20,000 Leagues Under The Sea (Scholastic…

20,000 Leagues Under The Sea (Scholastic Classics)

by Jules Verne

English (7)  Spanish (1)  All languages (8)
There was a lot in this book that I can talk about (many of it, I don’t think I would know about), most of it scientific; from marine biology, ocean currents, geology and engineering. I’m not sure how accurate everything is, but if it is accurate it would be very impressive. Setting aside all the science, this is an interesting book, but I felt that at most times when it was about to get exciting it become anti-climatic. I spent most of the time wanting the Giant Squid (or devil fish) to come along to push the excitement level up, but this just never came, until finally near the end. But it was there and it was over as quick as every other climax in this book.

It reminds me of those old corny adventure movies from my childhood. While there is a short burst of climax throughout the book/movie, but nothing really happen. It was an enjoyable read, but I wanted so much more from this classic tale and it never delivered. ( )
  knowledgelost | Mar 31, 2013 |
Long winded but good. ( )
  Anguirus | Mar 12, 2009 |
  KGVLibrary | Dec 1, 2008 |
If you don't know the story, it's about a naturalist, Professor Arronax, and his assistant on a quest to find the giant sea creature that's been menacing the seas. But the sea creature turns out to be a submarine, the Nautilus, and they're joined by the harpooner Ned Land in being rescued/captured by its crew when their attack on it fails.

I definitely encountered this book far too late to fully enjoy it. Like when I tried re-reading Tolkein a couple of years ago, I found I lacked the patience to read through pages and pages of interminable description. There were several times when I just couldn't stand it any longer and I'd put the book down and go do something else. Only sheer stubbornness made me finish it.

The story itself was interesting, though the style of the times was a bit of an obstacle. The enigmatic Captain Nemo is never fully explained, nor are the professor and his two companions. It's left up to the reader to fill in the blanks. The professor's unconcern about his imprisonment on the submarine is partially explained by his fascination with the undersea worlds he encounters; the complacence of his assistant and Ned Land are less understandable. Ned Land does try to escape occasionally, but he's portrayed as narrow-mindedly violent because of that, which I found peculiar.

I do see why films were made from this--condensing those descriptive passages into scenery would make the action and adventure parts of the story stand out more. I've never seen one, but I'm thinking of adding one to the Netflix queue. Any suggestions of which version to try?

In short, I'm giving this 4 stars for the story, but 2 stars for the pain of reading it. ( )
  Darla | Nov 22, 2008 |
I don't know why this disappreciation of Verne's language has happened, but I was not struck by the idea of a great writer as I read this for the umpteenth time. Maybe it was the translation, as French is axed when brought under the umblat reign of English. Having said that, the journey of Ned Land with Captain Nemo throuigh the perils of deep sea caverns, giant squids, and the monomaniaical purpose of the Captain, is always a pleasure. ( )
  andyray | Jun 14, 2008 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0439227151, Mass Market Paperback)

One of the most thrilling science fiction adventures of all time, now with an introduction by Bruce Coville.

A huge sea monster has attacked and wrecked several ships from beneath the sea. Professor Arronax bravely joins a mission to hunt down the beast. He goes aboard the Nautilus, a secret submarine helmed by the mysterious Captain Nemo.
At first, the mission is exciting, as Nemo takes Arronax on a voyage around the underwater world. But when things start to go wrong, Arronax finds there's no escape from the Nautilus. He is now Captain Nemo's captive--20,000 leagues under the sea!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:06:28 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,608,528 books! | Top bar: Always visible