Cress (Lunar Chronicles) by Marissa Meyer

Cress (Lunar Chronicles) (edition 2014)

by Marissa Meyer

Member:terriko
Title:Cress (Lunar Chronicles)
Authors:Marissa Meyer
Info:Feiwel & Friends (2014), Hardcover, 560 pages
Rating:*****

Cress by Marissa Meyer

The saga continues in this awesome young adult fantasy series. Each book takes a fairy tale and puts a futuristic spin on it. This time the fairy tale is Rapunzel and instead of being trapped in a tower, she is being held in a satellite. Isolated from people with only technology for company, she has become an excellent hacker and the Lunar Queen uses her skills to spy on Earth. Of all the books, I found this heroine, Cress, to be the least likable. Unlike Scarlet and Cinder, she isn't tough as nails, and has a tendency to dream of a Prince Charming who will rescue her. But, I really appreciate that all of these characters are distinct and not carbon copies of each other. Even though Cress as a character wasn't my favorite, this has been my favorite book in the series. The plot continues to get more complicated and all of the major characters from the previous books have big roles in this story. Looking forward to the final book in this series which comes out this year! ( )
  jmoncton | Jan 17, 2015 |
Oh, my, do I love these. I love the way the characters separate and come back together, plots all intertwining. An I love the non-stop action! ( )
  4hounds | Jan 1, 2015 |
What is it about this series that completely sucked me in? I couldn't stop reading it! I ate these up like chocolate.

I'm back on team Cinder/Kai now, because of the last few scenes.
Still not totally on the Thorne/Cress book, we'll see how things play out in Winter. (Which, that should come out RIGHT NOW, because I do not want to wait! This series is so addicting!) I still don't care about Wolf and Scarlet, but that could just be because tortured and brooding really isn't my thing. Adore Scarlet as a character though! Not so much Wolf.

I am also thrilled this doesn't fall into the pattern of "trilogy" that so many young adult book seem to be doing lately. Write more! Write ALL the books!!

What do I read now that I have to wait a whole year for Winter? ( )
  ariel.kirst | Nov 14, 2014 |
I just can't. I can't.

This book was amazing. I loved the plot twists.

I'm sad Dr. Erland died and Cress didn't get to know her father. I'm happy that Thorne seems to be in love with her. I'm upset Scarlet is on Luma. My heart breaks for Wolf. But Cinder and Kai! If they don't end up together and married at the end of the next book I'm going to be so angry.

I.NEED.THE.NEXT.BOOK.NOW. ( )
  rabidmunkee | Nov 7, 2014 |
Read on April 26, 2014

Read for Fun (Physical Copy)
Overall Rating: 4.25
Story Rating: 4.00
Character Rating: 4.50

First Thought when Finished: This is the first of The Lunar Chronicles that I read instead of listened too. That made Cress by Marissa Meyer an all around different experience and still highly enjoyable!

Overall Thoughts: (Quick Review) I will admit that this is one of those series that I normally listen to but for charity I read it during Dewey's ReadAThon. I actually enjoyed the story without the narrators voices but I will go back to listen to it before the last book comes out. I know that I was going to enjoy Thorne and Cress. Thorne is just a little bit of a bad boy but he has a good heart (he reminds me a lot of Captain Hot Pants from Firefly). Cress is always going to be the character that stole my heart because she went way out of her comfort zone to help people she didn't know. She is a rock star IMHO and just a brilliantly crafted character. Plus, she is a total nerd girl! There was a great balance with the rest of the characters and I can just tell we are getting down to the finale. There was lots of action, suspense, and overall story arch move ahead. It is odd that I am drawn to this since it is a little bit steampunk, a little bit fairytale retelling, and a whole lot YA. However, I love this series and will be sad to see it end.

Final Thoughts: I am on the countdown to the final book. I am pretty sure I will cry. ( )
  thehistorychic | Oct 6, 2014 |
When she was just a child, the witch locked her away in a tower that had neither doors or stairs.
For Jojo, Meghan, and Tamara
*high fives*
Her satellite made one full orbit around planet Earth every sixteen hours.

Cinder and Captain Thorne are fugitives on the run, now with Scarlet and Wolf in tow. Together, they're plotting to overthrow Queen Levana and prevent her army from invading Earth. Their best hope lies with Cress, a girl trapped on a satellite since childhood who's only ever had her netscreens as company.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,146,028 books! | Top bar: Always visible