Fury of Fire (Dragonfury Series #1) by…

Fury of Fire (Dragonfury Series #1) (edition 2012)

by Coreene Callahan

Member:Spider2013
Title:Fury of Fire (Dragonfury Series #1)
Authors:Coreene Callahan
Info:
Rating:***
Tags:Ebook

Fury of Fire by Coreene Callahan

Always looking for a new audiobook to listen to, I came across Fury of Fire and decided to give it a chance. I found the story-line to be engaging,the romantic elements to be sizzling hot. Although it does have a number of similarities to the Black Dagger Brotherhood, the Dragonfury series is a nice addition to the paranormal genre. The book may have been served better with less BDB similarities in speech and personalities and more originality. I can't wait for the next installment. ( )
  TheiBookEmporium | May 21, 2014 |
Welcome to Washington State.

This debut novel is the beginning to many additional installments.

Bastian is one of the oldest of his kind; an all male race born of human females - dragon-shifters. As leader of the Nightfury dragon clan it is his duty to protect humankind. With their numbers declining he needs to set an example. With only 5 days until the Meridian’s axis realign, he has less than a week to find a mate. “…Be the first to commit, to have a son, to lose his female in child birth.”

Myst Munroe, a nurse practitioner, just wants to check on her pregnant patient – Caroline Van Owen. She is still recovering from her mother, Dana’s, murder. When she arrives at Caroline’s house and discovers her lying in a pool of blood – the flashbacks begin. Her training kicks in and she works to save both mother and her unborn child. Soon Bastian and his first in command, Rikar, arrive dressed as EMS workers – the battle begins.

Bastian feels an immediate attraction to Myst; her energy is unlike anything he has experienced before. Seeing her distress, he feels a compelling need to take care of her. For Bastian, that is something that has never happen before – but it is the one thing that he can’t seem to control. When Myst starts to recover from the shock she become desperate, he knows that she will need his help – even if she is reluctant to accept it. Before long, Bastian finds himself unable to maintain his control – he wants to claim Myst for his own.

This is an emotion packed book that will make you laugh and make you cry. Myst’s plight comes right off the pages. Her confusion over her feelings for Bastian tears her.

The secondary characters enrich the story. ( )
  BBMoreB | Oct 30, 2012 |
4.5 STARS!

The following review is a partial review. To read the entire text, please visit http://tbqspersonalbookpalace.blogspot.com/2012/04/nor-review-fury-of-fire.html

~*~*~*~*~

Dragons? Check. Great storyline? Check. Yummy alpha-males? Check! Scorching romance? Check, check, and check! Fury of Fire delivers in all these areas and so many more.

Bastian is the leader of the Nightfury dragon clan, and as such he must be the one to set the example for his warriors to follow. When he realizes that it's time to start procreating and increasing their ranks (which are dangerously low, especially with all the trouble the Razorbacks are starting lately), it is up to him to step forward first.

It should be simple, right? Find a woman during the Meridian (a magical date for the dragons, the one time that they can get a woman pregnant—regardless of her fertility time) and show her a good time. But that's not the end of it—the woman will become pregnant with no problem...but she won't survive the son's birth. Son, you say? Yes, they can only breed more men, there is no such thing as a woman dragon. How can he love a woman, knowing that she will die a horrible death in just a few short months? The Razorbacks do it all the time, but they have no hearts, no mercy. Bastian and his men aren't like that, and they fear mating with a woman during this time. But no more—this time, Bastian is going to do it. It's for the fate of his kind, the continuation of his species. But that doesn't mean it will be any easier for him to handle emotionally.

And when he finds Myst, who practically bleeds pure white energy (which dragons “feed” on from the human females), he realizes that he is lost—heart, body, and soul to the strong and beautiful woman. It's only three days until the Meridian—if he takes her, she will become pregnant. And just like he knows that he won't be able to stay away from her during that time, he also knows she will die in labor. That is, unless the files in their archive or Myst's understanding of modern medicine and genetics can save her—before it is too late.

This book rocked! I loved Bastian, who is a total alpha-male, one who will do anything for his men—and his woman! I also loved meeting the other Nightfuries, and I can't wait to read their stories. This was a fantastic ride, one full of fantasy and action, not to mention enough passion and desire to set the pages on fire—let me tell you, once you go dragon, you'll never go back! :)

…...

~*~*~*~*~
This review is property of NightOwlReviews.com ( )
  The_Book_Queen | May 10, 2012 |
I you follow my blog or reviews at all you know that I have a serious weakness for dragons. I am fascinated by them and will read pretty much anything that involves them. I am also a member of the Amazon Vine program and when scrolling though the newsletter one day I saw this book. There was no cover, but the summary sounded awesome. Plus, it had my favorite paranormal creatures, that’s right, dragons! So I immediately requested it and could not wait to dive into the world Coreene created.

In Fury of Fire we get a great overview of the mythology, but are not bogged down by details. In some first books of a series, the author can take a lot of time to world build and it drags down the pace of the novel. In this book, Coreene gives us just enough information so we know what is going on and understand how the world works, but the plot continues to move forward. As for the paranormal elements, the dragon-shifters are men who can transform from human to dragon as they please. They can materialize clothing, have some level of magic and the only one I had not seen before was their sensitivity to light. That little attribute took me by surprise, but it did make it interesting when people needed help during the day and the dragons were stuck indoors. I would be interested to see where this sensitivity came from in the first place, but maybe Coreene will cover that more in future installments.

