dismiss

Flambards Divided by K.M. Peyton

Flambards Divided (edition 1991)

by K.M. Peyton

Widowed Christine marries hard-working Dick, hoping to make Flambards a thriving farm again, but their life is complicated when her cousin Mark returns from the war gravely wounded.
Member:konallis
Title:Flambards Divided
Authors:K.M. Peyton
Info:London : Penguin, 1991.
Tags:First World War, children's/young adult, historical fiction

Flambards Divided by K. M. Peyton

Gee, I really hated this book. It's everything I don't want to read- melodramatic romance with Mary Sue and all the men in the world who can't live without her. Gack. And yes, I read the whole damned thing but only because I had no other book to hand and I was in bed and it was too cold to get up and get a decent book. I would have been much happier if I'd stopped after the first book in this series. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
Protagonist: Christina Wright
Setting: Flambards, a country estate in Essex, England at the end of World War I
Series: #4

Flambards Divided is the last installment of a popular British series. I came to the books through the wonderful series that Granada Television filmed in 1978. It was shown on PBS here in the US in 1980. When reading the credits, I saw the books mentioned, and I had to get them. I think it was Flambards that began my interest in the World War I era, so it turned out to be an expensive series to watch. It combines my love, not only of that period of history, but also of country houses, early aviation and horses.

Widowed a year earlier, Christina has bought the Flambards estate and has worked hard to bring it back to life. She scandalizes the neighborhood by marrying Dick Wright, formerly employed there as a stable boy. There's trouble in paradise because Dick simply will not ingratiate himself with the local gentry who treated him so shabbily years before. Christina becomes rather tired of being stuck at Flambards playing the dutiful wife who can only watch the children, sew, and make sure her man is fed. Her first marriage had been full of adventure and a sense of independence.

Into this uneasiness comes Mark Russell, brother of Christina's deceased husband--a man who's been in love with her for a long time and just so happens to be married to Christina's best friend. All the makings of a potboiler, I know, but it all works because these characters have become friends over 25 years. I don't think Christina will be any happier with her decision at the end, but it wasn't mine to choose. This was an enjoyable comfort read. ( )
1 vote cathyskye | Jan 8, 2007 |
I was quite worried that I wouldn't enjoy this because I'd heard lots of people say that Peyton shouldn't have added a fourth to the trilogy but I was pleasantly surprised. Interesting look at the problems of inter-class marriage in the 1950s. Oddly I can't remember how this book finished, even though it's only a couple of weeks since I read it. ( )
  alicebook | Apr 2, 2006 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 143,807,629 books! | Top bar: Always visible