Romeo Redeemed by Stacey Jay

Romeo Redeemed

by Stacey Jay

As with [b:Juliet Immortal|9972882|Juliet Immortal (Juliet Immortal, #1)|Stacey Jay|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1358273112s/9972882.jpg|13479602], great idea...good book. I liked this one less than Juliet's book because there were even more Mercenary/Ambassador things, and that was less interesting to me than actually redeeming Romeo. Ariel was a great character, and even Romeo grew on me after a while. It was a bit strange how Juliet's story wasn't wrapped up after all, and I'm still not sure about that ending, but it was a fast read and rather entertaining. ( )
  camibrite | May 25, 2014 |

This is the sequel to Juliet Immortal, by Stacey Jay, and picks up the story right where we were left, just that now Romeo takes centre stage, and he does a better job telling his story than Juliet did telling hers.

All the book's events take time in three days, which seems like a short time (and it is) but the author does a good job squeezing said time, though the end still felt a little bit crowded.

As I mentioned before, this book follows Romeo, he's been condemned to spend the rest of his days like a repulsive monster, the result of all his evil-doing, but Juliet's protector from the previous book appears to him with an offer: get Ariel to fall in love with him, and he'd be saved.

Romeo thinks this is an easy job, but something he did not consider happens. He falls in love with Ariel. The way the romance developed was fast, obviously because it happens in only three days, but it didn't really bother me as I thought it would since when I read it I could feel the connection between then, it felt natural. It was sweet and cute and sometimes over the top, but still enjoyable.

My only problem is how most of the important stuff happened during the final chapters. The story climax was a bit confusing as to who was playing whom, and a lot of important stuff was told instead of shown.

Romeo and Ariel were really strong characters, and were able to provoke so many emotions while reading them. They had flaws, and had made mistakes, but eventually learnt from those. And they made each other stronger and better. ( )
  Samscar | Jun 5, 2013 |
Originally posted on A Reader of Fictions.

Something I love to do but don't get to all that often is read a series pretty much back to back. With a memory like mine, reading the series altogether is the only way that I can guarantee I don't miss key plot lines or internal references. Although Juliet Immortal has apparently not been especially popular with bloggers, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the book. Romeo Redeemed struck me as one of the most consistent sequels I have ever encountered. I liked and disliked the very same things about this one as the first, so, if you liked Juliet Immortal, you're in for another crazy, fun ride.

At the opening of Romeo Redeemed, Romeo wanders the earth in his specter form, more disgusting than any zombie. All he feels is pain. He hears the screams of people running away from him. Basically, he's Humperdinck if Westley followed through on his threats. The Nurse offers him a choice, though: perform a trial task for a chance to become an Ambassador or continue living in his refuse heap of a body. Unsurprisingly, he chooses to do anything other than be himself. His task: to make Ariel fall in love with him.

Ariel, the girl whose body Juliet inhabited and died in during Juliet Immortal in an alternate universe, has problems. She's got scars on her face, no self-confidence and she hears voices sometimes, and, when she does, she wets herself. Because of an episode like that, she's been a pariah at school since childhood, with only one friend, Gemma, who isn't necessarily the most supportive BFF all the time, focusing more on her own drama and needs.

Romeo has been put, again, into the body of Dylan. He takes over mid-date, after Ariel's learned Dylan was trying to sleep with her for a bet and before she tries to drive the car off the road. With foreknowledge of what she would do, he manages to prevent the accident. She gets out of the car and runs. He, with the need to woo her, talks her down and convinces her to spend the rest of the night with him.

As with Juliet Immortal, I liked the writing a lot, and the reading of the book was a pleasurable experience, but the romance plot line makes me antsy. My biggest problem is that Ariel, poor, damaged Ariel, would never trust someone so quickly, let alone a guy who bet on her and threatened rape. She has trouble trusting her mom, who loves her even if she's not great about saying so. Why would she trust Dylan/Romeo? In the course of just three days, she falls in love with him. I'm not saying he couldn't have made her fall in love with him over time, but three days? No. Issues with self-worth and trust do not go away that quickly. They just don't.

Romeo, too, inevitably falls for Ariel, which makes more sense, considering that's what he's always done. Romeo's thoughts: "Oooh, a pretty girl. I wonder if she'll sleep with me. Probably not yet. Maybe if we were in love? Oh, sweet torture to love her so but not be able to, you know, love her so." Thus, I can accept this part, and laugh at Romeo's idiocy. He manages to act all jaded for like twenty pages, but very quickly returns to his natural state: obsession with the first pretty girl to cross his path. Some people grow and change, like Juliet did in some ways, and some don't, like Romeo.

I so wanted to be able to give this book a 4, that extra bump up, but I just couldn't do it. What it came down to was the ending, which was just too cheesy. Where I wanted her to go tragedy, she went drama! Romeo and Ariel living happily forever after? I THINK NOT. Also, there's a twist that did not work for me at all.

Though by no means a perfect series, I appreciate these books for taking a fresh, completely unique look at an overdone series. For my tastes, they could have benefited from a couple dashes more cynicism, but at least I got to revel in how much Romeo and Juliet didn't work out. ( )
  A_Reader_of_Fictions | Apr 1, 2013 |
Romeo Redeemed is the follow-up to Juliet Immortal and brings us Romeo’s story. I was captivated by Stacey Jay’s retelling of the Shakespeare tragedy Romeo and Juliet and was pleased to receive an early copy of book two. It is a beautiful love story, a tale of redemption and the power of forgiveness. I quickly became immersed in the tale and walked away feeling all warm and fuzzy. It was the perfect Sunday afternoon read.

