Optiman by Brian M. Stableford

Optiman (1980)

by Brian M. Stableford

* (1) 1996 (1) @bsmtsf3 (1) C2 (1) DAW (4) DAW yellow spine (2) Donation (1) fiction (4) genetic manipulation (1) I (1) LS (1) mmpb (1) novel (2) Optimen (2) own (1) paperback (1) read (1) reviewed (1) science fiction (13) sf (6) sff (1) softcover (1) space travel (1) Stableford (1) superhero prose fiction (1) to-read (1) unread (1) Veitch (1) wants (1) wishlist (1)

This is is one of those Sci-Fi books that explores an aspect of society when taken to an extreme. In this case, we explore genetic engineering, and one scenario for what might happen as we optimize human beings. We get beat over the head with both the humanity and the INhumanity of the optimen - genetically engineered warriors. Even though we find out early on that not only are the optimen strong and fearless, they're also intelligent. As we discover, they may have turned out to be more intelligent than US. This, obviously, becomes a problem as the optimen decide that THEY are homo sapiens to the normal human's neanderthal. It takes awhile to get to the point, but it's made... time and time again. ( )
  helver | Jun 17, 2010 |
For David Pringle
Prologue:
Of all the objections which have been raised by opponents of this scheme, there are three in particular which have "crystalized out" into slogans to be wielded by the unthinking as if they were lances mounted with colored pennants.

Warfare between humanity and the Veitch had been going on for hundreds of years with no end in sight. When humans captured the planet Heidra they found themselves in control of a world with three contending species scrapping over its barren lands.

One was the Veitch refugees, one the semi-civilized natives, and one a race of barbaric nomads. For the human adventurer Remy it was the last that made his first troubles.

For Remy's destination was the uncovering of a lost military installation of a prehistoric galactic race.  Assisting him was a newly created genetic-construct warrior, an optiman. Super-human, sterile but highly intelligent, optiemen could tip the scales in cosmic conflict if they worked out as planned.

Three-way wargaming is difficult at best, but the unknown factors of the optimen could make it dangerously unpredictable to all sides.
    ----------------------------------

"My name is Andros," said the optiman. He was over two meters tall, with massive shoulders. He held the machine gun effortlessly, though an ordinary man would have staggered beneath the weight.

"I am a solider" said Andros. "One of a new breed. I am a product of genetic optimazation. I was nurtured by an artificial placenta, and some would say that makes me an android rather than a man, but my genetic material was human in origin.

"So the genetic engineering of people is no longer banned by law?" asked Remy.

"It was considered to be a logical step in the development of new and more sophisticated fighting unites," said Andros.

"And what are you doing here?" asked Remy.

"Gaining experience," replied the optiman ....

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,932,186 books! | Top bar: Always visible