A Witch Before Dying: A Wishcraft Mystery by…

A Witch Before Dying: A Wishcraft Mystery (edition 2012)

by Heather Blake

Member:Rennee
Title:A Witch Before Dying: A Wishcraft Mystery
Authors:Heather Blake
Info:Signet (2012), Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages

A Witch Before Dying by Heather Blake

The second Wishcraft mystery. The first few chapters were a little infodumpy, giving too many details from the previous book, including some that were spoilerish. After that the book smoothed out, and was fun to read. I'll probably look for more books in the series. ( )
  SylviaC | Dec 23, 2015 |
The Good: I absolutely love this series. The books are light, fun and utterly magical. The mystery was really interesting - a missing hoarder, found dead under a pile of her junk. presumably killed for a magical amulet. With the world building out of the way, this book focused a lot more on the people and I really loved seeing a more in depth look at the town, its residents and their abilities. Darcy is a very likable character, who you naturally root for. Unlike too many other cozy mysteries heroines, she has a real reason to be involved in the investigations, making it that much easier to be sucked into the story instead of constantly wondering why anyone even talks to her.

The Bad: Aunt Ve's illness didn't work for me. It was transparent and irked me every time it came up in the story. It was a not particularly important subplot that I would have rather not been included in the story. As complaints go, it's extremely minor but it was the only thing that kept the book from being perfect. ( )
  TequilaReader | Nov 19, 2015 |
A WITCH BEFORE DYING is the second book in Heather Blake’s Wishcraft Mystery series which is set in a magical neighborhood of Salem, Massachusetts. Ms. Blake’s “witchy” cozy mysteries are a delight to read, and this one was no exception.

The mystery in this book was very good. It was complex with interwoven plot lines, and I was kept guessing until the very end. Wishcrafter Darcy Merriweather has her hands full when she’s hired to clean out a missing hoarder’s house, and she finds the dead body of the woman buried under all the junk. It was like an episode of Hoarders gone horribly wrong! Since it’s obvious foul play was involved and the woman’s dangerous magical amulet is missing, the daughter of the victim hires Darcy to find the killer. Though not an official private investigator (yet), Darcy is clever and has a knack for solving mysteries.

No big secrets of the Enchanted Village are revealed in this book, though we do get to know more characters – crafters, half-crafters, and a few who are just passing through. New relationships bloom, and old ones are severed. I especially loved seeing Darcy and Mimi’s bond grow stronger. Mimi is Darcy’s potential boyfriend’s daughter. Sweet! Like in the last book, the familiars Archie the macaw and Pepe the mouse were too funny.

This was an enjoyable read with unique characters, just the right about of woo woo, and a strong mystery that takes center stage. I give it 4.5 stars! ( )
  bookofsecrets | Apr 19, 2014 |
4 stars This is the second book in a series

I really like this series. It is a cozy mystery with magic thrown in. It works. Right after I finished this one I started reading the 3rd one in this series. If you like cozies and don't mind, or even like magic then I highly recommend this book and this series. It is a light, easy read. Well written, I look forward to more from Ms. Blake. ( )
  TeresaOM | Jun 19, 2013 |
When i got this book I really wasn't expecting much. I figured it would be a fast read and that's all I needed. I'm happy to say that it was a good mystery as well. The charactors ( both witch and mortal ) were good. Very believable. I'll be getting more of this series, just to see where the charactors end up. ( )
  Rennee | Jan 20, 2013 |

Heather Blakeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
vtjphotosAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
COPYRIGHT PAGE NOTICES (for the Mass Market Paperback Edition):

No part of this book may be reproduced, scanned, or distributed in any printed or electronic form without permission. Please do not participate in or encourage piracy of copyrighted materials. in violation the author's rights. Purchase only authorized editions.

PUBLISHER'S NOTE:
This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places, and incidents either are the product of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, business establishments, events, or locales is entirely coincidental. The publisher does not have any control over and does not assume any responsibility for author or third-party Web sites or their content.

If you purchased this book without a cover, you should be aware that this book is stolen property. It was reported as 'unsold and destroyed' to the publisher, and neither the author nor the publisher has received any payment for this 'stripped book.'

First printing, August 2012

First printing of first edition line: 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

When she discovers the dead body of Elodie Keaton's missing mother, Wishcrafter Darcy Merriweather, a witch who can grant wishes for others, must not only find a killer, but the Anicula--a wish-granting amulet--before it falls into the wrong hands.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,238,892 books! | Top bar: Always visible