Cress (Lunar Chronicles) by Marissa Meyer

Cress (Lunar Chronicles) (edition 2014)

by Marissa Meyer

Member:terriko
Title:Cress (Lunar Chronicles)
Authors:Marissa Meyer
Info:Feiwel & Friends (2014), Hardcover, 560 pages
Rating:*****

Cress by Marissa Meyer

Recently added byLeah422, private library, rebeccamhunter, smiteme, ies6, davidgn, compskibook, amfleming, untitled841

Cress by Marissa Meyer is the third in the Lunar Chronicles. If you haven’t heard of this series, be sure to check out my reviews of the first book, Cinder, and the second book, Scarlet, because this series is freaking fantabulous! I felt that Scarlet was even better than Cinder, and Cress does not disappoint this trend. While Cress was a slightly different book than the first two, it made my brain feel all warm and fuzzy every time I sat down to read. We meet new characters and get to know old ones better, there is epicness on so many levels, and I am EVEN MORE excited about the fourth book, Winter, than I was before!
Note: A friend gave me an ARC of Cress to review. Some things may change in the final version.
Cress by Marissa Meyer ARC {4.5 Stars}
Cress by Marissa Meyer (Lunar Chronicles #3)
Published by Feiwel & Friends on February 4th, 2014
Genres: Fairytale Retelling, Sci-fi, YA
Length: 560 pages
How I got my copy: Borrowed
IndieBound - Book Depository - Goodreads
Purchases made support this blog
Rapunzel’s tower is a satellite. She can’t let down her hair—or her guard.

In this third book in the bestselling Lunar Chronicles series, Cinder and Captain Thorne are fugitives on the run, with Scarlet and Wolf in tow. Together, they’re plotting to overthrow Queen Levana and her army.

Their best hope lies with Cress, who has been trapped on a satellite since childhood with only her netscreens as company. All that screen time has made Cress an excellent hacker—unfortunately, she’s just received orders from Levana to track down Cinder and her handsome accomplice.

When a daring rescue goes awry, the group is separated. Cress finally has her freedom, but it comes at a high price. Meanwhile, Queen Levana will let nothing stop her marriage to Emperor Kai. Cress, Scarlet, and Cinder may not have signed up to save the world, but they may be the only ones who can.
Strengths:
I feel that I must start with the title character: Cress! *squeals* I love her so much! I imagine that many of us are going to have Tangled flashbacks while reading Cress but I honestly think it totally works. Cinder and Scarlet are both kick-butt heroines, but Cress brings something new to the table. She has obviously led a pretty sheltered life with a skewed perspective on things (mostly from watching net dramas….) and Meyer captures this wonderfully. Cress is a brilliant hacker but also adorably naive about a lot of things. She is a perfect edition to our fairy tale cast specifically because she isn’t the typical kick-butt heroine who is too tough to cry!
Omg ya’ll, the twists! You know I love a good plot twist and I consider Cress to have more than one. They were the great kind, too, where they are kinda stressful because you know the characters’ lives are going to get more difficult, but also make perfect sense, but also just make you have to know what is going to happen! My pulse is rising just thinking about them >.>.
The feels, wow, the feels. Scarlet definitely destroyed my emotions, but Cress doesn’t pull any punches. They are made all the worse because you kind of know something has to happen, but it’s still so freaking emotional. There aren’t just sad feels though! Thorne and Cress had me squeeing and literally laughing out loud quite often ;-).
I love clever epic battles! You know when the hero saves the day against impossible odds not through luck or magically discovering some deep inner power but through being so dang clever?? That! That is awesome and that is what you get in Cress.
We get little torturous hints about the character Winter and I am so freaking excited! Even though this is Cress, I am already impressed with how multi-faceted Winter the character is going to be, not to mention the epicness of Winter the book’s plot….
Iko gets a couple of chapters from her perspective Weaknesses:
There are three couples now for those playing along at home and that is two more than most stories that we are used to have. All of the characters work great (yey epic fantasy adventuring party!), but each of the romance pairings being so neat and tidy is a little annoying. I want a single fairy-tale princess, who needs boys?!
Cress melted my heart, but I didn’t get the white-knuckle, edge-of-your-seat feel that I had with Scarlet. I hit a point with Scarlet where I was literally getting white knuckles gripping the hardcover, and that just didn’t happen with Cress (which is probably good since it was a rather floppy ARC). I have very high hopes for Winter though ;-).
Summary:
Really, at this point, you probably already know if you are going to read Cress or not. If you loved Scarlet, you will love Cress and I’m so excited and a little jealous that you get to read it for the first time still :D. If you read Cinder and were only meh and not sure about continuing the series, continue the series! I cannot emphasize enough how much each book’s writing has grown and I love it. I’m very impressed by how skillfully Meyer has weaved together three (four in the end) fairytale retellings, keeping each of the couples involved in the overarching storyline, and building this amazing sci-fi world to boot. Amaze-balls if you ask me. ( )
  anyaejo | Aug 12, 2015 |
This was everything I wanted it to be and MORE. I love these characters.

Ms. Meyer....

Why??
  ScribblingSprite | Aug 10, 2015 |
The books in this series just keep getting better and better! They definitely are not stand alone - they need to be read in order, as they tell one story. I can't wait for the final installment of the series! ( )
  peggy.s | Aug 1, 2015 |
5 Great Things about The Lunar Chronicles:

1) Fairy tale retellings. I'm a sucker for fairy tales and retellings, and I'm also a firm believer that anyone who can make a retelling unique and exciting in its own way is a downright amazing writer. Marissa Meyer, so far, has managed to bring three separate fairy tales in perfect sync while still keeping them unique and original. Who ever heard of cyborg Cinderella? Enough said.

2) Iko. She's an android with a personality remarkably humane that one would think of her as the best character, rather than an object or program. Her presence makes every situation one hundred times better. Who needs friends when you have a sassy android?

3) The tension and risks increase with each book. You thought Cinder was nerve-wracking? Well, then, put on your seatbelt, kids; it’s going to be a bumpy ride.

4) Romance is incorporated. All the relationships present are definitely different, as they should be, and they parallel the fairy tales in which they correspond. Sure, some couples are more likable than others, but I can assure you that that there is at least one couple for you to ship. (Side note: to those of you who are complaining about the romance, this is a series based on fairy tale retellings. And fairy tales are not fairy tales if there is not a knight in shining armor involved. Seriously, who ever heard of Cinderella without her prince (as stupid as the prince may be?).

5) It taps into your emotions. Have you seen the gifs used by other people to describe their thoughts after reading any book from the Lunar Chronicles? Yeah, that pretty much proves my point. But if you haven't, below are five good ones that I've seen.

Enjoy!

mararina | Jul 23, 2015 |
okayish ( )
  PsYcHe_Sufi | Jul 12, 2015 |
When she was just a child, the witch locked her away in a tower that had neither doors or stairs.
For Jojo, Meghan, and Tamara
*high fives*
Her satellite made one full orbit around planet Earth every sixteen hours.

Cinder and Captain Thorne are fugitives on the run, now with Scarlet and Wolf in tow. Together, they're plotting to overthrow Queen Levana and prevent her army from invading Earth. Their best hope lies with Cress, a girl trapped on a satellite since childhood who's only ever had her netscreens as company.… (more)

409 wanted4 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,021,572 books! | Top bar: Always visible