The Kingmaker's Daughter by Philippa…

The Kingmaker's Daughter (edition 2012)

by Philippa Gregory, Bianca Amato (Reader)

Member:thiscatsabroad
Title:The Kingmaker's Daughter
Authors:Philippa Gregory
Other authors:Bianca Amato (Reader)
Info:Simon & Schuster Audio (2012), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD, 400 pages
Rating:***

The Kingmaker's Daughter by Philippa Gregory (Author)

The Kingmaker's Daughter by Philippa Gregory - good

I've always liked historical fiction (in my teens I devoured Jean Plaidy books) and I like Philippa Gregory. She researches her subject in detail and then builds up a story around the facts. Of course, it is fiction, but....

I have to admit to being a little varied in my feelings on her Cousins' War books. Whilst I have no problem with her characters believing that someone was practising witchcraft, I don't like the idea that the characters themselves believed they could do so. This means that I didn't particularly like The White Queen, and haven't managed to start The Lady of the Rivers yet. I did, however, like The Red Queen and I especially liked this book.

Anne Neville (the Kingmaker's Daughter in question) is someone I knew very little about other than her existence. What the author achieves here (and with the other books in the series) is show us the events from differing viewpoints: York, Lancaster and Warwick: a family who tried to manipulate the succession, changing sides to suit and to advance their own fortunes.

All very interesting. I already have The Lady of the Rivers and The White Princess, I shall certainly read the latter pretty soon and will continue to debate reading the former. The beauty of it being the same story from different pov's means it really doesn't matter too much if I skip it or read it out of order. ( )
  Cassandra2020 | Jan 24, 2016 |
The fourth book in the Cousin's War series follows Anne Neville, daughter of Yorkist Richard Neville, Earl of Warrick known as the “Kingmaker” for his making and unmaking of England's kings during the War of the Roses. The story begins in 1465 with Anne, her sister Isabel, and their parents in attendance at the court of Edward IV and his queen, Elizabeth Woodville. Anne finds herself fascinated with Elizabeth, in spite of the fact that she is disliked by many. Considered an upstart, she is a widow and the first commoner to marry a King of England. At the time, Anne has no idea how great a role she will play in her life.

Anne has been promised to Richard of Gloucester, a younger brother of King Edward IV, but when her father turns against the King, she is married off to Edward, Prince of Wales of the House of Lancaster. That will soon end in her being widowed and abandoned by her family. Dramatically saved by Richard of Gloucester, they fall in love and marry in what is an unusual love story for the time.

I admit that I love Richard III and my favorite historical fiction book is “The Sunne in Splendour” by Sharon Kay Penman. This book also reveals an unusual view of the man who later becomes Richard III through the eyes of his loyal wife and depicts him in a softer light as he is caught between his two brothers and their competing interests. It is more fascinating if you have read The White Queen as it paints a different picture of Elizabeth Woodville and her influence on Edward IV. The Kingmaker's Daughter is a fascinating account of political intrigue in England during the War of the Roses. It's both tragic and spellbinding.
  Olivermagnus | Jan 17, 2016 |
Lately, it seems like Philippa GregoryÛªs books have been hit or miss for me recently. This book was definitely a miss for me in the Cousins‰Ûª Wars series.

I have to say, I did not enjoy her interpretation of Anne Neville. I prefer other authors‰Ûª interpretations of Anne, where she is more endearing, loving, and kind. But here she is petty, ambitious and holds a grudge for like forever. OK, mind you Anne isn‰Ûªt even remotely as ambitious as Margaret Beaufort or Elizabeth Woodville, but her ambitions were totally misplaced and instilled in her through her reckless family, who aren‰Ûªt even that great to be named ‰ÛÏkingmakers‰Û. It is totally understandable that you would hold a grudge over someone else for having a hand in the death of a beloved family member(s), but come on to accuse Elizabeth Woodville of poison repeatedly throughout the story gets repetitive and are often thrown out without any solid basis. Honestly, that part of Elizabeth involving poison and witchcraft is open for interpretation and are most likely slander due to her sudden rise to prominence and greed. And how Anne constantly mentions Elizabeth (OK if you kind of ignore the whole revenge part), it just seems like Anne is intensely jealous of everything about her (clothing, children, family, and being Queen of England), like *sigh* where have we heard that before and how did she luck out in being part of a family that was famously part of the War of the Roses? As for holding a grudge, she wasn‰Ûªt really the target of malice, it‰Ûªs mostly her father who‰Ûªs the target, plus what she considers to be a grudge is like nothing compared to the rest of the other key players in the War.

I know historical fictions are totally open to interpretation by the authors but there were times this interpretation took it too far. Seriously, the chapters are short and doesn‰Ûªt really focus too much about the ongoings of the Cousins‰Ûª War at times. The feeling I get is the Warwicks/Nevilles are total usurpers themselves too, who try to justify the their cause with a puppet king. Ugh, I don‰Ûªt know how the entire family think they deserve to look down on people, just because they are ‰Û÷kingmakers‰Ûª and are remotely royal (like seriously who isn‰Ûªt given how many children some royals have).

Also, there was absolutely no passion or love match between Anne and Richard. They are like a coupon in a loveless and somewhat cold marriage that was only done to benefit the other party in some way (Anne in escaping her sister and brother-in-law‰Ûªs greedy grasps and Richard in gaining substantial land and money through Anne‰Ûªs inheritance).

