Demelza by Winston Graham

Demelza (1946)

by Winston Graham

6172522,564 (4.2)1 / 133

Tags: Fiction, Historical Fiction, Romance, Cornwall/England, Post-Revolutationary War, Mining

Plot Overview: Demelza is the second book in the Poldark series. As some background, Ross Poldark recently returned home from fighting in the Revolutionary War in America and came home to discover his fiancé didn’t wait for him and was now engaged to be married to his cousin. He comes back to his house in a bit of a shambles and has to start over. After he invests in a new mine and gets it up and running, he gets entangled with Demelza and eventually marries her, to the disappointment of high society in Cornwall. The second book picks up where the first book left off with Demelza having given birth to their new baby. She then goes on a secret mission to bring love back into Verity’s life (Verity being Ross’s other cousin), which results in a whole slew of problems.

Characters: While Ross was really the focus of the first book, the second book focuses in more on Demelza’s character (though the book does cover a vast number of characters living in Cornwall). She struggles with having come out of poverty and trying to fit in to high society and the people of Ross’s class. Demelza’s greatest downfall is that she wants to please everyone (at least most people) and make sure everyone has found happiness wherever it may be. So, she will go to the ends of the earth to make sure that the people she loves are happy even if this means acting impulsively and making rash decisions.

Stand-Outs: The Poldark series so far has been fairly atmospheric, being set in the countryside of Cornwall. It’s a bit slow-moving but really fits the bill as far as a good BBC/PBS drama goes (there’s a show!). There’s a vast cast of characters and the story really stays true to the time period.

If you like: English countryside settings, slow-building plots, lots of description, post-Revolutionary War time period, a bit of romance, BBC style sweeping atmospheric tales ( )
  justagirlwithabook | Jul 31, 2018 |
Demelza, the second book in the Poldark series, is what second books should be, even better than the first. The story builds to a crescendo, and even though I knew from watching the TV series exactly what was in store, I was glued to every page and full of emotion by the end.

What I love the most about this story is that every character is fully developed and very real. No one is always right, no one always wrong. They do things without fully understanding the consequences of their actions; they endeavor to right things and frequently make them worse; they love and hate--and sometimes both emotions are thrown at the same individual. There are complicated family relationships (and who doesn’t have those?) and there is jealousy and greed and every other aspect of being human and fallible.

I am not one who generally reads a series. I seldom want to commit that kind of time and energy to one story, and I fear that, like a TV show that goes on too long, the author will begin to short change his audience because he should have closed out a story that he is milking along. If the second book of this series is any indicator, I will be glad that I made an exception in this case.
  phantomswife | Jul 6, 2018 |
As with book 1 this one is similar to the tv series, but not exactly. It takes you almost to the end of season 1. ( )
  egrant5329 | Jan 20, 2018 |
  egrant5329 | Jan 20, 2018 |
One of the reasons I wanted to read this series is to see how it differs from the show and to compare and contrast them. This book was not a let down (as if it ever could have been!) The story lines were engaging, the writing was beautiful, and the characters will wrench your heart out. A wonderful addition to this series and I can't wait to see what book three has to offer! I would recommend this book. 5 out of 5 stars. ( )
  Beammey | Nov 20, 2017 |
Ross slid into the room. She was playing the music from one of Arne's operas. He listened for some minutes, glad of the scene, glad of the music, and the bordering quiet. This was what he came home for.
He stepped silently across the room and kissed the back of her neck.
She squeaked, and the spinet stopped on a discord.
"A slip o' the finger and phit, yer dead," said Ross in Jud's voice.
"Judas! you give me a fright, Ross. Always I'm getting frights of some sort. No wonder I'm a bag of nerves. This is a new device, creeping in like a tomcat."
Hers was the loveliness of gracious, aristocratic womanhood, used to leisure and bred to refinement. She came from uncounted generations of small landed gentlefolk. There had been a Chynoweth before Edward the Confessor, and, as well as the grace and breeding, she seemed to have in her a susceptibility to fatigue, as if the fine pure blood was flowing a little thin. Against her Demelza was the upstart: bred in drunkenness and filth,a waif in a parlor, an urchin climbing on the shoulders of chance to peer into the drawing rooms of her betters; lusty, crude, unsubtle, all her actions and feelings were a stage nearer nature. But each of them had something the other lacked.
aka Elizabeth's Story

A historical saga featuring Ross Poldark who rescues an impoverished miner's daughter from a fairground rabble and makes her his wife, but the events of these turbulent years test their marriage and their love. From the author of TREMOR.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:22 -0400)

Demelza Carne, the miner's daughter Ross Poldark rescued from a fairground rabble, is now his wife. But the events of these turbulent years will test their marriage and their love. Ross begins a bitter struggle for the rights of the mining communities -- and sows the seed of an enduring enmity with powerful George Warleggan.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,839,724 books! | Top bar: Always visible