My Brilliant Friend by Elena Ferrante

My Brilliant Friend (2011)

by Elena Ferrante

Series: Neapolitan Novels (1)

3,3421942,290 (3.87)322
    The Country Girls by Edna O'Brien (susanbooks)
    susanbooks: Both are gorgeous novels about young girls' friendships and how they're complicated by class, family, desire.
    Small Ceremonies by Carol Shields (aileverte)
    aileverte: Carol Shields and Elena Ferrante have similar sensibilities, write about the lives of slightly less than average women, offer insights into the writer's craft.
    The Day Before Happiness by Erri De Luca (Widsith)
    Widsith: Two books about growing up in Naples in the 1950s, with illuminating differences – Ferrante writing the start of an epic series following girls from the housing estates, De Luca a short, concise look at a boy in the historical centre… both fascinating in divergent ways.… (more)
    Our Lady of the Nile by Scholastique Mukasonga (rrmmff2000)

English (161)  Italian (8)  Dutch (7)  Spanish (5)  French (3)  German (2)  Swedish (2)  Catalan (2)  Piratical (1)  Danish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (194)
Interesting story, with memorable characters. If this is what growing up in Naples was like for the author - yikes! Ferrante describes a brutal childhood, not as much for the main character as for her best friend and others. Beating of wives and children are an everyday occurrence, boys throw rocks at the girls on the way home, boys beat each other up regularly, women fight one another, brothers beat sisters.... Obviously no "Children's Services Dept." here!

That aside, the descriptions of the community and day to day lives are well done, and the viewpoint of this bright girl with next to no self-confidence is engrossing. The "Brilliant Friend" Lila, is an fascinating character - for a while. It is a period/place I have not read of before and just for that reason I was intrigued. Definitely will look for the next 3 books! May even make my two girls read them to see how good they had it growing up with me as their mom! ( )
  Rdra1962 | Aug 1, 2018 |
Eu nem ia escrever a minha opinião sobre este livro (por preguiça mesmo) mas, durante a leitura apercebi-me que foram raros os livros que li que focassem a amizade no feminino. O mais recente foi talvez o [b:Anne dos Cabelos Ruivos|23667113|Anne dos Cabelos Ruivos|L.M. Montgomery|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1417638279s/23667113.jpg|3464264] . Enquanto que em "Anne" a amizade é retratada como uma fonte de alegria, companheirismo e até uma dádiva, no "A Amiga Genial" é-nos dada uma versão mais realista, dura e complexa do que constitui a amizade entre duas meninas que se tornam mulheres.
Aqui temos a Elena, quem conta a história, e Lila de quem é amiga desde pequena. A relação de ambas ao longo dos anos, com os seus momentos de felicidade, desilusões, competições e admiração mútua foi o que mais me encantou neste livro por estar tão bem retratado, de uma forma simples mas complexa. Há também todo um universo além da amizade delas as duas: há o bairro pobre de Nápoles dos anos 50 onde cresceram e que as moldou e moldou as suas perspectivas do mundo. Há os rapazes, a família e a máfia. E tudo isto é nos revelado de uma forma tão orgânica que sentimos que crescemos com elas, naquele tempo e aquele local.
Fico contente por ter ficado fascinada (e obcecada) por Elena Ferrante e por ter comprado o livro, tão bem traduzido e editado pela Relógio D'Água, quando ainda me apetecia lê-lo. Valeu a pena. ( )
  Telma_tx | Jul 30, 2018 |
I definitely plan on enjoying this series. I was intimidated by the cast of characters at the beginning of the book since I have a hard time managing to flip "pages" on my Kindle, but it didn't turn out to be a problem. ( )
  CSKteach | Jul 20, 2018 |
What an amazing book! Mr Brilliant Friend starts with Lila disappearing at the age of 60 and her brother Rino calling her best friend Elena and she explains she always wanted to disappear let her be. The story then goes back to their childhood when they became friends up to when they are 15 and it is told from Elena's perspective. The inspire and challenge each other but end up in completely different paths of life. I loved how female friendship is portrayed, because it is complicated especially when you are a teenager. There are a lot of characters and there is a list of each of them and their families at the beginning but the author does a good job at reminding the reader who is who as the story progresses. The writing is beautiful, Elena's introspection refreshing and realistic. I look forward to finishing the series and reading her other books. I would looove to find out who the author really is, lots of speculation but nothing confirmed. ( )
  wellreadcatlady | Jul 9, 2018 |
took a bit to get in to the story, the beginning was rather off putting. As I became engaged with the characters it got much better. ( )
  mouse612 | Jul 6, 2018 |

Ferrante, Elenaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Goldstein, AnnTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gross, NinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sørsdal, KristinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
THE LORD: Therein thou’rt free, according to thy merits;

The like of thee have never moved My hate.

Of all the bold, denying Spirits,

The waggish knave least trouble doth create.

Man’s active nature, flagging, seeks too soon the level;

Unqualified repose he learns to crave;

Whence, willingly, the comrade him I gave,

Who works, excites, and must create, as Devil.--J.W. GOETHE, Faust, translation by Baynard Taylor
This morning Rino telephoned.

The story of Elena and Lila begins in a poor but vibrant neighbourhood  on the outskirts of Naples. The two girls learn to rely on each other ahead of anyone or anything else, sometimes to their own detriment, as each discovers more about who she is and suffers or delights in the throes of their intense relationship.

Beginning in the 1950s Elena and Lila grow up in Naples, Italy, mirroring two different aspects of their nation.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,013,426 books! | Top bar: Always visible