A Witch Before Dying: A Wishcraft Mystery by…

A Witch Before Dying: A Wishcraft Mystery (edition 2012)

by Heather Blake

Member:Rennee
Title:A Witch Before Dying: A Wishcraft Mystery
Authors:Heather Blake
Info:Signet (2012), Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages

A Witch Before Dying by Heather Blake

A WITCH BEFORE DYING is the second book in Heather Blake’s Wishcraft Mystery series which is set in a magical neighborhood of Salem, Massachusetts. Ms. Blake’s “witchy” cozy mysteries are a delight to read, and this one was no exception.

The mystery in this book was very good. It was complex with interwoven plot lines, and I was kept guessing until the very end. Wishcrafter Darcy Merriweather has her hands full when she’s hired to clean out a missing hoarder’s house, and she finds the dead body of the woman buried under all the junk. It was like an episode of Hoarders gone horribly wrong! Since it’s obvious foul play was involved and the woman’s dangerous magical amulet is missing, the daughter of the victim hires Darcy to find the killer. Though not an official private investigator (yet), Darcy is clever and has a knack for solving mysteries.

No big secrets of the Enchanted Village are revealed in this book, though we do get to know more characters – crafters, half-crafters, and a few who are just passing through. New relationships bloom, and old ones are severed. I especially loved seeing Darcy and Mimi’s bond grow stronger. Mimi is Darcy’s potential boyfriend’s daughter. Sweet! Like in the last book, the familiars Archie the macaw and Pepe the mouse were too funny.

This was an enjoyable read with unique characters, just the right about of woo woo, and a strong mystery that takes center stage. I give it 4.5 stars! ( )
  bookofsecrets | Apr 19, 2014 |
4 stars This is the second book in a series

I really like this series. It is a cozy mystery with magic thrown in. It works. Right after I finished this one I started reading the 3rd one in this series. If you like cozies and don't mind, or even like magic then I highly recommend this book and this series. It is a light, easy read. Well written, I look forward to more from Ms. Blake. ( )
  TeresaOM | Jun 19, 2013 |
When i got this book I really wasn't expecting much. I figured it would be a fast read and that's all I needed. I'm happy to say that it was a good mystery as well. The charactors ( both witch and mortal ) were good. Very believable. I'll be getting more of this series, just to see where the charactors end up. ( )
  Rennee | Jan 20, 2013 |
Darcy and her Aunt Ve run a personal concierge service called "As You Wish". Darcy is hired to clean out a hoarder's house by the daughter, Elodie. Elodie has tried to care for the house ever since her mother disappeared 18 months ago, but it is time to clean out the hoards of stuff and try to move on. Darcy manages to uncover the mother's body in the piles of stuff, and she was definitely murdered. As if that weren't bad enough, Darcy's house is being watched by somebody in the woods, and even gets threatened. All of this on top of Aunt Ve being sick and nothing is helping her get better. With Aunt Ve sick, it falls to Darcy to finish the preparations for Ve and Sylar's wedding fast approaching. But there is somebody who is trying to sabotage the wedding as well. Darcy has plenty to keep her busy, but how will she stay safe?

I enjoyed Darcy, a thirty-something divorcée, and her interactions with the other magical people. I enjoyed her Aunt Ve and younger sister Harper as well. Her growing relationship with Nick moves naturally and without rush. Of course, Nick is a policeman, driving a mini-cooper in a pastel yellow. But he is also a dad, which I did not get to see him as a dad much. Darcy seemed to spend more time with Mimi than Nick. Some whimsical characters are Pepe, a mouse, and Archie, a scarlet macaw who loves movie trivia, who help Darcy. I think a breakout character was Marcus Debrowski, a young Lawcrafter interested in Harper. There were many characters populating the village and at times I wish there had been a cheat-sheet listing the townspeople.

The Enchanted Village of Salem is just that. The magical town has magic rules and an Elder that keeps the rules enforced. This is an entertaining backdrop that adds to the enjoyment. The plot had several things going on that kept the pace and interest up. Everything does get sorted out and explained by the end.

The confrontation with the killer had some great tense moments and was not who I expected. Good job with misdirection. The wrap up was touching and did a great job of making the reader want to return to Enchanted Village.

This is a delightful paranormal cozy with touches of whimsy for a light enjoyable mystery that will even put a smile on your face.

Rating: Near Perfect - Buy two copies: one for you and one for a friend.

Series: 2nd in Wishcraft Mysteries

Main Characters: Darcy Merriweather, A Wishcrafter (a witch who can grant wishes for others)

Setting: Modern day, Salem Massachusetts

Obtained Through: Publisher for honest review

Mysteries and My Musings Book Blog
http://www.mysterysuspence.blogspot.com ( )
  AFHeart | Nov 2, 2012 |
In Blake’s paranormal mystery novel, Darcy, a Wishcrafter, is hired by Elodie Keaton to clean up her mother’s house, a mother who has been missing for two years. Although the house is a hoarder’s dream, As You Wish is up to the task—until the missing woman’s body is found buried beneath the clutter.

Taking on the case, Darcy is determined to help Elodie solve the death of her mother. The deceased had vanished shortly after a falling out with her boyfriend leading Darcy to suspect a crime of passion. Or maybe it was magical since the Anicula, a wish-granting amulet, may have been involved as well. Now Darcy must find a killer before he finds a powerful and dangerous amulet.

A wonderful combination of magic and murder. A great installment to the A Wishcraft Mystery series. ( )
  debbieaheaton | Sep 13, 2012 |

When she discovers the dead body of Elodie Keaton's missing mother, Wishcrafter Darcy Merriweather, a witch who can grant wishes for others, must not only find a killer, but the Anicula--a wish-granting amulet--before it falls into the wrong hands.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,478,557 books! | Top bar: Always visible