This Is How It Ends by Kathleen MacMahon

This Is How It Ends (edition 2012)

by Kathleen MacMahon

Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:****1/2
Tags:2013_Reads, Fiction

This Is How It Ends by Kathleen MacMahon

Oma arvio: Tämä rakkaustarina soljuu eteenpäin hitaasti. Kirjaa aloittaessa tuntuu, ettei tarinassa tapahdu mitään, mutta se paranee loppua kohden. Henkilöiden tarinat syvenevät kirjan edetessä. Kertojina ovat vuorollaan päähenkilö Addie, hänen uusi ystävänsä Bruno, sisar Della ja lääkäri-isä Hugh. Tarina keskittyy perheen sisäisiin jännitteisiin ja Addien ja Bruno rakkaudeksi syvenevään ystävyyteen. Kirjassa kuvaillaan paljon Irlannin luontoa ja meri näyttelee mielestäni yhtä pääosaa. Kirjan draamaattisin osuus on aivan tarinan lopussa ja siinä selviää myös tarina teoksen nimen takana. Suosittelen kirjaa kaikille ikuidesta rakkaudesta haaveileville romantikoille. ( )
  Elina.Kristiina | Jan 5, 2014 |
Della and Addie's mother died when they were young and they were raised by their father, Hugh, a prominent doctor. Now they are in their late 30s. Della is happily married with four children. Addie has never married - although she's had heartache along the way - but has forged a career as an architect. Into their lives comes Bruno, a distant American cousin who decides to visit Ireland on a spur of the moment whim after losing his job with Lehman Brothers. Bruno and Addie meet and almost immediately fall in love. However this is a book about endings. Hugh worries about the outcome of a malpractice suit that is bringing brought against him. Bruno worries about the outcome of the upcoming American election. And Addie worries about what the future will hold for her and Bruno.

I have mixed feelings about this book. I felt quite ambivalent about it throughout, but when I finished it I realised that the characters had got under my skin more than I thought they had. One problem for me is that the author's writing style is very detached. You are told about this great love at its centre but you never really feel it. Bruno in particular never really stepped off the page for me as a fully fleshed person. At times the author addresses the reader directly, but that just compounds the feeling of detachment for what is going on.

The book builds towards an ending which should come as a surprise (be careful to avoid reviews with spoilers!), but in fact there are clues throughout which most readers will pick up on. Otherwise it's a slow moving, character driven story - which would be more successful were the characters more engaging. A good book, but not a great one. ( )
  julia.flyte | Jun 23, 2013 |
First, this book immediately pulled me in, which is an excellent thing. Second, I love that Bruno, the American visiting Ireland to find his roots, gets so into filling out his family tree (I love genealogy, personally.) Third, I find the main character, Addie, very frustrating because she is so turned off by the interest in the genealogy. Fourth, there really is just one way this could end. A little predictable. ( )
  saffron12 | Jan 7, 2013 |
Fabulous cover, awful title.

I loved this book, but I have to say I was not impressed by the title - surely the whole reason for reading a book is to find out how it ends!?
Having got that complaint out of the way, I found the book ran along at a good pace and the characters were believable.

Bruno has just left the Lehman Building in New York, his stuff packed into a cardboard box. It is the beginning of 'The crash' and Obama is running for president. Bruno decides to fulfil his late father's greatest wish and return for a visit to relatives in Ireland. Addie, meanwhile, is nursing her elderly father, who has fallen and broken both wrists. She has moved into his house with her little dog and spends her time walking on the beach, swimming whatever the weather and designing swimming pools.
Addie's father is very hesitant about meeting this American relative and so Addie tries to steer clear of him. Eventually Bruno becomes impossible to avoid and she actually discovers that she likes him. It is an improbable pairing, with very different backgrounds and an age difference of some 12 years, but the attraction is undeniable.
Needless to say, not everything runs smoothly and the ending was a tear jerker, if a bit contrived.

There are some lovely characters, including Addie's cranky old father and her sister and family of four girls. The little dog is a bit overplayed, but then I'm not a great dog lover. The wasn't a huge amount of depth to the story but I found it well written and entertaining, which is what I look for in a book. ( )
  DubaiReader | Dec 28, 2012 |
I felt this was a beautiful, heartfelt and tender debut by Kathleen MacMahon.
The year: 2008--financial meltdown, Celtic Tiger, Obama runs for president. So much hope and heartbreak.
Bruno Boylan looses his job and goes to Ireland to trace his family. He falls in love with a distant cousin, Addie.
A lyrical story - told so well I felt I was in the room with them--of their relationship, and their family, and some secrets. ( )
  coolmama | Nov 7, 2012 |
"Og så kom du" er en kjærlighetsroman med mange av de riktige elementene, men noen detaljer får det hele til å skurre.
added by annek49 | editHegnar online, Mari Aasgaard (Aug 28, 2013)

En våt mandagsmorgen utpå høsten satte Bruno Boylan omsider foten på sine forfedres jord

Omtale:
Kjærlighet i kollapsens tid

DUBLIN (Aftenposten): Da den totalt ukjente forfatterens debutroman fikk rekordforskuddet, jublet fremmede irer da de så henne på gaten http://www.aftenposten.no/kultur/Kjar...

The novel tells the story of two people who collide with each other just as the whole world seems to be caught between the drama of Obama's election and the catastrophic collapse of the global economy. Bruno is a middle-aged American banker who has come to Ireland as a refugee from the financial meltdown in his own country. Addie is an out of work Irish architect. When she meets Bruno, her life seems to be on a downward spiral. Addie and Bruno's story is a story of nationality and identity, of the power of optimism to defeat despair and the unstoppable march of time. It's the story of two people who find joy together when they were least expecting it… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,991,520 books! | Top bar: Always visible