The Kingmaker's Daughter by Philippa…

The Kingmaker's Daughter (edition 2012)

by Philippa Gregory, Bianca Amato (Reader)

920489,529 (3.75)28
Member:thiscatsabroad
Title:The Kingmaker's Daughter
Authors:Philippa Gregory
Other authors:Bianca Amato (Reader)
Info:Simon & Schuster Audio (2012), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD, 400 pages
Rating:***

The Kingmaker's Daughter by Philippa Gregory (Author)

I listened to this book which is part of the Cousins' War series. I have read the previous books which show the War of Roses from the point of view of various women involved. In this one Anne Neville is the narrator and main character.

Anne and Isabel Neville were the only surviving children of the Earl of Warwick who was the mentor to the Yorks and helped put Edward IV on the throne. When he discovered that Edward's wife, Elizabeth Woodville, had such power over her husband that her relations were being given positions of power and wealth Warwick decided to back Edward's younger brother George. He married Isabel to George and went to war with Edward's army. Unfortunately for him George switched sides again and backed his brother. Then Warwick placed his hopes on Anne and married her to the Lancaster heir, Edward. Warwick's army was defeated and Warwick was killed. When Anne and Edward landed they discovered this defeat and tried to get to Wales but the York army caught them. Edward was killed and Anne and his mother were captured. Anne was given into the safekeeping of her sister but she chafed at the restrictions. Richard, the youngest York brother, wooed her and married her in secret. For many years Richard and Anne lived in northern England staying as far from the court as they could. Anne feared Elizabeth Woodville and her mother who were reputed to be witches. Isabel died and George was killed for treason and Anne and Richard raised their two children. Then Edward IV died and his son, Edward, was too young to reign on his own. Richard had been asked by Edward to act as Regent but the Queen had other ideas. Richard took their sons prisoner and kept them in the Tower and then had Edward and Elizabeth's marriage invalidated. He became King Richard III with Anne as his Queen. Anne was never able to enjoy this triumph as her young son died soon after. She thought it was a curse from Elizabeth Woodville for the disappearance and possible death of her own two sons from the Tower.

The next book in this series is The White Princess and I have a copy of it. I'll have to get to it soon. ( )
  gypsysmom | Dec 5, 2016 |
I believe this is my first book about Anne of Neville & Richard the III, or at least, the first with them as major characters. I only know the briefest amounts of history from this period, so I can't attest to the historical accuracy of the book (though I doubt it's accurate; I do enjoy Gregory's book, but they are always way more fiction than fact). I do believe Gregory did what she wanted to do with this book: she got me interested in enough to read more about them, and my to-be-read pile has grown in size, again.

So, the book - I enjoyed it. I haven't read this series in order, but the book reads fine as a stand alone (and I normally HATE reading out of order with a passion & refuse to do it). ( )
  anastaciaknits | Oct 29, 2016 |
(Via Audio) This book has one of the most terrifying and intense childbirth scenes I've ever read, perhaps made all the more intense by the knowledge that it is grounded in at least a kernel of fact. The narration of it was superb.

You can read this just for historical fiction fun, but what I find so amazing in it is what this author is doing as a whole: telling the intense sorry of this cousin's war from the multiple pov (one pov per book) of the women involved. Once again, she breaks ground for women in political historical fiction. ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |
The War of Roses, what a mess, what a bunch of power hungry backstabbing maniacs. What a time (I would sure not have liked to live then), and a time that is fascinating to read about.

This book is about Anne Neville, daughter of the Warwick the Kingmaker. Anne who was married to the not so successful Lancaster Prince Edward and later to Richard of York. Always a pawn in the hands of men.

I did like her at first, she has a brain, she thought about things, but the later part of the book started to change that. She was paranoid, she never used her head, she believed everything told to her, she never questioned things, she was always scared, she was a grey little mouse, a sour cow, and the b word too. I kind of lost respect for her there at the end. Always with the constant we hate the Rivers. She was cold. At least she felt like this to me. And she was naive too. But hey, then I always hated the Nevilles. Do not ask me why. But even if I disliked her at the end it sure did not take away the pleasure of reading a good novel.

Richard I liked, he was portrayed as honorable (for the most part). Sure he had his hidden agendas but hey who has not.

I can read a lot of books about the same time it seems, I never get tired. Because every time it is through the eyes of someone new, a new perspective. And here, oh it just shows what backstabbers everyone was, Warvick, the York boys. It was never enough for any of them, always more more more. Some issues for sure.

A turbulent time viewed by a woman, not always at the center of things, but always behind the men who were.

A great tale from Gregory and I look forward to her next book which will be about Princess Elizabeth of York. ( )
  blodeuedd | Mar 2, 2016 |
The Kingmaker's Daughter by Philippa Gregory - good

I've always liked historical fiction (in my teens I devoured Jean Plaidy books) and I like Philippa Gregory. She researches her subject in detail and then builds up a story around the facts. Of course, it is fiction, but....

I have to admit to being a little varied in my feelings on her Cousins' War books. Whilst I have no problem with her characters believing that someone was practising witchcraft, I don't like the idea that the characters themselves believed they could do so. This means that I didn't particularly like The White Queen, and haven't managed to start The Lady of the Rivers yet. I did, however, like The Red Queen and I especially liked this book.

Anne Neville (the Kingmaker's Daughter in question) is someone I knew very little about other than her existence. What the author achieves here (and with the other books in the series) is show us the events from differing viewpoints: York, Lancaster and Warwick: a family who tried to manipulate the succession, changing sides to suit and to advance their own fortunes.

All very interesting. I already have The Lady of the Rivers and The White Princess, I shall certainly read the latter pretty soon and will continue to debate reading the former. The beauty of it being the same story from different pov's means it really doesn't matter too much if I skip it or read it out of order. ( )
  Cassandra2020 | Jan 24, 2016 |

Gregory, PhilippaAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Amato, BiancaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cottenden, JeffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Li, CherlynneCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My lady mother goes first, a great heiress in her own right, and the wife of the greatest subject in the kingdom.

Spies, poison, and curses surround her…. Is there anyone she can trust?

In The Kingmaker’s Daughter, #1 New York Times bestselling author Philippa Gregory presents a novel of conspiracy and a fight to the death for love and power at the court of Edward IV of England.

The Kingmaker’s Daughter is the gripping story of the daughters of the man known as the “Kingmaker,” Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick: the most powerful magnate in fifteenth-century England. Without a son and heir, he uses his daughters Anne and Isabel as pawns in his political games, and they grow up to be influential players in their own right. In this novel, her first sister story since The Other Boleyn Girl, Philippa Gregory explores the lives of two fascinating young women.

At the court of Edward IV and his beautiful queen, Elizabeth Woodville, Anne grows from a delightful child to become ever more fearful and desperate when her father makes war on his former friends. Married at age fourteen, she is soon left widowed and fatherless, her mother in sanctuary and her sister married to the enemy. Anne manages her own escape by marrying Richard, Duke of Gloucester, but her choice will set her on a collision course with the overwhelming power of the royal family and will cost the lives of those she loves most in the world, including her precious only son, Prince Edward. Ultimately, the kingmaker’s daughter will achieve her father’s greatest ambition.

"Kingmaker" Richard, Earl of Warwick, uses his daughters as political pawns before their strategic marriages place them on opposing sides in a royal war that will cost them everyone they love.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,691,585 books! | Top bar: Always visible