Another thing that I hated. Cecily would never go around telling random people (even if Anne is family) that Edward and Elizabeth‰Ûªs marriage wasn‰Ûªt valid, hence the children were bastards. Like, she would be much more discreet, regardless of how much she doesn‰Ûªt like Elizabeth. And besides it wasn‰Ûªt until just before George‰Ûªs ‰ÛÏdeath‰Û and Edward‰Ûªs passing that this ‰ÛÏrumour‰Û went around. This story only succeeds in establishing that Anne is a minor pawn who isn‰Ûªt that great of a player and had considerable luck to be so close to the throne time and time again. Like snooze alert! At least Elizabeth Tudor shows wit and charm whenever she ‰ÛÏlucks‰Û out.

Overall, this book was definitely a miss for me. My favourite in the Cousins‰Ûª War is definitely the Lady of the Rivers by far. Even The Red Queen and The White Queen are somewhat passable compared to The Kingmaker‰Ûªs Daughter. So Anne Neville, sadly, you can disappear into the history books thanks to this story. If you want to read a story about Anne Neville, I would recommend ‰ÛÏThe Reluctant Queen‰Û by Jean Plaidy, at least there you get to know Anne better without as much bias and hatred. ( )
  Dream24 | Jan 6, 2016 |
I've never been much of a student of British history, particularly of all the shifts and changes to the monarchy during the times when several powerful families fought over the crown. This novel, narrated by Anne Neville follows England's history through her eyes as Henry VI has been deposed, Edward IV is now king but her father, Richard Neville the Earl of Warwick, become upset after he secretly marries against his wishes. Her father, the so called kingmaker, is a powerful man and it was with his support that Edward came to the throne in the first place. But the new queen's family, the Woodville's, threaten Richard's power and influence and he eventually decides to work against them and the King Edward. Anne's sister Isobel and Anne herself become pawns in his plans, as he tries to place various men of Royal blood on the throne in Edward's place. Much blood is spilt along the way, and Anne has much heartbreak to endure before eventually becoming a queen as the wife of King Richard III.
I was definitely sucked into Anne's story, Gregory did a great job of creating a character who I felt for as she described the dramatic events of her life. There was of course a lot of drama and intrigue and much changing of sides. I kept turning to the real historical accounts to confirm and clarify some of what I was reading, and I suppose the author can be criticized for not always following history faithfully--though much of what she fiddled about with is disputed so her interpretation can be as valid as anyone's. The mystery of the princes in the tower is not given a clear cut answer, so it appears even Anne--the queen of England at the time--is not entirely sure what happened to them. Some readers may be upset with the author over details like these, I for one appreciated an emotionally engaging story that helped me to learn more about the English monarchy than I ever knew before. ( )
  debs4jc | Dec 11, 2015 |
This is the fictionalized story of Anne Neville, the woman who became the wife of Richard III. Her father, the Earl of Warwick, had no sons, so he used his daughters as pawns in his political games, his ultimate goal was to get one of his daughters on the throne as Queen of England.

Anne is married when she is only 14 years old, and as her father makes war on his former friends, she is soon left an orphan and a widow, with her mother in sanctuary, and Anne's sister Isabel is married to the enemy. Anne finally takes some control of her own life when she marries Richard, Duke of Gloucester, but her choices will set her family on a collision course with history.

This is the 4th book in The Cousins' War series, but it also works as a stand alone story, since all the books essentially describe the same events, but from different points of view of the woman involved. I enjoyed this one, but I think it could have been better if it was told not just from Anne's point of view, but her sister Isabel too, who was a very interesting woman in her own right. (Then the title of the book could have been The Kingmaker's "Daughters" instead of "Daughter." ( )
  mom2acat | Jan 9, 2015 |

Gregory, PhilippaAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Amato, BiancaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cottenden, JeffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Li, CherlynneCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My lady mother goes first, a great heiress in her own right, and the wife of the greatest subject in the kingdom.

Spies, poison, and curses surround her…. Is there anyone she can trust?

In The Kingmaker’s Daughter, #1 New York Times bestselling author Philippa Gregory presents a novel of conspiracy and a fight to the death for love and power at the court of Edward IV of England.

The Kingmaker’s Daughter is the gripping story of the daughters of the man known as the “Kingmaker,” Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick: the most powerful magnate in fifteenth-century England. Without a son and heir, he uses his daughters Anne and Isabel as pawns in his political games, and they grow up to be influential players in their own right. In this novel, her first sister story since The Other Boleyn Girl, Philippa Gregory explores the lives of two fascinating young women.

At the court of Edward IV and his beautiful queen, Elizabeth Woodville, Anne grows from a delightful child to become ever more fearful and desperate when her father makes war on his former friends. Married at age fourteen, she is soon left widowed and fatherless, her mother in sanctuary and her sister married to the enemy. Anne manages her own escape by marrying Richard, Duke of Gloucester, but her choice will set her on a collision course with the overwhelming power of the royal family and will cost the lives of those she loves most in the world, including her precious only son, Prince Edward. Ultimately, the kingmaker’s daughter will achieve her father’s greatest ambition.

"Kingmaker" Richard, Earl of Warwick, uses his daughters as political pawns before their strategic marriages place them on opposing sides in a royal war that will cost them everyone they love.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,163,401 books! | Top bar: Always visible