Brothers at Bat: The True Story of an…

Brothers at Bat: The True Story of an Amazing All-Brother Baseball Team (edition 2012)

by Audrey Vernick, Steven Salerno (Illustrator)

Member:RodriguezIsabel
Title:Brothers at Bat: The True Story of an Amazing All-Brother Baseball Team
Authors:Audrey Vernick
Other authors:Steven Salerno (Illustrator)
Info:Clarion Books (2012), Hardcover, 40 pages
Rating:***
Tags:history, brothers, family, baseball

Brothers at Bat: The True Story of an Amazing All-Brother Baseball Team by Audrey Vernick

The Acerra family had sixteen children, including twelve ball-playing boys. It was the
1930s, and many families had lots of kids. But only one had enough to field a baseball
team . . . with three on the bench! The Acerras were the longest-playing all-brother
team in baseball history. They loved the game, but more important, they cared for
and supported each other and stayed together as a team. Nothing life threw their way
could stop them.
  CassityE | Apr 17, 2017 |
I have mixed feelings about this book. I liked this book because of the characters and illustrations. I liked how detailed the author went when describing the nine brothers. For example, the author did not just state the position of the player but also how old he is and a fun fact. My favorite player is Jimmy because I can also relate to nobody catching any baseballs that I throw! I also liked the author’s illustrations. The pages were not overwhelming with huge pictures, but with miniature pictures that captured what is going on in the paragraph. This was also great because I was able to better visualize what the brother’s uniforms looked like.
Although I liked the illustrations and characters, I did not like the writing of the story. I thought this book was very disorganized and did not flow smoothly. I had a hard time following this book especially when the brothers went off to war. They did not say how long the brothers were deported which made it hard to understand how old the brothers were when they joined the Long Branch City Twilight Team when they all returned home. I could only predict an age from the illustrations on that page. I also thought the book was very disorganized especially when the brothers joined the Long Branch City Twilight Team. For example, the author was talking about one of the brothers being hurt from a game. The book never told us what happened to the brother and how he recovered; it just went to the brothers being honored at the Baseball Hall of Fame. I think it would have been helpful to state if the brothers had to take time off while their other brother was hurt, if another brother had to step in, or if there were any struggles during that time period while the brother was not playing.
In conclusion, I believe that the author was trying to show readers that hard work and dedication pays off. I think the author is showing us that although the brothers went off to war they came back home and started playing baseball again. This shows how much dedication the brothers had which lead them to wear they are now. Although there is room for improvement, I liked the overall message of this book. ( )
  mmarti44 | Feb 27, 2017 |
I liked this book because the author seemed genuinely, very excited about the topic. She used many exclamation points. For example, in the sentence "And a white dog... named Pitch!" and in the sentence, "Their high school baseball team had an Acerra on it twenty-two years in a row!" This book was a non-fiction text about the 12 Acerra brothers who broke records with the baseball playing. I also liked this book because the illustrations felt very busy because there were a lot of characters in each picture and I felt like this exhibited what it probably felt like to have 11 brothers who were always running around. The big idea of this text was to inform the reader about the story of the Acerra brothers. I also believe that this book's big idea was to enforce strong family values because the author included details such as the brother's saying "We stuck together". ( )
  mwilli62 | Feb 29, 2016 |
Very enjoyable treatment of the true story of the Acerra brothers and their baseball team. The illustrations are very evocative of that era (1920s-1940s) and the prose sets the tone of family lore. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
Summary:
This biography is about the Acerra brothers who formed their own baseball team. The Acerra family was a large family that consisted of 16 children, 12 boys and 4 girls. Beginning in the 1920's, they would come home from school and start playing baseball. As long as weather permitted, they were outside playing baseball together. By 1938, the 9 oldest brothers formed their own baseball team. This book talks about their ups and downs along with their success.

Personal Reaction:
I really enjoyed this story. I found it interesting that this family literally had their own baseball team. You hear people jokingly talk about having so many children that they could have their own basketball team. I also like how they demonstrate teamwork, something all children should follow. They all got along, and didn't fight and always stuck by each other. I enjoyed reading how they continued to carry on the family tradition of family baseball players.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. The Acerra Family had a tradition of playing baseball together. I could have the students write a journal entry about a family tradition that they have. We can then share with the class.
2. The Acerra Family was extremely large. I could have the students create a picture of their own family. We can then display our family pictures and share with the class. ( )
  A.Fonville | Nov 14, 2015 |

Audrey Vernickprimary authorall editionscalculated
Salerno, StevenIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

could stop them.

Full of action, drama, and excitement, this never-before-told true story is vividly
brought to life by Audrey Vernick’s expert storytelling and Steven Salerno’s stunning
vintage-style art.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:29 -0400)

Documents the story of the Baseball Hall of Fame honorees, tracing how the Acerra family of New Jersey formed their own semi-pro baseball team in the 1930s and became the longest-running all-brother team in history.

Audrey Vernick is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,228,973 books! | Top bar: Always visible