Highland Captive by Mary McCall

Highland Captive (edition 2011)

by Mary McCall

811,035,133 (4.67)None
Member:ChandraGay
Title:Highland Captive
Authors:Mary McCall
Info:Champagne Books (2011), Paperback, 288 pages
Collections:Your library, Kindle, Read, 12th Century

Highland Captive by Mary McCall

AUTHOR: Mary McCall is a Historical Romance writer with a great sense of humor. While this is the first book that I have read by this author, I must say that I did laugh throughout the book and yet I felt the L'AMOUR.

GENRE: Historical romance

SETTING: 12th century, England, Scotland

CENTRAL FEMALE CHARACTERS: "Her mouth competes with my meanest foot soldier, she dresses like the lowest serf, she fights like a barbarian against boys twice her size, she plays with killer birds, and her manners are worse than your heathen sister". (Her father in this book could not have described her any better than that).

CENTRAL MALE CHARACTER: He is the Laird. He claims what he wants. He is a great warrior and tracker so forget trying to run away from him. He will take advantage of you while you are dreaming. His passion is blissful. You can frustrate him to the point of fun.

SYNOPSIS: She manages to jump ship and swim to land after being kidnapped by Vikings. She has managed to swim to the shores of Scotland. He is out hunting a wild boar that just ran into the woods when he sees her climb onto the beach and head into the same woods. When gallops into the woods to protect her, he finds that she has just killed the wild boar's mate. She is battered from her swim from the sea and he decides she is the most beautiful woman that he has ever seen. He takes her home and immediately decides that she "will be" his woman.

SEXUAL EXPLICITNESS: Measured from Inspirational romance (not explicit) to Erotica (hot, steamy and sizzling). How romantically and passionately “tasteful”. You decide.
(Quote) “Her plea sent him over the edge. He stood upright, gripped her hips, and surged into her, burying his pulsating shaft to the hilt and causing her to take mor of him than she ever had. Ensnared by lust and goaded on by a primitive need, he ignored her strangled outcry and thrust a wild rhythm".

WHAT I LIKED: Humor. His having determined where her home would be, over and over again. She always ends up in water and talks to Henry...a lot!

WHAT I DID NOT LIKE: The end was a bit confusing. Who was what. What was who. Sisters????

I give this book (4) stars because I had no appreciation for God being mixed up in some of this. The plot was great but I found some (not all) of the dialogue between characters a bit....ummm....juvenile and repetitious? But I intend to read another book by this author. ( )
  ChandraGay | Nov 14, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 192699647X, Paperback)

English-born Lady Alera of Arundrydge is a procrastinating defender and nurturer with a secret gift. She wishes to avenge crimes against her family and find her father, who is missing and presumed dead. When a nefarious uncle hands her over to Viking slavers, she escapes only to be caught by a big, sexy barbarian, whose touch ignites passion. Laird Duncan Ranald has good reason to hate all things English. They nearly wiped out his clan. Discovering the luscious beauty who washed up on his shore and stoked his lust is English, he decides to keep her as his leaman for a little revenge. Realizing she’s his soul mate, Duncan decides to wed her, but Alera won’t cooperate. Escaping Duncan becomes nearly impossible for Alera as she helps his clan and he creeps into her heart. But if she stays, how will vengeance be had and what will become of her father?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:50 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,330,070 books! | Top bar: Always visible