The way meat loves salt by Nina Jaffe

The way meat loves salt (1998)

by Nina Jaffe

Being able to read this Jewish take on a fairy tale that we all know so well was very interesting. This book was very similar to the Cinderella that most Americans are so familiar with in many ways, but it was also quite different in many others, and I enjoyed being able to make comparisons between the two.Though I've never been a big Cinderella fan, I still greatly appreciated being able to read this version of the story. I think that this would be an excellent book to somehow incorporate into a lesson about world cultures and/or religions in a pk-3 class. ( )
  btbarret | Mar 16, 2017 |
This was a different Cinderella tale, it was only slightly similar to the Cinderella we're use to. In the Jewish tale we're missing wicked step sisters, a fairy god mother turning creatures into coachmen, and beautiful glass slippers. Instead, we read about a Rabbi who kicks his daughter out because he believed she did not love him. But before then she was never mistreated. Beautiful illustrations depicts how our jewish Cinderella, Mireleh woos a Rabbi son. Oils were used to create blended colors of red, blue, and green backgrounds. Great book to show children a glimpse of cultural differences. ( )
  maturne2 | Sep 21, 2016 |
I had mixed feelings about The Way Meat Loves Salt, by Nina Jaffe. First, I enjoyed the "big picture" premise of the novel: good things will happen when people love and care for each other. This message is illustrated by the main character, Miraleh, who loves her family despite their failings.

I also enjoyed reading about Miraleh herself, as she was a very likable character. Miraleh, describes her love for her father as a meat's love for salt. This analogy showcases both Miraleh's honest personality and her straightforward attitude.

Unfortunately however, I found some of the story's plot points to be a bit random. For example, the story never explains why Miraleh wanted to go to a wedding in a far off town. Because Miraleh's motivations were not clear, it was hard for me to connect with the second part of the story.

Overall I enjoyed this book and its Jewish take on the classic Cinderella story. ( )
  ElanaRubinstein | Feb 22, 2016 |
This is a twist to the traditional Cinderella story as it has Jewish cultural background within the story. Jewish tradition and words can be seen throughout the book. When a father ask his daughter how much does she love him, the daughter replies "The way meat loves salt." Offended by this, her father throws her out of the house. But later the father discovers just what his daughter was implying. ( )
  sottallah | Apr 17, 2015 |
"The Way Meat Loves Salt" is a very different approach to the classic folktale of Cinderella. A Polish Jewish family is the root of this story. A Rabbi asks his three daughters how much they love him. When his youngest daughter, Mireleh, tells her father that she loves him as much as meat loves salt. As a result, he banishes her from the house. Another Rabbi takes her in and she appears at a wedding as a lovely maiden.

This is a lovely take on the traditional tale. It retains the classics of Cinderella, of going to a fancy event, magic to get the dress, and the missing slipper. It also encompasses many of the Hebrew traditions: hallah bread, traditional rabbi dress, huppahs, prayer, and wedding traditions.

I liked the illustrations. It uses the colors: light pinks, purple, blues, yellows, and orange with black. I personally often associate these colors with Polish tradition. It is nice to see an illustrator to use these same colors. The illustrations also depict Jewish traditional dress, which is not expressed within the story.

I like the use of Jewish tradition to tell the story. Most non-Jewish people are not as familiar with conservative or traditional aspects of the Jewish tradition. The book also gives a different approach, without being a servant to family. ( )
  larasimmons2 | Oct 9, 2013 |

-- N.J.
To Elon, Caitlin, and Tal
with love from Grandma

-- L.A.
Once upon a time in Poland, in a small town near the city of Lublin, there lived a rabbi who had a wife and three young daughters.

Many years ago in Poland, there lived a rabbi who had a wife and three daughters. One day, the rabbi asks his children a powerful question: "How much do you love me?" His older daughters profess their love in gold and diamonds, but his youngest daughter, Mireleh, declares she loves her father the way meat loves salt. For this remark, she is banished from her father's home.

In this flavorful Jewish Cinderella tale, Mireleh's courageous journey is peppered with a perfect blend of magic and romance, leading to a reconciliation with her beloved father. Lavishly illustrated in Louise August's bold linocuts, The Way Meat Loves Salt will make a wonderful gift for the Jewish holidays.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:48 -0400)

In this Eastern European Jewish variant of the Cinderella story, the youngest daughter of a rabbi is sent away from home in disgrace, but thanks to the help of the prophet Elijah, marries the son of a renowned scholar and is reunited with her family. Includes words and music to a traditional Yiddish wedding song.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,089,704 books! | Top bar: Always visible