Bastian is the leader of the Nightfury’s and because of this he feels he must help carry on the dragon species. He needs to find a woman in order to do this, the only problem is no woman ever survives birthing a dragon child. His guilt over finding a woman just to lose her has him hesitating, but the second he sees Myst he knows he is in trouble. Myst is a nurse practitioner who feels the same pull toward Bastian when she meets him. She is human, but there is a lot more going on with her than what we see on the surface. She is an enigma to us and to Bastian for quite a while and I am interested to learn more about her. We do get quite a few answers about her in Fury of Fire, but there are some questions still left unanswered at the end that I am hoping will be looked into more in the next book. Bastian and Myst however, were great together. Coreene took the time to let us get to know them and grow attached to them. I was invested in these two characters and really wanted to see things work out for them. They have quite a few obstacles in their way, but I enjoyed watching them work through them together.

We also meet many interesting secondary characters in the ranks of the Nightfury’s. My personal favorite was Bastian’s best friend Rikar. He is Bastian’s right hand man and has no idea how Bastian has fallen for Myst so quickly. He thinks humans are just good for letting off a little steam with a one night stand, but he too meets someone later in the book that spins his world off its axis. I am so glad that he will be the focus of the next book because I loved getting little snippets of what was going on in his head and want to see more. There are other dragons that are not part of the Nightfury rank that are mentioned, but we do not get to explore them in detail. It does however, peak my interest and gives Coreene plenty of opportunity to expand this series.

As for the action, Fury of Fire did not have a dull moment in it! Since the rivalry between the Nightfury’s and the Razorbacks has been going strong for quite some time, the two groups come together multiple times throughout the novel. Thankfully, Coreene did not add in any extra fluff or erroneous details just to fill pages. Every word drove the plot moving forward and I appreciated her getting straight to the point. It kept the fight scenes exciting because they were not bogged down with unnecessary descriptions of the setting. She did use description when needed, but it was just the right amount. Coreene was creative with the action and each battle was different and invigorating. The romantic scenes were not any different. Bastian and Myst were fighting off their attraction for one another from their very first meeting and once they finally come together they burn up the pages. Coreene definitely knows how to write some steamy moments and I relished those just as much as the action.

Overall, I loved this book! It has all the elements I have come to adore in the paranormal romance genre and the dragons were a huge bonus. Luckily, there are still two more installments coming out this year so I don’t have to wait long to dive back into this world again. I highly recommend this book to any fan of paranormal romance! ( )
  ABookwormsHaven | Feb 20, 2012 |
The Nightfuries are a group of half dragons dedicated to protecting humans while keeping their species a secret. The biggest threat to the humans are the Razorbacks, another group of half dragons lead by Ivar, a scientist who sees humans as nothing but food—the dragons need to feed on the energy of a human—and has a plan to wipe most of them out. The race had been cursed long ago to only have males, so to procreate they must mate with a female human. Unfortunately the females always die when giving birth. Bastian, the Commander of the Nightfuries, has decided that as much as he doesn’t want to hurt someone, he needs to father a son to start building up their numbers.

Myst is a nurse practitioner who carries a strong flow of energy. She comes to Bastian’s attention when his group intercepts an emergency call from Myst to 911 regarding a young woman they know of who is carrying a dragon’s child and dying. Myst is able to save the child. Bastian arrives just before the opposing side and while in human form his presence felt comforting, seeing him and his friend change into dragons is rather upsetting, as is being taken captive.

The story is told from a number of points of view. Bastien, Myst, Rikar who is Bastien’s best friend, Detective Angela Keen and Ivar, the head bad guy. Splitting it up that way works well especially since Rikar and Angela are the focus of the next book. The story on the whole is pretty good, although there are a number of things that don’t make sense and I’m hoping an explanation is provided in the next two books.

When I started reading this story I immediately felt like I was reading the world building of three other authors' series with J R Ward's standing out much more than the others. As a matter of fact it felt like at one point that I was reading a softer version (in how the characters speak) of hers just swapping out the different species and circumstances. I especially found it distracting around the middle of the book each time something new was described that matched the world and set-up she built.

Thankfully this distraction didn't last for the entire book and I was able to enjoy the story enough that I will be looking for the next book when it comes out in June.

Reviewed for Amazon Vine Voice ( )
  dearheart | Feb 4, 2012 |

A clandestine race of half-dragon, half-humans known as dragon-shifters lives among us. Bastian, leader of the Nightfury dragon clan, is sworn to protect humankind at all costs. For him, honor and duty always come first. When the clan dictates he take a human mate to sire a son, he falters, aware that for a human to birth a dragon-shifter she must die. Myst, the woman given into his care, is the most extraordinary he’s ever met, and though he can’t bear the thought of harming her, he is bound by duty.

Myst loves her life in the human world, but Bastian has captured her heart in an instant of electric connection. But Bastian and his warriors are in the middle of a deadly battle with the Razorback dragon-shifters, intent on killing every Nightfury clan member - and the humans they protect - the fate of their world and ours hangs in the balance. An extraordinary blend of action, fantasy, and steamy romance, Fury of Fire brings to life a dangerous new world intertwined with the survival of humanity, all while exploring the meaning of honor and the nature of true love.

Commander of the Nightfury dragons, Bastian leads by example and expects his warriors to follow Dragonkind's code. Honor is everything, duty no option, but when both dictate he be the first to take a mate and sire a son, Bastian falters. For the woman given into his care is most the extraordinary he's ever met and even as she steals his heart, he knows birthing his child will take her life.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,387,710 books! | Top bar: Always visible