A Dangerous Inheritance: A Novel of Tudor…

A Dangerous Inheritance: A Novel of Tudor Rivals and the Secret of the…

by Alison Weir

I love historical fiction. I also love Alison Weir. So when I found out I won a copy of A Dangerous Inheritance, I was super excited. I had high expectations for this book and I was not let down.

The plot was very interesting. I just wanted to keep reading so I could find out what was going to happen next. I couldn’t read fast enough. Even though it is a pretty big book, the plot and Weirs writing make it seem a lot shorter than it really is. I flew right through it.

The characters are well-developed and you actually care about them and what they are going through. I really liked Kate Plantagenet, but I loved Katherine Grey.

Overall, this book was amazing. It wasn’t the best I’ve read, but it is definitely up there. I think the only reason I’m not giving this book five stars, is because of how horrible weir made Queen Elizabeth seem compared to Queen Mary. I know she wasn’t perfect but I do look up to her and I think she was the best Queen.

If you’re in to historical fiction, you should give this book a read. If you’ve never read anything by Alison Weir before, you are missing out. ( )
  TheTreeReader | Nov 25, 2017 |
This is one of Weir's historical fiction books focusing on the lives of two women: Katherine Plantagenet, Richard III's illegitimate daughter, and Katherine Grey, the younger sister of Jane Grey. I liked both the protagonists but couldn't really muster that much enthusiasm for the mystery of the princes in the Tower, which starts to occupy the minds of both the protagonists. ( )
  mari_reads | Sep 9, 2017 |
Difficult to follow since chapters alternate between Richard III's daughter Kate and Katherine Grey, rival of Elizabeth I. Much focus on the mystery of the princes in the tower although there is no historical reason to think either lady worried about them. Lots of good historic info, just hard to keep it all straight (and dates on the family trees at the front would have helped a lot). ( )
  gailw | Mar 27, 2016 |
Historical fiction about two royal Katherines: Richard III's baseborn daughter Katherine Plantagenet, and Henry VIII's grand-niece Katherine Grey. They lived several generations apart, yet there are similarities between them. Weir creates even more, inventing a love affair for Katherine Plantagenet to match Katherine Grey's idiotic passion for Edward Seymour and giving each of them an interest in the princes in the tower.

Katherine Grey has always been one of my least favorites: she doesn't seem to have been brilliant like her older sister Jane or her cousin(ish) Queen Elizabeth, and she was astoundingly awful at understanding court politics. At least Mary queen of Scots had moments of audacity--Katherine Grey seems to have continually stumbled from one poorly-understood ploy to the next. Like, check this: after watching Mary execute multiple family members for messing with the succession, she's still stupid enough to switch her religion multiple times in obvious hopes of being more attractive to various factions. Then Elizabeth takes the throne, and Katherine conspires with the Spanish. Then she secretly marries a dude even after being reminded a million times by everyone that she can't marry without permission from the queen. She has sex with him all the time and gets pregnant. She keeps her pregnancy secret for like 8 months, at which point she confides in Lord Robert Dudley, literally the worst person in the world to tell this kind of secret to. Naturally, Dudley tattles and Elizabeth sends her to the Tower, where it turns out that Katherine was *so* secret about her marriage that it's the easiest thing in the world for Elizabeth and her ministers to pretend no marriage ever took place, and that Katherine is a fornicator and her child a bastard. Then, like the genius that Katherine is, she sneaks her husband into the Tower and she gets pregnanta again, never bothering to clear up whether she's truly married or, for that matter, getting married a second time to ensure this second child is clearly legitimate. Katherine then spends the rest of her life in captivity and eventually dies of what was probably tuberculosis. Her numbskullery is difficult to read in history books--when we're embedded in her thought process in a fictional story that strives to make her a sympethetic character, it's even more annoying.

Katherine Plantagenet is a bit more controlled. She seems blind in regards to her father, but given her youth and their relationship in this book it was understandable (if a bit frustrating). Very little is actually known about Katherine, however: not her birthdate, not her mother's identity, not whether she had children or when she died. Guesses to her birthdate can be made, in that it has to be somewhere between her father's birthdate and her own marriage, and her mother might have been one of several women her father gave grants to. All that we really know about Katherine is that she married William Herbert in May 1484, her father Richard III granted them several manors and cash, and that she was dead by 1487, when her husband was described as a widower. Weir makes up everything else about Katherine, and although she comes across as pretty well-rounded, it's annoying to know that it's all just guess-work, especially since Katherine Grey's section is well-founded in fact. Even some of Katherine Grey's words are exactly as she wrote them!

Also annoying is the connection Weir invents between the Katherines: she has Katherine Grey repeatedly visited by ghosts, or glimpsing or feeling Katherine's presence. It added a layer of falsity to an already strained story. When Weir is working with historical fact, her storytelling style is on much firmer ground. I wish she would go back to writing histories instead of historical fiction, but at least it's better than Phillipa Gregory's work. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
This novel starts with a first person point of view of Catherine Grey (Lady Jane's younger sister) at the point of the first intrigue to usurp Queen Mary's throne. At first, I was a little annoyed because she had already told this story in Innocent Traitor. But the story carried way beyond the beheading of Jane Grey and through the politics of Queen Elizabeth's early reign. It is interspersed with the third person story from the previous century of Richard III's bastard daughter. It ties the two women together and gives a very interesting look on what Richard might really have been like and that all of the bad things we hear of him were rumors started by Henry Tudor before the Battle of Bosworth, when he defeated Richard and took the English Crown. As always, the historical details were impeccably followed from contemporary source documents. I think this is my favorite Alison Weir novel apart from Innocent Traitor! ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 22, 2016 |

When her older sister, Lady Jane Grey, the Nine Days’ Queen, is executed in 1554 for unlawfully accepting the English crown, Lady Katherine Grey’s world falls apart. Barely recovered from this tragic loss she risks all for love, only to incur the wrath of her formidable cousin Queen Elizabeth I, who sees Katherine as a rival for her insecure throne.

Interlaced with Katherine’s story is that of her distant kinswoman Kate Plantagenet, the bastard daughter of Richard III, the last Plantagenet king. In 1483, Kate travels to London for Richard’s coronation, and her world changes forever.

Kate loves her father, but before long she hears terrible rumors about him that threaten all she holds dear. Like Katherine Grey, she falls in love with a man who is forbidden to her. Then Kate embarks on what will become a perilous quest, covertly seeking the truth about what befell her cousins the Princes in the Tower, who may have been victims of Richard III’s lust for power. But time is not on Kate’s side, or on Katherine’s.

Katherine finds herself a prisoner in the Tower of London, the sinister fortress that overshadowed the lives of so many royal figures, including the boy princes. Will Elizabeth demand the full penalty for treason? And what secrets will Katherine find hidden within the Tower walls?

Alison Weir’s new novel is a page-turning story set within a framework of fascinating historical authenticity. In this rich and layered tapestry, Katherine and Kate discover that possessing royal blood can prove to be a dangerous inheritance.

A tale inspired by the life of Lady Jane Gray's younger sister, Katherine, interweaves the tragic story of her imprisonment in the Tower of London with the fates of three other innocent political prisoners including Kate Plantagenet and boy princes Edward and Richard.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Alison Weir's book A Dangerous Inheritance was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,134,765 books! | Top bar: Always visible