Peaches for Monsieur le Curé by…

Peaches for Monsieur le Curé (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Joanne Harris

Series: Chocolat (3)

Member:pollgibbard
Title:Peaches for Monsieur le Curé
Authors:Joanne Harris
Info:Doubleday UK (2012), Hardcover, 400 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:magical realism, popular fiction

Peaches for Father Francis by Joanne Harris (2012)

Recently added byKassiddy, private library, CattleyaH, barnabasanglican, hahehei, mmoj, cctesttc1, maryhollis

English (26)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All (30)
Long before I saw the memorable film version, I read Joanne Harris' CHOCOLAT. I was captivated by her lyrical storytelling, her ability to create unforgettable places and people. From then on, I sought out her books: Her early work, SLEEP,PALE SISTER, the "heart-rendingly" good FIVE QUARTERS OF THE ORANGE, BLACKBERRY WINE, HOLY FOOLS, JIGS AND REELS,COASTLINERS, GENTLEMEN AND PLAYERS, CHOCOLAT's sequel THE GIRL WITH NO SHADOW ( oh, that insidious Zozie!) and now, PEACHES FOR FATHER FRANCIS, the third book that features Vianne Rocher.
Vianne receives a letter from Armande, her old friend from Lansquenet; but this letter was sent long after Armande's death, eight years to be exact.....
I won't say another word, except, if you like Joane Harris's work, do read this magical story. ( )
  maryhollis | Feb 20, 2017 |
It's stunning! ( )
  buckwriter | Jan 29, 2017 |
If you, like me, fear to read this book for it not to disturb your impression from Chocolat, don´t. It took me four years to get here, and I have not been able to put it down. Like Chocolat, it speaks to all your senses, and makes you long for more. ( )
  Bookoholic73 | Nov 1, 2016 |
An enjoyable book. Sort of like Act II of Stephen Sondheim's "Into The Woods;" you see what happens after "Happy ever after." After Vianne left Lansquenet at the conclusion of "Chocolat," time there did not pause while she dealt with the events in "Lollipop Shoes." Eight years have gone in the way time does in small towns: some things change little, while some things change a great deal.
I'd recommend this to those who read the other two books in the series. If you have only seen the film, please read Joanne Harris' books. You might be surprised at how different they are from the film; like dark chocolate is from milk chocolate. ( )
  DeborahJ2016 | Oct 26, 2016 |
Sequel to the classic 'Chocolat'.

Things have moved on in the eight years since Vianne left the French village of Lansquenet. There’s now quite a community of Muslims, who seem to be involved in various feuds. A young a man, who married one of the girls, is trying to insist that they should wear the traditional veils... yet he seems very progressive in other ways. And then there’s the woman in black, Ines, who was running a school for Muslim girls until it was burned down...

While the story is mainly written from Vianne’s perspective, there are some sections written from the point of view of priest Father Reynaud, who has been accused of arson. Both accounts are in the first person, which confused me slightly at first. It works well, and gives good insight into their minds, along with the growing realisation that they are not so different after all.

As with ‘Chocolat’, there’s a mystical element running through - Vianne can see people’s colours, get a sense of what they’re thinking, and has an almost magic way of making chocolate. There's some suspense too, making it difficult to put the book down at times. However, although some of Joanne Harris’s books have been really too dark for my taste, this one felt much lighter overall.

It’s a long book, well over 500 pages, and took me a while to get into, but the writing is excellent and overall I liked it very much. I would certainly recommend reading this as a sequel to ‘Chocolat’; although it stands alone, there are many references to prior events, and Vianne’s relationship with Reynaud would be much harder to understand without having read the first book. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
To my father, Bob Short, who would never let good fruit go to waste.
Someone once told me that, in France alone, a quarter of a million letters are delivered every year to the dead.
Scrying with chocolate is an uncertain business, closer to dreams than to truth, more likely to throw up fantasies than anything that I can use. It flutters like dark confetti, each piece an ephemeral fragment, gleaming for a second and then going out like a blown spark.
British title: Peaches for Monsieur le Curé (May 2012); US title: Peaches For Father Francis (October 2012);
from Wikipedia.

The bestselling author of Chocolat and The Girl with No Shadow returns to Lansquenet in this enchanting new novel, Peaches for Father Francis (in the UK called Peaches for Monsieur le Curé)

When Vianne Rocher receives a letter from beyond the grave, she has no choice but to follow the wind that blows her back to Lansquenet, the beautiful French village in which eight years ago she opened a chocolate shop and first learned the meaning of home.

But returning to one’s past can be a dangerous pursuit. Vianne, with her daughters, Anouk and Rosette, finds Lansquenet changed in unexpected ways: women veiled in black, the scent of spices and peppermint tea—and there, on the bank of the river Tannes, facing the church, a minaret. Most surprising of all, her old nemesis, Father Francis Reynaud, desperately needs her help.

Can Vianne work her magic once again?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:10 -0400)

Vianne Rochet returns to the French village of Lansquenet with her daughters, Anouk and Rosette, before allying herself with a desperate Father Frances Reynaud to reverse disturbing local changes.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,177,849 books! | Top bar: Always visible