues I had with Scarlet was that it didn't tie in super-well to the original fairy tale beyond the basics, but thankfully, Cress has lots of echoes of the original story, and I loved being able to pick those out and see how Meyer had incorporated them into her sci-fi world. I was also a little bit worried about how well the story would flow as Meyer keeps adding characters - Scarlet's and Cinder's storylines didn't mesh together particularly well for most of Scarlet, but that wasn't the case at all in Cress: even when the characters are separated, Meyer keeps all of the storylines going at a good clip, never allowing any one to drag out longer than it needed to. Cress as a heroine is pretty great - she's not as confident or as capable as Cinder, but she's got a spark to her despite her naivete, and watching her come out of her protective shell and learn to navigate not only the real world, but also real relationships, was a treat. Initially I wasn't totally swept away by the romance between her and Thorne - if a guy tells you he's bad news that many times, maybe you should believe him? - but by the end, I was fully on board. And of course, between all the fairy tale bits and the sci-fi worldbuilding bits and the romance bits and the funny bits and the sad bits and the awesome character developing bits, there were also quite a number of fun action-y bits. So, yes, totally loved this one, and now I'm stuck waiting on tenterhooks for the final book to come out. 4.5 out of 5 stars.

Recommendation: Not a standalone by any means. But the series is a huge treat for fans of YA sci-fi/fantasy/romance and/or fairy tale retellings - I can't believe I waited as long as I did to pick it up. For those who liked Cinder but were more ambivalent about Scarlet: have hope! This book is jam-packed of good stuff and makes it clear that Meyer's had a good plan for the series all along. ( )
  fyrefly98 | Oct 5, 2014 |
The third book in the Lunar Chronicles, Cress by Marissa Meyer was a wonderful read that moved the story forward and introduced some new and wonderful characters. I am totally in love with Cress and I enjoyed her relationship with Thorne. The author has been adding characters as the series goes along and now there is quite a gang of freedom fighters gathering around Cinder.

We originally met Cress in the first volume when she hacked into Cinder’s netscreen and I have been waiting for her to enter the story ever since. Locked away on a satellite for years, I knew she would have a big impact on the story when finally released. As the characters were separated and put in jeopardy, I was happy that she and Thorne were together and that both had to lean on each other to survive the desert.

Cress herself, although based on Rapunzel, seemed to have more of a connection with manga character, Sailor Moon which I thought made her all the more interesting. A self-taught computer whiz, her tiny size, approachable personality, and her penchant for daydreaming along with her slightly timid nature, easily made her the most likeable of the heroines introduced so far. (Although I am still very fond of Iko.)

I was a little concerned for this series after reading Scarlett, as that book didn’t hold the same appeal for me that Cinder did, but I think Cress has put the series back on the right road with both plot and pacing and I am really looking forward to the next volume and seeing what’s in store for these characters. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Sep 6, 2014 |
When she was just a child, the witch locked her away in a tower that had neither doors or stairs.
For Jojo, Meghan, and Tamara
*high fives*
Her satellite made one full orbit around planet Earth every sixteen hours.

Cinder and Captain Thorne are fugitives on the run, now with Scarlet and Wolf in tow. Together, they're plotting to overthrow Queen Levana and prevent her army from invading Earth. Their best hope lies with Cress, a girl trapped on a satellite since childhood who's only ever had her netscreens as company.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,993,211 books! | Top bar: Always visible