Elementals: Stories of Fire and Ice by A. S.…

Elementals: Stories of Fire and Ice (1998)

by A. S. Byatt

Recently added byNoumena_Press, jkwouden, Hansford, private library, adryon, MissSos, Dureo, waugh2k, stevenjay

My favorite collection of short stories by Byatt. I keep wandering back to it and flipping through the pages, and then I end up reading the whole thing over again. "Cold" is fantastic. I've tried to explain it to people, and the plot sounds so cheesy, but you have to read it to understand its beauty. "A Lamia in the Cevennes" and "Crocodile Tears" were also favorites. One thing I love about her stories is that they can be so real, and have that one element that is just the opposite. A lot of great stories in here, with gorgeous descriptions. ( )
  bookwormam | Jul 8, 2014 |
All the stories are rich in physical detail. The people and the places have a very good description. And color has an important function. The message of Byatt that art, curiosity and stories will save us, is very engaging. ( )
  timswings | Aug 28, 2013 |
I think it probably speaks volumes that I know I've read this - I remember reading it - but I can barely remember one of the stories and can't remember any of the others, although I know I finished the book. I need to accept that Byatt and I simply don't get on.
  imyril | Aug 14, 2013 |
Elementals explores the ideas of fire and ice in several different ways.

It varies from "Cold", a fairy tale story with literal fire and ice in the form of an ice princess who marries a fire oriented prince, to "Crocodile Tears", a modern story with no magic where the ice manifests as a motif symbolizing guilt and grief.

With such a short collection - just six stories- I was disappointed that there was one that fell completely flat for me ("Baglady"), but as it was very short, just ten pages or so, it was over quickly.

My two favorites are the aforementioned "Cold" and "A Lamia in the Cevennes", a story which contrasts an artists obsession with perfection and a Lamia's desire to be human. It's given an added layer if you've read the source poem, Keat's "Lamia". ( )
  Melanti | Mar 30, 2013 |
A collection of six short stories from A.S. Byatt. Themes of memory, sadness and alienation run through the collection. The use of language and imagery is wonderful, with the use of light and colour being most noticeable to me. As always with collections I preferred some of the stories, but all of them had aspects that I enjoyed. All in all a delightful read. ( )
  calm | Aug 18, 2010 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375705759, Paperback)

A.S. Byatt's stories simmer with a sensuality and passion that, like topiary trees in a formal garden, are pruned and trained into cultivated shapes while retaining the wild scent of the orchard. In "Crocodile Tears" a woman walks away from a personal tragedy, deserting those she loves to try to reconcile herself to a death for which she feels horribly responsible. Thrown together in Nîmes with another exiled mourner, a Norwegian full of northern folktales, she ricochets between a numbed calm and a reckless urge for self-destruction. Together they begin to assemble some kind of personal solace out of fragments of European history, fiction, and myth, and so come to terms with their guilt. "A Lamia in the Cevennes" is also set in France, where another isolated English exile struggles for self-knowledge amid the shards of history and folktale. "Cold" is itself a kind of latter-day fairy story of ice princesses and sighing suitors. These are stories steeped in light and color, full of glowing landscapes and sensuous delights. Their intricately woven skeins of literary allusion and keenly observed locations bewitch the reader. Yet the figures in Byatt's landscapes seem powerless to derive pleasure or solace from their surroundings, picking their lonely way through the brilliance, carrying with them burdens of painful memories they cannot shake off. --Lisa Jardine, Amazon.co.uk

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:02 -0400)

A collection of stories on the theme of opposites. In Cold, a princess from a cold climate risks her health to marry a prince from a hot desert, while in Christ in the House of Martha and Mary an artist opens a cook's eyes to cooking as art.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,553,729 books! | Top bar: Always visible