The Kingmaker's Daughter by Philippa…

The Kingmaker's Daughter (edition 2012)

by Philippa Gregory, Bianca Amato (Reader)

Member:thiscatsabroad
Title:The Kingmaker's Daughter
Authors:Philippa Gregory
Other authors:Bianca Amato (Reader)
Info:Simon & Schuster Audio (2012), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD, 400 pages
Rating:***

The Kingmaker's Daughter by Philippa Gregory

The story of Anne Neville. It is told in 1st person by Anne. Since it is from her perception often we have to rely on other people telling her what had been happening that she wasn't involved in.

Her sister really did give birth on the sea voyage and the baby did die, but having Anne have to deliver the baby seemed a bit much.

I liked Anne's reaction to having to marry the son of the "bad queen."

Richard is portrayed as loving Anne and being interested in the money and power he gains from her inheritance. The question is often did he marry for love or money, well why couldn't have been a combination of both.

It was annoying how during her marriage every thing that went wrong was the witch Queen Elizabeth's fault.

After the death of her son Anne just gives up. ( )
  nx74defiant | Mar 16, 2017 |
Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick, is known as the Kingmaker. His daughters Isabel and Anne are just pawns in his political games. As Anne grows she comes to realise the games her father is playing and her place in them as he turns on his former friends. Married at 14, she is soon widowed and her father killed on the battlefield. Her only option for survival is to marry Richard, Duke of Gloucester. She finds love with him, but will never be free of the political game playing and maneuvering required to keep their positions and their family safe. When they are crowned King and Queen, there are even more who would seize power from them and destroy their family.

A well researched story bringing women's stories to the fore with the sumptuousness and ruthlessness of court explored in depth. However I couldn't help feeling appalled about how those at court lived compared to those ordinary people struggling in hardship and suffering who seem to get little thought during the posturing and political game playing. ( )
  DebbieMcCauley | Feb 4, 2017 |
I can't tell you how much I love reading Philippa Gregory's books. In fact, she's getting very close to dethroning Anne Rice as my favourite author of all time. Wow.

The Kingmaker's Daughter is the story of Anne Neville, daughter of the Earl of Warwick (named the Kingmaker) who successfully survived a forced marriage and subsequent widowhood, then navigated the deadly politics of the time; which included changing allegiances and the execution of her father.

Anne Neville became Queen of England in 1483, but even knowing the historical outcome in advance didn't stop me from being gripped by her journey to the throne as told by the author.

The Kingmaker's Daughter is the fourth book in the Cousins' War series, however it can easily be read out of sequence and as a stand alone novel.

In a period where parents named their children after their fathers or the king, many of the characters share the same name. But don't panic, Gregory always manages to keep the characters separate in the reader's minds. This is a difficult feat and not one easily achieved by other historical fiction authors I've read; and I've read quite a few!

If you have even the slightest interest in the history of the period (mid to late 1400s England) then you are in the safest of hands with Philippa Gregory. She has a natural gift for making any period in history relatable and easy to follow despite the complexities of the times. Whenever I pick up one of her novels I'm thoroughly transported, entertained and educated without even realising it.

The Kingmaker's Daughter is outstanding, I loved loved loved it! ( )
  Carpe_Librum | Dec 29, 2016 |
I listened to this book which is part of the Cousins' War series. I have read the previous books which show the War of Roses from the point of view of various women involved. In this one Anne Neville is the narrator and main character.

Anne and Isabel Neville were the only surviving children of the Earl of Warwick who was the mentor to the Yorks and helped put Edward IV on the throne. When he discovered that Edward's wife, Elizabeth Woodville, had such power over her husband that her relations were being given positions of power and wealth Warwick decided to back Edward's younger brother George. He married Isabel to George and went to war with Edward's army. Unfortunately for him George switched sides again and backed his brother. Then Warwick placed his hopes on Anne and married her to the Lancaster heir, Edward. Warwick's army was defeated and Warwick was killed. When Anne and Edward landed they discovered this defeat and tried to get to Wales but the York army caught them. Edward was killed and Anne and his mother were captured. Anne was given into the safekeeping of her sister but she chafed at the restrictions. Richard, the youngest York brother, wooed her and married her in secret. For many years Richard and Anne lived in northern England staying as far from the court as they could. Anne feared Elizabeth Woodville and her mother who were reputed to be witches. Isabel died and George was killed for treason and Anne and Richard raised their two children. Then Edward IV died and his son, Edward, was too young to reign on his own. Richard had been asked by Edward to act as Regent but the Queen had other ideas. Richard took their sons prisoner and kept them in the Tower and then had Edward and Elizabeth's marriage invalidated. He became King Richard III with Anne as his Queen. Anne was never able to enjoy this triumph as her young son died soon after. She thought it was a curse from Elizabeth Woodville for the disappearance and possible death of her own two sons from the Tower.

The next book in this series is The White Princess and I have a copy of it. I'll have to get to it soon. ( )
  gypsysmom | Dec 5, 2016 |
I believe this is my first book about Anne of Neville & Richard the III, or at least, the first with them as major characters. I only know the briefest amounts of history from this period, so I can't attest to the historical accuracy of the book (though I doubt it's accurate; I do enjoy Gregory's book, but they are always way more fiction than fact). I do believe Gregory did what she wanted to do with this book: she got me interested in enough to read more about them, and my to-be-read pile has grown in size, again.

So, the book - I enjoyed it. I haven't read this series in order, but the book reads fine as a stand alone (and I normally HATE reading out of order with a passion & refuse to do it). ( )
  anastaciaknits | Oct 29, 2016 |

Gregory, Philippaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Amato, BiancaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cottenden, JeffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Li, CherlynneCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My lady mother goes first, a great heiress in her own right, and the wife of the greatest subject in the kingdom.

Spies, poison, and curses surround her…. Is there anyone she can trust?

In The Kingmaker’s Daughter, #1 New York Times bestselling author Philippa Gregory presents a novel of conspiracy and a fight to the death for love and power at the court of Edward IV of England.

The Kingmaker’s Daughter is the gripping story of the daughters of the man known as the “Kingmaker,” Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick: the most powerful magnate in fifteenth-century England. Without a son and heir, he uses his daughters Anne and Isabel as pawns in his political games, and they grow up to be influential players in their own right. In this novel, her first sister story since The Other Boleyn Girl, Philippa Gregory explores the lives of two fascinating young women.

At the court of Edward IV and his beautiful queen, Elizabeth Woodville, Anne grows from a delightful child to become ever more fearful and desperate when her father makes war on his former friends. Married at age fourteen, she is soon left widowed and fatherless, her mother in sanctuary and her sister married to the enemy. Anne manages her own escape by marrying Richard, Duke of Gloucester, but her choice will set her on a collision course with the overwhelming power of the royal family and will cost the lives of those she loves most in the world, including her precious only son, Prince Edward. Ultimately, the kingmaker’s daughter will achieve her father’s greatest ambition.

"Kingmaker" Richard, Earl of Warwick, uses his daughters as political pawns before their strategic marriages place them on opposing sides in a royal war that will cost them everyone they love.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,412,861 books! | Top bar: Always visible