An Unexpected Guest: A Novel by Anne…

An Unexpected Guest: A Novel (edition 2012)

by Anne Korkeakivi

Collections:Your library, on deck
Tags:ALAMW12, ARC

An Unexpected Guest by Anne Korkeakivi

Synopsis:
Clare Moorhouse, the American wife of a high-ranking diplomat in Paris, is arranging a last-minute official dinner crucial to her husband's career. As she shops for fresh stalks of asparagus and works out the menu and seating arrangements, her day is complicated by rash behavior from a teenage son and a random encounter with what might be a terrorist. Still worse, a dark secret from her past threatens to emerge.

Like Virginia Woolf did in Mrs. Dalloway, Anne Korkeakivi brilliantly weaves the complexities of an age into an act as deceptively simple as hosting a dinner party.
  KateBaxter | Jan 3, 2015 |
This story is a day in the life of Clare Moorehouse, an American wife to a British diplomat posted in Paris. On this day she is organizing a dinner with dignitaries and she is seeing to every detail to make the evening successful.

Throughout the 24-hour period we learn of Clare's life before she met her diplomat husband and how her past could jeopardize his position. We go with her through the streets of Paris on her every errand before her dinner party. When her son is suspended from his boarding school we are in her head rationalizing how she will handle explaining to her husband.

Reminiscent of Virginia Woolf's Mrs. Dalloway this book also dragged for me. While I/m usually one to love detail and description I felt this got bogged down with them. The main character was described to wear beige, a neutral tone and it was also in line with her rather boring personality. She lacked depth and being that she was the character that the story was focused on made this book average.

How I acquired this book: On a visit to Half Price Books with my son.
Shelf life: 8 months ( )
  missjomarch | Aug 20, 2014 |
A diplomat's wife balances the need for a perfect evening with her wish to rescue a man accused of a murder she knows he didn't commit. ( )
  picardyrose | Oct 4, 2012 |
Anne Korkeakivi's debut novel is based on Mrs. Dalloway, with a well-to-do woman (here the wife of a British diplomat) planning an important dinner party while her life is upended. Clare has spent the past twenty years perfecting her job as a diplomat's wife, furthering his career by being discrete, decorative and an excellent guest and hostess. Their time in Paris is drawing to a close and he is angling to be next sent to Dublin instead of somewhere less comfortable and more obscure. A last minute request to host a dinner party could make or break his chances. Clare has never wanted to return to Ireland, after her one disastrous visit when she was twenty, but she's determined to support her husband; it's what she's always done. But the chance of an Irish posting is bringing forth memories, both pleasant and bitter. Her teenage son reappears that morning, unwilling to talk about some nebulous, but serious trouble he has gotten into at his boarding school back in England. The book follows Clare through her day, shopping for flowers and cheese, getting her hair done, delivering a translation she's finished, placating the cook and chatting with the guests.

An Unexpected Guest is a quiet novel; the turmoil is mostly internal, but that doesn't make it uneventful or boring. Korkeakivi writes confidently, and with an assurance not often found in a first novel. It's a pleasure to find a quiet book that isn't trite or whimsical. I'm eager to read whatever she next writes. ( )
1 vote RidgewayGirl | Sep 23, 2012 |
I loved this book! I thought it was many layered and intricate and beautifully written. I can see that it wouldn't appeal to everyone; however, I will probably read this book again to pick up nuances I didn't the first time.
  Debspage | Sep 19, 2012 |
With this seemingly slight day-in-the-life tale, Korkeakivi produces a knowing comedy of manners, a politically charged thriller and a genuinely moving study of the human heart.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316196770, Hardcover)

Clare Moorhouse, the American wife of a high-ranking diplomat in Paris, is arranging an official dinner crucial to her husband's career. As she shops for fresh stalks of asparagus and works out the menu and seating arrangements, her day is complicated by the unexpected arrival of her son and a random encounter with a Turkish man, whom she discovers is a suspected terrorist.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:45 -0400)

While planning a dinner party in Paris, the American wife of a high-ranking diplomat becomes unnerved by the unexpected arrival of her son, a random encounter with a Turkish terrorist, and the recurring appearance of someone dead for twenty years.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,298,171 books! | Top bar: Always visible