Cress (Lunar Chronicles) by Marissa Meyer

Cress (Lunar Chronicles) (edition 2014)

by Marissa Meyer

Member:terriko
Title:Cress (Lunar Chronicles)
Authors:Marissa Meyer
Info:Feiwel & Friends (2014), Hardcover, 560 pages
Rating:*****

Cress by Marissa Meyer

Recently added byQurkyGirl22, fabtk, private library, IamFluff, KariBonallo, Kathadrion, pmyatt13, Leelookitty, LisMB

Love it, love it, love it! I can't wait unit the 4th and final book, Winter,is released.

This series is a new take on the old fairy tales we've all grown up with. Cinder is a steampunk version of Cinderella. Scarlet is a sci/fi version of Little Red Riding Hood along with the wolf. Cress is futurist version of Rapunzel. ( )
  AnnRushing | Jul 13, 2014 |
Title - Cress (The Lunar Chronicles, #3)

Author - Marissa Meyer

Summary -

In Book #1, Cinder, the cyborg girl Cinder confronts the evil Lunar Queen Levana and the reality of her own hidden past. In Book #2, she teams up with the young girl and pilot Scarlett and cage fighter Wolf. Along the way they pick rogue pirate Space Captain Thorne. That is a quick summary of two very good and exciting YA, sci-fi, fantasy books that I strongly urge you to pick and read before you read Cress.
In Book #3, Cinder and her crew are orbiting the Earth deciding on their next course of action. The forced marriage between Queen Levana and Emperor Kai of Earth. Levana expects through this marriage to rule not only her Lunar kingdom but Earth as well. Cinder has learned that she is the long lost Princess Selena; true heir to the lunar kingdom sent to Earth as an infant for her safety from Levana when her ship crashed and she was horribly injured. Resulting in her becoming the cyborg girl she is now.
The crew receive a communication, alarming them as they felt no one knew where they were. Cautiously they answer the call. It is a young girl named Cress who has information of Levana's plans that she is willing to trade for your escape.

"...I'm not on Luna!" The words tumbled out of Cress, coaxed on by a twist of hope. "You don't have to come to Luna. I'm not there."
Cinder scanned the room behind Cress. "But you said before that you couldn't contact Earth, so you're not..."
"I'm on a satellite. I can give you my coordinates..."

"How long have you been living in a satellite?"
She twisted her hair around her fingers. "Seven years...or so."
"Seven years? By yourself?"
"Y-yes." She shrugged. "Mistress restocks my food and water and I have net access, so it isn't so bad. But...well..."
"But you're a prisoner," said Thorne.
"I prefer damsel in distress," she murmured...

For seven years the girl named Cress has been isolated on a satellite orbiting Earth, monitoring all transmissions for Queen Levana, when a new task was set before her. Find the fugitive Cinder and her crew. But for Cress, it was an opportunity of another kind. The chance to escape from her captures and join Cinder on her quest.

Review -

I have a hard time deciding which of these books I enjoyed the most. Cinder, Scarlett or Cress. For the uninitiated into Marissa Meyer's fantasy sci-fi world. Cinder is Cinderella. Scarlett is Red Riding Hood and Cress is Rapunzel. Wolf, from Scarlett is the big bad wolf but with a change of heart. And Levana, was think every evil female Disney stepmom and Queen and you got her. Emperor Kai, is the Prince only in these tales it is he who needs the saving.
But don't get the wrong message, these books are far from feminist ravings, they encompass far more. There is class warfare, Orwellian themes of the all powerful Government and the controlling of the minds of its people and enemies.
Into all of this steps Cinder. She is far from beautiful, her scars and metal body parts keep her from seeing the true beauty that she is. A powerful albeit reluctant hero.
Scarlett, who's family loss haunts her. There is a grandmother here that doesn't quite make it. And Wolf whose prior acts of violence he seeks to rectify as his love of Scarlett is the most powerful emotion he knows.
There are many other characters in and out of these books, characters who resemble a childhood memory but whose part in these tales is stunningly their own.
Meyer has done far more than re-write a fairy tale or two. She has had the audacity and originality to re-write beloved characters into an adventure all her own.
A very good read! ( )
  agarcia85257 | Jul 11, 2014 |
But. . . but. . . what am I supposed to DO with my life now that I've finished? ( )
  Stormydawnc | Jun 23, 2014 |
I liked Cinder but it didn't grab me like Scarlett or Cress did. Thankfully I forced myself to read Scarlett and was so entranced I had to purchase Cress immediately. Cress takes you on a roller coaster ride and I enjoyed the whole trip. The world is so interesting and I really love the villain in this series. Queen Levana is evil as it gets and she is a joy to read about. This series is one of my favorites and I'm just hoping we can get our hands on Winter sooner than later :D ( )
  KatieHeflin | Jun 16, 2014 |
I enjoyed this for two reasons. First, my daughter loves this series and we have great discussions about it. I can't get enough of that. Second, this series is so unique ( to me) and I think this author has done an amazing job retelling fairy tales with a science fiction twist AND combining several characters into one story and doing a pretty coherent job of it too.This story was exciting and I feel like everyone's story has equal value and I CAN NOT wait for the series finale. ( )
  thingtwo | Jun 12, 2014 |
When she was just a child, the witch locked her away in a tower that had neither doors or stairs.
For Jojo, Meghan, and Tamara
*high fives*
Her satellite made one full orbit around planet Earth every sixteen hours.

Cinder and Captain Thorne are fugitives on the run, now with Scarlet and Wolf in tow. Together, they're plotting to overthrow Queen Levana and prevent her army from invading Earth. Their best hope lies with Cress, a girl trapped on a satellite since childhood who's only ever had her netscreens as company.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,486,269 books! | Top bar: Always visible