The tale picks up after immediately after book one ends. Romeo now cursed is walking around in a rotting corpse and for the first time in almost eight hundred years, he feels. He feels pain, hunger, cold, and loneliness. Despite this, he feels his curse is deserved. He was able to save Juliet and undo his wrong and for this he would do it again. He is approached by Nurse and offered a chance to join the Ambassadors; a chance to redeem his soul. There is a condition; He must prove himself worthy and will have to complete a mission. If successful he may save the world and join the Ambassadors. He readily agrees to her terms. He must travel back in time and save Ariel Dragland. To save her he must make her fall in love with him and turn her towards the light. Unbeknownst to Ariel she is an important key to both the Mercenaries and the Ambassadors. If he fails, he will return to his rotting corpse. When Romeo is transported back he finds himself once again in Dylan’s body. He is in the car with Ariel, seconds before she grabs the wheel. Now he has to convince her, that he isn’t an arse and make her fall in love. He has three days to win her heart. The tale that unfolds was delicious. It was filled with twists and turns that had my heart racing.

I really like Romeo in all of his flawed, smexy glory. Yep, he was a bad boy, perhaps shallow but we get to see the continuation of the transformation that began in book one and it was lovely. Ariel blossoms in this version and I liked her. She doesn’t accept crap from anyone and begins to stand up for herself. She sees sadness in Romeo and feels he needs her. She suffers from nightmares and voices, and releases them through her art. Ariel is constantly tested throughout this tale by her friends, enemies and her own doubts. At times she wavered in her beliefs but overall I was impressed with her character. The romance was sweet, beautiful and believable. I loved the depth and wonder they experienced. Jay made me feel it, I wanted them to conquer all and get their HEA. Juliet, Rosaline and Ben make appearance, and weave back into the tale. The roles of the Ambassadors and Mercenaries become clearer. I loathed the Friar and the sickly sweet Nurse.

Filled with messages of forgiveness, redemption and the power of love, Jay does a fantastic job of engaged the reader. I loved the paranormal woo-woo she weaved into this tale and dare I say it, I actually liked Romeo Redeemed better than book one..Eep..It’s true! Maybe because we understood more of the back-story and the characters were more fleshed-out. Whatever the reason, fans of the first will love this one. The tale is told from three POV’s and I felt it added to the suspense and depth of characters. The storyline has a great pace, but at times it felt a wee bit messy. None of it was enough to distract me from the overall tale and at times I blamed my own eagerness. We get an action packed, and suspenseful ending. Jay did a great job of tying up all the plots and I was well satisfied.

I recommend Romeo Redeemed to fans of Juliet Immortal and retellings. I thought this was a delightful, face-paced, action-packed read with a romance that left me breathless. The paranormal elements weaved into the tale made this unique and the characters made it surreal. Stacey Jay is an author whose works I would try again.

I want to thank Random House for providing this ARC in exchange for my unbiased review.
Kimba the Caffeinated Book Reviewer ( )
  kimbacaffeinate | Mar 30, 2013 |
Source: eARC from NetGalley

Many YA stories have drawn on the whole Romeo and Juliet tradition of tragic, forbidden teenage love. I liked Juliet Immortal's creative remix of the Romeo and Juliet story and was eager to read this sequel. Romeo Redeemed is a more ambitious book than its predecessor. Romeo Redeemed uses three points of view rather than two, plays with parallel universe theory, and delves even deeper into the play that inspired it.

Juliet Immortal did a very good job of making the reader detest Romeo and I liked the way that this book slowly turns those feelings around.

I was fairly confused about the whole Mercenary/Ambassador thing in Juliet Immortal, and I didn't understand it any better in Romeo Redeemed. Given the triple POVs and the two separate storylines, there's also a lot crammed into this book. One major plot point that isn't even shown in real time -- it's just related through dialogue -- and that made the last third of the book feel a little rushed to me.

Those small complaints aside, there's a fantastic twist at the end that neatly ties everything together -- a twist I didn't see coming at all. The way that Juliet Immortal and Romeo Redeemed take the very familiar story of Romeo and Juliet apart, mix it up and then cleverly put it all back together was very impressive. I thoroughly enjoyed both of these books, as they play on some very familiar YA tropes in a way that's really fresh and creative. If you love tangled love stories and retellings, definitely check these books out.

Read full review on my blog and find more great YA to read and win!
  JenRyland | Mar 30, 2013 |

All will be revealed for fans who have breathlessly awaited the sizzling sequel to Juliet Immortal. This time Romeo takes center stage and gets one chance, and one chance only, to redeem himself.

Cursed to live out eternity in his rotted corpse, Romeo, known for his ruthless, cutthroat ways, is given the chance to redeem himself by traveling back in time to save the life of Ariel Dragland. Unbeknownst to her, Ariel is important to both the evil Mercenaries and the love-promoting Ambassadors and holds the fate of the world in her hands. Romeo must win her heart and make her believe in love, turning her away from her darker potential before his work is discovered by the Mercenaries. While his seduction begins as yet another lie, it soon becomes his only truth. Romeo vows to protect Ariel from harm, and do whatever it takes to win her heart and soul. But when Ariel is led to believe his love is a deception, she becomes vulnerable to Mercenary manipulation, and her own inner darkness may ultimately rip them apart.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:25 -0400)

In modern-day California Romeo is offered one last chance to redeem himself by switching sides and becoming an Ambassador--if he can prove himself worthy by making Juliet, as Ariel, love him in a reality with a different past than his own.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,330,909 books! | Top bar: Always visible