Cress (Lunar Chronicles) by Marissa Meyer

Cress (Lunar Chronicles) (edition 2014)

by Marissa Meyer

Member:terriko
Title:Cress (Lunar Chronicles)
Authors:Marissa Meyer
Info:Feiwel & Friends (2014), Hardcover, 560 pages
Rating:*****

Cress by Marissa Meyer

Recently added byMEH22, Cebellina, kira_anne, private library, Foodang, kari.alyse, arydwn, allejean, jmslibrarygirl

In the continuing and intriguing adaptation of familiar fairy tales (into a future era) we are introduced to "Rapunzel" aka Crescent Moon. It took me quite a bit longer to read this installment than the first two did. With so many characters and their own plot lines, it was harder to keep focus. I am looking forward to how this will be wrapped up, especially now that things are getting serious. The emperor has been kidnapped and the Lunar queen is retaliating. Really looking forward to Winter. ( )
  macjest | Mar 28, 2015 |
So when is the next book in this series coming out? Because after finishing Cress, I really can't wait! In addition to loving this series in general, I really loved this particular volume, in part because of the ending, which I won't ruin for anyone who has yet to read it. I was glad to see Thorne being further developed as a character, I appreciated the addition of Cress to the little band of renegades out to defeat Queen Levana, and I am intrigued by the character of Winter. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Mar 22, 2015 |
In the third book of the Lunar Chronicles, Cress - whom you may remember as the hacker on the satellite who contacts Cinder - makes a dash for freedom from the Lunar Thamauturge, Sybil, who has been keeping her imprisoned for years. If you thought this might sound just a tad like Rapunzel, well yes, it's supposed to. But it's also a story in its own right as Cress, who is a "shell" or a Lunar who does not have the ability to control other beings, throws in her lot with rebels Cinder aka Princess Selene the true heir to the Lunar throne, rogue Captain Carswell Thorne, Scarlet Benoit, and Wolf. Can they stop the wedding between Emperor Kai and Queen Levana before it's too late?

If you read any kind of fantasy/fairy tale retellings/futuristic young adult stories, you simply must try the first book in this series, Cinder. Basically, none of the later developments of the story will make sense otherwise, and oh is it so much fun watching how this series unfolds. Each story uses a well-known fairy tale as a starting off point, sometimes following closely, other times making references to it, and every now and then throwing in a completely unexpected turn. I really loved Scarlet, and Cress follows close behind. I'm really looking forward to seeing how everything comes together in Winter. ( )
  bell7 | Feb 28, 2015 |
So, I read Cress when it was published and wasn't impressed – I quickly gave up, probably due to book series exhaustion. Given the opportunity to review Fairest, a kind of interlude between books three and four of The Lunar Chronicles, I came back and re-read Cress, and I’m so glad I did. My second reading entranced me, and I began to realize what a master Meyer is at entwining all of the characters without losing plot-lines or world-building.

Cress is ensconced, against her will, in a satellite around Earth doing the bidding of Sybil, a power play in Queen Levana’s entourage. She spends her seven lonely years essentially spying on Earth and all her wonders, including the royal family and Kai. Like the fairy tale, Cress has floor-length tresses and a sonorous singing voice. As she sits at her screens and watches videos of the goings-on down below her, Cress begins to sympathize with the plight of Earthens; when presented with the opportunity to defect to their side, she takes it without hesitation.

What follows is a fast-paced, well-written, and sometimes romantic journey through the Earth’s atmosphere, the Sahara, Europe, and back to the Moon. Meyer is a master at committing to her details without losing the effect of the storytelling. Scarlet is my least favorite character, probably because she is the only one of whom I cannot form a clear picture, and thankfully she was not featured that much in this particular book. The ending of this novel leaves me wanting more, more, more Meyer. And, if you haven’t read Fairest yet, you must! ( )
  amandacb | Feb 27, 2015 |
Loved this book creatively based on the fairytale, Rapunzel! Loved the way the author makes this book appealing to middle-grade, young adult and adult readers! If you love fairy tales, fantasy with a futuristic flair, this book and the others in the Lunar Chronicles series is for you! ( )
  CILLYart4U | Feb 16, 2015 |
When she was just a child, the witch locked her away in a tower that had neither doors or stairs.
For Jojo, Meghan, and Tamara
*high fives*
Her satellite made one full orbit around planet Earth every sixteen hours.

Cinder and Captain Thorne are fugitives on the run, now with Scarlet and Wolf in tow. Together, they're plotting to overthrow Queen Levana and prevent her army from invading Earth. Their best hope lies with Cress, a girl trapped on a satellite since childhood who's only ever had her netscreens as company.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,237,435 books! | Top bar: Always visible