The Gospel Cinderella by Joyce Carol Thomas

The Gospel Cinderella

by Joyce Carol Thomas

Other authors: David Diaz (Illustrator)

5419218,071 (4.25)None

I loved this version of cinderella! This version is about a black queen of rhythm who is known for her singing. She loses her child in a hurricane and her baby daughter gets swept away to her evil stepmother and sisters. It's time for the queen to retire so she has a singing convention and it's pretty much a contest of who will become the princess of rhythm. Cinderella sneaks off to perform and gets the whole crowds attention as she sings like an angel, but before her evil family could recognize her she runs off home. The prince goes to each house hearing everyone sing to find this mystery singer and finally finds Cinderella in the back of the house painting. Cinderella is now the princess of rhythm and reunited with her mother. I really loved this version of Cinderella, because its different from the typical glass slipper and ball dance story. ( )
  jherrera | Oct 9, 2017 |
The Gospel Cinderella was a great read. It was nothing like the Cinderella everyone knows. Gospel Cinderella had no fairy godmother. Instead, after all the chores and putting up with the mean mother and sisters Cinderella would sing. That would make everyone more mad. I like how they did not have a prince or fairy godmother to save the day. Gospel Cinderella wanted to be heard so she sang from the back. She was dedicated and fought for her dreams. I would say the theme of Gospel Cinderella would be to fight for your dreams and do not let anyone take anything from you. Gospel Cinderella wanted to be heard so she sang. However, she did have to run in order for the mom and step sisters to find out. The language was lively and very detailed. I liked this story a lot because it is set in the south. We know this because she references the swamp, hurricanes, and gospel music. I think this is a definite read for my future classroom. ( )
  Phallan | Mar 15, 2017 |
This Cinderella story was nothing like the one I have come to know. In this Southern swamp version, Cinderella is lost down the stream because of a hurricane. An evil woman raises her with her two new step sisters. As she got older, they made her cater to them and they got meaner and meaner. One of Cinderella's many talents was to sing, and that she could do really well. The leader of the Great Gospel Choir was retiring so they needed a new leader. Fliers were put everywhere and Cinderella wanted to try out. Instead, she was told to help her step sisters learn a song for their audition. When the time came for their audition, they sung horrible and did not win. At the end, Cinderella worked up the courage to sing and everyone loved it; she had a beautiful voice. However, she did not want to be caught at the audition so she ran all the way back home. The choir was searching and searching for her, but she could not be found. They finally found her and brought her to Queen Mother Rhythm. Queen Mother Rhythm realizes that she is actually her daughter that she lost many years ago because of the hurricane. This is a great story to read to children, especially since we live in the South and know all about hurricanes. The setting and illustrations are original to the story of Cinderella and I have truly enjoyed this book. ( )
  Sierra.Coupel | Sep 17, 2016 |
"Cinderella" is my all time favorite fairytale. I absolutely loved this version of the classic Cinderella! In some ways the plot is very similar to original but this rendition differs quite a bit. I love the fact that this Cinderella is not based on magic or finding Prince Charming. This story is based on a love for music and fighting for your dreams. When Cinderella finds out there is an opening for a new lead singer for the Great Gospel Choir she was determined to make the audition. Unlike the original story, Cinderella had no fairy godmother. After she finished all of her chores, Cinderella made the long journey to the convention on her own. Right after the audition Cinderella had to hurry home before her step sisters and step mother noticed her there. The Queen Mother Rhythm and Prince of Music were determined to find her. The next day the Prince set off in search for their new lead singer. Just like any fairytale, there is a beautiful ending. Cinderella took he deserved position as lead singer and finally got the family she has always longed for. My favorite part of this book was the setting. It was apparent to me that this book was probably set in the south. They have many southern references such as swamps, gospel music, and hurricanes. ( )
  Jmreed1 | Feb 17, 2016 |
This was a great spin on the traditional tale of Cinderella, and one that young girls--or readers in general can actually relate to. In contrast to the traditional tale, there was no fairy god mother in this book. Cinderella went after her dreams on her own. I really appreciate that in a "fairytale" because in life there are no fairy god mother's. It is great to teach children that they can accomplish great things on their own--they can create their own magic. In addition, this tale brought a multi-cultural reference which children can never have enough of. ( )
  kitbraddick | Apr 30, 2015 |

Joyce Carol Thomasprimary authorall editionscalculated
Diaz, DavidIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Once upon a time . . .

There was a singing Cinderella?

Yes, with a voice as flavorful as licorice.

There was also a Crooked Foster Mother and two evil sisters. A Queen Mother Rhythm and a Prince of Music.

And while there's no glass slipper to leave behind at the Great Gospel Convention, there is an enchanted melody for the Prince to search for . . . and to find.

Award-winning author and poet Joyce Carol Thomas and Caldecott Medal-winning artist David Diaz have infused the classic Cinderella tale with a soulful twist.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:27 -0400)

A variation on the traditional Cinderella story set in a Southern swamp and with a Great Gospel Convention instead of a ball.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,449,459 books! | Top bar: Always visible