A Wanted Man by Lee Child

A Wanted Man (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Lee Child

1,099None7,515 (3.66)56
Member:mrmapcase
Title:A Wanted Man
Authors:Lee Child
Info:Bantam Press UK (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 432 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:Fiction, Mystery, Nebraska, FRR

A Wanted Man by Lee Child (2012)

2012 (19) action (7) audio (5) audiobook (9) CIA (12) crime (18) ebook (13) FBI (20) fiction (96) Iowa (5) Jack Reacher (58) kidnapping (5) Kindle (12) Lee Child (5) library (8) murder (10) mystery (65) Nebraska (18) novel (6) Reacher (13) read (18) read in 2012 (8) read in 2013 (6) series (14) suspense (20) terrorism (7) terrorists (5) thriller (73) to-read (15) USA (10)

I enjoy this series immensely, in spite of the fact that it's pretty formulaic. ( )
  Johanna_Talbott | Apr 7, 2014 |
Finally made it through. I just don't see the appeal to the Reacher character. Too much boasting and killing of innocent people for me. Story had very little substance for me and what it did have, in my opinion, was quite implausible. I need a little more Non-Fiction in my Fiction novels. ( )
  stevewhite71 | Mar 19, 2014 |
Not my favourite Jack Reacher novel. Lots of FBI, CIA, terrorism, counter terrorism, etc. A bit longer and more repetitive than it needed to be. Still found it hard to put down. ( )
  arcona | Mar 9, 2014 |
This is the first Jack Reacher book I read - I keep confusing Lee Child with James Lee Burke [don't judge me] and I thought he might be too American for me. Ironic considering he's actually English, which might be one of the reasons I found this such a comfortable read.

Former military policeman Jack Reacher, now something of an eccentric drifter making his vague way to Virginia, gets a lift with three people claiming they are returning from a team-building session. Nothing is as it seems however and Jack realises the men in the car are lying to him and the woman is a hostage.

Tremendously exciting - it might not be great literature but it is a great thriller. ( )
  adpaton | Jan 14, 2014 |
Spoiler Alert! Why is what I'm about to say spoilery? Because just by the very fact that Lee Child has written another Jack Reacher novel, readers of his previous novels already know: (1) after mouthing several witty macho bon mots, Jack Reacher will get into one or more fist fights, which he will win handily; (2) Jack (unlike Joe Nesbo’s Harry Hole) is unlikely to get hurt badly; (3) Jack will brush his teeth, at least once, anyway; (4) there will be bad guys who have no socially redeeming characteristics; (5) the bad guys will come to an unpleasant end, administered by Jack; (6) action will move very quickly; (7) most of the numerous chapters will end with a sentence that will make the reader start the next chapter; (8) the women in the story will overcome their initial repulsion towards Jack and end up liking him, maybe even having sex with him; (9) Jack will not purchase any real estate; and (10) Jack will quote numerous statistical factoids like a particular city’s population or the depth of its largest lake.

Super Spoiler Alert--Do not read the following paragraph if you want to be surprised!!

Jack takes a shower AND applies deodorant.

End of Super Spoiler.

The rest of the book is pretty much a reprise of the themes outlined in the first paragraph of this review with action involving terrorists, a murder, and a kidnapping. I won’t spoil your reading by disclosing any more specific about the plot, but rest assured it is enjoyable, largely because of Child’s masterful execution of themes (1), (6), and (7) above.

Evaluation: I read all 533 pages of the paperback version in two days, but you may wish to finish it in one. A perfect airplane book for a cross-continental flight: it’s fast-paced, fun, and is the perfect adult analogue to a young kid’s comic book.

(JAB) ( )
  nbmars | Sep 28, 2013 |
“The truth about Reacher gets better and better.”
added by cmwilson101 | editThe New York Times, Janet Maslin

For Jane,
standing by the major oak
The eyewitness said he didn't actually see it happen.

Four people in a car, hoping to make Chicago by morning. One man driving, eyes on the road. Another man next to him, telling stories that don’t add up. A woman in the back, silent and worried. And next to her, a huge man with a broken nose, hitching a ride east to Virginia.

All Reacher wanted was a ride to Virginia. All he did was stick out his thumb. But he soon discovers he has hitched more than a ride. He has tied himself to a massive conspiracy that makes him a threat—to both sides at once.

In Lee Child’s white-hot thriller, nothing is what it seems, and nobody is telling the truth. As the tension rises, the twists come fast and furious, keeping readers guessing and gasping until the explosive finale.

Four people in a car, hoping to make Chicago by morning. One man driving, eyes on the road. Another man next to him, telling stories that don't add up. A woman in the back, silent and worried. And next to her, a huge man with a broken nose, hitching a ride east to Virginia. An hour behind them, a man lies stabbed to death in an old pumping station. He was seen going in with two others, but he never came out. He has been executed, the knife work professional, the killers vanished. Within minutes, the police are notified. Within hours, the FBI descends, laying claim to the victim without ever saying who he was or why he was there. All Reacher wanted was a ride to Virginia. All he did was stick out his thumb. But he soon discovers he has hitched more than a ride. He has tied himself to a massive conspiracy that makes him a threat to both sides at once.… (more)

Lee Child is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,494,680 books! | Top bar: Always visible