Brothers at Bat: The True Story of an…

Brothers at Bat: The True Story of an Amazing All-Brother Baseball Team (edition 2012)

by Audrey Vernick, Steven Salerno (Illustrator)

Member:RodriguezIsabel
Title:Brothers at Bat: The True Story of an Amazing All-Brother Baseball Team
Authors:Audrey Vernick
Other authors:Steven Salerno (Illustrator)
Info:Clarion Books (2012), Hardcover, 40 pages
Rating:***
Tags:history, brothers, family, baseball

Brothers at Bat: The True Story of an Amazing All-Brother Baseball Team by Audrey Vernick

I liked this book because the author seemed genuinely, very excited about the topic. She used many exclamation points. For example, in the sentence "And a white dog... named Pitch!" and in the sentence, "Their high school baseball team had an Acerra on it twenty-two years in a row!" This book was a non-fiction text about the 12 Acerra brothers who broke records with the baseball playing. I also liked this book because the illustrations felt very busy because there were a lot of characters in each picture and I felt like this exhibited what it probably felt like to have 11 brothers who were always running around. The big idea of this text was to inform the reader about the story of the Acerra brothers. I also believe that this book's big idea was to enforce strong family values because the author included details such as the brother's saying "We stuck together". ( )
  mwilli62 | Feb 29, 2016 |
Very enjoyable treatment of the true story of the Acerra brothers and their baseball team. The illustrations are very evocative of that era (1920s-1940s) and the prose sets the tone of family lore. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
Summary:
This biography is about the Acerra brothers who formed their own baseball team. The Acerra family was a large family that consisted of 16 children, 12 boys and 4 girls. Beginning in the 1920's, they would come home from school and start playing baseball. As long as weather permitted, they were outside playing baseball together. By 1938, the 9 oldest brothers formed their own baseball team. This book talks about their ups and downs along with their success.

Personal Reaction:
I really enjoyed this story. I found it interesting that this family literally had their own baseball team. You hear people jokingly talk about having so many children that they could have their own basketball team. I also like how they demonstrate teamwork, something all children should follow. They all got along, and didn't fight and always stuck by each other. I enjoyed reading how they continued to carry on the family tradition of family baseball players.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. The Acerra Family had a tradition of playing baseball together. I could have the students write a journal entry about a family tradition that they have. We can then share with the class.
2. The Acerra Family was extremely large. I could have the students create a picture of their own family. We can then display our family pictures and share with the class. ( )
  A.Fonville | Nov 14, 2015 |
Summary:

This book was about a baseball team made up of 12 brothers in the 1920s. The Acerras brothers loved to play baseball and ultimately made history when their team was inducted in The Baseball Hall of Fame in 1997.

Personal Reaction:

I loved playing baseball when I was a child and to my recollection it was the only sport I was good at.

Classroom Extension Ideas:

1. Ask the children to name some of their favorite baseball players.
2. Have the children play catch with a waffle ball in the classroom.
  r.johnson | Jul 23, 2015 |
This story is about a group of twelve brothers who loved to play baseball. They spent all of their free time playing baseball. They loved it so much that they formed their own baseball team called the Accerras, their last name. They always had each others back no matter what. Some of the brothers even went into the military together. They played many games and won many championships and awards. They even had part of the Hall of Fame museum named after them many years after they stopped playing.
This book teaches children all about friendship and the importance of family. It shows the importance of having your own brothers back no matter what and to find what you have in common with your family. All of that forms a perfect friendship that literally last a lifetime. ( )
  hschmill22 | Oct 2, 2014 |

Audrey Vernickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Salerno, StevenIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

The Acerra family had sixteen children, including twelve ball-playing boys. It was the
1930s, and many families had lots of kids. But only one had enough to field a baseball
team . . . with three on the bench! The Acerras were the longest-playing all-brother
team in baseball history. They loved the game, but more important, they cared for
and supported each other and stayed together as a team. Nothing life threw their way
could stop them.

Full of action, drama, and excitement, this never-before-told true story is vividly
brought to life by Audrey Vernick’s expert storytelling and Steven Salerno’s stunning
vintage-style art.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:29 -0400)

Documents the story of the Baseball Hall of Fame honorees, tracing how the Acerra family of New Jersey formed their own semi-pro baseball team in the 1930s and became the longest-running all-brother team in history.

Audrey Vernick is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,531 books! | Top bar: Always visible