No title (2012)

Title:
Authors:
Info:
Collections:

Free Will by Sam Harris (2012)

A great read, especially for those who think that having "free will" means that you are able to move your right arm at any given moment, as if wanting to do that is not the result of an unconscious process in the first place.

If more people would read this book, perhaps we would find a little less hate in the world, and a bit more compassion and understanding.
  bartt95 | Apr 10, 2016 |
This is a provocative read about an idea about life that is taken for granted--that seems so natural--though we know (scientifically speaking) it may not be real (not unlike our experience of "watching the sun rise.") Do I have free will? Could I have done things differently, or would something else have to change? If our notions of free will are wrong, what would it change about our lives? Our conceptions of morality? Our justice system?

A quick, clear read with some worthy questions. ( )
  bibleblaster | Jan 23, 2016 |
So, it seems that free will may be an illusion, and that's alright. The book did an admirable job of illustrating why this is, and why it doesn't have to be a problem for us. Things are a lot more out of control than we like to admit. It doesn't mean we shouldn't work within our biological limitations to be the best people we can be. It just means that we do have some built in limitations that differ from person to person. Being aware of the factors we can't control may ultimately help us to have more effective control over the things we can. ( )
  heradas | May 31, 2015 |
This book is interesting mainly because it touches upon a sacred cow that most hold dear, not just touches upon but continues to shatter. It may anger some or push others into depression, but I wasn't that shocked by his assertions; it's like he took something I've suspected intuitively and then proves it. If I had to give a pithy synopsis that anyone can understand I would use an apt quote from the book: "A man does what he wills, but does not will what he wills (Arthur Schopenhaur)." The book ends pretty weakly and I felt like many of the chapters could have been expanded, but it's a nice bite size jumping off point for the topic. ( )
  lcalvin83 | May 8, 2015 |
Not for me; not at all.
  V.V.Harding | Apr 21, 2015 |
For Hitch
The question of free will touches nearly everything we care about.

In this enlightening book, Sam Harris argues that free will is an illusion but that this truth should not undermine morality or diminish the importance of social and political freedom; indeed, this truth can and should change the way we think about some of the most important questions in life.… (more)

89 wanted2 pay1 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,874,239 books! | Top bar: Always visible