Cress (Lunar Chronicles) by Marissa Meyer

Cress (Lunar Chronicles) (edition 2014)

by Marissa Meyer

Member:terriko
Title:Cress (Lunar Chronicles)
Authors:Marissa Meyer
Info:Feiwel & Friends (2014), Hardcover, 560 pages
Rating:*****

Cress by Marissa Meyer

The third book in the Lunar Chronicles, Cress by Marissa Meyer was a wonderful read that moved the story forward and introduced some new and wonderful characters. I am totally in love with Cress and I enjoyed her relationship with Thorne. The author has been adding characters as the series goes along and now there is quite a gang of freedom fighters gathering around Cinder.

We originally met Cress in the first volume when she hacked into Cinder’s netscreen and I have been waiting for her to enter the story ever since. Locked away on a satellite for years, I knew she would have a big impact on the story when finally released. As the characters were separated and put in jeopardy, I was happy that she and Thorne were together and that both had to lean on each other to survive the desert.

Cress herself, although based on Rapunzel, seemed to have more of a connection with manga character, Sailor Moon which I thought made her all the more interesting. A self-taught computer whiz, her tiny size, approachable personality, and her penchant for daydreaming along with her slightly timid nature, easily made her the most likeable of the heroines introduced so far. (Although I am still very fond of Iko.)

I was a little concerned for this series after reading Scarlett, as that book didn’t hold the same appeal for me that Cinder did, but I think Cress has put the series back on the right road with both plot and pacing and I am really looking forward to the next volume and seeing what’s in store for these characters. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Sep 6, 2014 |
It is always super exciting for a series to continue with its awesomeness after book one, but this one keeps doing it. I think this book is the best so far, and I can't wait for book 4. I highly recommend this for everyone! Romance, action, sci-fi, government rebellion. It has a little of everything. And the best part is that you don't just get one romance, you get (with the addition of book 4) 4 solid romances all tied together in a cohesive unit. Love it! ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |

Ok. Welp. DNF at 49%. There's only so much tediousness I can take. I put this down a few days ago, but forced myself to pick it up two more times in the hopes that something would grab me. It didn't happen. I'm not going to force myself to pick it up a third time. Enough is enough. I should be more engrossed at nearly 50%.

Everyone I grew to love in Scarlet is behaving out of character here. All the scenes are too long and too wordy. There are some side characters that I just don't care about. There's nothing interesting enough to keep me riveted for long. I don't like vapid Cress. There is no fun, sexy, or easy banter between the couples.

I thought cress was gonna be a bit naive at first, but then kinda grow into her own as time wore on. No dice.

The "chemistry" between Cress and Thorne? Nonexistent. I already know that when they actually get together (prob later in the book), I won't believe it. Throne's easygoingness about blindness makes NO sense. Very contrived, that.

Then there's the separation of Scarlet and Wolf, which sucks balls, cuz they're my favorite thing ever. You know. When they're together.

And Cinder's storyline was boring as hell. At least, through the 49% that I read.

I still plan to read Winter, because it's the series finale, but I won't be holding my breath waiting for it the way I did with Cress.

As for wanting to know how this book ends, I'm just going to wait for the Recaptains to recap this one. They're my heroes. ^_^

JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |
Read my full review here.

I knew I’d love Cress as much as I love Cinder and Scarlet. I can honestly say that the Lunar Chronicles is one of my favourite books series’ ever. Things I love about the first two books in the series are present in this book, and in some ways it reminded me about the more intimate moments that I love in Cinder(like Cinder and Kai's awesome chemistry).

It’s not common at all, but Meyer has managed to make me care about every main character, old and new. Sometimes switching POVs can be off-putting and frankly unnecessary, but I didn’t feel that way at all Meyer’s writing. Each POV is a treat and helps flesh out the complexities of the characters even more. I hope that we’re given a longer insight into Iko’s mind in Winter because she's hilarious and all-around awesome.

Cinder really shines in this book. She may feel completely out of her depth she questions her ability to be a good Queen for Lunaand nostalgic for her days as a mere mechanic, but she is incredibly strong and when she doesn’t stand in her own way, she accomplishes more than she anticipates like being able to control multiple people at once while fighting off Wolf. Without spoiling anything, I will say that one of my favourite scenes in the book is at the end (basically that whole sweet scene with Kai in which they kiss and are supportive of one another).

Scarlet and Wolf are absolutely adorable, but that’s no surprise. They have one of the most intense and moving romantic relationships. There were moments when I was literally smiling or tearing up because of them. Oh, they do break my heart.

Cress is absolutely adorable. I think any reader can, on some level, relate to her powerful imagination. She’s a bit naive, but oh-so-sweet and brave. Meyer does allow her the page time to slowly blossom as she experiences new things which makes me look forward to the next book because I know she’ll grow even more.

Thorne easily becomes a much more central character in this book, and Meyer adds to his complexities in various ways. I’d say he’s one of my favourite male protagonists in the book (he’s quickly catching up to Kai). He may give off an aura of a rather sarcastic and almost arrogant or distanced person, but there are these brilliant moments when we’re shown that he’s much more than that. Also, the budding romance between him and Cress is adorable (they better get their crap together and be with each other).

Of course, this novel gives us a little taste of Winter and well…she’s an intriguing character, that’s for sure and a little crazy, but she used to be friends with Cinder. My curiosity has definitely been piqued.

Overall, Cress was an absolute joy to read. I may have used the word “adorable” way too many times in this review, but I seriously adore these characters and the books. ( )
  CaitlinAC | Aug 10, 2014 |
When she was just a child, the witch locked her away in a tower that had neither doors or stairs.
For Jojo, Meghan, and Tamara
*high fives*
Her satellite made one full orbit around planet Earth every sixteen hours.

Cinder and Captain Thorne are fugitives on the run, now with Scarlet and Wolf in tow. Together, they're plotting to overthrow Queen Levana and prevent her army from invading Earth. Their best hope lies with Cress, a girl trapped on a satellite since childhood who's only ever had her netscreens as company.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,797,551 books! | Top bar: Always visible