Rabid: A Cultural History of the…

Rabid: A Cultural History of the World's Most Diabolical Virus (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Bill Wasik, Monica Murphy

Member:rshlib
Title:Rabid: A Cultural History of the World's Most Diabolical Virus
Authors:Bill Wasik
Other authors:Monica Murphy
Info:Viking Adult (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 240 pages
Rating:***
Tags:non-fiction, science, history, own, audio

Rabid: A Cultural History of the World's Most Diabolical Virus by Bill Wasik (2012)

The Ghost Map by Steven Johnson (Anonymous user)

Overall, a good book. The parts about vampires and werewolves felt like fluff, but the parts about Louis Pastor and how he discovered the vaccine were fascinating. ( )
  Traciinaz | Mar 17, 2016 |
Not quite what I imagined it to be, but not, having read it, I don't know why I expected something different. It did what it's title said it would do: looked at rabies from a cultural perspective. I guess I was thinking there would be more on the influence rabies had on the supernatural vampires and werewolves. There was a whole chapter dedicated to this, so it worked out. Interesting topic, and not one that I've given this much thought too before. It's a good eye opener for a topic that a lot of people don't know enough about. And it's something that should be more wide-spread knowledge. It's one of those diseases that we could eradicate if enough people were just informed and educated on the topic. In that regard, this a great book to do that. ( )
  Kassilem | Feb 4, 2016 |
Mildly interesting, especially the chapter on Pasteur, which lacks the grating style of the rest of the book. ( )
  Michael.Xolotl | Nov 11, 2015 |
This book gave so much more than I would have expected.The author uses the rabies disease as a vehicle to explore the history of neurological disorders and their treatments. To follow the history from superstitious nonsense, to the birth of evidence-based medicine (thank you very much, Louis Pasteur), and on to modern innovations of virus-delivered pharmaceuticals is truly amazing. ( )
  jimocracy | Apr 18, 2015 |
My usual ratio of reading has been one non-fiction title for every ten fiction titles, but 2013 has seen me embark on a real non-fiction kick. In part I blame (or rather thank) this book.

Really, the book synopsis covers it perfectly: this is a book that takes you on a journey through the disease’s history, but not just via microscopes and petri dishes, labs and hospitals. Instead, this look at rabies really does bring together a wonderful blend of culture, history and science.

This is a simply fascinating review of the disease from a historical and cultural perspective. I haven’t read a book that approached a medical condition in this way before and I really enjoyed it. So much so, that 2013 seems to be the year of reversing my fiction:non-fiction ratio!

**I received a copy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for a fair and honest review. I did not receive any additional compensation and all views are my own.** ( )
1 vote donnambr | Nov 27, 2014 |

Bill Wasikprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Murphy, Monicamain authorall editionsconfirmed
Murphy, MonicaAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Heller, JohnnyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For our "creatures" - Emmett and Mia
(Introduction) Ours is a domesticated age.
For more than a week, Achilles sulks while the Trojan War carries on without him.

Rabid bites meant death
Until heroic people
Made discoveries

Charts the history, science, and cultural mythology of rabies, documenting how before its vaccine the disease caused fatal brain infections and sparked the creations of monsters, including werewolves, vampires and zombies.

109 wanted1 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 3,276 books! | Top bar: Always visible